• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

VariantX

You spent 50 hours of your life with something and wanted a refund on it? You mention crashes, ok, but you put up with it for 50 hours

My brain can't comprehend this
The crashes weren't happening early on and he was enjoying it, only as he started going further out the game started shitting itself every 20 or so minutes.

If you're lying in your game's PR campaign and make up castles in the sky without ever telling your customers what features you talked about, but actually cut out or never even developed, you're a fraud.

Hello Games brought this on themselves and everyone who's defending them is absolutely fucking crazy at this point.

lol, that's the first thing that came to my mind after reading that tweet.

Yeesh, what a scummy thing for someone of Sahid's stature and position to do. I expect that kind of kneejerk reaction from a lot of others around here but you would think that someone in his position would have thought things through before tearing into a person whom he doesn't even know and apparently for an issue of which he hasn't even done his research on... And come to find out it's to protect his own investment... This entire situation stinks. I wonder if it was him then that is encouraging/advising HG not to talk?

Anyway, I just got up and only read a couple pages from where I left off last night, what did I miss?

Kyoufu

The funny thing is, Shahid says a game is broken if it crashes on boot while calling me a thief.

Well, at the point where I was, I did have crashes upon booting after a crash lol.

If that isn't broken then I don't know what is.

Venom Fox

Banned
Who the heck is this guy ?
Exactly Sony indie relations exec basically. He's always seemed quite nice but today he just lost all respect for everyone.

The funny thing is, Shahid says a game is broken if it crashes on boot while calling me a thief.

Well, at the point where I was, I did have crashes upon booting after a crash lol.

Kyoufu you don't need to defend yourself. Obviously that guy being the ex Sony indie guy has a crush on NMS as he was directly involved with it. He's just sour. It wouldn't surprise me if he deletes his tweets in a couple of days.

Shiggy

For what is worth - take this with a grain of salt - a PS4 user in Italy has been told by Sony support to "contact Hello Games".

Seems a bit weird to me.

(details here, in italian)

That's bullshit. By EU regulation, your person to contact when a product is faulty/defective is the seller. They either have the option to replace it, repair it, or issue a refund.

Man, this is pretty crazy. On one hand, I feel asking for a refund after playing a game for dozens of hours is kind of scummy on the part of the consumer. On the other hand, this entire project feels kind of scummy, so I guess I understand why someone would ask for their money back, regardless of how long they played.

Gator86

The vitriol is getting crazy. As someone who enjoys the game I can see why someone can be turned off or be disappointed in the final release but the venomous personal attacks people are making are beyond the pale. There are countless reasons why these refunds are valid but what I can't get behind is the belief there was/is malicious intent by Hello Games.

The lack of faith and empathy for other human beings is disconcerting.

You're being ridiculous. Murray knew he was lying. Look at some of the shit that was said. He claimed they were recreating their periodic table to allow for a wider range of lighting effects as light was refracted by elements in the atmosphere using their real-time physics engine. That is utter horseshit and clearly didn't exist at any point.

Even if they weren't maliciously lying, who cares? Should HG get a pass on defrauding customers by misrepresenting the game because Murray was too stupid to release a 15 person team couldn't put together a game, based on their promises, that even the biggest AAA devs couldn't get done on a damn near endless budget? A customer's job isn't to feel empathy for a company that released a product completely different from the one advertised. Even if you did have "faith" in them, they've hung you out to dry anyway by going into hiding and ignoring the deceptive marketing entirely. There's nothing to support about Murray or HG. Fuck em.

I remember getting called mean things for calling this a movement.

You spent 50 hours of your life with something and wanted a refund on it? You mention crashes, ok, but you put up with it for 50 hours

You buy a car, you enjoy your time with it, it has some kinks but nothing you can't handle. Then after 20 miles it basically breaks down and explodes.

But hey, you rode 20 miles in it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Wow, Shahid is damn lucky he doesn't work at Sony anymore. Outbursts like this would have gotten his ass tossed out the door by this time tomorrow.
Seriously. People just don't want to understand the context of this situation. Abuse will happen but it seems the majority is genuinely unhappy people.

*Edited because of confusion caused by twitters shitty conversation loading.*

You buy a car, you enjoy your time with it, it has some kinks but nothing you can't handle. Then after 20 miles it basically breaks down and explodes.

But hey, you rode 20 miles in it.
And the worst thing is, you can't even claim on the insurance because you'll be banned from driving forever more...

Stuart444

Wow, Shahid is damn lucky he doesn't work at Sony anymore. Outbursts like this would have gotten his ass tossed out the door by this time tomorrow.

Pretty much, I use to like the guy but man, I've lost a lot of respect for him. Hell that post reads like many gaf posts that laugh at anime avatars and shit.

It's like he's posting on GAF with those tweets but without any accountability for what he says.

Shahid always seemed like a fanboy in a suit to me. Not surprised to see him go this route. Perhaps he should take it up with his former employers that are ok'ing the refunds.

Man, this is pretty crazy. On one hand, I feel asking for a refund after playing a game for dozens of hours is kind of scummy on the part of the consumer. On the other hand, this entire project feels kind of scummy, so I guess I understand why someone would ask for their money back, regardless of how long they played.

This is sort of where I am at. I didn't really have any technical issues, but feel like I got totally bamboozled by this game. I have been burnt before, and I usually just suck it up and tell myself "buyer beware" but this time it has really gotten under my skin.

Unless GoG offers a one-time no questions asked refund like Sony, I am damned.

Well my brain cannot comprehend this post.

Like, what?

It is a digital game, it is supposed to work FOREVER. There is NO expiration date on the description that says "BEST USED WITHIN 50 HOURS AFTER FIRST LAUNCH". At ANY point if the game becomes unplayable due to crash, it is a FAULTY product and warrants a refund.

LewieP

Seriously. And why is that LewieP sucking up to him? Isn't he on here as well? People just don't want to understand the context of this situation. Abuse will happen but it seems the majority is genuinely unhappy people.
I'm not sucking up to him, I very explicitly disagreed with him. I don't think I mentioned abuse...

I get where he is coming from. I think he's wrong, and I've told him as much. But I don't think he's being disingenuous, we just have different perspectives. I think I presented a few arguements that convinced him it's perhaps a little more nuanced than he initially felt.

Obviously he's not at Sony any more, but he's still got a degree of insight into their internal processes that I don't have, my intent with having a dialogue is to communicate some of where each other is coming from.

benzopil

Looks like I won't buy Shahid's new game if he thinks that broken games are ok.

Someone told him about crashes after 50 hours and he answers "Hahahahahaha" lol.

I also like this retweet:

I've played the game on PS4 for over 50 hours now & have only encountered 5 console crashes. Lucky & loving it!

Only 5 crashes!

v1oz

I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

edit: Since nobody wants to read threads anymore:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg
I'm sure you are very proud of your self!

Venom Fox

Banned
I'm not sucking up to him, I very explicitly disagreed with him. I don't think I mentioned abuse...

I get where he is coming from. I think he's wrong, and I've told him as much. But I don't think he's being disingenuous, we just have different perspectives. I think I presented a few arguements that convinced him it's perhaps a little more nuanced than he initially felt.

Obviously he's not at Sony any more, but he's still got a degree of insight into their internal processes that I don't have, my intent with having a dialogue is to communicate some of where each other is coming from.
My bad! I read like 3 tweets and not the full convo!

Edit: The abuse comment in regards to abusing the system wasn't meant for you lol. It was in regards to others on twitter, GAF and Reddit etc.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have split the second part into a separate paragraph.

Edit: I wonder if he'll end up deleting some of his tweets? He comes across as a major fan boy and seems to not want to have a conversation about the game being broken.

It seems like he's condoning it in all honesty. The only person he's listened to is you and a couple of others where the majority are getting blocked (like me) without explaining any reason behind his intentions. I know he's said he doesn't have time but still he should have listened to the people telling him the reasoning behind the mass refunds and actually went from there, instead of jumping on people when there's no need to.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It's a despicable position for someone like that to hold, to call a paying customer a thief. You don't do that. That's one of the easiest to follow, most basic laws of business. You do not call your customers thieves. That's so stupid. So stupid.

Everything about this is great for consumers as a whole.
It sets an interesting precedent for sure. It's the biggest reason I'm keeping a close eye on this.
It's a despicable position for someone like that to hold, to call a paying customer a thief. You don't do that. That's one of the easiest to follow, most basic laws of business. You do not call your customers thieves. That's so stupid. So stupid.
Pretty much. Want to make sure you never get a customer's money again? Accuse them of stealing. If getting a refund on a faulty product makes you a thief then might as well fucking pirate it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What studio is Shahid with? I'll never purchase something from that studio.

Jonm1010

Banned

He has to misrepresent or ignore proper context, otherwise he would have to acknowledge the legitimacy of your grievance. Or at a minimum defend withholding recourse when a product is functionally broken.

For him its just easier to try and re-frame the situation as you playing the game 50 hours and just conning Sony to get your money back.

Hektor

Sure, you know all this because someone pieced together years if interviews I bet. Glad to see the witch hunt continue and go as far as taking money back for a game you have played. We should all do this. Just finish SP games and ask for money back. If it's broke that's one thing, if you don't like it after ten hours tough shit. When you buy a game digitally you make a commitment. Buy it physical next time.

What nonsense is this? It's not okay to refund a digital purchase, but physical ones are okay? Care to elaborate this abundance of logic?

Go cry urself a river.

Another indie dev on Twitter:
"lol if you can spend 50 hours in a game, it’s not broken"

And they are developers.

This scares me a bit.

I'm curios as to who this is. Might explain a thing or two if they're known for buggy/broken releases. :)

Kyoufu

I've spent thousands on my PSN account's digital library. I even bought a physical copy of No Man's Sky for a friend.

Don't tell me I'm a thief.

Take your L; the game crashes more as you advance in it. Someone can put 40 hours into a game then start experiencing crashes every 7 minutes. I would return my game then after getting too frustrated.

The game gets more unstable as you have a larger inventory, ship, and gun.

nevercomplain2zbzm.gif

Top Bottom