• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

TwIsTeD

Been using my Retina for a few hours now....Apple stores should have at least 2 in stock as of today.

Impressions

Screen is GOD LIKE...I hear alot of gripes about the lack of 17 inch option but once you lay your eyes on this thing its unlike anything you have ever seen on a computer

Editing in Excel for about an hour and the extra real estate is already paying off and is enjoyable

I really want to install Windows on it for some more intense gaming but for now I'm loading Steam and Civ 5 so i`ll be able to enjoy that later when my work dies down

Timan

Developer
Been using my Retina for a few hours now....Apple stores should have at least 2 in stock as of today.

Impressions

Screen is GOD LIKE...I hear alot of gripes about the lack of 17 inch option but once you lay your eyes on this thing its unlike anything you have ever seen on a computer

Editing in Excel for about an hour and the extra real estate is already paying off and is enjoyable

I really want to install Windows on it for some more intense gaming but for now I'm loading Steam and Civ 5 so i`ll be able to enjoy that later when my work dies down

How noticeable are images and stuff on websites? Seeing crisp text then blocky graphics for buttons, and images in articles.

LCfiner

It just hit me, these new retina MBP's make the whole plug-in feature to the apple displays (thunderbolt or not) almost irrelevant. Who's going to use a little bit bigger screen over a ridiculously sharper one?

Wonder when they'll push out retina displays, like they did with the thunderbolt refresh. And if it'll happen before the iMacs or not.

27" is not a "little" bigger than 15".

It's way, way bigger. And the default retina resolution for working space on the MBPR is still 1440 x 900". you can get more usable space with the scaling options but then you're looking at really tiny icons and text.

The usable space on the 27" apple display is way bigger and still very useful for some people. There's still value to it.

Tobor

It just hit me, these new retina MBP's make the whole plug-in feature to the apple displays (thunderbolt or not) almost irrelevant. Who's going to use a little bit bigger screen over a ridiculously sharper one?

Wonder when they'll push out retina displays, like they did with the thunderbolt refresh. And if it'll happen before the iMacs or not.

The "Great Retina Transition" will take at least a year, maybe even two. As more and more of the line updates, the models that havent been updated will start to look like really bad deals.

TwIsTeD

How noticeable are images and stuff on websites? Seeing crisp text then blocky graphics for buttons, and images in articles.

Its not that bad...GAF looks great but on a lot of banner ads you can see a few pixels...honestly in "scaled for retina mode" (default) its very comparable to browsing the web on a 3rd gen iPad

Its really nice to have this type of screen across all of my main devices now

noah111

Still Alive
27" is not a "little" bigger than 15".

It's way, way bigger. And the default retina resolution for working space on the MBPR is still 1440 x 900". you can get more usable space with the scaling options but then you're looking at really tiny icons and text.

The usable space on the 27" apple display is way bigger and still very useful for some people. There's still value to it.
Sure, but I imagine it'd just be incredibly jarring. I mean, using an iPad 3 for internet browsing then hopping onto my MBP is already a bitch for text reading.

LCfiner

Sure, but I imagine it'd just be incredibly jarring. I mean, using an iPad 3 for internet browsing then hopping onto my MBP is already a bitch for text reading.

Maybe on the existing 15" screens but the 27" screen is already amazing. First, it's already IPS and second, the resolution is already approaching retina density from typical working distances of around 3 feet.

I don't find it jarring even after using my iPad for long periods. (I still want a resolution bump on the desktop displays, of course, but it's not a weak spot like the old iPad screen was)

Now, if we're talking about some cheap 19" display from Walmart then it's silly but that's not the type of screen most high end users will be plugging these machines into.

Jimrpg

hmm im worried about the lack of hard drive space in the retina (especially considering I want to run bootcamp and install steam)

my questions are

is it possible to have photos and videos on an external hardrive and use them in iphoto/iMovie?

is it possible to run steam games on an external hardrive?

dream

Can anybody else afford to produce a screen like that at volume right now?

I don't think so. A friend of mine is a product manager at Toshiba and he tells me they're not even going to try because the panels are just too expensive and any notebook priced at over 1k is too tough of a sell right now.

tigerin

Ha naw they just need to be formatted correctly.

For instance here is the layout I used for selling my Macbook Pro:

craigs.jpg

I used the same format for a Ottoman and sold it for $150 above retail. The key is making your stuff look high quality but still affordable.
That looks neat. Have you Got any offered on it yet?

Man

I'm planning to use a 2010 Air for iOS development (includes Retina iPad). Dual 1.4ghz, 4GB ram. Will I be ok or is it serious upgrade time?

VPhys

I've been seriously considering getting my first Mac during the last 24 hours ( next gen MacBook) but now that I think about it what will be the major benefit of this over an Asus zenbook prime. The prime can run all my existing apps, has essentially the same specs as the MacBook and is around 1/2 a grand less.

Now of course the OS is different and if the premium is worth the price of the OS that's fine I'm not going to argue that ; I wouldn't know as I haven't used OSX. But its still intersting to me that I've been in kind of an apple daze over the past day and a half.

I guess the fact that the retina display is not really utilized to its fullest potential kicked me back into reality.

tigerin

Yeah sorry for not clarifying in the post, I already sold it.
Wow that was pretty fast if you posted and sold it after the MacBook was announced yesterday. Maybe I'll follow your guideline and sell my apple products yearly/bi-yearly to get a new one if it's that easy.

TwIsTeD

I second this question. Need to see it in person before I decide on it.

The store I went to didn't have any on display and the employees asked me to open it so they could see it in person....i`m sure by the end of the week they should have a display

I've been seriously considering getting my first Mac during the last 24 hours ( next gen MacBook) but now that I think about it what will be the major benefit of this over an Asus zenbook prime. The prime can run all my existing apps, has essentially the same specs as the MacBook and is around 1/2 a grand less.

Now of course the OS is different and if the premium is worth the price of the OS that's fine I'm not going to argue that ; I wouldn't know as I haven't used OSX. But its still intersting to me that I've been in kind of an apple daze over the past day and a half.

I guess the fact that the retina display is not really utilized to its fullest potential kicked me back into reality.

Don't forget to factor in what keys are on the keyboard. A Mac doesn't have certain keys that a normal Windows keyboard would have. Things like page up, page down, home, end, and insert. My wife almost got one until she realized she'd be missing essential keys for the stuff that she does in Windows.

VPhys

Don't forget to factor in what keys are on the keyboard. A Mac doesn't have certain keys that a normal Windows keyboard would have. Things like page up, page down, home, end, and insert. My wife almost got one until she realized she'd be missing essential keys for the stuff that she does in Windows.

That's insane I didn't even think about that. I use page up and page down all the time.

Wow that was pretty fast if you posted and sold it after the MacBook was announced yesterday. Maybe I'll follow your guideline and sell my apple products yearly/bi-yearly to get a new one if it's that easy.

Yeah I highly recommend it. I always take excellent care of my apple stuff(covers, cleaning) because you can always get a great price for them. I bought that comp for $1700 3 years ago. $600 for 3 years for a top of the line apple isn't bad. Plus it made the price of the new Macbook a lot easier to swallow.

My Mac extended keyboard has those keys!

Sean

Banned

That's insane I didn't even think about that. I use page up and page down all the time.

There is not physical buttons for those, but it's still possible with function (fn) key.

Page Up = Fn + UpArrow
Page Down = Fn + DownArrow
Home = Fn + LeftArrow
End = Fn + RightArrow

My Mac extended keyboard has those keys!

Your Mac extended keyboard isn't built into a MacBook. Those keys are fine for a desktop cuz you can use any keyboard you want, but not so ideal in a laptop.

There is not physical buttons for those, but it's still possible with function (fn) key.

Page Up = Fn + UpArrow
Page Down = Fn + DownArrow
Home = Fn + LeftArrow
End = Fn + RightArrow

Is there Insert and the other missing keys? Also it's not very user friendly for my wife would probably get more annoyed trying to remember all these hidden keys before she actually got used to it. She'd probably would turn to me and say I thought Macs were supposed to be easier but why do I have to remember all these key combos?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is there Insert and the other missing keys? Also it's not very user friendly for my wife would probably get more annoyed trying to remember all these hidden keys before she actually got used to it. She'd probably would turn to me and say I thought Macs were supposed to be easier but why do I have to remember all these key combos?
I feel like I have gone back in time with this post.

Juice

I'm glad I ordered one of the new MBA's to replace last year's... the new one's are *significantly* faster. Launching app's is ridiculously faster.

RBH

geekbench_mid_2012_macbook_pro.jpg

geekbench_mid_2012_macbook_air.jpg

With the first Mid-2012 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models reaching the public, Primate Labs has collated some data from its Geekbench 2 benchmarking database to assess the raw performance of these systems compared to their predecessors.

For the MacBook Pro, Primate Labs has data on four different models: the new Retina model with 2.3 GHz and 2.6 GHz processors and the non-Retina model with 2.3 GHz and 2.7 GHz processors. The top-of-the-line 2.7 GHz system registers with a Geekbench average score of 12,303, roughly 16% higher than the top-of-the-line 2.5 GHz Sandy Bridge system from the previous generation.

Notably, the leaked MacBook Pro benchmark from mid-May does appear to have been legitimate, with details corresponding to the new non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro. That machine is designated MacBookPro9,1, while the 13-inch model is designated MacBookPro9,2. The Retina MacBook Pro appears as MacBookPro10,1.

On the MacBook Air side, top-of-the-line systems are seeing boosts of over 20% in Geekbench scores over their corresponding predecessors. As with the MacBook Pro, even the low-end systems of the new generation outperform the high end of the previous generation.

Geekbench testing focuses on processor and memory performance, providing comparisons of raw power between machines but only telling part of the story. But with these machines seeing significant boosts in graphics performance with the addition of Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics and/or the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and systems with solid-state drives using faster drives than in the previous generation, real-world performance should see marked improvement.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/benchmarks-for-mid-2012-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air/

Juice

fragmentation in action

edit:siri and 3G facetime barred from the iPad 2. seriously?

There's actually hardware in the variant of the A5 that shipped with the 4S that was added to reduce microphone noise so that Siri would work well. That hardware isn't in the iPad 2's A4 SoC, so there was really no chance they'd have back ported Siri to it (simply because it wouldn't work as well).

rozay

Banned
There's actually hardware in the variant of the A5 that shipped with the 4S that was added to reduce microphone noise so that Siri would work well. That hardware isn't in the iPad 2's A4 SoC, so there was really no chance they'd have back ported Siri to it (simply because it wouldn't work as well).
Any chance you have a source/could point me in the right direction? I'm assuming that didn't make it into the updated iPad 2 either.

edit:found an article. Did you mean to say it wasn't in the iPad 2's A5 SOC?

Juice

So which company is going to carbon clone this the retina laptop? My guess HP

Yeah, nobody else even competes in the > $1k laptop space. Apple has probably repurchased billions of dollars of inventory to secure LCD panels at that density, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's actually increased the cost of high-dpi LCD's for everyone else even more than they were previously.

Juice

Any chance you have a source/could point me in the right direction? I'm assuming that didn't make it into the updated iPad 2 either.

edit:found an article. Did you mean to say it wasn't in the iPad 2's A5 SOC?

Yeah that's what I meant.

So I have to say the dictation feature in Mountain lion is God Like. I will never post on neo gaf ever again with my keyboard. My roommates will think I'm crazy but it totally be worth it

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BOOM!

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...k_pro_finds_soldered_ram_propreitary_ssd.html

Teardown of Retina MacBook Pro finds soldered RAM, proprietary SSD

Apple's new Retina display MacBook Pro has been taken apart and examined from the inside, revealing that the RAM is soldered onto the logic board and cannot be upgraded, and that the proprietary solid-state drive memory was supplied by Samsung.

The details come from iFixit's extensive teardown of the next-generation MacBook Pro, which the site published on Wednesday, just two days after the new notebook was announced. The solutions provider took particular issue with the design of the new MacBook Pro with respect to repairability, giving it a lowest possible score of 1 out of 10.

"Even though it packs lots of gee-whiz bells and whistles, we were thoroughly disappointed when we ventured inside," they said. "This is, to date, the least repairable laptop we've taken apart. Apple has packed all of the things we hate into one beautiful little package."

Among the issues iFixit has with the Retina display MacBook Pro is the fact that the battery is no longer screwed into the machine, and has instead been glued into place. This increases the chances that it will break during disassembly, and makes it particularly hard to fix the trackpad, as its cable goes under the battery.

In addition, the display assembly is completely fused, and there is no glass protecting it. Any failure with the new Retina display would likely need a full replacement.

Interesting as usual for iFixit!

-The SSD *is* removable; but has a proprietary interface, formfactor, and i held down by a proprietary screw as well. It seems to be one of the easiest parts to replace on the system, which is not saying much.

-Chip package space is basically dominated by the DDR3L memory. Better chip density is going to open a boatload of space on this motherboard.

-Guessing the glue decision was to save on weight. The machine is hardly serviceable outside of a dedicated Mac repair factory as it is, but this pretty much seals that you won't be able to ever walk into an Apple store and get a battery replacement. Swap-out only.

Well then, they may as well take the "Pro" out of the name if you can't upgrade the RAM.

Storage and battery... any insufficiencies in those can be handled externally, but there is no such thing as "external RAM." This isn't iOS, with its pseudo-multitasking. This is a system where your needs grow, and expanding your RAM helps in the greatest way possible.

eznark

Banned
I know this isn't really the place for it but it's a quickie and this is where the Mac mind is at right now:

Is the thunderbolt to HDMI adapter good? Do they work well?

(Also, now you guys can laugh at me for questioning Airplay on the Mac since my wife just asked me last night if I could get the show she was watching on her Air onto the TV).

numble

I know this isn't really the place for it but it's a quickie and this is where the Mac mind is at right now:

Is the thunderbolt to HDMI adapter good? Do they work well?

(Also, now you guys can laugh at me for questioning Airplay on the Mac since my wife just asked me last night if I could get the show she was watching on her Air onto the TV).

Can't you just use Plex?

aeroslash

Guys, just a question. Isn't the 650M a little bit on the low side for gaming at such high resolutions?

I have a 570GTX on my desktop computer and i can play battlefield 3 on ultra and 1080p but it has some dips on some points, i can't imagine to play games like the witcher 2 that are gpu intensive at 2000+ resoultion...

Top Bottom