• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

You think the script for Mania hasn't been finalized for months?

Or at least as far back as they knew the matches.

Please son.

This isn't TNA who will change the finish of the main event of their Wrestlemania the day of the show and ruin months of build.

WWE never finalizes their scripts until the last minute (primarily the finishes). Vince is forever chopping and changing stuff. You've never seen those RAWs that have 2-3 rewrites on Monday afternoon?

WWE and planning don't go together well. I mean just a month ago they were building to a Shield breakup and Triple Threat, a completely different Divas match, and the participants of the Battle Royal have changed multiple times now, which people added then subtracted and an entire Fatal Four way tag match added.

The only matches that have been planned for months and haven't been changed are Lesnar/Undertaker and Cena/Wyatt.

Radec

Goat vs Trips will result in a draw

Main Event will be a Four-Way Elimination Match.

Trips pins Bootista last so he can include him in the burying vid to be used next Wrestlemania.

Kaladin

WWE never finalizes their scripts until the last minute (primarily the finishes). Vince is forever chopping and changing stuff. You've never seen those RAWs that have 2-3 rewrites on Monday afternoon?

WWE and planning don't go together well. I mean just a month ago they were building to a Shield breakup and Triple Threat, a completely different Divas match, and the participants of the Battle Royal have changed multiple times now, which people added then subtracted and an entire Fatal Four way tag match added.

The only matches that have been planned for months and haven't been changed are Lesnar/Undertaker and Cena/Wyatt.

I'm basically saying, once they know the direction they're going, they don't change the finish unless they change the match entirely. Undercard matches might be fair game, because at one point they decided they wanted to continue The Shield, and at another, I believe AJ might have asked for time off after Mania. But once they know where they're going with things, they won't change the big finishes for Mania....I'm fairly certain of that at least for the big show.

Aiii

So not worth it
There are actually not that many live events scheduled for April. There's a 3-day tour in Saudi Arabia and a handful of events in the status, but not that many. They're taking some time off before doing the Europe tour this year in May. Normally that started in April. Now it doesn't start until after Extreme Rules. No real reason to ask for time off. Brie is getting married to Bryan next week I believe though, so if there are Divas needed for house shows, I'd imagine they'd have to have AJ around since she definitely won't be invited to that. :D

I am honestly amazed that CM punk walked away. Wouldn't he have easily made millions of dollars working up to Wrestlemania XXX? Dude has integrity.

Ithil

I'm basically saying, once they know the direction they're going, they don't change the finish unless they change the match entirely. Undercard matches might be fair game, because at one point they decided they wanted to continue The Shield, and at another, I believe AJ might have asked for time off after Mania. But once they know where they're going with things, they won't change the big finishes for Mania....I'm fairly certain of that at least for the big show.

Well the scripts are about more than just the finishes, they're the whole show, that's what isn't finalized until late. They don't tend to even time out the event til the day of, since the scripts are changing. The match winners of the big matches are certainly mostly known well in advance (like Cena, HHH and Undertaker winning the main events last year). What does change and is kept secret is the actual finishes, the endings of the matches. Those are always getting changed. That's why the odds often shift suddenly on the last day, the final finishes were just found out by people in the company who want to make some extra money on the side with bookkeepers (which is most certainly illegal).

For instance, I can imagine that Brock/Taker and HHH/Bryan have had their winners picked since the start, but Bray/Cena and the main event are more prone to Vince going back and forth on who he thinks should win. The only real planning WWE does for WM is deciding what they want the main events to be, well in advance. Usually they'd have winner in mind then, too.
That's how WWE can know five months ago that Brock/Undertaker was a match, but it only has like four weeks of a very weak build. Or how they knew since WM 28 that WM 29's main event was Rock/Cena 2, but that match had a short, absolutely shit build. Planning long term is just not their strong suit because of Vince's micromanagement and the high writer turnover rate.

Of course, Punk leaving, and the fans revolting after the Rumble ended up forcing their plans to change anyway. But they've rolled with it decently enough.

I am honestly amazed that CM punk walked away. Wouldn't he have easily made millions of dollars working up to Wrestlemania XXX? Dude has integrity.

He has millions already, and he seems to live inexpensively, so he doesn't care about any more money.

It's a 7 figure paycheck for Wrestlemania if you're main eventing. But this is a guy that owns a multimillion dollar condo outright, buys cheap cars outright and drives them into the ground and apparently is good with money. Right now he pays for food bills, a gym membership, whatever fun stuff he's doing... and that's it. And he's probably got 8 figures several times over in a bank account.

I don't imagine money is what's at issue. It's about whether the experience of doing the work is worth the toll on his body. And really, what's left that he could realistically accomplish?

antonz

Yeah I have to imagine Punk is in a good place. He achieved pretty much everything but the one thing the company wasn't willing to give him so he did what he did. He can use his image and all that and find means of making money im sure with no problem.

Im surprised he is settling down on the romance side but I guess now that he is more or less retired married life has its appeal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so in the small chance tripleh does beat d-bry, would that be the biggest troll move ever done by WWE?

The Dbry results are obvious, but Sunday could be the end of Bray. Cena looking good on the Raw before WM gives me 1% hope.

Aiii

So not worth it
Im surprised he is settling down on the romance side but I guess now that he is more or less retired married life has its appeal.

People like to pretend CM Punk is this big player, but honestly in the 15 years he's been in the business he's been romantically linked to like seven women, including AJ. He doesn't drink or do drugs and doesn't like to go to bars and clubs, so there's probably not all that many casual hook-ups there either.

Seven relationships isn't really that much for a 35 year old, so lets just say his reputation of being a player because he's mostly dated women in the business is a bit of stretch to say the least.

Striker

so in the small chance tripleh does beat d-bry, would that be the biggest troll move ever done by WWE?
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Besides, it was this:

FEGE79Y.jpg

Seriously garbage? He's alot better wrestler than Bryan and Wyatt. Like I said before, he gets shit on and forced to wrestle people like blue dot.

Sheamus is a great face and a fun worker. I can see how he really appeals to kids. That being said, I don't know if they have any plans for him. They seem to still protect him, though. I haven't seen him lose clean in a long while.

strobogo

Banned
I guess you guys don't remember the 80s and 90s when all faces IC and above were protected and never lost clean. That's how you build people up. People bitch when guys don't lose and use "protected" like it is a negative thing, and then they bitch when guys lose because they are being buried. And then they bitch when guys trade wins. Make up your fucking minds already.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guess you guys don't remember the 80s and 90s when all faces IC and above were protected and never lost clean. That's how you build people up. People bitch when guys don't lose and use "protected" like it is a negative thing, and then they bitch when guys lose because they are being buried. And then they bitch when guys trade wins. Make up your fucking minds already.

Bring back the jobber squashes and you've solved the problem.

Striker

They do that now with the likes of Kofi, R-Truth, Santino, Sandow, etc. One of which beat their own champion a month or so ago.

You see that then when they get hasty pushes because of a movie or show they're on (aka Sin Cara and Scooby Doo), it looks goofy as fuck. They have this big roster but most of them are basically jobbers. When they're given no stories or meaningful feuds no one will care about them in the long run. Sandow is a fun, heel character but they've dropped it with him.

strobogo

Banned

They do that now with the likes of Kofi, R-Truth, Santino, Sandow, etc. One of which beat their own champion a month or so ago.

You see that then when they get hasty pushes because of a movie or show they're on (aka Sin Cara and Scooby Doo), it looks goofy as fuck. They have this big roster but most of them are basically jobbers. When they're given no stories or meaningful feuds no one will care about them in the long run. Sandow is a fun, heel character but they've dropped it with him.

We're talking real jobbers. Local guys. So you no longer have half your roster who can never be taken seriously because they only lose. What you have now is a bunch of fucking losers who trade wins back and forth and always lose to top guys. What you need is guys who get wins and look good against jobbers, who then lose to top guys to make them look good without making them look like losers in the process. You know, the way wrestling has been done since the 1950s. You can't turn your hold mid card into jobbers to the stars. That's stupid and a big part of why WWE has had such trouble creating new stars over the past decade. They still run their shit based on the Attitude Era model, which is stupid and unnecessary now.

In 1993, Jim Fucking Duggan was still protected against guys like HBK and Yoko. And the reason is because if you have a popular face lose clean all the time, he becomes less popular and looks like a loser, so it gains no one any favors when they beat him. Sheamus being "protected" is a good thing and more guys needs to be "protected". People not being protected is directly responsible for why the pushes of Dolph Ziggler, Sandow, Swagger, Wade Barrett/Nexus in general, Kofi, Ryback, and so many more pushes over the last decade. It's impossible to take them seriously when they lose constantly. You think Roman Reigns would be so over if he lost all the time? Does anyone think Mr. Perfect and Rick Rude would have been considered threats to the IC and WWF belts if they lost every week? That's not how wrestling works. You can't have Ziggler job for 2 years straight and then expect anyone to buy him as a champion, even though we know it is fake. You can't have Swagger go directly from being a jobber for a year and just doing a comedy program with Santino to being a world champion. That shit doesn't work and it's never worked because that isn't how wrestling works.

Sokantish

Wyatt Family will come out of Mania looking strong, the feud will continue.

The RAW advertising for April 14 in my area says the Usos and John Cena will take on the Wyatt family. Are those usually just changed or does that mean the feud will be continued for sure?

Hex

Banned
So how much would shit explode if Bryan gets his moment, overcoming huge odds and wins crowd going nuts and Punk runs in for the beat down saying that it should have been his moment. Bryan stole his attention.
Could Wwe keep it quiet?
The heat would be massive.

The RAW advertising for April 14 in my area says the Usos and John Cena will take on the Wyatt family. Are those usually just changed or does that mean the feud will be continued for sure?

those are placeholder

the Raw i went to had Cena, bryan, batista vs the wyatts advertised. ended up getting wyatts/shield instead

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

That's the problem, all of these names you named don't need these losses cheapening their character. Ideally wins and losses don't matter but WWE's gone overboard. People need to look strong.

We need them local boys to do the job.

We're talking real jobbers. Local guys. So you no longer have half your roster who can never be taken seriously because they only lose. What you have now is a bunch of fucking losers who trade wins back and forth and always lose to top guys. What you need is guys who get wins and look good against jobbers, who then lose to top guys to make them look good without making them look like losers in the process. You know, the way wrestling has been done since the 1950s. You can't turn your hold mid card into jobbers to the stars. That's stupid and a big part of why WWE has had such trouble creating new stars over the past decade. They still run their shit based on the Attitude Era model, which is stupid and unnecessary now.

In 1993, Jim Fucking Duggan was still protected against guys like HBK and Yoko. And the reason is because if you have a popular face lose clean all the time, he becomes less popular and looks like a loser, so it gains no one any favors when they beat him. Sheamus being "protected" is a good thing and more guys needs to be "protected". People not being protected is directly responsible for why the pushes of Dolph Ziggler, Sandow, Swagger, Wade Barrett/Nexus in general, Kofi, Ryback, and so many more pushes over the last decade. It's impossible to take them seriously when they lose constantly. You think Roman Reigns would be so over if he lost all the time? Does anyone think Mr. Perfect and Rick Rude would have been considered threats to the IC and WWF belts if they lost every week? That's not how wrestling works. You can't have Ziggler job for 2 years straight and then expect anyone to buy him as a champion, even though we know it is fake. You can't have Swagger go directly from being a jobber for a year and just doing a comedy program with Santino to being a world champion. That shit doesn't work and it's never worked because that isn't how wrestling works.

I want to watch a promotion run by Stro

jmdajr

I did see Twitter rage about the size of the ring AJ had.

Shit you can't go overboard on that. It's dumb/waste of money. I think my wife's ring was like 3500 and that hurt me. Not financially but because I just think expensive jewelry is straight up worthless. Sure accessorize but within reason.

There are guys out there that make way less than me spending 15g+ on shit they can't afford. It's stupid. If your gal loves you, give something within reason and she'll be happy.
If she's not...reconsider who you're marrying.

On the other extreme if you make a decent living don't go and give like a fake diamond or something. That's also..pretty damn weak.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
She shouldn't have worn that ring in the ring though. That's foolishness.

strobogo

Banned
I want to watch a promotion run by Stro

Well shit, the basics aren't that fucking hard. Anyone who has watched wrestling for a few years can figure that part out. Protect your talent, don't make them look like shit, and it will be a little more believable when you want them to move up the card.

Shit you can't go overboard on that. It's dumb/waste of money. I think my wife's ring was like 3500 and that hurt me. Not financially but because I just think expensive jewelry is straight up worthless. Sure accessorize but within reason.

There are guys out there that make way less than me spending 15g+ on shit they can't afford. It's stupid. If your gal loves you, give something within reason and she'll be happy.
If she's not...reconsider who you're marrying.

On the other extreme if you make a decent living don't go and give like a fake diamond or something. That's also..pretty damn weak.
Definitely agree. What's the tradition supposed to be, like 3 months wages or something?

BHZ Mayor

Well shit, the basics aren't that fucking hard. Anyone who has watched wrestling for a few years can figure that part out. Protect your talent, don't make them look like shit, and it will be a little more believable when you want them to move up the card.

Yep. There's a reason why we're calling the battle royal full of mid-card guys the "jobber battle royal."

jred2k

The crazy part is, they obviously still know how to do it and that it works. Reigns has been protected and it made him look believable as a monster in the Rumble. Bray has been protected and he now looks like a legitimate threat to Cena. Then you look at guys like Big E, Axel, or Fandango, who debuted around the same times, and they don't look like threats to anybody.

Striker

That's the problem, all of these names you named don't need these losses cheapening their character. Ideally wins and losses don't matter but WWE's gone overboard. People need to look strong.

We need them local boys to do the job.
For some it's whatever, like JTG, Primo, Epico, Axel, Young, Slater, Gabriel, Tatsu, and so forth. Basically guys who they weren't putting singles titles on (minus Axel in this case) and weren't really doing anything on TV. Instead, your former MitB winner not even a year ago is losing in two minutes to a guy who hardly wrestles on TV and only got appearances due to being involved with a studio flick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They all look about ten years older now

bigkrev

Cena's aged crazily since then.

Dude has been on the road for 10 years working the hardest schedule of anyone in the company, with only a few short breaks for injuries (and he always comes back early from those).

I'm shocked he doesn't look older

Sephzilla

HHH looks awkward in that 10 years ago folder. He's so ripped
/ juiced up
that it looks like he can't even properly put his arms down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom