• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Guys, just a question. Isn't the 650M a little bit on the low side for gaming at such high resolutions?

I have a 570GTX on my desktop computer and i can play battlefield 3 on ultra and 1080p but it has some dips on some points, i can't imagine to play games like the witcher 2 that are gpu intensive at 2000+ resoultion...

Worth noting that this iteration has DDRM5 instead of DDR3 ram in it, for which there are no benchmarks, yet. It should perform slightly better than existing 650Ms.

RBH

Retina MBP review:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

Right now, the new MacBook Pro is running Lion, but buy yours now, and you'll find a free upgrade to Mountain Lion in your inbox. We already know quite a bit about Mountain Lion, which is, as of this writing, about a month away from launch. But what we didn't know was the high-resolution support needed for these Retina displays. As of now, that support is sadly far from pervasive.

The primary Apple apps -- Safari, Mail, the address book, etc. -- have all been tweaked to make use of all these wonderful pixels. Sadly, little else has. While we got assurances that third-party apps like Adobe Photoshop and AutoCAD are in the process of being refined, right now, seemingly every third-party app on the Mac looks terrible.

Yes, terrible. Unlike a PC, where getting a higher-res display just means tinier buttons to click on, here OS X is actively scaling things up so that they maintain their size. This means that non-optimized apps, which would otherwise be displayed as tiny things, instead are displayed in their normal physical dimensions with blurry, muddy edges. You do have some control over this scaling, with five separate grades to choose from, but none will make these classic apps look truly good. At least, not until their developers release the updates they're no doubt frantically working on at this very moment.

Take Google Chrome, for example. You might forgive the buttons and UI elements for being ugly, but even the text rendered on webpages is blurry and distorted.
It's bad enough that you won't want to use Google's browser until it's updated, which will surely leave some cynics wondering if indeed this isn't a ploy to get folks to spend a little more quality time with Safari. Good thing Safari's about ready for its own update.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

It's funny though, because it isn't like everything somehow is WORSE than it used to be. It's just that you now how on-screen side by side comparisons of Retina vs. Non-Retina...and obviously non-Retina is going to look worse than Retina.

It creates a jarring effect for sure (I still hate non-Retina icons on my iPad/iPhone), but it's not really in Apple's control to handle 3rd party apps like that.

Spending $75 for a RAM upgrade when it comes to the time that I need it is something that I value greatly. Not being able to, especially if the architecture supports more, is a terrible restriction.

indeed.

It's a matter of longevity. When I pay $3,000 for a computer, there is an implicit assumption that some level of longevity is going to be built-in too. To mean that very specifically means the storage and memory. My 2005 Dell laptop came with an 80GB HDD and 1GB of ram. It still gets use today because it has a 300GB HDD and 4GB of ram in it. It would have been useless otherwise. Likewise, my current MBP came with a 640GB HDD and 4GB of RAM, which was cool, but now has an HDD + SSD and 16GB of RAM, which became absolutely necessary over the last 14 months or so. 14 months ago, 2 8GB sticks would have been about $1500, but now it's like $120. The price came down right when the need became clear. Even now I can see real value in upgrading to 32GB of RAM. I don't need it today, but 14 months from now? Who's to say.

And so if I were buying a computer *today*, I'd want it capable of going up to 32GB of RAM. I generally would not want to be restricted with storage space, as we all know things get bigger and bigger over time. Buying a premium-priced computer that will make me feel restricted in a year feels kinda...well...it's just not something I'm used to in the laptop world. When something has been a standard for 20 years, it's difficult to accept it no longer being an option. Especially given how fast things change. I like everything else about the laptop...screen especially...but I don't know if saving that extra couple of millimeters was worth cutting longevity in half. It would be great if they offered the upgraded screen on the regular 15" MBP...but I know they won't. Sad that you have to choose longevity or screen quality.

Sanjuro

Ram yes, ssd no.

Proprietary SSD though. Meaning, you aren't going to be able to pop in any. If the MacBook Air has taught me anything, it's going to be expensive as hell to get what you want in comparison.

MacBook Air / Pro w/ Retina. Custom the machine EXACTLY how you want it to be.

noah111

Still Alive
So why can I not upgrade the SSD size with the $2,199 version retina MBP? It's 256GB with no option for 768 or even 512GB like the $2,799 version. Why? They're both the same size...

Bowser

So why can I not upgrade the SSD size with the $2,199 version retina MBP? It's 256GB with no option for 768 or even 512GB like the $2,799 version. Why? They're both the same size...

Because it's Apple and that's how they do it. Same thing with the MBA - if you want more than 128GB SSD, you gotta take the next step up. Purely a cash grab.

noah111

Still Alive
Why would you want to do this? The price increase for just the SSD alone would reflect the next model's pricing.
Because I am perfectly content with a 2.3GHz quad-core i7 instead of a 2.7GHz but I cannot work with 256GB SSD and need at least 512, and if I want that, I need to spend an extra $600 just for that model.

It's bullshit. Unless the price difference between a 256GB SSD and 512GB SSD really is $600 and i'm unaware.

Because it's Apple and that's how they do it. Same thing with the MBA - if you want more than 128GB SSD, you gotta take the next step up. Purely a cash grab.

Exactly, things like this remind me that Apple isn't any different then other nickel and dime company out there.

Sanjuro

Because I am perfectly content with a 2.3GHz quad-core i7 instead of a 2.7GHz but I cannot work with 256GB SSD and need at least 512, and if I want that, I need to spend an extra $600 just for that model.

It's bullshit.

True, but again, you would be paying that cost (if not more) for the 512GB SSD in that previous option.

I would suggest your alternative would be getting the standard 15" MacBook Pro models.

Don't forget to factor in what keys are on the keyboard. A Mac doesn't have certain keys that a normal Windows keyboard would have. Things like page up, page down, home, end, and insert. My wife almost got one until she realized she'd be missing essential keys for the stuff that she does in Windows.

You do know:

<space> = page down (also <option> or <function>+<up arrow>)
<Shift>+<space>=page up (also <option> or <function>+<down arrow>)
<Command>+<up arrow>=home
<Command>+<down arrow>=end

right?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll be getting one as an Xmas gift for myself. Since the RAM is non-up-gradable I'll mist likely get the base model with 16GB of RAM just to future proof.

The review mentioned games played well on it, I wonder what it can run.

True, but again, you would be paying that cost (if not more) for the 512GB SSD in that previous option.

I would suggest your alternative would be getting the standard 15" MacBook Pro models.

...which sucks because people have to choose between longevity (memory, storage) and the superior screen.

I want the screen, but longevity too. If the retina display were available on the regular MBP, this would all be a non-issue.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Exactly, things like this remind me that Apple isn't any different then other nickel and dime company out there.

While I won't deny that non-upgradeable hardware certainly gives them a built-in profit system...

...is it really so crazy to think that Apple is engineering systems in a way that doesn't allow for off-the-shelf components being possible to add while maintaining their design and engineering goals?

GPUs haven't been user-replaceable in laptops forever (in rare rare situations this is true)...and no one cared. CPUs are the same. Now it's RAM...and apparently THAT is going too far?

The 8GB base configuration makes this not that major of a deal. That's a nice base config, and has a bit of futureproofing built into it.

/AppleApologist
Apparently

Karud

Damn, it seems everyone on Macrumors.com is getting "Preparing for Shipment" confirmations but me. Ordered when 5-7 day shipping was still available. How about you guys?

Sanjuro

...which sucks because people have to choose between longevity (memory, storage) and the superior screen.

I want the screen, but longevity too. If the retina display were available on the regular MBP, this would all be a non-issue.

You can still get the Hi-Res w/matte!

It may suck, but I don't see why anyone should be surprised. Business as usual here.

Midas

Damn, it seems everyone on Macrumors.com is getting "Preparing for Shipment" confirmations but me. Ordered when 5-7 day shipping was still available. How about you guys?

Not me. But I took 16 GB and an Ethernet adapter.

Anyone seen anything about running OS X at the native screen resolution? Should be possible some how. Lord Error(?) mentioned something but I haven't seen anyone confirming if it'll work or not.

Sanjuro

As much as I lust after this computer, I'm waiting and crossing my fingers that the next version has 512 GB as its base configuration.

Honestly, I wouldn't bet on that happening until maybe a year from now at best. They are currently charging $500 for the upgrade, that would be an unheard of Apple markdown.

Sanjuro

How do you know know you changed it? Just replace the original if you need to take it in for service.

You'd be surprised how many warranties are voided for people not doing this. The time, effort, and cost of parts for the work in these models, I can't stress enough to choose your ideal model from the get-go.

They are wonderful machines. The problem is there are too many buyers to are in "ask questions later" mode when making the purchase. I'm just spreading awareness.

Damn, guess i'm stuck getting the 13 inch pro as my first Apple machine.

That's not a bad thing at all. You aren't going to get laid for your computer's sleekness. Also, if you're a tinkerer, you'll be much happier in the end.

giga

You'd be surprised how many warranties are voided for people not doing this. The time, effort, and cost of parts for the work in these models, I can't stress enough to choose your ideal model from the get-go.

They are wonderful machines. The problem is there are too many buyers to are in "ask questions later" mode when making the purchase. I'm just spreading awareness.
Voided for not doing what? There's no sticker or glue that will reveal to any Apple techs that it was tampered with. If people don't know how to handle internal electronics, they shouldn't be messing inside of it period. But if they do know how, then it's definitely replaceable without voiding your warranty.

Sanjuro

Voided for not doing what? There's no sticker or glue that will reveal to any Apple techs that it was tampered with. If people don't know how to handle internal electronics, they shouldn't be messing inside of it period. But if they do know how, then it's definitely replaceable without voiding your warranty.

Some people simply leave in the updated components. Another example, Apple is notorious for sending back flat-rate repair computers without RAM if it isn't Apple branded.

Someone will eventually make SSD upgrades which will be (relatively) painless to install, Macbook Air style.

As for the RAM, you'd better hope you're handy with a soldering iron.

giga

Some people simply leave in the updated components. Another example, Apple is notorious for sending back flat-rate repair computers without RAM if it isn't Apple branded.
Well RAM isn't the concern here since it's soldered, but you should always replace the original SSD if you're sending it in for service.

Sanjuro

Well RAM isn't the concern here since it's soldered, but you should always replace the original SSD if you're sending it in for service.

That was just an example of the company's mindset. Your point goes without saying, except I'm pointing out to you that would be surprised how many people don't replace the components with the original.

giga

That was just an example of the company's mindset. Your point goes without saying, except I'm pointing out to you that would be surprised how many people don't replace the components with the original.
Perhaps you should use a footnote then because it's misleading otherwise to people who might not know that you can replace the drive and keep your warranty intact if you follow these procedures.

You do know:

<space> = page down (also <option> or <function>+<up arrow>)
<Shift>+<space>=page up (also <option> or <function>+<down arrow>)
<Command>+<up arrow>=home
<Command>+<down arrow>=end

right?

a) How would anyone who has never seen it before figure that out? It's not intuitive
b) Will Windows recognize those hot keys?
c) What are the rest of the keys mapped to such as Insert and Print Screen?

It's funny though, because it isn't like everything somehow is WORSE than it used to be. It's just that you now how on-screen side by side comparisons of Retina vs. Non-Retina...and obviously non-Retina is going to look worse than Retina.

It creates a jarring effect for sure (I still hate non-Retina icons on my iPad/iPhone), but it's not really in Apple's control to handle 3rd party apps like that.

Actually it is worse visually. Have you never seen how lower res stuff is scaled up to a higher res display when the scaler isn't very good? It can look worse than viewing it on a lower resolution screen.

You can still get the Hi-Res w/matte!

It may suck, but I don't see why anyone should be surprised. Business as usual here.

I <3 my high res matte. But I really wanted my future laptops to remain Macs. I love the OS and the build quality. The battery life too. But in going ultrabook with their Pro line and phasing out the 17" variety, they've simply abandoned me.

The reason I bought a MBP over an HP Elitebook/Dell Precision was because I couldn't get 7 hours of battery life out of another 17" laptop with a good screen, cpu and gpu. Yes, the Elitebook and Precisions would have been more powerful with far superior screens, but their build quality wasn't comparable, and those workstation GPUs keep battery life to that 1-3 hour range. While being bulky and heavier. With the MBP everything was good enough, and the battery life tipped the scale. I never looked back.

Now they basically don't even make a MBP for me. the regular 15" is too low-res for me, as I'm used to 1920x1200 (had that res for the last 8 years on my laptops) and the Retina MBP's expansion ability is too restricted.

Sorry I keep talking about it, but it's because I'm really sad and absorbing this new reality. Without expandability, the balance tips back to the Elitebooks. I'd rather deal with 2-4 hours of battery life and an extra 2 pounds but the benefit of a 17" 100% Adobe RGB screen, space for 3 HDDs, 32GB max RAM and workstation-grade graphics for the same price as a retina restricted Retina MBP. ...and I'm really sad about it. Just when I was getting used to the Mac world (2 years into it) I feel there won't be a 3rd year.

edit: oh the SSD isn't soldered on? I was under the impression that it was. if not, that's a really good thing. but the RAM limitation is still a deal-breaker, I think.

Ambitious

a) How would anyone who has never seen it before figure that out? It's not intuitive
b) Will Windows recognize those hot keys?
c) What are the rest of the keys mapped to such as Insert and Print Screen?

a) There are Home/End/PageUp/PageDown labels on the arrow keys of older MBP models like mine. Didn't even know that they removed them with newer models.
b) I'm pretty certain it will
c) I do not know if the screenshot shortcuts were changed with newer models, but for mine they are CMD+Shift+3 for a full screenshot and CMD+Shift+4 to select any area of the screen. If you press the space key while in area selection mode, you can make screenshots of single windows.

Sanjuro

Perhaps you should use a footnote then because it's misleading otherwise to people who might not know that you can replace the drive and keep your warranty intact if you follow these procedures.

I haven't been misleading at all. If you're opening up your Mac, installing third party parts yourself, then I would assume you have a good idea of the risks involved.

More people than not don't want to worry about any of the stress involved and just want the computer with issue fixed.

John_B

Apple repairs are mostly done by authorized companies. And since Apple don't tell those companies to throw away customers privately owned parts, it would be some conspiracy if they all agreed to do that anyways.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Couple question:

1. I want to get the Retina, but the HDD space is not enough at going up to 512gb ssd does warrant the cost me, but the non Retina MBP looks good, and with 750gb to 1tb would be enough. So my question is can I add a SSD to the non Retina MBP and keep my other HDD?

2. Second, is it worth it to upgrade the screen rez to 1,680-by-1,050, instead of the normal?

Also, I want to game a bit on it, so I'm guessing games run fairly well on high setting. Such as SWTOR, and mostly other MMO's.

Top Bottom