• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reave

Chris Jericho ‏@IAmJericho 13m
Don’t forget @cmpunk & @EdgeRatedR “@TheReign5136: Taker/Brock was a slow match, but shows how great HBK/HHH are in carrying a Taker match.

That's lame shit on the part of Jericho.

This match was the way it was, pace-wise, by design. If people didn't find it entertaining, fine; but it's clear that the intent was to begin the sendoff of Taker. It wasn't a fun match, but lets not act like Taker can't perform well.

Sephzilla

It just sucks that Taker/Brock killed the momentum WM30 had. I actually thought the show was pretty good up until then and the crowd was pretty hot for most of the show. Taker didn't look good in that match and neither did Brock really.

The story between Brock and Taker made sense on paper...Taker was supposed to look like he couldn't go with a guy like Brock anymore. But Brock looked equally bad. I dunno...I need to re-watch it, but I'm wondering if the match "quality" was a conscious decision made by Brock and Taker.

Also, their build was really bad. Based on that, I don't think creative or Brock and Taker were smart enough to book the match like that.

I don't know why you'd intentionally want to make a match that makes both people look bad

Lothars

Not to play the realism card, but I disagree because lets face it... it would have looked dumb as hell if Taker were to beat a dude in the shape and stature Bork's in.

Taker's my GOAT and all, but even his goatee had age spots and wrinkles. If anyone could have put up a convincing argument for ending his streak, I'd say Bork was the best option based on athleticism and physical shape.
I disagree I don't think Lesner is the best option if anything have punk win it last year, Giving it to Brock really throws it away and demeans what it actually meant because of who they gave the win to.

Taker is still one of my favorite wrestlers of all time and the steak was the biggest angle in wrestling but this threw it all way for nothing for someone like Brock Lesner which is sad.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, look, I said this twice, but I'm really into this idea.

This starts a Brock streak. He has the looks of someone who you can't defeat. He can take on the faces because he got this heat on him now, he can take on the heels trying to make a name for themselves by ending the new streak. Plus he can do a very good one match each year, which fits the schedule.

And this new streak, born out of an old streak, isn't sacred so people won't be "why am I watching a match that I am sure how it will end?"

If Lesnar was undefeated since his return, it would have been good. Streak vs Streak so to speak

But

!john-cena-brock-lesnar-extreme-rules-2012.jpg

20130407_HHHLesnar6_642.jpg

lol

Defeating Taker now isn't a good enough reset button?

I saw entire sections of people barely moving. Again, compared to the HHH match they were significantly less alive.

I blame that more on the fact that they had been sitting there for six hours and less on the fact that Taker lost. I think Taker's loss took a toll on them, but it was fatigue more than anything IMO.

strobogo

Banned
All of this is true, which is why the match shouldn't have happened. I probably should have made it clear that I meant the idea of the match was a blemish.
Shouldn't have started drinking during the pre-show

It's okay. I started drinking right after the tag title match and it allowed me to really mark out for Bryan winning both times, Cesaro winning, and the streak ending. Most definitely improved my enjoyment level.

chogidogs

Pretty hilarious the streak ended with such a poor build up and the overall match was pretty ok at best. My guess is Vince wasn't informed till today or last week or else they maybe would have cared and put time into the feud

I dunno, thinking back, having Bork have the only shirt about actually breaking the streak should have raised flags. You know, the same way like how shirt pop up like that from the people who actually believe he can do it. At this case, it was the actual WWE instead of some home town crowd.

Is the replay not up on the network?

It is for me.

I dunno, thinking back, having Bork have the only shirt about actually breaking the streak should have raised flags. You know, the same way like how shirt pop up like that from the people who actually believe he can do it. At this case, it was the actual WWE instead of some home town crowd.

Never thought about that, wow. That should have been the indicator.

Thorakai

The thing is I don't even know if he's going to get that much heat over it. Heyman will try and will get normal Heyman heat, but beyond that I don't really know if it will get Brock over as a heel at least judging from the dead as fuck reaction that match's end got.

I think you are confusing "I don't give a fuck what is going on in the ring" silence with the most legit shook silence you will ever see in wrestling. I would say its understandable that you would get the two confused, since I don't think there will ever be an angle or outcome that will leave the crowd in such disbelief. I doubt there was a person alive that could have ended the streak that wouldn't have resulted in that kind of silence. The battles with HHH and HBK just pushed the streak matches into ridiculous territory with how many finishers were being used on Taker that still couldn't get the job done. Nobody expected the streak to ever end, it was too big a responsibility to ever pass down. Whoever broke it would never have properly lived up to a 21 year streak. Its just too much.

Sephzilla

I blame that more on the fact that they had been sitting there for six hours and less on the fact that Taker lost. I think Taker's loss took a toll on them, but it was fatigue more than anything IMO.

It was entirely because of the Taker match IMO. The crowd was into everything else leading up to that match and even going into the Taker/Brock match. Everything died immediately after that.

I thought the Taker/Brock match was EXACTLY what was expected, even the announcers were saying what the pace was going to be before the bell rang

What did people expect between a 50+ year man on the edge of retirement and a big man with technical skills, a high flying match?

Like JR said, good mat work and psychology

Alucard

Banned
Also, a few more words on Cena/Bray:

-the Legacy music video is superb
-their build was all over the place and Cena lacked any type of progression. He went from cracking jokes, to saying he's scared, to freaking out, to suddenly saying he's going to kick Bray's ass, and then in the actual match he fought the urge to turn into a monster...this idea is GREAT, but NOTHING in the build suggested this was a thing with Cena.

Basically, Cena's character during this whole build and payoff was fucking AWFUL. All over the place.

The match was good until the shitty ending.

Sephzilla

I think you are confusing "I don't give a fuck what is going on in the ring" silence with the most legit shook silence you will ever see in wrestling. I would say its understandable that you would get the two confused, since I don't think there will ever be an angle or outcome that will leave the crowd in such disbelief. I doubt there was a person alive that could have ended the streak that wouldn't have resulted in that kind of silence. The battles with HHH and HBK just pushed the streak matches into ridiculous territory with how many finishers were being used on Taker that still couldn't get the job done. Nobody expected the streak to ever end, it was too big a responsibility to ever pass down. Whoever broke it would never have properly lived up to a 21 year streak. Its just too much.

I'm fully aware that it was "We just watched the streak get broken by a part timer who had dogshit buildup to this match" silence.

Allforce

I just want to commend WWE for outstanding fucking service. We turned the Live stream on at 6:40 PM EST and never had a single instance of buffering, pixelation, freezing, or stuttering once in over 4 hours of coverage.

I'll sign up for another 6 months without question. Had too much fun with some ex-wrestling fan friends and one mark.

Sephzilla

I just want to commend WWE for outstanding fucking service. We turned the Live stream on at 6:40 PM EST and never had a single instance of buffering, pixelation, freezing, or stuttering once in over 4 hours of coverage.

I'll sign up for another 6 months without question. Had too much fun with some ex-wrestling fan friends and one mark.

Yeah, on a more positive note. WWE Network came through with a slam dunk tonight. Everybody was expecting the network to bomb.

I thought the Taker/Brock match was EXACTLY what was expected, even the announcers were saying what the pace was going to be before the bell rang

What did people expect between a 50+ year man on the edge of retirement and a big man with technical skills, a high flying match?

We expected the streak to be ended by someone who needed it.

Sblargh

Banned
Shield masks and that power bomb. I think there was some entrance botching going on for some reason. Sucks that the Shield has been having great matches at every PPV until they stuck them with the geriatrics.

Power bomb hurt billy gunn, btw. Not a work afaik. He got some kind of internal bleeding and they are still trying to figure out how serious.

Sephzilla

Oooh, good question. I have no idea.

I remember dirt sheets just after WM talking about Punk being upset because they changed the ending not too long before WM29. Meaning Punk was probably going over and then they changed their mind, probably because fans couldn't handle both Paul dying and The Streak dying so close to each other like that.

And on top of that, Punk could have gotten a lot more from beating The Streak and it would have made a lot more sense to give it to Punk.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more we should have seen that "Eat, Sleep, Break the Streak" shirt as being an indicator that Lesnar would maybe be the guy. Why print a shirt that's meaningless after two weeks?

Sephzilla

Pretty sure he's supposed to go for the WWE championship belts now.

Ugh. Honestly, I don't know what would happen if Brock goes after the WWEWHC now. Common sense would say they aren't going to give the title to a guy who they can only put on limited appearances, but they also just gave him the streak after a terrible buildup.

Reave

And this new streak, born out of an old streak, isn't sacred so people won't be "why am I watching a match that I am sure how it will end?"

Nailed it.

Eventually (if not already), Taker's Wrestlemania matches were going to start feeling like a cheap shtick. It would have become impossible to draw reactions from the crowd from near-falls and 'close, but not quites' when the expected result ends up as the end result anyway. So, were we actually interested in the match, or were we just waiting for Taker to win?

In the end, the streak isn't as important as a fan's ability to buy into a match, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom