• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

celebi23

It'll be live streamed: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.

BANNERZ

wwdc_2014_banner.jpg

Thanks. Updating the OP now.

giga

So, I use a Macbook Air and an iPhone 5 and my Windows computers have QuickTime and I have AppleTVs that meet the requirements, so obviously I'm not negatively impacted by this... but I really have no idea why Apple doesn't use more standardized Streaming tech for this stuff. I mean, I guess I do know, it's a mix of technical reasons and stubbornness, but still, it's always sort of made me raise my eyebrow.
Is there really a standard streaming tech though? HTTP Live Streaming, which Apple and others use now, seems to be the only attempt at making a standard streaming protocol.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Chances for IOS8 being redesigned are really slim right? i still cant get used to how it looks...
It'll be tweaked as it has been since 7 came out. But it won't be redesigned. Get used to it. OS X will probably gain some design cues from it too.

I like how iOS 7 looks. It has its problems but it's really nice looking. Especially on my 5C. I hope that cool blurring transparency in apps makes its way into some OS X apps. I love how the Reminders app looks on the iPad with the wallpaper showing through. They should do that with the OS X Reminders app too. I dunno, I just love transparency and blurring when it's done well. But that's just me.

MedIC86

It'll be tweaked as it has been since 7 came out. But it won't be redesigned. Get used to it. OS X will probably gain some design cues from it too.

I like how iOS 7 looks. It has its problems but it's really nice looking. Especially on my 5C. I hope that cool blurring transparency in apps makes its way into some OS X apps. I love how the Reminders app looks on the iPad with the wallpaper showing through. They should do that with the OS X Reminders app too. I dunno, I just love transparency and blurring when it's done well. But that's just me.

Well i've had iphones since the 4 but i might not get the 6 and get an android just because of the way the OS looks now...its just to kiddy for me, but thats personal i guess.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think the AppleTV situation is complicated, in the sense that it needs a functionality update requiring new input hardware and (hopefully) an accompanying SDK, but once OS X adopts the iOS 7 look (and presumably apple.com and store.apple.com will fully move over to an iOS 7 aesthetic instead of the half-of-each thing they've got now), it'll be weird for the AppleTV to stand out in that regard.

I'm curious to see how Apple handles that, because:
- I think they'd want to give a dramatic new revision to the Apple TV concept its own full standalone event rather than doing it at WWDC
- new APIs for it with fairly drastically different input from the way that the iPhone works mean that a simple iOS-emulator process with prototyping on Macs and iPhones would be very tricky, so you'd need to get the hardware into developer hands well before release
- I'm fairly sure they're waiting to revise the look of the AppleTV version of iOS until all of the above happens for the sake of making a bigger splash

The iPhone (complete with its input method and a well-thought-out series of examples on how to use multitouch in a way consistent with Apple's UI standards) was already out before the App Store existed, which made that transition fairly easy for developers, and the iPad was in many ways a big iPhone, which made that transition fairly easy for developers as well. Not sure those luxuries would exist for a voice-controlled AppleTV.

The easy thing would be to release a version of the AppleTV iOS that is still closed to developers and still just uses the Apple Remote but has an iOS 7 aesthetic, and/or announce the full update while also selling an iSight/[kinect]/whatever accessory for existing AppleTV models (though I kinda doubt that the single-core A5 will be up to the ambitions of the new platform). I don't think Apple's gonna do that stuff though.

Blackhead

Redarse
I agree. Let it go. All the stuff that Widgets do is done better with other services. And many could be put into the OS with some tweaks to Notification Center. (Imagine "Today" with its own sidebar on the left side showing weather, time and upcoming events and stuff.) I'm sad Notification Center Widgets never took off. They'd be a perfect replacement on OS X for regular Widgets. Hell, I'd love a gesture where you drag two fingers from the top of the pad down and it would bring down "Today" with all that stuff.

The Wolfram Alpha stuff was the best part though. Like a stand-up routine. "Oh not to worry, cuz there's this little checkbox and you'll click the little checkbox and it'll be fine." "So I said okay, I'll send out our crack team of emergency Macintosh developers that we keep on standby... that'll be Rob." "And I'd especially like to thank the Apple Engineering team for freeing up my weekend."

74uHMgq.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The difference being it would be brought out by a gesture. And would have a single unified look matching the OS instead of looking like a bunch of crap dumped out on a sidebar.

Man, the mid '00s were a huge time for widgets.

My only problem with Widgets/Gadgets were how hard it was to find ones that looked nice and had unified looks to them. You always got different looking ones from different developers and they all looked terrible, none matched another. Even Apple's all had different looks. It was like they just wanted you to dump them all on the desktop in random places, which is why they were never on the desktop, rather a hidden floating page you had to show. But they all looked nothing alike. Soooo much skeuomorphism back then.

When Konfabulator came out, I made my own. Just to make sure they worked together and looked the same across the board. Then when I dumped Konf--Yahoo! Widget Engine I switched to making my own Bowtie bowlet and GeekTool scripts to make nice looking displays directly on my desktop that looked better than whatever Apple or Microsoft offered.

I hope it would actually be brought out with a swipe from the top. It's so hard for me to perform the gesture on the left. But doing it from the top is so easy and is currently unused.

If Apple just straight-up dumped the Dashboard, I really don't think people would miss it. Not sure it'd need to be replaced with anything in particular, unless Siri counts (and assuming Siri gains some more Google Now-esque capabilities like finding package shipping/flight tracking info in your email and so on).

Apple needs to recognize that Google Now is a *genuinely very cool and revolutionary* feature and they need to figure out a way to have something similar while also emphasizing that users still have privacy (which is an important selling point for Apple, and would also serve to undermine the use of Google Now as an example of benefits derived specifically from giving Google all of your data).

And if Apple *can't* do something similar without violating user privacy, it's time for them to think long and hard about their priorities.

Dashboard is obsolete several times over as far as at-a-glance information is concerned (and good god it's slow and buggy).

mrkgoo

I take that the chances of them showing anything related to iPhone 6 during WWDC are non-existant?
They may have a plan for higher-res screens mentioned. Like talk about moving forward with resolution-independent assets and stuff. But that's be all.

Fuchsdh

I kinda feel like it's time for Dashboard to go, it's 10 years old now. Does anybody really use it anymore? Maybe move the weather, calendar etc. into notification center or something.

I used it all the time for iStats, but then they turned into a menu bar item. I still use its calendar and calculator, but you're right—that stuff could be made into a system layer. I just wonder if it works fine where it is with the benefit of being able to roll your own.

Looking back the lack of easy discoverability for widgets and Apple's own move away from HTML5 stuff with the iPhone killed it. Apple realized native applications were the way to go, and cut their losses.

There's already a lot of transparency in OS X—just not as garish as it was in 10.1, 10.2, etc. Not sure the blurring wouldn't just make it look muddier, personally.

All I know is if Jony Ive tries to remove button shapes, I will hunt him down and apply one of those Braun cheese graters to his anatomy.

iWatch and new MacMini, lets do this.

iWatch is unlikely - like a significant AppleTV update, I think it'd likely merit its own announcement event.

Mac mini is likely to get updated whenever the 4K Thunderbolt 2 Display happens (and not before), I think, which is going to happen right around when a 4K iMac happens. All that is possible-ish at WWDC, but I think it's more likely that we'll get all that later in the summer (along with the rumored 12" 'Retina' MacBook Air). A $999 low-end iMac at WWDC is looking pretty possible, though.

I'm thinking that remaining post-WWDC major event possibilities for 2014 include:

- the near-certainty of a September/October iPhone/iPod event, with the strong possibility that the iPad upgrades will get folded into that one
- a reasonably-likely-at-some-point Mac event with 4K iMacs, Retina MacBook Air, Mac mini with Thunderbolt 2, and 4K Thunderbolt 2 Display, and possibly the permanent retirement of the non-Retina MacBook Pro
- a iWatch event, assuming it doesn't show up at WWDC as the big HealthBook accessory and coming-this-fall and so forth (in which case it'll be more clearly subordinated to the rest of the Apple ecosystem as something that is clearly just an accessory to everything else, as opposed to being its own platform used for seeing notifications or dictating messages or whatever the heck)
- an AppleTV event premiering an app/channel store, new hardware (a7 or a8 chip?), and new input method

Fuchsdh

iWatch is unlikely - like a significant AppleTV update, I think it'd likely merit its own announcement event.

Mac mini is likely to get updated whenever the 4K Thunderbolt 2 Display happens (and not before), I think, which is going to happen right around when a 4K iMac happens. All that is possible-ish at WWDC, but I think it's more likely that we'll get all that later in the summer (along with the rumored 12" 'Retina' MacBook Air). A $999 low-end iMac at WWDC is looking pretty possible, though.

I don't see why they wouldn't put out a new mini now; they've got TB2 and they've got integrated graphics powerful enough for it in the MBPs (although to have a SKU with BTO dedicated graphics again...) And a $999 Mac seems plausible too (I just hope they kill the damn 5400rpm drives in the 21.5 inchers already.)

The groundwork for this was already laid with iOS 6, and even further with iOS 7's TextKit.

Not to mention the Layout/non-pixel dependent capabilities of iOS 7. The writing's been on the wall for years now. The devs who are going to get caught with their pants down are the people who haven't been attentive to recent developments anyhow.

subrock

I'm actually getting a little bit hyped for this. Hyped mainly because of the livestream, and the fact that Gruber is excited.

GWX

It'll be live streamed: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.

The Quicktime for Windows part was removed, it seems.
Apple's Website said:
Live streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.
Just like last year then.

Fuchsdh

I'm actually getting a little bit hyped for this. Hyped mainly because of the livestream, and the fact that Gruber is excited.

I think it might be a virtue of this latest home automation rumor, frankly. I can't really think of many times we've had very late new rumors; suggests that Apple might have more up its sleeve than what we know. Everyone likes surprises (even the leakers!)

Not to mention the Layout/non-pixel dependent capabilities of iOS 7. The writing's been on the wall for years now. The devs who are going to get caught with their pants down are the people who haven't been attentive to recent developments anyhow.

iOS 6? Due to the iPhone 5?

A lot of the layout stuff (where elements are placed relative to each other instead of at precise pixel coordinates) originated in iOS 6, not iOS 7, and was a part of what helped confirmed people's suspicions that a taller iPhone was coming. iOS 6 betas (and iOS 7 even through the latest versions, at least in the Music app) demonstrated some bugs where elements would redraw themselves in the wrong place if you rotated between landscape and portrait at the wrong moment as a result of layout stuff.

LCfiner

can’t say I give a shit about home automation. I can’t get excited about saving the time of turning on a light or getting an email when laundry is done. I can operate light switches pretty easily. it’s one of the easiest things I do in my life.

it’s all very meh to me.

similarly, health book rumours don’t excite me, either.

So I’m hoping there’s other “big" stuff that’s coming in iOS 8 and 10.10.

can’t say I give a shit about home automation. I can’t get excited about saving the time of turning on a light or getting an email when laundry is done. I can operate light switches pretty easily. it’s one of the easiest things I do in my life.

I don't either, but Apple seems to care so much that it's starting to get my attention.

I have my wallet ready for whatever is revealed.

giga

it’s all very meh to me.

I love controlling my thermostat when I'm at work or on vacation. Smart home appliances are awesome.

LCfiner

I get the thermostat appeal.

Although, again just speaking personally, it doesn’t really matter too much for me since I have thermostats in every room (electrical baseboard heaters everywhere) and wouldn’t really need or want to control all of them over the web or spend 800 bucks for 4 rooms of Nest thermostats. And I wouldn’t want to remove that room-by-room control for a single Nest or equivalent.

I just have low set points by default and increase it when i get home if I want it warmer. takes two or three minutes for a room to heat up.

I guess I find the home automation stuff to be solving minor convenience issues. Until you start looking into making the “Bill Gates Home” from old CES demos and spending thousands for smart fridges that warn you when reaching low yogurt levels or kitchen counters that can read what you’ve put on them.

it’s all very meh to me.

Home automation doesn't excite me, but similar deeper-infrastructure stuff is *way* more exciting to me than e.g. wearables.

I want:
subway turnstiles that detect your phone and let you through
unlocking doors and cars with your phone
mobile payment systems embedded even in stuff like vending machines
use of the telephone to provide valid ID

Basically, for your smartphone to fully replace your wallet and keys so it's truly the only device you need to carry with you (and a wallet and keys that you can essentially switch off immediately if it gets stolen from you).

The technology for all of that exists, now, but it'd require a FUCKTON of government investment in infrastructure and policy changes for it to happen, so the libertarian-leaning Valley's never going to get excited about it *and* it's never going to happen in the US.

solarus

Chances for IOS8 being redesigned are really slim right? i still cant get used to how it looks...

All I want is faster animations, every animation such as returning to home screen and opening apps became over animated ever since ios 7. I don't want to have to use the reduce motion option, just make the animations like how it was for ios 6 and prior.

All I want is faster animations, every animation such as returning to home screen and opening apps became over animated ever since ios 7. I don't want to have to use the reduce motion option, just make the animations like how it was for ios 6 and prior.

The animation speed for the normal OS and for the "reduce motion" animation is the same as of iOS 7.1. If you don't like the style that's one thing, but the actual animation speed is no longer an issue.

LeleSocho

Banned

From 7 to 7.1 they have doubled the speed of animations.
Still that goddamn "slide down for spotlight" still lags on every device, even iPad Air/iPhone5S

The animation speed for the normal OS and for the "reduce motion" animation is the same as of iOS 7.1. If you don't like the style that's one thing, but the actual animation speed is no longer an issue.

And it never was if you ask me.

KtSlime

Well i've had iphones since the 4 but i might not get the 6 and get an android just because of the way the OS looks now...its just to kiddy for me, but thats personal i guess.
I've never been able to figure out how white = kiddy, but to each their own. I got used to it, there are some minor things I miss about the old style, but they weren't going to be able to keep it that way forever.

Dashboard talk: I really only use it for 2 purposes, checking the time in another timezone, and checking exchange rate.

LCfiner

perhaps the “kiddie” comment refers more to the bright colours and gradients everywhere. I can see someone making that connection, even if I don’t necessarily agree with it.

@badcrumble. that future seems very interesting and a little scary but I agree with you that this would be huge and I think that eventually needs to be where things head to really make a big shift over what we have now, imo.

Iacobellis

From 7 to 7.1 they have doubled the speed of animations.
Still that goddamn "slide down for spotlight" still lags on every device, even iPad Air/iPhone5S

And it never was if you ask me.

Spotlight has lagged on first swipe ever since 3.0/3GS. And the animation speed was severely slow before 7.1.

LeleSocho

Banned
Spotlight has lagged on first swipe ever since 3.0/3GS. And the animation speed was severely slow before 7.1.

That's why they should fix it, it's been there for too long...

Bah it was just fine for me, i almost didn't noticed it that they had doubled it the first time i used 7.1

I still use widgets... they are useful to me.

I'm not saying Dashboard doesn't serve a purpose. At-a-glance information like what you posted is great and deeply necessary. I'm just saying that a Siri model, or (better yet) a Google Now model, is better at accomplishing that job.

Or at least something not based on HTML5/Javascript that runs like shit. Apple needs a clean break with Dashboard.

Fuchsdh

I use a few of them— I am honestly curious how useful they are on their own space as in your screenshot. I'm always using them in relation to something on the (non-dashboard) screen.

I have no idea why they are their own space as a default as of (at least?) 10.8. They're worthless unless overlaid across the screen to me.

I have no idea why they are their own space as a default as of (at least?) 10.8. They're worthless unless overlaid across the screen to me.

Why's that? I know there's one that uses Quartz to function as a movable magnifying glass (IIRC), but that's taken care of by Universal Access preferences on an OS level. Otherwise, the animation of moving to the separate screen is technically faster/smoother than moving them on top of the main screen you're using.

I'm sorta disappointed with Mavericks. I hope the next one is a better upgrade.

Mavericks is in many ways the new Snow Leopard and I fucking love it, though it definitely hasn't hit the rock-solid stability of OS X 10.6.8 yet.

Right now Apple's ecosystem is much more in need of iCloud improvements than it is in need of OS X or iOS improvements (though iOS really, really needs some sort of document-handler, albeit one that, IMO, ought to reside primarily in iCloud).

I honestly would not be too surprised to see 10.10 mostly be some iCloud improvements, Siri, and the all-but-confirmed huge visual alteration/unifiation, and very little else in the way of end-user-facing features *or* major new APIs. It'll be a mostly-cosmetic upgrade just like iOS 7 was a mostly-cosmetic upgrade (though iOS 7 had some really fascinating new APIs like TextKit and I expect the same of OS X 10.10).

Pachimari

For the first time I'm not hyped. It probably have to do with me having sold my MacBook Air, Mac Mini etc and now I only got an iPhone 5. But I'm not sure if it's capable of counting my steps for Healthbook.

Home automation interests me greatly, so I'm looking forward to that. But I can't get too excited about ios 8 so far, as I'm jailbroken. Hopefully it has more than Healthbook. A re-imagined GameCenter would be nice.

Besides that, I'm only excited about iWatch and Apple TV, which won't be revealed at WWDC.

Apple really, really, really needs to revamp the way the App Store is curated because it's far too easily manipulated by free apps with in-app purchases (and simple list-rankings of the moment are pretty crap). It actively encourages making apps that are *worse* in the sense of hiding all features behind in-app purchases and in the sense of strongly encouraging intrusive rate-this-app dialogs. They've shown signs of being unafraid to piss developers off in the past when it involves improving a product, so hopefully something like that is coming soon.

The App Store should first and foremost be a way for Mac/iOS users to find great apps that serve their purposes. All other concerns should be secondary. That means smart curation that isn't biased against newcomers.

Top Bottom