• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Venom Fox

Banned
I've spent thousands on my PSN account's digital library. I even bought a physical copy of No Man's Sky for a friend.

Don't tell me I'm a thief.
It's apparent to me that this has hurt your feelings. I think you should honestly stop trying to explain yourself and just accept that people can be idiots sometimes and don't want to know the reasoning behind getting refunded.
Thief! You stole your friends time!
You bad, bad man
;P
JK <3

I've spent thousands on my PSN account's digital library. I even bought a physical copy of No Man's Sky for a friend.

No joke man, what sort of Grim Dark Warner Brothers future are we living in if people that are legitimately buying games are getting accused of thievery for refunding broken and utterly disappointing games.

darthbob

Hey! You bought a game that doesn't function correctly and you spent a lot of time trying to play it but gave up because it still isn't functioning correctly and then managed to secure a refund on said non-functional game. Thief!

/s

He has to misrepresent or ignore proper context, otherwise he would have to acknowledge the legitimacy of your grievance. Or at a minimum defend withholding recourse when a product is functionally broken.

For him its just easier to try and re-frame the situation as you playing the game 50 hours and just conning Sony to get your money back.

This is exactly what it seems like is going on. Unfortunately for him,

gabe-newell-valve-online-marketing.png

Corpekata

Banned
"You don&#8217;t own a game. You buy a licence to play it. I bought physical games in 1982, 1992 and 2002. Can&#8217;t play them!"

The fact a developer tweeted this, even though it's true, like it was a defense is sort of bafflingly tone deaf. Haha, games have been in a fucked position consumer right wise for a long time guys, so that makes everything hunky dory.

No one who has a good head on their shoulders is calling you that.

We've been conditioned to accept the old switcheroo far too many times. I'm glad you made this thread, looks like some good is coming out of it!

People always say vote with your wallet. Well, you did. Don't let anyone try to turn it around on you just because you managed to actually do something about it.

Stuart444

"You don’t own a game. You buy a licence to play it. I bought physical games in 1982, 1992 and 2002. Can’t play them!"

The fact a developer tweeted this, even though it's true, like it was a defense is sort of bafflingly tone deaf.

Funny thing is. Depending on the game, you could play them.

Plenty of programs on PC to make older games work.

Console wise: Buy a NES/SNES/PS1/N64, etc etc. and you can play any game you bought no matter how long ago that was.

While the first bit may be true (Software is licensed and all that shit), the second bit is demonstrably false. Any game he mentions is probably playable. It just depends on what hoops you need to jump through. Be it download a program for PC to make an older game work, or buy an old console.

GeNoMe

"You don’t own a game. You buy a licence to play it. I bought physical games in 1982, 1992 and 2002. Can’t play them!"

The fact a developer tweeted this, even though it's true, like it was a defense is sort of bafflingly tone deaf. Haha, games have been in a fucked position consumer right wise for a long time guys, so that makes everything hunky dory.

I was literately just reading that tweet, and just burst out in laughter.
What the fuck is this guy on? How is this defending the whole NMS debacle?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, whatever it is Ultimatum Games is making, I'm out.

Farewell

Why does a tweet from an ex sony employee matter to you? What makes his opinion so different from others. He doesn't even know your real name.

what's with all this handwringing over refunds. i don't get it. i've never seen an industry where the consumers were so utterly preoccupied with corporate welfare.

edit: reading back some pages this thread is hilarious.... just report the bugs they'll fix em up! lmao @ this line of reasoning being dropped in a thread for no man's sky.

Why does a tweet from an ex sony employee matter to you? What makes his opinion so different from others. He doesn't even know your real name.

Yeah. OP, just ignore the guy. In the context of this NMS debacle and this refund thread, he's a nobody. Don't give him any more importance than he deserves.

Your comment hurts my brain.

Don't be offended at a comment someone makes to you because they don't even know you IRL! /s

ignoreyoz5j.gif

Trash post.

Jonm1010

Banned

I mean he represents an escalation of rhetoric toward him given his position(or past position) and platform from what began as a simple reply to a thread he didn't even create. Pushing back against that or getting a bit upset seems completely rational.

Frankly it could be thrown back at you, what does it matter that anyone ever says anything to you on a forum? Why do you ever feel prompted to respond to anyone on the internet? Should we start questioning why you reply to something said about you every time you do?

Definitely not a fan of Shahid atm, but a lot of the racist vitriol he seems to be getting off Twitter at the moment is vile.

Kinda glad I didn't bother buying this game I was hopeful initially though. Definitely waiting to see if Star Citizen lives up to any of its hype.

ash321

Because the Shahid guy hurt his feeling ?

Just like how everyone on the NMS OT thread claim we hurt Sean feeling.

The man paid for a game, said game doesn't work after 50 hours, returned it (like everyone should) had been called "Thief"

On the other hand we have a freaking liar, on national TV, sell people snake oil for 60$ and people claim refund hurt his feeling.

Venom Fox

Banned
Well, yeah, that's crazy. Why would you ask for your money back after 80 hours of playtime?
Because after around 75 hours the game kept crashing when I bought a 34 slot Ship and maxed out my Exo Suit. Everytime I Hyper drive and a 50/50 chance when opening the game. I tried putting up with it for nearly 5 hours more, crashing every 20 odd minutes ish.

It's literally unplayable in that state. My only option would be to delete my save and could never progress in the game. Hence it's a broken product and I'm entitled to a refund.

Edit: I loved the game. It pissed me off about the missing stuff but I can look past that. I can't however be ripped off by a broken product.

Edit 2: 3 times I think it hard locked my system which can cause HDD corruption. I have PT on there so fuck letting that get deleted.

Farewell

I mean he represents an escalation of rhetoric toward him given his position(or past position) and platform from what began as a simple reply to a thread he didn't even create.

Frankly it could be thrown back at you, what does it matter that anyone ever says anything to you on a forum? Why do you ever feel prompted to respond to anyone on the internet? Should we start questioning why you reply to something said about you every time you do?

Yea my sentence didn't make sense, i meant he can't name shame and claim he is a thief, was poorly written by me.

kiguel182

If the game crashes then it crashes and you should be offered a refund. No matter how much you've played of it. Any other reason I don't agree with but that one its impossible to argue with.

Games are art but if you buy a movie and it stops working in the middle you still deserve a refund.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Because after around 75 hours the game kept crashing when I bought a 34 slot Ship and maxed out my Exo Suit. Everytime I Hyper drive and a 50/50 chance when opening the game. I tried putting up with it for nearly 5 hours more, crashing every 20 odd minutes ish.

It's literally unplayable in that state. My only option would be to delete my save and could never progress in the game. Hence it's a broken product and I'm entitled to a refund.

Edit: I loved the game. It pissed me off about the missing stuff but I can look past that. I can't however be ripped off by a broken product.

Ah OK, I apologise for jumping the gun a bit up there. I'm not too clued in to the state of the PC version.

Venom Fox

Banned
Ah OK, I apologise for jumping the gun a bit up there. I'm not too clued in to the state of the PC version.
Nah its cool. Just responded to enlighten people that shit does break after a crazy amount of time. It genuinely upset me as well. I was having a ton of fun in the game and the OT'S on here until I just couldn't go on. The crashes started becoming bad and it just took all my fun away.

Btw don't apologise man, no need for that :)

Chucker

I just got my refund from PSN. Thank you to the OP. I've been very bothered about my decision to buy this game.

How far in were you? Did you say it was crashing, or misled? UK or US?
I'm trying to beat this 12% number they threw at me last time :(

It's good people are getting refunds for the game crashing and being buggy. As far as I see it it is the same as when players got refunds for arkham city being broken. It should not matter how much you've played it, the only concerns should be if it is faulty and how long you have owned it before making your complaint.

Jonm1010

Banned
TB is gonna have a field day on this topic im sure considering hes been warning everyone to be responsible consumers for years and it just gets hand waved.

Well yeah thats a separate issue in and of itself.

The pre-order/hype train culture, sketchy season pass marketing, and the continual acceptance of false advertising through things like bullshots and misrepresentative vertical slices are a staple of most major releases.

Throw in the creeping anti-consumer practices like inappropriate journalist-developer relationships, review embargoes, and unhealthy corporate fanboyism/schilling has created a fairly toxic, anti-consumer environment.

Digital refunds too. The kind where no one really loses out because theres no real cost involved with providing the goods in the first place.
it's a strange response from a forum that constantly complains about dlc, retailer exclusive content and slimy marketing from companies. i guess that goes out the window when push comes to shove.

Glowsquid

Were the people going "lololol you played 50 hours you have no right for a refund" doing the same shit when the word about the PS3 Skyrim bug got out

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm also guilty of getting a refund on PSN. I only played the game one time for about 3 hours and was done with it, so I thought it was fair. I may look at repurchasing it again at a later date if and when it has much more content and a lower price point.

Dalek

How far in were you? Did you say it was crashing, or misled? UK or US?
I'm trying to beat this 12% number they threw at me last time :(

US-and I mentioned that I have been a Sony customer since the PS1 days - PSN customer since the start and I've never once asked for a refund. I brought up the crashing and how I felt deceived by what the game described.

LewieP

It's good people are getting refunds for the game crashing and being buggy. As far as I see it it is the same as when players got refunds for arkham city being broken. It should not matter how much you've played it, the only concerns should be if it is faulty and how long you have owned it before making your complaint.
There are some similarities with this, but one important difference is that WB specifically told all retailers to offer refunds on AK, and to stop selling the game. I don't believe Hello or Sony have really commented on refunds publicly, at least not yet.

People were getting refunds prior to that from Steam, but only with the standard refunds policy that Steam offered.

"You don&#8217;t own a game. You buy a licence to play it. I bought physical games in 1982, 1992 and 2002. Can&#8217;t play them!"

Yup, this is what I've been saying all along. People should never just blindly trust anyone in business or office, ever. They are almost always putting on a show for you because they just want your money and you just can't tell who isn't so that is why you should almost ALWAYS side with the consumer. This is from way back in the MP thread,

VlaudTheImpaler said:
It's just baffling how so many people can be on the opposite side of the consumers.

I see it every day though in my community work. Even though I know it's normal for people to be ok with being "pooped" on from on high when it comes to money it's still sad for me to see it whenever it happens.

I was talking to a city council member the other day and he was telling me how he quit as soon as he figured out that the system was corrupt because it's set up totally in favor of the rich vs the poor and they get away with it because people are just so conditioned to lay back and take it because they legitimately can't imagine being able to change things and make them better. There just isn't a way provided to them to do so.

I mean, they tried so hard to get people to come to the city council meetings but no one would ever show. At one point they even raised local taxes by an absurd amount and no one even called in. The only thing that worked was coincidentally the day he got up and quit out of disgust. They made it a city ordinance that if you walked your dog it had to have a leash... The entire courthouse was packed all the way outside down the sidewalk and to the corner of the block with people complaining...

It's very sad that people can't see how it would be a good thing for not only the industry but also Hello Games if they where to set a precedent for being open and honest with their consumers. The sad part is that yeah, even if they did come out now people would still be upset and rightfully so because Hello Games just sat back and racked in the dough in a lot of peoples eyes when they could have cleared up the issue for the most part with a simple statement. The gaming media are giving the gamers a chance here to make a positive impact with our voices but our voices need to be loud in order to be heard. The media had given HG a chance to get out of jail free so to speak by reaching out to them about the issue in the hopes that they would give a statement that would clear this all up for the consumers before launch.

This is something that in my world at least, is very rare. It saddens me that people would come in and try to stamp out the efforts of those who are trying to lobby for change.

HG may be an indie team yes, they may be small, but what they aren't is dumb. I can't believe they didn't see this coming. No matter how charming people in business and office ever seem there is absolutely no reason to just give them your trust, especially after they are profiting off of you. I see it all the time, people taking advantage of others whom you wouldn't believe where capable of doing so.

If you don't think this is a big deal, great. Just please, respect that we do and let us keep trying.

Thing is the environment in the industry would be better all around if it was more consumer centric in every aspect instead of worried about mostly just profit by mostly catering to the mainstream and being opaque towards the core. I think CDProjekt has a good model so far in this regard.

Top Bottom