• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

fritzo

so I got my refund from SONY surprisingly. I never thought I could ever get a refund from them at all, until I read this post and reddit. I played NMS since release, and probably put in 30+ hours. It did crash on my many times, but I guess that was being patched. Should I feel bad about getting a refund? Is it my fault for expecting so much more from this game; is it my fault for not knowing exactly what this game was to begin with? Sony still has my money, went right back to PSN and got Deus Ex (planned on getting it anyway). NMS is a cool game at the end of the day.

so I got my refund from SONY surprisingly. I never thought I could ever get a refund from them at all, until I read this post and reddit. I played NMS since release, and probably put in 30+ hours. It did crash on my many times, but I guess that was being patched. Should I feel bad about getting a refund? Is it my fault for expecting so much more from this game; is it my fault for not knowing exactly what this game was to begin with? Sony still has my money, went right back to PSN and got Deus Ex (planned on getting it anyway). NMS is a cool game at the end of the day.

No, you shouldn't.

No, you shouldn't feel bad at all for the refund.

Try your best next time to wait for reviews.

Based on what you describe in this post, yeah, you should.

If you play the game for 30h, and still think it's a cool game, you're just using a system to your advantage because you can, not because you should. So yeah, you should feel bad. Not for the developers, because they have still sold tons of copies of the game, but for yourself, for acting like you dou.

If you play the game for 30h, and still think it's a cool game, you're just using a system to your advantage because you can, not because you should. So yeah, you should feel bad. Not for the developers, because they have still sold tons of copies of the game, but for yourself, for acting like you dou.

In most other cases I might agree with you. But in this case, with the way the game was sold on lies and misinformation, I don't feel they deserve the money and should openly offer refunds to those who want it. Which is kind of what is happening so I am not the only one that thinks that way.

fritzo

yeah. i guess. because I'm not one of those people who bitch and moan about little things, I don't have the energy for that. I pretty much just "gamed" the system, got my money back and put it right back into said system. If I had bought the physical copy, and traded it in at gamestop or wherever, I'd probably get what $40 I'm guessing? I guess this is Sony's way of giving me a digital gift card.

well this was me today, officially

MtFvmR0.gif
Lmfao

Such a disappointing day, never realized shahid was such a jackass.

Of course assholes take this opportunity to send him racist ass shit.

Fuck this shit man.

CaLe

I "played" 40 hours and I still want a refund. 10 of those hours were spent sleeping at my desk, the rest has been spent dealing with crashes and trying to make the game fun with mods.

I got denied a refund. Kind of sour that others could get one.

fritzo

I "played" 40 hours and I still want a refund. 10 of those hours were spent sleeping at my desk, the rest has been spent dealing with crashes and trying to make the game fun with mods.

I got denied a refund. Kind of sour that others could get one.

from SONY? if so, that sux. try again. I got lucky on my first try, after a long wait for the chat to start.

I'm so upset at all you people STEALING from hello games. You got the game, does it matter if it keeps crashing?! I am sure some of it worked for you. This is art. If you all keep stealing like this, how will we ever get Joe Danger 3?

Hey Sony gave me my refund. He made it seem it'd be store credit vs a full refund, regardless that's fine with me.

I've learned my lesson with this game from a completely unknown party with the marketing being extremely fucking secretive and having little to no communication.

Hello Games I don't exactly wish you good tidings but I don't want you guys to lose your means of income either. If you have enough to keep yourselves fed then all to you. But I won't be buying a game from yours ever again until reviews and like reading consumer impressions

Hey Sony gave me my refund. He made it seem it'd be store credit vs a full refund, regardless that's fine with me.

I've learned my lesson with this game from a completely unknown party with the marketing being extremely fucking secretive and having little to no communication.

Hello Games I don't exactly wish you good tidings but I don't want you guys to lose your means of income either. If you have enough to keep yourselves fed then all to you. But I won't be buying a game from yours ever again until reviews and like reading consumer impressions

Store credit is better than no credit.

fritzo

man, how did this happen? who's fault is all of this HYPE before release really? How did Hello Games get time on VGX? When did Sony get involved? Who's idea was to charge $60? Was this game really ready at release date? So many questions. I'd love to see a documentary on this.

There's no warranty on games. You're not entitled to any refund because you feel like it. Live with the choices you make rather than expecting other people to pay for them. It's a good life lesson. Being forced to swallow your $60 loss so you finally learn not to pre-order/overhype a game is a good thing. If the game NEVER worked for you, sure. Get your money back because you bought a broken product. But playing 30 hours with a few crashes or watching a YouTube rant about the game and then saying "yeah, I think I'm done with this, gimme back what I paid you" is about the lowest thing I can think of. Our culture of entitlement is unreal and frankly, some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

tuna_love

Banned
There's no warranty on games. You're not entitled to any refund because you feel like it. Live with the choices you make rather than expecting other people to pay for them. It's a good life lesson. Being forced to swallow your $60 loss so you finally learn not to pre-order/overhype a game is a good thing. If the game NEVER worked for you, sure. Get your money back because you bought a broken product. But playing 30 hours with a few crashes or watching a YouTube rant about the game and then saying "yeah, I think I'm done with this, gimme back what I paid you" is about the lowest thing I can think of. Our culture of entitlement is unreal and frankly, some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
im almost certain if you tried really hard you could think of something even lower

Agreed. You could've waited and seen exactly what the game is in this day and age on twitch or YouTube, but because people have a problem with immediate satisfaction they pre order or buy immediately.

I agree if the game didn't work for you then yeah return it. You can figure that out in less than two hours. But playing 30 hrs and getting a refund, just lol.

Dalek

I got a refund and there's nothing you can do about.

dedXuO.gif

Honestly, I would try again, keep asking for supervisors until you get one that will give you the refund. At least don't let it sit with one try. It's worked for me in the past with other things.

Holy shit.
I just did that Live Chat thing and it worked. I kept posting my date and timestamps for the crashes till the Supervisor said:

Anner A.: Jeffrey, I will not take up more of your time.
Me: You arent taking up time
Anner A.: Let me go ahead and process this refund back to your PSN wallet.

Got the 60 bucks back in my PSN wallet.
Thats all I wanted. And a lesson learned. Amazon Prime All The Time.

fritzo

so why are people on both platforms (STEAM/PSN) getting refunds? What's the criteria to get a refund anyway? Some are lucky, some aren't. I am shocked I got one at all because of the date (20 days after release) and how much time I put into the game (even though I don't think that should matter). If anything both platforms should just NOT give refunds OR give everyone refunds that wanted one. Seems like a crap shoot if you ask me.

Stuart444

Agreed. You could've waited and seen exactly what the game is in this day and age on twitch or YouTube, but because people have a problem with immediate satisfaction they pre order or buy immediately.

I agree if the game didn't work for you then yeah return it. You can figure that out in less than two hours. But playing 30 hrs and getting a refund, just lol.

Actually no you fucking well can't. People have already shown that the crashes to the point of it being unplayable didn't happen until much later in the game after leaving the starter system.

Also for the record, if everyone waited, then there would BE NO footage on twitch or youtube.

It was a classic bait and switch.

Regardless of all the technical issues, the game they delivered was not the game they advertised.

I would not be surprised to find out that they've ran afoul a few UK/EU advertising laws with all this nonsense.

Patchy

Banned
AussieGAF, be sure to quote stuff from ACCC if Steam or Sony aren't being helpful. Mention the recent lawsuit from ACCC against Steam.

Made my refund magically appear after I wasn't going to be allowed one.

benzopil

I wonder how many people from Sony Customer Support will be fired after this. Is it even possible?

I'm not defending Hello Games, people should get their money back.

Patchy

Banned
Blocked by Shahid after pointing out very respectfully that I've only returned 3 games in my life. Arkham Knight, Aliens Colonial Marines and No Man's Sky and that 2/3 of those were due to dev lies. Lol.

Holy shit.
I just did that Live Chat thing and it worked. I kept posting my date and timestamps for the crashes till the Supervisor said:

Anner A.: Jeffrey, I will not take up more of your time.
Me: You arent taking up time
Anner A.: Let me go ahead and process this refund back to your PSN wallet.

Got the 60 bucks back in my PSN wallet.
Thats all I wanted. And a lesson learned. Amazon Prime All The Time.

tumblr_mk8nkqrlRq1r2lonmo1_500.gif

demigod

Wow this is bad. It's on yahoo news now from idigitaltimes.

Let this be a lesson to Sean Murray and Hello Games and anyone else who tries to pull this shit next time. This game just went from a million seller to most likely sub 1mil.

Petrae

Or Sony/Steam can just say "No" when people ask for refunds.

The video game industry sure has its dutiful volunteer defense force, armed with its mighty weapon of "entitlement!". It's no wonder that the industry enjoys screwing its consumer base-- its consumers actually seem to enjoy and condone it.

People learned from their mistakes and how to get their rights. Getting back their money in the process is a win win if you ask me.
LOL

I want EZA to record the "Justice for Brandon Jones" because man he called it right outta the gate.

Also, anyone know where the clip of the rating sticker being pulled off is from? Too good.

which is why I don't understand why he's so heavily defending them now.

Stuart444

Blocked by Shahid after pointing out very respectfully that I've only returned 3 games in my life. Arkham Knight, Aliens Colonial Marines and No Man's Sky and that 2/3 of those were due to dev lies. Lol.

Shouldn't have wasted your time with him. He doesn't want discussion, he wants an echo chamber.

Honestly, I would try again, keep asking for supervisors until you get one that will give you the refund. At least don't let it sit with one try. It's worked for me in the past with other things.

This is good advice for ANY situation for any problem in life. And you can ask for THEIR supervisor if not happy.

The higher up the chain the more power they have, and the more valuable is their time.

Top Bottom