• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

giga

I haven't been misleading at all. If you're opening up your Mac, installing third party parts yourself, then I would assume you have a good idea of the risks involved.

More people than not don't want to worry about any of the stress involved and just want the computer with issue fixed.
When you state that replacing the drive voids your warranty, even though it does not if you follow a set of procedures, then it's misleading.

Most people don't know the risks involved, even though they might be technically inclined. If I know some person is technically capable of replacing their internal drive (they probably wouldn't ask otherwise), then I'll tell them that it is possible to upgrade it and keep your warranty if you keep the original for when you need to send it in for service.

Couple question:

1. I want to get the Retina, but the HDD space is not enough at going up to 512gb ssd does warrant the cost me, but the non Retina MBP looks good, and with 750gb to 1tb would be enough. So my question is can I add a SSD to the non Retina MBP and keep my other HDD?
Yes. You can:

a.) straight-up replace the HDD that comes with your MBP with something else. It's easy as cake to back up and restore to a new HDD on Macs. stupid easy.

b.) remove the optical drive and put a second HDD/SSD there

I did "b" on day one. 160GB SSD as my primary drive installed in the optical disc spot, and a 640GB HDD in the original slot. It's fantastic.

2. Second, is it worth it to upgrade the screen rez to 1,680-by-1,050, instead of the normal?
Yes.

Also, I want to game a bit on it, so I'm guessing games run fairly well on high setting. Such as SWTOR, and mostly other MMO's.
Yes.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Yes. You can:

a.) straight-up replace the HDD that comes with your MBP with something else. It's easy as cake to back up and restore to a new HDD on Macs. stupid easy.

b.) remove the optical drive and put a second HDD/SSD there

I did "b" on day one. 160GB SSD as my primary drive installed in the optical disc spot, and a 640GB HDD in the original slot. It's fantastic.

Yes.

Yes.

Thanks, man!

noah111

Still Alive
l7h8A.png

tumblr_m43lu53M7L1r9coft.gif

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Sanjuro

Apple repairs are mostly done by authorized companies. And since Apple don't tell those companies to throw away customers privately owned parts, it would be some conspiracy if they all agreed to do that anyways.

I help run one of those companies. I deal with the computers on a daily basis.

When you state that replacing the drive voids your warranty, even though it does not if you follow a set of procedures, then it's misleading.

Most people don't know the risks involved, even though they might be technically inclined. If I know some person is technically capable of replacing their internal drive (they probably wouldn't ask otherwise), then I'll tell them that it is possible to upgrade it and keep your warranty if you keep the original for when you need to send it in for service.

If you replace the drive, bring it in for service, explain how that doesn't void your warranty? In some cases I will contact the customer to see if they have the original, but that's just simply how it works.

Sanjuro

I <3 my high res matte. But I really wanted my future laptops to remain Macs. I love the OS and the build quality. The battery life too. But in going ultrabook with their Pro line and phasing out the 17" variety, they've simply abandoned me.

The reason I bought a MBP over an HP Elitebook/Dell Precision was because I couldn't get 7 hours of battery life out of another 17" laptop with a good screen, cpu and gpu. Yes, the Elitebook and Precisions would have been more powerful with far superior screens, but their build quality wasn't comparable, and those workstation GPUs keep battery life to that 1-3 hour range. While being bulky and heavier. With the MBP everything was good enough, and the battery life tipped the scale. I never looked back.

Now they basically don't even make a MBP for me. the regular 15" is too low-res for me, as I'm used to 1920x1200 (had that res for the last 8 years on my laptops) and the Retina MBP's expansion ability is too restricted.

Sorry I keep talking about it, but it's because I'm really sad and absorbing this new reality. Without expandability, the balance tips back to the Elitebooks. I'd rather deal with 2-4 hours of battery life and an extra 2 pounds but the benefit of a 17" 100% Adobe RGB screen, space for 3 HDDs, 32GB max RAM and workstation-grade graphics for the same price as a retina restricted Retina MBP. ...and I'm really sad about it. Just when I was getting used to the Mac world (2 years into it) I feel there won't be a 3rd year.

edit: oh the SSD isn't soldered on? I was under the impression that it was. if not, that's a really good thing. but the RAM limitation is still a deal-breaker, I think.

I've been around for too many of the launches. I have come to the conclusion, no matter what new lineup they roll out, there will always be a configuration of sort that I want and simply can't have.

coldfoot

Banned
I've done the same on a windows laptop, but this would actually bother me in a mac because the DVD drive slot would still be visible. In the windows laptop, I stuck the same DVD cover on the hard drive caddy, and except for the fact that you can't press the eject button, it's stealthy.

Does ANYONE sell an aluminum strip or something like that to cover the DVD slot in a macbook pro?

dream

Thank you, Wall Street Journal CIO Report, for exposing the Retina display's dirty little secret: extreme bandwidth usage.

But it may also wreak havoc on CIOs&#8217; networks and connectivity budgets &#8212; better quality displays require more network bandwidth, which allows users to increase data consumption. Consider that experts told CIO Journal earlier this year that the new iPad, which includes a Retina display of 2048-by-1536 resolution with 3.1 million pixels, would slow enterprise networks to a crawl and increase data costs from carriers. Now imagine how a Macbook with 5.1 million pixels &#8212; two million more than the new iPad &#8212; will increase data traffic in office networks.

All those pixels aren't free to download, after all.

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/06/11/cios-beware-new-macbook-pro-will-be-a-bandwidth-hog/

giga

I help run one of those companies. I deal with the computers on a daily basis.

If you replace the drive, bring it in for service, explain how that doesn't void your warranty? In some cases I will contact the customer to see if they have the original, but that's just simply how it works.
That's exactly what you don't do. If you replace the drive and need to bring it in for service, put the original back in and you're good to go. That's what I've been trying to say for people who are asking if it's possible to replace the drive.

Jailbreaking voids your warranty, but if you put the original software back on, then it's no longer void. It's the same process, except for hardware.

Tobor

The way I see it, Mac upgrades in the future will be done the same way we do iPad upgrades. You sell the old one and buy a new one.

At least It's easier than ever to set up a new Mac.

I've done the same on a windows laptop, but this would actually bother me in a mac because the DVD drive slot would still be visible. In the windows laptop, I stuck the same DVD cover on the hard drive caddy, and except for the fact that you can't press the eject button, it's stealthy.

Does ANYONE sell an aluminum strip or something like that to cover the DVD slot in a macbook pro?

bro, i haven't thought about that since the first day. If you don't constantly look at the side of your computer (and why would you?), you don't see it or think about it.

I've probably thought about that little slot for about 5 minutes in 2 years. While I've enjoyed the SSD+HDD every second of that time.

I've been around for too many of the launches. I have come to the conclusion, no matter what new lineup they roll out, there will always be a configuration of sort that I want and simply can't have.

Perhaps so. But damn the whole 17" line is gone. It's one thing to have a slightly less powerful GPU because you can appreciate the trade-off (7 hours of battery life). And the screen was always among the better (but not best) laptop screens. This is a different issue entirely.

I was wondering why I couldn't find a link on their main page. But the Teardown page is visible on Google: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1

really happy to see the SSD can be removed/replaced. only if the memory was similarly modular. even if it were proprietary like this, I would say in the MBP family. soldered-on memory = nope.

Sanjuro

That's exactly what you don't do. If you replace the drive and need to bring it in for service, put the original back in and you're good to go. That's what I've been trying to say for people who are asking if it's possible to replace the drive.

Jailbreaking voids your warranty, but if you put the original software back on, then it's no longer void. It's the same process, except for hardware.

Though to say that I've been misinforming people is strange when your point is just another footnote as well. I agreed with you as soon as you mentioned your point, with the warning that most people might be forgetful before bringing. No worries.

ericexpo

I've probably thought about that little slot for about 5 minutes in 2 years. While I've enjoyed the SSD+HDD every second of that time.

What size Macbook do you have? because when i replaced the disc drive i would always wear down the connector cable in my 13". the HDD kept hitting the ribbon

lupin23rd

For those using Windows 7 on a MacBook Air (boot camp or Parallels), how much RAM do you have and how does it work? Not looking for heavy duty load, need to check my work computer to see what I use now.

Hate that I have to BTO online if I want 8GB of RAM...

Sanjuro

Perhaps so. But damn the whole 17" line is gone. It's one thing to have a slightly less powerful GPU because you can appreciate the trade-off (7 hours of battery life). And the screen was always among the better (but not best) laptop screens. This is a different issue entirely.

From a sales perspective, the 17" models were an eyesore and the least commonly purchased product in their entire line (Other than the Mac Pro).

I'm still surprised they ditched it this quickly with the other Pros still in the lineup though.

For those using Windows 7 on a MacBook Air (boot camp or Parallels), how much RAM do you have and how does it work? Not looking for heavy duty load, need to check my work computer to see what I use now.

Hate that I have to BTO online if I want 8GB of RAM...

You should be thinking of things the other way around at the moment. Windows can run on 1GB of RAM without issue. OSX I wouldn't want to use it with anything less than 4GB at this point.

dream

This article just got a really embarrassing correction.

You mean this?:

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly said that the higher resolution Retina displays of the new iPad and forthcoming Macbook Pro computers would increase consumption of network bandwidth, thus slowing performance of corporate networks. Higher resolution screens do not in and of themselves consume more network bandwidth. Some analysts have suggested that owners of devices with high-resolution screens will likely consume more video and HD video, which would result in higher bandwidth consumption. This article has been substantially recast to reflect this change.

He makes a good point. The first thing I'm going to do on this MacBook Pro is start streaming 2880x1800 video from Netflix and Vimeo.

dalVlatko

Any one know how well Diablo 3 runs on the new air?

I'm thinking about getting the 13" for school but I was wondering if it would be decent for some games.

Tiktaalik

With regard to the iFixit article and how over the last several years Apple has steadily moved toward making it increasingly difficult to open up and fiddle with their macbooks, how much is this necessary in order to make the Macbook's as thin as possible? In my opinion it looks like some of these steps make sense in order to really slim down the machine, but perhaps not all are necessary.

I haven't kept abreast of PC laptops at all and I'm wondering if they are also following Apple in this area? For example the Samsung 9 is a pretty slim laptop. Can you open it up and swap parts easily? I've googled for some reviews to try and find the answer, but I'm not a PC guy so I don't know where to look and I haven't found any good sources.

how much is this necessary in order to make the Macbook's as thin as possible? In my opinion it looks like some of these steps make sense in order to really slim down the machine, but perhaps not all are necessary.

Well, I think it really comes down to this with every part they make or use:

1. Does it save space? (product appeal)
2. Does it save money? (efficiency)
3. Does it prevent unforeseen actions? (security)

#1 is important, obviously; smaller parts means an eventually smaller computer, but it also means that less can go wrong. It means less carting around millions of tons of junk between factories. Trimming down packaging alone probably saved Apple quite a bit in various ways.

#2 is both pragmatic (pay less to make a system) but also about the perils of mass manufacturing. Apple is too big now to sip-source; when they commit to a part, it usually means taking over entire factories. It's not a huge stretch to say that, say, a design that uses one less screw could save days of time before a product is ready to launch, simply because of the sheer overall numbers of parts required for their worldwide sales.

#3 is both paranoia and thinking ahead. Sure, as ifixit says, going with custom screws is maddening. But I doubt they are trying to screw over repair shops. It likely comes down to they had somebody sit down, do the math, and figure out that using non-standard screws prevents X.Y% of repairs which in turn saves Z dollars. When you're a company of that scale, even 1% is probably a fairly serious number to consider.

I haven't kept abreast of PC laptops at all and I'm wondering if they are also following Apple in this area? For example the Samsung 9 is a pretty slim laptop. Can you open it up and swap parts easily? I've googled for some reviews to try and find the answer, but I'm not a PC guy so I don't know where to look and I haven't found any good sources.

I think it's partially upgradeable? Depends which one you mean though, there seems to be a lot of generations for that one floating out there.

Tiktaalik

Well, I think it really comes down to this with every part they make or use:

1. Does it save space? (product appeal)
2. Does it save money? (efficiency)
3. Does it prevent unforeseen actions? (security)

#1 is important, obviously; smaller parts means an eventually smaller computer, but it also means that less can go wrong. It means less carting around millions of tons of junk between factories. Trimming down packaging alone probably saved Apple quite a bit in various ways.

#2 is both pragmatic (pay less to make a system) but also about the perils of mass manufacturing. Apple is too big now to sip-source; when they commit to a part, it usually means taking over entire factories. It's not a huge stretch to say that, say, a design that uses one less screw could save days of time before a product is ready to launch, simply because of the sheer overall numbers of parts required for their worldwide sales.

#3 is both paranoia and thinking ahead. Sure, as ifixit says, going with custom screws is maddening. But I doubt they are trying to screw over repair shops. It likely comes down to they had somebody sit down, do the math, and figure out that using non-standard screws prevents X.Y% of repairs which in turn saves Z dollars. When you're a company of that scale, even 1% is probably a fairly serious number to consider.

Great post here. I agree with you that all three of these concerns are valid and make sense for Apple.

My buddies and I are having an argument about I guess the weighting of these concerns. Whether the dominating concern is that Apple is gluing, soldering and enclosing stuff due to the slim design or whether Apple is doing this stuff in order to simply get people to buy the next year's product instead of even considering upgrading. Personally I lean the former and so that's why I'm curious to know if PC manufacturers, in their attempt to get as slim as Apple, are making the same tradeoffs at the expense of expandability.

My buddies and I are having an argument about I guess the weighting of these concerns. Whether the dominating concern is that Apple is gluing, soldering and enclosing stuff due to the slim design or whether Apple is doing this stuff in order to simply get people to buy the next year's product instead of even considering upgrading. Personally I lean the former and so that's why I'm curious to know if PC manufacturers, in their attempt to get as slim as Apple, are making the same tradeoffs at the expense of expandability.

I really think "next year's product" doesn't even come up in discussion. Glue, as in the case of the MBR batteries, really strikes me as a combined result of wanting to drop weight, ship soon, and keep them in place in an extremely-variable heat environment. (I suspect that the casing they use also has a few tradeoffs; one of the nice things about plastic is it's easy to mould retaining braces; here everything has to be system board braced).

Expandability is really not on Apple's radar. Their product strategy since the return of Jobs was always about providing a compelling product now, not something for later. When expandability happens, it's either because it's suicide not to (USB3) or because it just makes too much sense with those 3 factors I mentioned (i.e.: There's no reason for the Mac Pro desktop to use soldered on memory as that product gains nothing from it.)

I'm sure PC manufacturers consider many of the same issues. But as the media has reported now and then, they have a difficult road. Apple is in a unique position where they have the flexibility to cherry-pick the perfect part for a situation. Maybe they need a camera lens or a wifi chipset with fairly exacting specifications - as long as it's possible, they can find the place that can make it and dominate their supply line.

The "other guys", as big as they may be, are often forced to go with second, third, fourth options, and make compromises because they would need to either blow the part budget or build a whole new factory to get their first choice.

I have to say i hate that they glue the battery to the chassis, because it makes it extremely difficult to replace. The only reason i can think of that they would glue down the battery packs would be for thermal conductivity through the aluminum casing.

Things are going to significantly change with Haswell and Broadwell as Intel moves slowly closer to System on a Chip. Haswell is going to see a PCH shrink to 32nm, which I think should make the Motherboard smaller?, and we're going to see memory get even closer to the CPU with Broadwell and beyond.

My point being, Apple could potentially use the space savings to restore some upgradability (or add more space for battery), or easily implement a new user-upgradable smaller form factor memory standard in the future that would solve the problem. This is of course the optimistic outcome, however.

Phoenix

I agree that Paper was a standout this year, but Limbo, Deus Ex, and Jetpack Joyride also deserved their nods in my opinion. The others I honestly haven't tried, but they sounded like interesting concepts to me. ¯\(°_o)/¯

I've just always felt that Paper was overrated. Its a nice app, but it seems that its utility is limited in many instances for me.

Top Bottom