• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW or EQ2

signet

shoplifter said:
Played eq for around 2 hrs.

GOD DAMN ITS GREAT.

I like it a lot more than what I played of WoW during stress. I've been hacked to bits about 5 times, and I'm loving every second.

How does it run?

I won't be able to play it until 10:00pm tonight, dare I hope it will run good on my PC?

PC Specs:
P4 2.4ghz
1gig DDR ram
6800gt 3d card

The character creation stuff runs great (the one that came with the preorder kit) so I think it will be OK.

firex

everything i've heard about EQ2 is that the first 5 levels or so are really fun and then the game gets boring as fuck. it doesn't look like it's ready for release at all, either, but that's typical of SOE.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
firex said:
everything i've heard about EQ2 is that the first 5 levels or so are really fun and then the game gets boring as fuck. it doesn't look like it's ready for release at all, either, but that's typical of SOE.

Sounds like just about every MMORPG I hear about. :\

Bristow

Banned
I can't speak on the quality of EQ2, but having no PvP is a dealbreaker right off the bat. Fighting NPC's is fun every now and then, but the main appeal of a MMORPG for me is the PvP, of which EQ2 has none.

firex

Lyte Edge said:
Sounds like just about every MMORPG I hear about. :\
wow has been way more fun for me so far. it has a little rut between level 30 and 40 but past that point, man, the story in the world starts getting way better, and especially the high level stuff is super fun... and they've at least made it relatively easy to reach max level compared to most other MMOs i've played. relatively easy as in if you play one guy a couple hours a day for a whole week (or play tons on weekends like i do) you can reach max level in 2-3 months.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
i've played both and while EQ2 had some things I liked, I liked WoW more. I also have more faith in blizzard to improve the game even further after release.

I'm planning to play WoW, however EQ2 is tempting, but i'll probably wait a few months if I get sick of WoW

WoW seems made for the person who wants to play 1 to 2 hours a day. Which is me. I don't want to play hours on end, just login for a bit after work, do a few quests, etc.

shoplifter

signet said:
How does it run?
PC Specs:
P4 2.4ghz
1gig DDR ram
6800gt 3d card

You should be just fine.

I'm running it on

Athlon64 3200+
1GB DDR
9800pro AIW

and it's very nice at 1280x960. I've got it on next to highest quality, and framerate is great. I might turn it up to max tonight just to check it out.

I was gonna make a post just like this but i'll just leech on to yours...I too would like to know WoW or EQ2..

First Me and MMORPGS:(excuse me if I babble I'm trying to write this fast before I go home)

I played EQ way back in the day and hated it, hated the first person view hated the grinding cause then I was more into RPGs with that followed a story like a ride at universal and was in my "good bad I'm the guy withthe gun" Fps phase.

I got in to the SWG beta...had fun. got annioed at the fanboys complaing about how people where dancing in the catina in thier underwear and how that not star wars then the other asshats trying to put reality into a star wars game. My favorite complaint was "I can't kill some one with one punch and I'm a pretty big guy so I don't think anyone can so neither should a brawler" and "A vibro axe isn't that strong" which I replied "well when your a wondering brawler and have an actual vibro axe let me know cause I'd like to see this Vibro Axe" which I got the reply "no you don't get it"...of course. I didn't pick up the retail cause bugs like Palatines correct name was the last thing fixed and it went live with huge bugs like the Shuttle droid eating your tickets. Not to mention the Jedi was an inner company test and was probally gonna be loaded with bugs (suprise it is...from what I hear)

I tired FF11 cause it ws ff and hated it....got bored trying to get exp to do anything only to have a guy 20 level higher then me one shot killsteal for shits and giggles.
Then if I did fight somethign and the fight went bad I'd lose a level...so I quit.

By now I had given up on MMORPGs then my friend pretty much forced me into CoH.
(OH CRAP MY BOSS)
For the 6 months (I think) I was on it was a fun ride, just the more I played, the staler it got...kill 10,15,20,25,30, etc XYZ mobs, & Rescue XYZ hostage, Stop XYZ leader in XYZ buliding. For a superhero game you flet kinda run of the mill. Take Incredibles for example...in the begining Mr INcredible didn't fight the same 5 badguys who spawned indefinatly. Not to mention the offical boards sucked "I hate SWG but put the frills form that game in this one" "WAAAA! no pvp cause superheroes don't fight each other". So I left...and juding form the board so did 85% of the regulars. The grind Sucked, The Builds Sucked, the game sucks.

then back to SWG and I'm enjoing it...its got many bugs and devs don't seem to care. I do like how your not cemented into one build you can be a chracter who can fight ranged and melee, or you can kick peoples ass then sell them stuff. the grind sin't that bad I've been playing for about a month and a half and I'm 2 content badges away from Glowing, 1000 combat points form Novice Bounty Hunter and 3000 scouting exp form creature handler. I do like that not everywhere you go looks the same...it fun but getting boring.

So which is more sutied to me, I haven't been paying much attention to the hype so aside form a few things I don't get about Eq2 and a few small things about WoW I dunno shit.

And yeah ok I lied....I strechted this out to waste 20 minutes so I can go home now.

Good. That was a dumb idea. Im still not keen on constitution loss in DAoC. A friend of mine who started playing didnt even know about it, was running around with 5 con. When he figured it out they wanted like 6 gold. For a level 10 player thats a tidy sum.

signet

my god EQ2 is amazing, makes WoW look like a N64 game.

Here are 3 quick pics from the 1st few mins of the game (screens are shrunk down for bandwidth).

eq201.jpg

Cool water!

eq202.jpg

Holy shit that is nice!

eq203.jpg

Now that is how you beat a wolf.

Malakhov

Banned
EQ2 looks like a bland generic computer generated movie, I was so disapointed. I thought it was the screenshots at first but when I got in game it just confirmed it.

ok...probally a question to early to ask but will there be server event like the one I was just in with SWG (Imperials attacked Coret city, pretty cool I got a badge for just sitting there watching :lol)?

Also is there any thing like Force Sensitive of Prestige Archtypes? I know EQ2 has the frog guys but what about WoW.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
yes, EQ2 looks great. I loved its graphics. Unforunatly I don't play graphics, and from what i've been hearing EQ2 won't work for my plans past level 10, as solo content seems to disapear. I really only have 1 to 2 hours between work and college to play, and if I always have to find a group (a la EQ2) it just would not work.

EQII's models look abso-fucking-lutely horrible. I definitely agree it looks like a bland cg movie. Environments are nice though. WoW's graphics are all around great, and I love the art style. WoW looks infinitely better in motion than it does in screenshots. EQII is a borefest anyway.

Oh, and I'm glad the raid content being found in WoW so far is proving to be challenging. Great content for every type of player. Can't wait for retail.

nubbe

Don’t listen to the haters deceit.

You can very much solo to your hearts contentin EQ2, it may not be the optional solution since you will miss some great loot and content, but you will be able to play in the way your schedule allows you. You don’t even need to be in full groups to have access to the group oriented content, 3 people or so should be enough.

People who decide to play it will experience an epic journey unprecedented in today’s MMO’s. You will grow and decide how your character will be with class choices and traits.
The visuals, voice acting, content and event scripts make the world feel alive.
One scrip I like is how some kids follow you around and ask silly questions

I had a blast last night with my Iksar Crusader.
Much has changed since beta… Both in how things look, where NPCs are placed in cities and how content is laid out in the zones. It is better now and makes progression feel more seamless.

nubbe said:
People who decide to play it will experience an epic journey unprecedented in today’s MMO’s.

You work at SOE, right?

nubbe said:
You will grow and decide how your character will be with class choices and traits.

HAHAHAHA, funniest quote I've read on EQII. All class archetype professions are carbon copies of each other. In the case of casters there are less than a handful of spells separating each profession that is available to their achetype. Only truely unique ones are the Bard and Enchanter. 24 classes my ass.

lexbubble

QUestion...I thought EQ2 was launching on the 9th? How are people giving reivews of it yesterday and saying these are screenshots from the first minutes in game? (or is it timezones thats messing me up)?

totoro'd

If EQ2 plays even one iota similar to EQ1, i'd rather suck the snot from a dog's nose than play it

Can't wait to play WoW though :D

signet

Be-Ah-Hui said:
If EQ2 plays even one iota similar to EQ1, i'd rather suck the snot from a dog's nose than play it

Can't wait to play WoW though :D

every MMORPG "plays even one iota similar to EQ1" enjoy your snot.

totoro'd

signet said:
every MMORPG "plays even one iota similar to EQ1" enjoy your snot.

Let me amend that statement: I'd rather suck the snot from a dog's nose than play another mmorpg by SOE. There, that's better

I dont get why people are surprised the oldest MMORPG is the least evolved. The only MMORPGS that have managed to keep up some kind of real pace of improvment have been Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and SW Galaxies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
:lol Whoops, didn't realize I was showing my FPS in those screens. That's with every setting at max for me, and an average 20-25fps really doesn't seem bad in game. You have to be looking for it to notice it anyway, it's not like there is visible choppiness. And I don't lag at all in WoW (cept for rare situations where 60 players are running around the cities), so that's something too. Also, WoW has no zones or loading screens inbetween areas at all (except when you travel across continents or go into an instanced high level dungeon).

My computer is an Athlon XP 1900, 1.5 GHz with 512 MB of ram, and I have an older GeForce 4 Ti.

SiegfriedFM said:
Cool pictures. A tip though: ALT+Z to turn off the UI for better pictures.

I know. =P I usually take pictures for myself and am too lazy to share, and when I take the pics I don't worry how they come out so much as whether or not they allow me to remember the moment in the game. Just thought I'd share since it's being said the game looks like an N64 game, when I think it's beautiful.

dem said:
20 fps??
Oh nos

What kinda system you running?

I'm on an old XP 1800+, Geforce3 Ti500, 512mb PC2100 system. I average between 20-30fps. I didn't even notice I was getting that bad of fps before I turned on the fps counter 3 months after I joined the beta. It runs fine on this system.

I still want to try and get a new G5 though. Who is going to buy it for me?

onelast question...soo far I'm really leaning towards WoW...gives me enough time to become jedi before it comes out hehehe...or at lease a padawan...anywho..

I may have asked this in my ramble...how are the class systems is it like coh where you pick a blaster and your stuck a blaser for ever or like SWG where you can have more then one "Class" like a Marksman/Brawler/Bounty Hunter/Commando?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
It's like EQ1 or CoH, your class is your class the whole game (until they add "Hero" classes that your character can become).

IMO, in the few MMOs that have you "change" classes throughout the game and try to offer you like 20 class choices (like EQ2), the classes all end up being really similar to eachother. Also, I'm of the mind that I want to play my class right from the start. I don't want to level up some class I don't want to be to get to the character I want to play.

The classes in WoW are all varied and a blast. Check out http://www.worldofwarcraft.com for info. (When the site comes back up, anyway)

EQ2 looks good?

Where?

I guess if you like plastic people.

This looks far better to me.

WoWScrnShot_110804_023626.jpg

WoWScrnShot.jpg

Atmosphere >>>>>> pixel pushing

And those are with a crap ass Geforce4 card.

WOW! WoW looks great!

One thing I found in CoH is that being stuck with a class made for good grouping everyone has a role, one that thats not so great in SWG. Like that event I watched yesterday aside from the 2 Jedi everyone esle was a TKM or something else from the brawler tree and most of the fights looked like flies on a poop. I dunno. I like being ables to take something form one class and take another from a differnt one but not if it makes grouping boring.

Unison

I note that the WoW Collector's Edition comes w/ a One-month subscription... Does the standard version not include this?

I don't see any other reason to get the CE unless this is the case...

Unison said:
I note that the WoW Collector's Edition comes w/ a One-month subscription... Does the standard version not include this?

I don't see any other reason to get the CE unless this is the case...

I'm almost positive both come with a free month. I went with the CE though for the in-game pets. I'm a sucker.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cerebral Palsy said:
I'm almost positive both come with a free month. I went with the CE though for the in-game pets. I'm a sucker.

The EQ2 CE costs more, but is pretty cool. It has the soundtrack + an additional DVD, and the in-game items are a dragon pet for your house, a statue for your house, and paintings. Art book, cloth map.

With the Pre-Order + CE with EQ2 I have J-Boots on my main, and a nicely decked out house already.

Malakhov

Banned
EQ2 doesn't really play like EQ, EQ is better than EQ2. I'd play EQ any day over EQ2 wich tells you how sad it is.

Top Bottom