• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

mrklaw

MrArseFace
price expectation? Reduce the price of the airs and/or basic MBPs to make way in the lineup for the retina? Or just add the retina MBPs at a premium price?

KingKong

geez, what do people do with all that space? I have about 30 gigs of music, around 10 gigs of OS+programs and then however much TV/Movies that I delete after I watch. maybe if I played games on it instead of my PC but even then that's another, what, 40 gigs?

Tobor

Whats the difference between flash storage and just a regular HDD?

256GB.. I could fill that up in a few months tbh.

or am i doing this all wrong.

Yeah, you're doing it wrong. The point of SSD is speed. You trade storage size for a massive speed boost. The drives that Apple use are also much smaller in their actual size, allowing for super thin designs like the MacBook Air.

Xater

Those Macbook Pros with SSD sound expensive, but also oh so sexy....

Might end up going for a new Air though. Those seem good enough for me and I kind of want some that is really portable.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Those Macbook Pros with SSD sound expensive, but also oh so sexy....

Might end up going for a new Air though. Those seem good enough for me and I kind of want some that is really portable.

My guess is that this becomes the mantra for this revision of computers.

Airs are the consumer model.
Pros are the portable pro model.
iMacs are the consumer model.
Pros are the pro model.

Spec bumps in the Airs, but still won't have a GPU worth a damn so for your everyday user they are more than fine...for pros they won't be. This only works if ALL the pros have upgraded GPUs, though...which traditionally hasn't been the case.

We'll see...but talks of price hikes in the MBPs seems to tip that.

I'm not quite ready to upgrade my Air just yet, I have a late 2010 model with 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. But I'd be all over that new top end Air when I do decide to bite.

Also, I see we didn't even have to wait for the keynote to start for someone to start asking about the iPhone announcement. Getting out of the way early this year, eh GAF?

I think we've entered an era where our speed desires have caught up with practical pricing. At a time when we had 512MB of ram and still yearned for more made us go out and buy a new PC the next year.

Last year I bought a Mac Mini, has an i7 and 8GB ram. I'll never need more than that and cannot see myself upgrading for a very long time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, you're doing it wrong. The point of SSD is speed. You trade storage size for a massive speed boost. The drives that Apple use are also much smaller in their actual size, allowing for super thin designs like the MacBook Air.

I'd quite like a dual drive solution, with a smaller SSD for OS and apps, and a larger HDD for media and other content that isn't so speed critical. But I guess with the emphasis on size we won't be getting that option.

Xater

My guess is that this becomes the mantra for this revision of computers.

Airs are the consumer model.
Pros are the portable pro model.
iMacs are the consumer model.
Pros are the pro model.

Spec bumps in the Airs, but still won't have a GPU worth a damn so for your everyday user they are more than fine...for pros they won't be. This only works if ALL the pros have upgraded GPUs, though...which traditionally hasn't been the case.

We'll see...but talks of price hikes in the MBPs seems to tip that.

At least then the Pro name would finally make sense again.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'd quite like a dual drive solution, with a smaller SSD for OS and apps, and a larger HDD for media and other content that isn't so speed critical. But I guess with the emphasis on size we won't be getting that option.

use an external hdd

DarkJC

^^^ Even better, a thunderbolt external.

Dual drive is a great solution for a power user, I use it on my PC and it's great. Unfortunately it adds a new layer of complexity Apple probably doesn't want to ship in their default configs on their consumer level machines, or for that matter machines that just don't have the space for two drives. I would expect the new Mac Pros to offer such a configuration.

Tobor

Yeah, not in the laptops. The iMac and Mac Mini already have dual drives available, so barring a major redesign that will still be an option.

I think we've entered an era where our speed desires have caught up with practical pricing. At a time when we had 512MB of ram and still yearned for more made us go out and buy a new PC the next year.

Last year I bought a Mac Mini, has an i7 and 8GB ram. I'll never need more than that and cannot see myself upgrading for a very long time.

I would agree for the most part, although I don't think the Air (or Windows Ultrabooks) are completely there yet. I could use a bit more power out of my Air when editing video for example. Storage hasn't gotten to be too big of a problem just yet, but I wouldn't mind the 512GB SSD just for an extra cushion.

RubxQub

At least then the Pro name would finally make sense again.

Thats what I mean, yeah. Right now it's all mixed up and maybe they're looking to really differentiate the lines again.

RubxQub

Whats the consensus on the best live blog for this? I am using the verge
I'll have a handful open, but Engadget's was godly last time. The new interface was amazing and the information was speedy.

Verge has struck out the last two Apple conferences...service crashes both times, although they do recover.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly I don't think they're ever going to release an official iPhone file system. It's just been against their philosophy from the start.

Sanjuro

Apple has regularly used Samsung for many of their components. If they went to the Samsung 830 SSD (Which I have put into my mini recently) the performance would be fantastic.

Whats the consensus on the best live blog for this? I am using the verge

Honestly it seems to vary from event to event. Sometimes one site will do great coverage for one and awful for the next. Usually I stick with GDGT, as I like their homegrown live-blog page. It's big and they usually have good photos.

Though I usually keep a second one up too, usually the site that has the best angle for photos of the keynote, that is usually Engadget in my experience.

I'll be trying out The Verge too though.

I have some cash waiting here for an iMac

Any chance of a new iMac accouncement today?

Pretty decent chance. Rumors are saying they might rev every computer they make today, and they might even have new case designs for the iMac.

However if they do rev the iMac fully, and give it a new design, I would wait until a few weeks after people have them before you buy one. Fresh revisions almost always come with problems. Obviously if there is a problem they'll rectify it, but then you'll have to deal with that nonsense of getting it fixed.

Bradach

Pretty decent chance. Rumors are saying they might rev every computer they make today, and they might even have new case designs for the iMac.

However if they do rev the iMac fully, and give it a new design, I would wait until a few weeks after people have them before you buy one. Fresh revisions almost always come with problems. Obviously if there is a problem they'll rectify it, but then you'll have to deal with that nonsense of getting it fixed.

Nice, i love new stuff :)

Thanks for the advice

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I just bought a low end Macbook Air this weekend. How dumb should I feel right now?

Note that I'm not planning to use it for more than typing/internet/iOS game deploying.

I just bought a low end Macbook Air this weekend. How dumb should I feel right now?

Note that I'm not planning to use it for more than typing/internet/iOS game deploying.

dunce-cap-emily-kelley.jpg

You may feel pretty dumb, but at least you'll be able to return it after the announcement.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Even though I think Apple has the best designed laptops, all-in-ones and desktop PC's in the industry, i'm still curious for a redesign.

I find it hard to imagine what Jonathan Ive could possibly do to improve the current designs.

Sanjuro

Pretty dumb. I should feel smart for selling you suckers the remaining stock this previous weekend. :D

Jubern

Return it ASAP. It shouldn't be a problem. While you might not *need* the update, why pay (probably) the same price for a year-old laptop when you can get the new one?

Cheebo

Banned

To put it mildly that was a very unwise decision. For the exact same price if you waited a few days you would have gotten a machine with a better CPU, better graphics card, and more ram. The one you bought is a year out of date.

Top Bottom