• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RK9039

I'm still shocked over Taker/Brock. On the one hand, I do think it was time for Taker to put over someone for WM. On the other hand, why Brock?

Brock is already established. As much as he's been booked and lost over the past few years, him losing would not have hurt Brock.

So....why not Punk?

Rikishi is better than Punk.

Completely agree to the fact that Brock REALLY has alot to live up to or else he's the world's most ungrateful bastard. Having said that, Having Brock become THE BIGGEST HEEL TO EVER HEEL HEELS, excites me greatly.

BRYAN's OUR CHAMPION STILL NOT LETTING THAT OVERSHADOW IT YES YES YES

I just got back from the Superdome. Not sure how the show came off on TV but I really enjoyed it. Fun from top to bottom. The Undertaker losing only made it more entertaining because some people there were on the verge of tears.

strobogo

Banned
I was just typing out my thoughts, but you've beaten me with pretty much exactly what I was going to write, right down to saying this was the best Wrestlemania since 19. Bryan actually tapping out Batista was the perfect ending to the show.

Lesnar breaking the streak and (presumably) being pushed as the monster of all monster heels makes those losses to Triple H and Cena in the last two years even more bizarre. Brock winning is such a big blemish on this PPV. Plenty of many have had crappy matches like that, but it feels so much worse than that. I don't see any outcome where the consensus isn't "Taker should have just retired last year and been in the HOF this year"

Bryan winning though and that celebration was exactly what I wanted though, so that certainly helps me get over it.

I don't think it's a blemish. Did you see how Undertaker looked tonight? Can you imagine that guy beating Brock under any circumstances? Taker looked old, fragile, and out right bad. His body can't do it anymore. Beating someone like Brock not only makes Brock look bad, but makes wrestling in general look bad. Although I really think he should have hung it up at WM28. The whole story of the match and angle seemed to be the perfect time for him to retire. It's right in the fucking name. END OF AN ERA. 20-0. The end with HBK, HHH, and Taker hugging at the top of the ramp. That seemed like a pretty perfect time to be the goodbye moment. Punk/Taker was good, but that angle would have been AWFUL if Paul Bearer hadn't died. It was a complete after thought. 28 was the perfect ending to his career.

I said it earlier in the thread, but seeing Taker tonight was like watching Hogan and Flair wrestling in TNA, except a ton of people saw it. I really think continuing after 28 tarnished Taker's legacy. And tonight really cemented that.

Sephzilla

Completely agree to the fact that Brock REALLY has alot to live up to or else he's the world's most ungrateful bastard. Having said that, Having Brock become THE BIGGEST HEEL TO EVER HEEL HEELS, excites me greatly

The thing is I don't even know if he's going to get that much heat over it. Heyman will try and will get normal Heyman heat, but beyond that I don't really know if it will get Brock over as a heel at least judging from the dead as fuck reaction that match's end got.

Reave

Yup it demeans the whole streak and it makes it worst. Giving it to Brock lesner is the opposite of sense. He's going to bolt and be the normal moron he is.

Not to play the realism card, but I disagree because lets face it... it would have looked dumb as hell if Taker were to beat a dude in the shape and stature Bork's in.

Taker's my GOAT and all, but even his goatee had age spots and wrinkles. If anyone could have put up a convincing argument for ending his streak, I'd say Bork was the best option based on athleticism and physical shape.

Chucker

Did you see how Undertaker looked tonight? Can you imagine that guy beating Brock under any circumstances? Taker looked old, fragile, and out right bad. His body can't do it anymore.

This. The only way Taker could have looked good(Physical looks, not wrestling ability) tonight would have been if he were fighting another dinosaur like him, up against somebody built like a tank, it looks horrible.

Anth0ny

Completely agree to the fact that Brock REALLY has alot to live up to or else he's the world's most ungrateful bastard. Having said that, Having Brock become THE BIGGEST HEEL TO EVER HEEL HEELS, excites me greatly.

BRYAN's OUR CHAMPION STILL NOT LETTING THAT OVERSHADOW IT YES YES YES

I really don't think he's going to get much heel heat from that. It's downright sadness lol

Batista at the Rumble this year... THAT shit was heel heat.

Sephzilla

For the record, I'm perfectly okay with the streak being broken.

But the ending and the person chosen to break it were both god fucking awful.

Gorillaz

I thought people said the one thing you can do to prove that you are mad at or upset at the product was to turn your back, ignore the match or just silence. That ending was mostly silence.

So how is that what they wanted? I think the Taker thing kind of backfired (crowd reaction wise) even if he obviously wanted it to end like that.

njean777

Personally I think HHH should have beat the streak. I still remember the insane match they had at one wrestlemania. But I haven't watched wrestling in years, and it is weird to see Brock beat him, but to be honest I expected it. Brock is the monster of WWE and it pretty much fits for him to beat Taker. Taker needs to retire and now is the perfect time.

bbd23

There a gif of that RKO + Powerbomb?

tumblr_n3n3meblyc1s588h8o1_500.gif

Sephzilla

Shock value and to make people believe nothing is sacred and anything could happen. They knew that Bryan could get them back, and he did.

I honestly think Bryan barely got them back. Barely. Compared to how red hot the crowd was for the HHH match earlier in the night, the reaction Bryan got when he won the championship was lesser than when he beat HHH. They were dead for Orton, dead for Batista, dead for HHH.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Jericho ‏@IAmJericho 13m
Don’t forget @cmpunk & @EdgeRatedR “@TheReign5136: Taker/Brock was a slow match, but shows how great HBK/HHH are in carrying a Taker match.

I don't think it's a blemish. Did you see how Undertaker looked tonight? Can you imagine that guy beating Brock under any circumstances? Taker looked old, fragile, and out right bad. His body can't do it anymore. Beating someone like Brock not only makes Brock look bad, but makes wrestling in general look bad. Although I really think he should have hung it up at WM28. The whole story of the match and angle seemed to be the perfect time for him to retire. It's right in the fucking name. END OF AN ERA. 20-0. The end with HBK, HHH, and Taker hugging at the top of the ramp. That seemed like a pretty perfect time to be the goodbye moment. Punk/Taker was good, but that angle would have been AWFUL if Paul Bearer hadn't died. It was a complete after thought. 28 was the perfect ending to his career.

I said it earlier in the thread, but seeing Taker tonight was like watching Hogan and Flair wrestling in TNA, except a ton of people saw it. I really think continuing after 28 tarnished Taker's legacy. And tonight really cemented that.
All of this is true, which is why the match shouldn't have happened. I probably should have made it clear that I meant the idea of the match was a blemish.
Shouldn't have started drinking during the pre-show

I thought people said the one thing you can do to prove that you are mad at or upset at the product was to turn your back, ignore the match or just silence. That ending was mostly silence.

So how is that what they wanted? I think the Taker thing kind of backfired (crowd reaction wise) even if he obviously wanted it to end like that.

I can't think of any way the Streak ever ends where I don't spend at least the first 10 seconds after the third count silent trying to comprehend it all. The rare situation where I can agree silence is the correct reaction.

TomShoe

Banned
I am so shocked at the Streak ending like this.

To someone like Shawn Michaels, or CM Punk, or even Cena. But Brock Lesnar? Freaking BROCK LESNAR?

standing-in-the-rain-gif.gif

I'm done with the WWE forever.
See you all next week.

How plausible is the rumor that Taker called an audible during the match?

Completely implausible. Undertaker's been a total pro in the WWE for 20+ years and would never do that. The WWE just kept the ending a secret so it didn't leak out. Also, if this was a 'shoot' ending they wouldn't have a 20-1 graphic up 15 seconds after the match ended.

Pretty hilarious the streak ended with such a poor build up and the overall match was pretty ok at best. My guess is Vince wasn't informed till today or last week or else they maybe would have cared and put time into the feud

I honestly think Bryan barely got them back. Barely. Compared to how red hot the crowd was for the HHH match earlier in the night, the reaction Bryan got when he won the championship was lesser than when he beat HHH. They were dead for Orton, dead for Batista, dead for HHH.

I don't think we were watching the same stream. Crowd exploded when Bryan won and in the minutes following.

Sephzilla

You know what I'm wondering now? If Paul Bearer didn't die, would Punk have ended the streak?

I don't think we were watching the same stream. Crowd exploded when Bryan won and in the minutes following.

I saw entire sections of people barely moving. Again, compared to the HHH match they were significantly less alive.

Ithil

Pretty hilarious the streak ended with such a poor build up and the overall match was pretty ok at best. My guess is Vince wasn't informed till today or last week or else they maybe would have cared and put time into the feud

Well Vince didn't want Taker to be touched at all during the build, the F5 on RAW was a change. I think he wanted it to be as shocking as possible.

Alucard

Banned
The story between Brock and Taker made sense on paper...Taker was supposed to look like he couldn't go with a guy like Brock anymore. But Brock looked equally bad. I dunno...I need to re-watch it, but I'm wondering if the match "quality" was a conscious decision made by Brock and Taker.

Also, their build was really bad. Based on that, I don't think creative or Brock and Taker were smart enough to book the match like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom