• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WP: Why did Trump win? More whites — and fewer blacks — actually voted

Gattsu25

Banned
Just to maintain perspective, because I'm starting to think the narrative of this thread is "Clinton lost because of black people"

_92356436_us_elections_2016_exit_polls_race_624-2.png

Black people were the one demographic that overwhelmingly shunned the GOP candidate and backed Clinton. The majority demographic of this country backed Trump, plain and simple. If less of them did, we wouldn't be where we currently are.
Yeah, this is a good reminder.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The blame list.

1. Anyone who is bitching about Trump that can vote, but didn't vote.

2. Trump Voters.

3 thru whatever can be decided else where. Preferably in a Thunder dome of sorts

Testoftide, not psycho, pigeon, thanks for the information in your posts. I've got to read more U.S. history, especially the Civil Rights era.

FyreWulff

We really need to cut the bullshit and pass an amendment that the right to vote is unremovable outside of death from age 18 onwards.

Maybe the other side should have placed an option up that didnt refer to our kids as super predators?

One side - once referred to black kids as super predators and has since apologise multiple times.

The other side - routinely discriminated against black people, demanded innocent black children be executed for a crime they didn't commit and was one of the people who started the birther movement against Obama.

Both sides!!!!

This probably should have been raised within the Clinton campaign. I do remember at one point the campaign knew they would not gain similar numbers as Obama. However, with these tactics, the Clinton campaign should probably had focused on Black Americans in WI and MI.

Bernie Sanders didn't read the primary correctly and that is why he lost the primary. His message did not work in the state primaries where AAs made up a huge portion of the electorate. The same could be said for Hillary in the general to a point. Hillary changed strategies after the primaries which made sense because you couldn't really use the same strategies in the general. I think her message was about the economy like pretty much every candidate would have switched to, but it was more about an inclusive economy.

It could be possible she did not gave a lot of AAs a reason to vote for her, especially younger ones, so the message of an inclusive economy may not had enough depth to have persuaded AAs . The one of the many mistakes was probably the assumption she would have got their vote anyway and sadly correctly assuming that she wouldn't got the same share of voters as Obama which might had to dissuaded the campaign from trying to court them more.

A lot could be taken from these data assuming if it is accurate, but it really depends on what you get out of it. To me personally, I think perhaps Hillary should have retained her strategy of courting AAs and other minorities, but kept it locally and in some statewide speeches. I doubt the Bernie Sanders would have won, but I truly don't know. We don't know if Russian inference would have be any different, what the GOP would have used against him, and what the Sanders campaign strategy would have been.

kirblar

https://www.thenation.com/article/w...w-suppressed-200000-votes-trump-won-by-23000/

Holloway's story was sadly familiar in 2016. According to federal court records, 300,000 registered voters, 9 percent of the electorate, lacked strict forms of voter ID in Wisconsin. A new study by Priorities USA, shared exclusively with The Nation, shows that strict voter-ID laws, in Wisconsin and other states, led to a significant reduction in voter turnout in 2016, with a disproportionate impact on African-American and Democratic-leaning voters. Wisconsin's voter-ID law reduced turnout by 200,000 votes, according to the new analysis. Donald Trump won the state by only 22,748 votes.
 The lost voters skewed more African-American and more Democrat. For example, Wisconsin's 2016 electorate was 6.1% more Republican, and 5.7% less Democrat, than the group of ‘lost voters'. Furthermore, the WI electorate was 3.7% more White and 3.8% less African American than the group of ‘lost voters.' This analysis suggests that the 200,000 lost voters would have both been more racially diverse and have voted more Democratic.

Top Bottom