• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Ooh, apparently iOS 11 *forces* the GPS option per-app to allow 'only when app is in use' even when the app doesn't explicitly enable it.

Suck my fucking dick, Uber.

Incredibly minor change to the MacBook Pro and 12" MacBook: the option and control keys now have their "shortcut" symbols printed directly on the keys.

Eg0y1ku.png

Wait what US didn't have the signs on before? My MacBook Pro 2015 has them although Option is called Alt here.

Akira

Did someone make a thread on Apple's introduction of ARkit into iOS 11? I feel like it's not being discussed enough. I see huge implications for Apple integrating AR directly into their mobile OS, particularly in gaming, entertainment, design, and information. The Wingnut demo showed huge potential for tabletop games, videogames, and AR entertainment on the iPad and iPhone. They also talked about IKEA developing it into their app (Fight Club IKEA scene anyone?).

Being built directly into iOS, Apple made a good point that when the OS releases it will already have the largest AR platform on the market. I'm sure the developers at WWDC will find exciting ways to utilize the ARkit platform.

br3wnor

ALSO: I know we won't officially know about RAM on the new iPad Pro, but we can almost lock in the fact that the 12.9 will once again have 4 GB (I don't see Apple bumping this to even more)...REALLY hope the 10.5 matches that so both products are a match. I'd rather not buy the larger version just to have more RAM.

So far from the little things here and there people are reporting on, it does seem the 10.5 inch will have 4 GB of RAM. Fingers crossed.

Given that the 'floating' app multitasking of 3 apps requires 4GB ram, I can't imagine Apple leaving the 10.5 out of that party. I'm just glad that my 1st gen 12.9 Pro seems like it will hold up for a few years in terms of power, which is heartening.

so with the new imac out the old gen 27 inch will be much cheaper.. is it still worth buying or should i just buy the new one? also why is the europrice so high lol..

I really hope that by the time watchOS 4 releases, Apple gives us a full-on dedicated 'Now Playing' watch face with full dynamic (aka podcast sensitive) play controls, album art, and volume control via the Digital Crown (if it can be used for scrolling instead of Time Travel on the new Siri face, it makes sense that it could have different functions on other faces too).

It doesn't sound like the new complication is quite good enough, and I want a full replacement for the old Now Playing glance, especially now that I've got AirPods (and therefore less control over my audio without having to take my phone out).

Nice!

Edit: It also apparently fixes Gmail push notifications thru the Mail app.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-appears-to-restore-gmail-push-in-apple-mail/

I won't believe it until I see it working for a solid 6 months straight. I've learned not to trust Gmail and the iOS Mail app to ever function correctly together, especially on a Gmail account that uses 2FA.

I'm using Outlook and I'm perfectly happy with it so far, especially with its superior message previewing on the Apple Watch.

tommyguns

Given that the 'floating' app multitasking of 3 apps requires 4GB ram, I can't imagine Apple leaving the 10.5 out of that party. I'm just glad that my 1st gen 12.9 Pro seems like it will hold up for a few years in terms of power, which is heartening.

Exactly my thought and hope. I will be so damn upset if the 10.5 doesn't have 4 GB and in turn can't do the split screen PLUS a third 'floating' app.

And yes, you should be good with power and all these nice updates should run smoothly for you. If you're fine with the hardware now, you can save a bit by not upgrading this year!

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain folks on twitter have confirmed the 10.5" model being able to do three apps at once.

How are they getting push if Google disabled it for third parties?

I don’t think gmail disabled it for third parties (since doesn’t Outlook have gmail push) but since gmail doesn’t use IMAP standards the receiving mail app had to conform to whatever gmail demanded

I could be totally wrong however

Deku Tree

Which usbc charger works best with iPad Pro? 29W enough or will the 61W charger be even faster?

Why did Apple cheap out and still include a slower USBA charger in the box?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don’t think gmail disabled it for third parties (since doesn’t Outlook have gmail push) but since gmail doesn’t use IMAP standards the receiving mail app had to conform to whatever gmail demanded

I could be totally wrong however
This is mostly correct. Originally Google was using its own implementation of Exhange's Push protocol. MS said "pay up" so Google stopped. After Google worked on migrating that over to their own protocol but only exposed it to their apps. So this is likely Google finally opening it up to others.

Lima

Which usbc charger works best with iPad Pro? 29W enough or will the 61W charger be even faster?

The 29w is the only one that currently fast charges an iPad while using the whole 29w.

The 61w and 87w can't output the necessary voltage and ampere to fast charge it like the 29w. I'm sure there are scientific measures out there but both big charges will power the iPad around the same as the 12w one.

And as to why they include the slower charger in the box? Easy answer, money. The 29w charger plus cable run you $79 or $89 depending on the cable length you get.

They said on stage any USB-C Charger will work the same, so get the cheapest one which is the 29W if you’re not going to also be charging a MBP with it.

Deku Tree

The 29w is the only one that currently fast charges an iPad while using the whole 29w.

The 61w and 87w can't output the necessary voltage and ampere to fast charge it like the 29w. I'm sure there are scientific measures out there but both big charges will power the iPad around the same as the 12w one.

And as to why they include the slower charger in the box? Easy answer, money. The 29w charger plus cable run you $79 or $89 depending on the cable length you get.

You are saying my 61W MBP w TB charger will be slower than the 29W charger on the IPad Pro? Omg

Incredibly minor change to the MacBook Pro and 12" MacBook: the option and control keys now have their "shortcut" symbols printed directly on the keys.

Eg0y1ku.png

Minor but really damn important. I still have to google the icons every time I want to learn a new short cut lol

Lima

You are saying my 61W MBP w TB charger will be slower than the 29W charger on the IPad Pro? Omg

Yes because it can't output the necessary 14.5V / 2A which is needed to achieve faster charging speeds.

It's not within the specification of the charger. Instead it tries to declare 9V @ 3A for 27W and 20V @ 3A, both of which are rejected by an iPad as they are unsupported charging powers. It then drops down to 5V @ 2.4A which is the same as the 12W charger.

I'm surprised the ship date hasn't slipped for the new iPad Pros. Either no one is buying them or Apple just came really prepared

Yes because it can't output the necessary 14.5V / 2A which is needed to achieve faster charging speeds.

It's not within the specification of the charger. Instead it tries to declare 9V @ 3A for 27W and 20V @ 3A, both of which are rejected by an iPad as they are unsupported charging powers. It then drops down to 5V @ 2.4A which is the same as the 12W charger.

I've actually always wondered that. Have you (or someone else) tested the power draw firsthand?

Lima

I've actually always wondered that. Have you (or someone else) tested the power draw firsthand?

Like I said I've never done scientific tests but i have both the 29w and 61w charger. The 61w charger is the same as the included 12w charger.

These guys did though.

https://gtrusted.com/how-the-apple-...w-usb-c-power-adapter-over-usb-power-delivery

https://gtrusted.com/apple-ipad-pro...w-usb-c-power-adapter-over-usb-power-delivery

So yeah they only provide the standard 5V @ 2.4A for 12w to the Pro. The other two power modes are unsupported by the iPad.

And upon digging a little further it seems the 29w adapter is able to fast charge the iPad because it is able to output a now non allowed amount of power (and obviously the iPad accepting it). The 29w adapter came out before the new USB power delivery specifications were released and 14.5V @ 2A is a violation of the specification.

Basically it's because USB-C is a garbage standard that changes every couple months.

btkadams

Wait a second... my iPad Pro charges faster on a 29w charger???? I've been using the 12w ones...

Speaking of charging etc. – what's the best app for seeing how much wattage my iPad is currently being charged with?

I'm just wanting to see if charging via my MBP (TB) or my LG5K is faster.

Lima

Damn I need to get in on this. It wouldn't harm my iPhone 7 plus, would it?

No because the iOS device itself always negotiates the max power draw. In this case the 29w charger simply drops down to 5V @ 2A which is the same as the 12w iPad charger. Obviously still faster than the 5w one they include with the iPhone.

Is the new 10inch iPad theoretically the equal of the current 9inch model beyond the screen size boost? There’s no meaningful improvements in performance beyond the refresh rate?

Lima

Is the new 10inch iPad theoretically the equal of the current 9inch model beyond the screen size boost? There’s no meaningful improvements in performance beyond the refresh rate?

We don't know until the tear down but pretty much everyone assumes that the 10.5 also has a 4GB of RAM now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mr.Shrugglesツ;239426157 said:
Wouldn't a grid make more sense?

jfc
Hmm.. I entirely disagree. I like the honeycomb. Navigating a long lost or worse (a grid????? On a 1" screen??? BLEH!!!) is infinitely worse. I can get to any app in a second or less.

jts

...hate me...
Apple finally transitioned smoothly the iPad into a Mac-like naming scheme btw, after a few backwards and forth attempts.

Wonder when is iPhone next. Maybe iPhone 8 is just iPhone? iPhone Pro?

Probably not. But I mean, we can't possible get to iPhone 14 and such. It's ridic.

Is the Do Not Disturb While Driving feature not working for anyone else?

Hmm.. I entirely disagree. I like the honeycomb. Navigating a long lost or worse (a grid????? On a 1" screen??? BLEH!!!) is infinitely worse. I can get to any app in a second or less.

Yeah, I never got the honeycomb hate.

Lima

Apple finally transitioned smoothly the iPad into a Mac-like naming scheme btw, after a few backwards and forth attempts.

Wonder when is iPhone next. Maybe iPhone 8 is just iPhone? iPhone Pro?

Probably not. But I mean, we can't possible get to iPhone 14 and such. It's ridic.

Aren't the rumors pointing to the iPhone Edition name? I mean it's the only iPhone that matters going forward anyway.

Top Bottom