• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

shiba5

I traded it in a couple of days ago when the buy price was still 36 pounds. I told the guy at the counter 'I bet you've been getting this one a lot' and he told me 'too many, it's gonna drop like a rock' lol. I got in just in time.

I got $30 for it from GameStop last week. Guess I beat the rush.
For those who say "just wait for a patch" let's take a look at Just Cause 3 on PS4. Every patch has made that game run worse to the point that it's a slide show any time there's a gun battle. The dev has seemingly completely abandoned the PS4 version and thrown their hands up. So I have a game that I finished (before it got completely borked) that is now practically unplayable.
I have no confidence that Hello Games will fix their game any better than Avalanche fixed JC3.

Good, if a game is broken it shouldn't be sold to customers. Doesn't matter if it breaks after 1 minute of gameplay or after 100 hours of gameplay.

What a disaster.

One of the best things to come of this is a revamped refund system by Sony, and a warning call to developers.

The good news for developers is that so long as you keep it honest and communicate with your consumers as you should be in the first place, you are golden! If you aren't, too bad.

Stuart444

And what of the other reason listed? Do you feel like people shouldn't be allowed a refund even if they suffer crashes like the picture in the op showed (crash every 10 - 30 minutes) making the game unplayable?

An open world sandbox game may not have this stuff noticeable first. Like said, spending most time in the starter systems and nothing happened but the deeper you go into the game, the more the crashes happened to the point that the only way to play the game again would be to delete your save and start a new game.

Do you believe people shouldn't be allowed a refund if this happens to them?

Patches may be a thing but people are entitled to a product that works without waiting weeks in hopes of a patch coming because then you are stuck with a product that isn't working. If a product becomes unplayable through no fault of your own then you would be entitled to a refund.

BouncyFrag

It wasn't, it was entirely scripted and all of it is still in the files for everyone to see.
Thanks. I didn't know that. This game...
Bunk_Head_Shaking.gif

One of the best things to come of this is a revamped refund system by Sony, and a warning call to developers.

The good news for developers is that so long as you keep it honest and communicate with your consumers as you should be in the first place, you are golden! If you aren't, too bad.
Whats the revamped refund system? I couldnt get one. I'd like to get one.

Heavily scripted e3 demos aren't that unusual. The thing that makes it worse here is that he went out of his way to say that it wasn't.

The steam page actually has the E3 demo, and while it's a small thing, there are physics not present in the game used in the video (animals interacting with foliage, as seen by the rhino thing moving the trees while he chases an animal).

There's a few more things in the trailer, I think.

Sorry, I meant in general. Like this would hopefully get Sony to revamp it.

I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

edit: Since nobody wants to read threads anymore:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

You spent 50 hours of your life with something and wanted a refund on it? You mention crashes, ok, but you put up with it for 50 hours

My brain can't comprehend this

DR2K

Banned
You spent 50 hours of your life with something and wanted a refund on it?

Replace game with product you see people return in stores after a while that no longer works correctly or has diminishing use. You'll be shocked how quickly your brain snaps and adjusts to the concept.

You spent 50 hours of your life with something and wanted a refund on it? You mention crashes, ok, but you put up with it for 50 hours

You clearly haven't been following. It's not that he "put up with it" for 50 hours. It was that his problems didn't begin to occur until close to the 50 hour mark.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

For some the crashes didn't start until 50+ hours. There seems to be some glitch where people start getting crashes when they've explored a certain amount of content.

Venom Fox

Banned
But you just complained about Sony giving refunds because of the time players have spent playing. Try phoning them or live chat.

The game started crashing after 50 hours. Post 29 on the first page.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

He had the PS4 version, isn't it completely reasonable to think he was never going to be able to get a refund and continued playing in order to at least feel like he didn't waste his money? Or that the game didn't start experiencing technical issues right away?

Lagamorph

No mention of gog.com
Maybe they'll see the trend and realise it's futile to go against it.

?

Nothing wrong with refunds. Hell, most retail stores offer 90 days before you can return something. And until now, returning electronics because of dissatisfaction or because they don't work was a pain.

There shouldn't be an arbitrary limit on how much you can play a game before you return it, simple as that.

Castef

Banned
Some developers are completely out of touch. Some. Thankfully, they are starting to expose themselves.

And now he blocked me.

Then tweeted:
"So someone was trying to argue that spending 50 hours in a game, then refunding it, isn’t equivalent to theft"

Quality Twitter user. :)

But you just complained about Sony giving refunds because of the time players have spent playing. Try phoning them or live chat.
I complained about it being bullshit because I cant get one. Bullshit as in not true. Sony is not just handing out refunds to everyone.

Ive tried chat twice now.

Venom Fox

Banned
I complained about it being bullshit because I cant get one. Bullshit as in not true. Sony is not just handing out refunds to everyone.

Yeah figured that. Maybe link them to reddit and GAF. People have posted transcripts so they can't deny they aren't giving refunds. Also just keep trying!

So the 50 hours prior to the crashing was worth nothing ?
If I use a TV for 50 hours and it breaks, should I be able to get a refund or do I owe the store something for the time I used it?

The product wasn't fit for use, maybe they should be compensating him for the 50 hours he wasted on their broken product.

Depends on what customer service rep you get. Keep trying and you will get one. If myself and 6 of my friends have been able to get one when we were never able to get one before for other games, then there is definitely something to this for Sony.

So the 50 hours prior to the crashing was worth nothing ?

Yes? But obviously he would like to continue playing it, and with hello games not bothering to communicate anything, he decided to try and get a refund. Luckily for him, Sony agreed that this was a reasonable reason to get a refund.

Amazing how hard this is for some people to understand. If you feel like you would put up with such crashes, after 50 hours, that's cool. But fucking lol at calling out other people, who don't.

ash321

Just try live chat till you meet a nice cs guy/gal.
Already got my refund on GOG like 2 days after the game released (GoG' s custommer services don't work on Saturday and Sunday)

Ambient80

If I use a TV for 50 hours and it breaks, should I be able to get a refund or do I owe the store something for the time I used it?

The product wasn't fit for use, maybe they should be compensating him for the 50 hours he wasted on their broken product.

It's amazing how anti-consumer some consumers are.

Given that the game needs developer patches I'm not sure what GoG think they're going to be able to do to resolve it.
The guy on the Playstation live chat told me to initialize my PS4 to help resolve the issue. Lmao, wipe my HDD of all my games and saved files. Just so I can play NMS without it crashing non stop. Highly doubt that would fix my problem. Wtf kind of advice is that?

Lagamorph

The guy on the Playstation live chat told me to initialize my PS4 to help resolve the issue. Lmao, wipe my HDD of all my games and saved files. Just so I can play NMS without it crashing non stop. Highly doubt that would fix my problem. Wtf kind of advice is that?

Some people on GoGs own forums are reporting that they've been given the response "Please wait for the developer to release more patches" when they asked for refunds. As you'd expect, people aren't too happy at GoG seemingly trying to shirk off their own 30 day guarantee. It stinks of just trying to delay the time past the 30 days since the launch of the game.

Venom Fox

Banned
It's that automated advise they give. Move on to the next rep and just say you've done all that, re installed and it's still crashing. That way you've followed official advise and there's nothing more that can be done.

It's bullshit. I reckon they give that advise just so people do it and hopefully give up trying to get a refund because it takes ages to do a full reset.

Castef

Banned
For what is worth - take this with a grain of salt - a PS4 user in Italy has been told by Sony support to "contact Hello Games".

Seems a bit weird to me.

(details here, in italian)

Ultryx

I sent a support ticket and opened an actual help ticket, instead of getting the automated bullshit. What a fucking waste that option was.

Still waiting for a reply on my ticket. I fully expect it to take weeks lol.

LogicStep

Wonder how long it will take to hear back from them? I don't know if I will get it but I mentioned the marketing, what the devs promised, and what's shown on videos and how I played thinking maybe the things will show up if I played a little more. I put 10 hours into the game but I haven't touched it in like a week. Would be great to get it back. I'm never preordering a game on steam again. I'll wait for reviews and impressions.

bj00rn_

Banned

Wow, this is a goldmine.. Here are a few twitter quotes from the ex-Sony guy who secured the NMS PS4 deal:

Shahid Kamal Ahmad said:
If you’re getting a refund after playing a game for 50 hours you’re a thief.

Shahid Kamal Ahmad said:
We’re not talking about a consumer product in the factory sense. We’re talking about a work of art. You can’t just treat it like a widget.

Shahid Kamal Ahmad said:
How long do they need, 5 billion hours?

Top Bottom