• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 33 Week |OT| The Ride Never Ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_omh65e48Fc1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

hbkdx12

Because, everyone has a hate boner for Roman. If he would have killed himself in bingo halls in front of 40 people for 5 years, would everyone like him?

If it would have stopped him for being thrusted into main events and title shots for no other reason than he has "the look" to be "the guy" then sure

J-Rzez

Undertaker was a dog who needed to be put down, years ago. It's ridiculous that they continued to bring him back to the point where that pile of shit of a match happened.

I agree. But end it fast at least. Watching him roll around on the ground, barely reach for ropes, wobbly legs, do his sit up to roll over dead? That was some bullshit right there. Just to get beaten like a dog some more.

And that spear vs suplex match? Planted to make it seem like reigns is a technical mastermind with a deep skill set.

Praise the hardys. Praise AJ. Praise Charlotte. The rest is so tired. Save us Shinsuke. Who am I kidding though? Vince will turn him into the Tokyo Brawler, the new Brooklyn Jobber.

Regarding the Roman photo, I didn't watch the show, but you'd think someone who won the main event of Wrestlemania would show some excitement. Or was that supposed to be him super tired? I don't get what I'm supposed to be getting out of that photo.

Think it was A) Tired and B) Acknowledging the moment. He beat Taker, a legend in the industry being laid to rest. Being like mojo-stoked would have taken away from that.

For what it's worth the shot of him on the ramp looked fantastic. Still can't bring myself to do anything but laugh at the dude and his situation.

hbkdx12

picture of reigns backstage after winning

doesn't look to happy

People are going to make up all kinds of crazy narratives around this photo but it's fair to say that was an exhausting match for everyone involved. Clearly exhausting for taker and reigns, exhausting for the commenters trying to sell it (Poor JR) and exhausting for the fans to watch

The man is allowed to look/be tired

Lothars

Roman is hated too much and a lot of people don't give him the benefit of the doubt, ever. They assume every bad move in every match is his fault (it usually isn't), and they'll regularly give their favorite wrestler the benefit of the doubt, but never Reigns.

But that said, Roman is a boring character. His outfit sucks (why is he still wearing Shield gear and the other guys aren't... even though he's the enforcer of that stable?) He has no good moves. He never pulls moves in matches. All of his big moves are strikes or brawling His special move is a strike (superman punch), his second move is a brawl (spear). Further, past guys have been booked to hatred, like John Cena, but Cena has earned a lot more respect over the last few years by adding a lot of moves to his repertoire and also generally always having great matches (save for tonight, a gimmick mixed-gender match). Roman hasn't done this; he's gotten more boring since his singles push.

I really, legitimately, wish WWE made Roman 100% heel tonight, and made him steel the Tombstone to beat Taker. It looked like they wanted to entertain this, and it was botched, but if it was an important spot they would have done it later in the match. I just wish they made him full heel. He's going to get so much heat for retiring Taker at WM, something that no wrestler wants, and so WWE has a real opportunity to turn him fully heel, have him steal the Tombstone, use it on Taker, and then at least he'd have a big match finisher other than a goddam strike.
I agree they should have turned him heel and going with the tombstone finish would have made it better but the reason Reigns deserves all the hate he gets is because he hasn't improved and has gotten worst which you said yourself in the second paragraph. So he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Cena always put the work in and like you said has improved and added moves but even at his worst. Cena deserved to be the top guy.

ReiGun

Because, everyone has a hate boner for Roman. If he would have killed himself in bingo halls in front of 40 people for 5 years, would everyone like him?

No, because the WWE has guys who didn't go the "indie darling" route and people like them. The Miz and John Cena are two of them and they had one of the hottest matches of the night.

People dislike Roman because he was pushed into a spot he wasn't ready for and was abysmally booked thoughout. His character is shit, and his in-ring skills, though much improved from where they were, aren't enough to make up for his poor booking and boring character.

Everything about his push feels inorganic, and it certainly doesn't help that it came about when the fans chose Daniel Bryan as the heir apparent.

Does Roman get more shit than he deserves? Absolutely, as most people's problems with him lie with management. But it's not hard to figure out why he gets the reaction he gets.

UberTag

No one hates wrestling more than wrestling fans.
Correction... nobody hates WWE's brand of popularized sports entertainment more than wrestling fans.

Wrestling fans love wrestling just fine.
That's just not what comprises most of the WWE's product in 2017... and what is presented is terribly booked (thanks to Vince) and terribly shot (thanks to Dunn).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just feel bad for the guy. None of this is his fault

Yes it partially is.

He hasn't improved on the mic or in the ring at all. In fact, he's gotten even more one dimensional and terrible over time. And he debuted as part of a hot stable alongside two more experienced workers in every aspect (ring and promo wise).

There is no reason why he should have remained his lame, stagnant self.

Correction... nobody hates WWE's brand of popularized sports entertainment more than wrestling fans.

Wrestling fans love wrestling just fine.
That's just not what comprises most of the WWE's product in 2017... and what is presented is terribly booked (thanks to Vince) and terribly shot (thanks to Dunn).

Then why do people still watch it? It's like people are trapped in some sort of abusive relationship with the WWE.

So was Punk. So was Bryan. So was Ambrose. So were the darn New Day.

Second place means nothing in WWE. When someone hits first place will actually be something.
Think about it. They've megapushed this guy for three years while depushing everyone else and the best he can do is second place?

Being the top merch seller means shit when your merch is by far the most produced and marketed.

Punk was out selling Cena when he was hot and the company turned around and basically actively sabotaged it because CM Punk wasn't their handpicked "guy". Never mind the other fuckery involved with Punk where they denied him opportunities that came his way that would've made his "brand" bigger. They've had talent that got over organically but basically do the same thing, look at how hot Bryan was and the amount of backlash that was required before they gave in and turned it into an angle to save face. If Vince see you at a certain level he won't let you rise above it despite that brass ring bullshit and what are you going to do? Quit and risk working the indies?

Konan, Court Bauer and Mister Saint Laurent on the Punk merch story and more.
https://mlwradio.libsyn.com/episode-168-who-is-they

When CM Punk was red hot and started to outsell the John Cena merchandise, I know people that work in the company in the merchandise department, I know people that work the arenas and sell the merchandise, and I can tell you exactly what WWE did: as soon as John Cena started getting outsold by CM Punk, they made 3 additional John Cena designs, they refused to make a second CM Punk design and they started under shipping the CM Punk design on purpose. For every CM Punk shirt they would ship to the arena, they would triple John Cena shirts and they would do 3 John Cena designs. So every 10 shirts in the arena, if 9 are Cena, only one is Punk. Punk is going to sell out right away cause they didn't send enough and at the end of the night they're going "Oh John Cena quadrupled Punk's merchandise." Of course he did! Because you've puprosely created a situation where it would be impossible for CM Punk to outsell John Cena.

We've told the story on the show before, years ago at Wrestlemania when WWE was struggling. It's Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in the main event going 60 minutes, people are leaving during the main event, you can check the video tape. People are leaving during the main event of Wrestlemania, and Hall and Nash have both told me that Vince said that night that he would rather have a half full arena cheering for the guy that he says to cheer for than a full arena cheering for whoever they want.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Wrestling shows everyone here liked:

Evolve 80
Supercard of Honor XI
Joey Janela's Spring Break
NXT Takeover
literally half of this WrestleMania itself

But yep, we're just mean ol' smarks that hate wrestling and not just dudes shitting on a godawful main event.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wrestlemania run time. 5 hours 10 minutes 49 seconds

They put up WM replay
Jesus add the 2 hours of Kick Off, those asses off the audience must be sore as fuck

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Smarks don't drive ratings. Apparently Roman Reigns is the highest merch guy not named Cena.

Keep in mind Orton of all people has publicly said on twitter that WWE supplies less shirts for not Cena and likely not Roman

Like Orton had a fan asking for a shirt for their kid at the show and they just straight up didnt carry the,

cordy

Banned
awqxmdmgq9py.jpg

picture of reigns backstage after winning

doesn't look to happy

You know they told him to be that way. From a kayfabe standpoint Reigns is an idiot. He knew what he was doing getting into the feud and he knew what would happen after he pinned Taker. Shit like this is dumb.

I don't know how they expect people to like Reigns at this point after beating Taker. Anytime they think about this match fans will remember "well it was a bad match and Reigns made the man retire" and it's a sore spot. It should have been a heel to get momentum, not Reigns.

RobbieNick

Let's get the contrived Sami criticisms out of the way.

'lol ska music'
'lol can't talk'
'lol bad gear'
'lol indie darling'

tenor.gif

"Ow! MY leg!! Help me, I'm overselling!!"

I love Sammy Zayn, but he's gotta stop it with that shit. He's a legit solid wrestler who can't seem to get over because he and booking always make him look weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom