• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love Notification Center on OS X. But I wish they'd streamline it more. I never want to see this kind of dialog again:
i8KGTikAMSVSW.png

Something like that can easily be moved to NC. I get this error all the time, even when the server is working properly, so it just gets in the way. Finder doesn't have a Notifications option for some reason. I really hope they add it in there. I want all dialogs like that to be out of my way instead of stealing my focus at the worst times for no reason.

Edit: Upon second thought, I wonder if it's the Finder at all. This might be from another app which hasn't been updated in years. Still, the Finder could benefit from NC as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
Tried out the iOS7 latest beta. I like the lockscreen changes, UI is improving nicely and good to see Ive is listening to the critiques. But damn it's buggy as hell (understandable, but still). I can't believe anyone who isn't a developer is using this on their main phone for 3 months. Most of the new features aren't working, apps don't support it, constant checkiny for updates. It's less reliable than even a midrange Android handset lol.
iOS6 can't be that bad that anyone is so eager to dump it for this beta

SuperPac

I put it on my daily use phone and I don't find it as buggy as others do. The only app I use regularly that crashes is IMDB. And the only big issue I had was with beta 2 when the phone rebooted itself while I was on a conference call (oops).

Other than a few crashes and some apps not working properly I've been pretty happy with iOS7 especially since they released Beta 4.

gotta love how the more fancy animations in ios7 mask app loading quite well even though i bet with a timer, it ends up around the same time.

is the new ios 7 keyboard only for os apps? Or must developers implement it for their apps. Getting old ios keyboard for all appstore apps.

gotta love how the more fancy animations in ios7 mask app loading quite well even though i bet with a timer, it ends up around the same time.

is the new ios 7 keyboard only for os apps? Or must developers implement it for their apps. Getting old ios keyboard for all appstore apps.

App Store apps are built against earlier SDKs. You'll see the new keyboard once apps are able to be submitted using the GM SDK.

Most distressing bug is the lockscreen media player not functioning; you cannot pause or play; you can only watch the progress bar move as the audio plays.

LCfiner

Most distressing bug is the lockscreen media player not functioning; you cannot pause or play; you can only watch the progress bar move as the audio plays.

I can pause and play from the lock screen (iPhone 5). But there are other bugs affecting me in the media player.

Overall, music playback is way messed up for different devices in this beta

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

havent seen that one yet, but like others my headphone buttons are broken currently and i noticed the lock screen is way more sensitive than before and i find myself flipping to the lock screen pad when im trying to skip a track.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Reset all your Content & Settings via the phone settings and restore from a backup, that should iron out any glitches caused by the beta updating process (yes this happens).

Same goes for the unresponsive power button issue some people had here (I had it now with beta 4 initially but reset the phone and now it's all fine again).

jts

...hate me...
Got on Mavericks today. So far, it has been a completely flawless experience. Doesn't feel different from final software at all... hope I'm not speaking too soon.

Love a nifty little detail on Safari, the tabs don't resize as your closing them, and that makes batch closing a lot easier. Chrome had this already, one of the things I missed. I don't anymore.

Haven't messed up too much with Finder's tags and tabs. I'm kinda hoping that one day you can pin tabs, as there's always a couple of locations you want open almost all the time.

Anyway, it's a pretty damn good update. I dunno if it's worth 20 dollars but it's pretty damn good.

Flek

Banned
Has anyone said to make the Mavericks OT yet?

I would like to make one but don´t know when i should put it up?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Got on Mavericks today. So far, it has been a completely flawless experience. Doesn't feel different from final software at all... hope I'm not speaking too soon.

Love a nifty little detail on Safari, the tabs don't resize as your closing them, and that makes batch closing a lot easier. Chrome had this already, one of the things I missed. I don't anymore.

Haven't messed up too much with Finder's tags and tabs. I'm kinda hoping that one day you can pin tabs, as there's always a couple of locations you want open almost all the time.

Anyway, it's a pretty damn good update. I dunno if it's worth 20 dollars but it's pretty damn good.
How is Mavericks working out for you? I'm testing it now too. It's pretty stable except for a few bugs here and there. I get weird Dock problems occasionally. Like when a certain Terminal script finishes running for some reason the Dock locks up and I can't use Mission Control for sometimes 5 seconds. Or the odd fading to black that happens sometimes 2-3 times when logging in. Or a weird persistent menubar ghost that sometimes stays on screen in Mission Control. Strange non-game-breaking bugs that will surely be fixed by release.

I second the pinning Finder tabs thing. And tags are a bit clunky so far that I've seen. I'll explain.

Has anyone said to make the Mavericks OT yet?

I would like to make one but don´t know when i should put it up?
OT's don't go up until 2 weeks before release. Mavericks is still months away.

numble

Please don't call it Mac OS X. It is my little pet peeve. It is just OS X now. They dropped Mac from the name last year.

jts

...hate me...
How is Mavericks working out for you? I'm testing it now too. It's pretty stable except for a few bugs here and there. I get weird Dock problems occasionally. Like when a certain Terminal script finishes running for some reason the Dock locks up and I can't use Mission Control for sometimes 5 seconds. Or the odd fading to black that happens sometimes 2-3 times when logging in. Or a weird persistent menubar ghost that sometimes stays on screen in Mission Control. Strange non-game-breaking bugs that will surely be fixed by release.

I second the pinning Finder tabs thing. And tags are a bit clunky so far that I've seen. I'll explain.
So far, it's working out really well after 1 day of usage. Still feels like gold software. No issues.

Granted, I'm on vacation right now so my computer's workload is rather light, mainly browsing. I've seen a few hiccups in Mail when I had to check something out, but they were really short and meaningless. No app crashes so far. System never hanged. And by the time I go back to work we must be on an even sweeter DP5.

Anyway, dat scrolling in Mission Control. (don't tell me it was already there)

One funny thing: so Safari doesn't reload pages anymore when your go back etc, and that must be great right? Well, yeah, however when I'm for example browsing my subscribed threads on GAF, go inside a thread, return to subscriptions page, I can't see anymore the pages I've visited, unless I reload. Haha. You can't win all the time, I guess.

media player is pretty buggy in beta 4. if you have music playing and then unlock the screen it often jumps backwards in your songs. also it keeps rejecting my sim card

My sleep/wake button trouble is definitely hardware, so getting my phone replaced today before it completely fails.

I'm actually happy about this as it's effectively a mulligan for all of the tiny scuffs on the chamfer and a reset on any battery wear and tear.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My sleep/wake button trouble is definitely hardware, so getting my phone replaced today before it completely fails.

I'm actually happy about this as it's effectively a mulligan for all of the tiny scuffs on the chamfer and a reset on any battery wear and tear.
I've had a seemingly broken power button as well. Re-restored my phone onto beta 4 and it went away. Seemingly has to do with the parallax scrolling effect while moving the phone preventing the phone from going into sleep/wake properly. Filed a bug with Apple.

I've had a seemingly broken power button as well. Re-restored my phone onto beta 4 and it went away. Seemingly has to do with the parallax scrolling effect while moving the phone preventing the phone from going into sleep/wake properly. Filed a bug with Apple.

There's probably still some software issues, but mine was definitely hardware. I have parallax turned off and they seemed to know the problem well—both phone support which I checked with beforehand and the lady at the store both said they've seen a lot and it usually fails on one side of the button first before completely failing.

Can anyone get airdrop sharing working? I can see my wife's device but when trying to share a photo just says waiting.. Forever. Is that not working yet?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Can anyone get airdrop sharing working? I can see my wife's device but when trying to share a photo just says waiting.. Forever. Is that not working yet?

This is all it says in the release notes:

AirDrop
Notes

• AirDrop in iOS 7 Seed 2 or later is not compatible with AirDrop in iOS 7 Seed 1.
Contacts Only support requires that:
  • You are logged in to iCloud.
  • The sender and receiver have each other’s Apple ID email addresses in Contacts on their devices.
Known Issues

• Contact Only currently requires that you have an active Internet connection.
  • The App Store should support the ability to find an app capable of opening a received document based on the document’s Uniform Type Identifier (UTI). Currently, just a blank screen is displayed.

Edit: just tried it on my iPhone and iPad, both running beta 4 and set to 'AirDrop: Everyone' and it worked first time sending a photo.

It doesn't work to my mac does it? airdrop i mean

Unfortunately no. AirDrop on the Mac is file based, and most of AirDrop on iOS is URL-based (with the exception of sending photos).

Here's hoping they become compatible with each other in the future once iOS finally gets its file organization figured out and once OS X becomes better at URL handling on an OS level.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There's probably still some software issues, but mine was definitely hardware. I have parallax turned off and they seemed to know the problem well—both phone support which I checked with beforehand and the lady at the store both said they've seen a lot and it usually fails on one side of the button first before completely failing.

Turned off? You talking about Reduced Motion in the Accessibility settings? That doesn't actually turn off parallax, it just reduces the amount it animates.

Apple got back to me earlier today re: my bug report (filed it quite a while back) and they said in non-descriptive terms that there's a known issue whereby certain active UI elements or movements can cause the screen becoming unresponsive to waking or sleeping (rogue process w/ gyro or something I'm guessing), usually solved by minimizing apps and folders and/or holding the power button for a more extended period of time.

Not saying your issue was solely caused by a software glitch, just making you aware that any replacement device you get may exhibit similar symptoms on iOS 7.

Good odds of an update to Mavericks today? Or do we think they'll wait until next week so they can get Mavericks and iOS 7 releases back in sync with each other.

Turned off? You talking about Reduced Motion in the Accessibility settings? That doesn't actually turn off parallax, it just reduces the amount it animates.

I'm positive Springboard and Safari no longer do any parallax with Reduced Motion enabled. Springboard zooms to ~120% on the background to allow for the parallax and with reduced motion it zooms back out to normal size as it no longer needs the gutter.

I also noticed in testing before that there's a distinct drop in CPU usage from backboardd during views that use Motion Effects APIs (Springboard and Safari tabs being the big ones). The home screen parallax is especially wasteful for me as I only use solid backgrounds.

I haven't use Motion Effects yet to know how it behaves in the two states, but Apple's apps are disabling parallax when Reduced Motion is ticked.

Dennis

Banned
I realise this probably isn't the right thread to ask but I don't know which one to otherwise use so here goes:

I purchased a Macbook Air and want to Bootcamp Windows. The question is, do I go with Windows 7 or 8?

I am not asking which is the better OS in general but rather which is most supported by Bootcamp.

Thanks for any replies or directions to a more appropriate thread.

I realise this probably isn't the right thread to ask but I don't know which one to otherwise use so here goes:

I purchased a Macbook Air and want to Bootcamp Windows. The question is, do I go with Windows 7 or 8?

I am not asking which is the better OS in general but rather which is most supported by Bootcamp.

Both are supported: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5628?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Mobius 1

Windows 7 is better supported.

Top Bottom