• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

hirokazu

This attitude is really fucking stupid.

No, the reason for developer previews is for me to test my applications, not for me to serve as Apple's QA team. Plus, me reporting a memory leak is incredibly useless unless I can document the exact case which causes the memory leak. If I don't have the time to narrow it down, I'm not going to write it up. If Apple ships an OS with a memory leak, under their tightly controlled hardware and drivers, that is on them, not me.

You sound like the type of person just likes to whine but do nothing to help. I imagine as a developer, you also rely on your users to provide information on bugs so that you can code a fix. Imagine if all your users were just like "Your app is crashing all the time! Waah waah. Why should I be helping you fix it?"

It's true that it's best to be as specific as possible, but nobody's asking you to spend hours isolating the bug. You just have to provide what you know. Apple's devs will use whatever you submit to try to narrow it down.

giga

New Finder icon in GM is much improved.

Old.

ggveRgY.png
New

Also a sneak peak at a new iWork design.

Xq3YyNs.jpg

Jobiensis

You sound like the type of person just likes to whine but do nothing to help.

Ad hominem, nice start.

I imagine as a developer, you also rely on your users to provide information on bugs so that you can code a fix. Imagine if all your users were just like "Your app is crashing all the time! Waah waah. Why should I be helping you fix it?"

As a developer I don't really rely on users for bugs at all, I rely on my QA/testers. Even on a public beta, user input is far more valuable for UI/workflow than actual bugs. If all my users are having a problem, then my QA team needs to be fired.

The bug itself isn't that big of a deal, because I'm sure they'll fix it. I personally thought them having to patch Mail was a larger deal. But neither of these sorts of things should happen right before a GM.

But yes, I'm very sorry I was too busy working in my small company to help out the poor multi-billion dollar company by reporting my couple of occurrences of an issue.

Fuchsdh

New Finder icon in GM is much improved.

Old.

New

Also a sneak peak at a new iWork design.

Xq3YyNs.jpg

Thank the lord. Even those little tweaks are tremendously better--the old one looked like someone just discovered Bevels and emboss layer styles in Photoshop. Still wish it kept the thicker divider between the "faces", still doesn't scan right to me without it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So is this the GM? Apparently since it no longer says "Beta" in About This Mac. I bet it's safe enough to upgrade my Mac mini too. Now that CCC works fine. Then I can start testing out iCloud Drive between computers. Has anyone tried it yet on two Macs? Is the updating instant enough that a file dropped in iCloud Drive will instantly show up on the other end? (Providing the file is small enough of course.)

Jobiensis

So is this the GM? Apparently since it no longer says "Beta" in About This Mac. I bet it's safe enough to upgrade my Mac mini too. Now that CCC works fine. Then I can start testing out iCloud Drive between computers. Has anyone tried it yet on two Macs? Is the updating instant enough that a file dropped in iCloud Drive will instantly show up on the other end? (Providing the file is small enough of course.)

This is the GM.

RevoDS

It's a GM candidate. It may or may not end up being the actual GM.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's a GM candidate. It may or may not end up being the actual GM.
Good. Because it still has some of the same bugs.

I mean come on. Gesture animations still get stuck? I was able to get the Widget Sidebar stuck halfway out on the first try. Swipe to pull it out. Then swipe to close it but stop short halfway and let go. It just gets stuck there. And you can't close it after that unless you click. LaunchPad gets stuck part way too.

Jobiensis

I doubt they aren't going to release this. I will be the first to applaud if Apple does decide to hold off. I really think Apple has been a bit too driven to hit marketing milestones on the software side. I do think they are doing a hell of a job with iOS and OSX, they just need more time.

There's a lot of "October 14th" in the video demos in the Yosemite gm. People are guessing that that could be the release date/Apple event day.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
On the dock is inconspicuous (I use it on the left side), but I actually noticed they made the icon lighter as soon as I used cmd + tab, haha.

edit: holy shit, quick editing of posts seems to be fixed and you don't have to reload anymore, I don't know if it's a Safari thing or gaf fix though.

edit 2: false alarm, reload is still necessary sometimes.

Ninja Dom

I'm still on PB3 and have a question. If I upgrade to PB GM and a few months down the line 10.10.1 gets released then can I update to that straight from the GM?

Ninja Dom

Just getting round to updating my iMac to the new Public Beta.

App Store isn't referring to it as Public Beta Gold Master. Instead it's being referred to as Public Beta 4.

Does this still have Feedback Assistant?

Ninja Dom

Updated to Public Beta 4.

The fact that this is being called Public Beta 4 in the Mac App Store and that it still has Feedback Assistant makes me definitely believe that there is another Yosemite release to come before we can declare it final.

Deku Tree

Updated to Public Beta 4.

The fact that this is being called Public Beta 4 in the Mac App Store and that it still has Feedback Assistant makes me definitely believe that there is another Yosemite release to come before we can declare it final.

I hope they leave the feedback assistant in the final version. They should let us report more bugs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Aww man. I wanted to install Yosemite GM on my Mac mini so both my machines could be running it and I could test some of the features I couldn't before, but I'm getting the stupid "Code has been redeemed" error when I log into AppleSeed and click the Redeem button. And Googling turns up solutions that don't work. Maybe I just can't get in? Though it makes no sense. The "1 million" number is attached to people, not machines. So in theory I should be able to put all my Macs (All two of them) on it. I guess I'll just wait for the final on my mini. Oh well. I really wanted to try iCloud Drive syncing speed.

RevoDS

Aww man. I wanted to install Yosemite GM on my Mac mini so both my machines could be running it and I could test some of the features I couldn't before, but I'm getting the stupid "Code has been redeemed" error when I log into AppleSeed and click the Redeem button. And Googling turns up solutions that don't work. Maybe I just can't get in? Though it makes no sense. The "1 million" number is attached to people, not machines. So in theory I should be able to put all my Macs (All two of them) on it. I guess I'll just wait for the final on my mini. Oh well. I really wanted to try iCloud Drive syncing speed.
It's tied to your Apple ID. Of course you can't redeem, you already have it from your other Mac. If you don't get a weird issue all you should need to do to install it is to log into the App Store on your Mac, find Yosemite in your "Purchased" items and it should download PB4 and you'd be good to go. AppleSeed is only for the initial enrollment.

Deku Tree

You get it from your purchased items on the App Store.

Fuu

Already sent a report for it but iTunes (12.0.0.117) flat-out stopped finding my iPad and iPhone through WiFi on Yosemite PB4. Never had problems with the feature before and always use it to send videos, e-books and comics to my devices, so hopefully it's fixed soon.

Deku Tree

Already sent a report for it but iTunes (12.0.0.117) flat-out stopped finding my iPad and iPhone through WiFi on Yosemite PB4. Never had problems with the feature before and always use it to send videos, e-books and comics to my devices, so hopefully it's fixed soon.

That happens to me sometimes even on Macericks too. You can try restarting iTunes, or restarting your phone (turn it off and on), and/or restarting your computer. Or plug your phone into your computer.

Fuu

That happens to me sometimes even on Macericks too. You can try restarting iTunes, or restarting your phone (turn it off and on), and/or restarting your computer. Or plug your phone into your computer.
I'll be damned, turning the phone off and on helped just right now and I could swear I tried that yesterday. Thanks! I feel a bit silly for sending the report now though, haha.

Ambitious

I hope at some point they enhance the feature set of iCloud tabs. I'd like to be able to open a tab on another device, for instance. On the iPhone it's already possible to reorder tabs by dragging them in the tab overview, why not let me drag it down to the iCloud section in order to "send" it to another device?

I'm having that issue on Mavericks all the time. Usually, restarting either iTunes, the Mac, or the Phone fixes it for a while, but currently my only option is to plug it in. It just doesn't work.

Deku Tree

I hope at some point they enhance the feature set of iCloud tabs. I'd like to be able to open a tab on another device, for instance. On the iPhone it's already possible to reorder tabs by dragging them in the tab overview, why not let me drag it down to the iCloud section in order to "send" it to another device?

I'm having that issue on Mavericks all the time. Usually, restarting either iTunes, the Mac, or the Phone fixes it for a while, but currently my only option is to plug it in. It just doesn't work.

It works most of the time for me. But yeah it regularly sometimes has a hard time "finding" devices. I am not sure why. I am happy the feature exists, even if it doesn't reliably work 100% of the time.

Ninja Dom

Has anybody tried Mail Drop yet?

Apple Website said:
Now there’s almost nothing that’s too big to mail. When you’re signed in to iCloud, Mail Drop lets you send large files like videos, presentations, even a folder of images without having to worry about your service provider’s limitations. With Mail Drop, when you send a large attachment, it’s automatically uploaded to iCloud. If your recipients use Mail, they’ll receive the attachment just as they do today. If they use another app or webmail, they’ll receive a link to download it. Mail Drop works with any email service. All you need to do is click Send, and Mail takes care of it for you.

Up to 5GB per email.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's tied to your Apple ID. Of course you can't redeem, you already have it from your other Mac. If you don't get a weird issue all you should need to do to install it is to log into the App Store on your Mac, find Yosemite in your "Purchased" items and it should download PB4 and you'd be good to go. AppleSeed is only for the initial enrollment.
You get it from your purchased items on the App Store.
Now I feel silly. How did I not think of that?

hirokazu

"It just works."

I think the software side may just be the start of Apple's unravelling and I really hope they notice and do something about it before it's too late. iOS 8 feels like they released a beta to the public a month before it was ready. I've never had as many Springboard crashes on release version as I have on iOS 8.

And a lot of regular non-tech people are starting to notice the poor quality of the software.

So I just filed a strange bug (I think) in the Yosemite beta involving Handoff. I was never able to get Handoff to work on my 2012 rMBP even though it's supported. All of my devices are signed into the same iCloud account, on the same network, and have Bluetooth enabled. Still no dice. What I noticed after some messing around is that it works perfectly if I have the Bluetooth preferences window open (click on the bluetooth icon in the status bar and select "open bluetooth preferences") on my MacBook, as soon as I close that window it will stop working again. I've been able to repeat this every time.

Ninja Dom

I have a problem with the last iTunes Beta and my iPhone 6 (iOS8).

The cover art from my videos wasn't going onto the iPhone, whereas the same videos had the cover art go on fine when I was on Mavericks, iPhone 5S (iOS 7) a year ago.

Hopefully the new update to iTunes on Yosemite PB4 will fix that. Gonna delete the vids off my iPhone then put them back on and see.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. My album art for music transfers to the iPhone fine, its just cover art for my Movies and TV Shows that doesn't transfer - unless I purchased them from iTunes then there's no problem.

EmiPrime

"It just works."

I think the software side may just be the start of Apple's unravelling and I really hope they notice and do something about it before it's too late. iOS 8 feels like they released a beta to the public a month before it was ready. I've never had as many Springboard crashes on release version as I have on iOS 8.

And a lot of regular non-tech people are starting to notice the poor quality of the software.

Hard to disagree with a lot of that. While OS X itself is fine (Yosemite has been usable as a primary OS since PB1), Apple's software and iOS8 leave a lot to be desired. A lot can happen in a year though and they're laying some very necessary groundwork for the future but right now it's very unfinished and Google's services and Android are far more solid. We'll see what iOS9 brings and if the new photos app and iCloud are any good.

Mobius 1

Hard to disagree with a lot of that. While OS X itself is fine (Yosemite has been usable as a primary OS since PB1), Apple's software and iOS8 leave a lot to be desired. A lot can happen in a year though and they're laying some very necessary groundwork for the future but right now it's very unfinished and Google's services and Android are far more solid. We'll see what iOS9 brings and if the new photos app and iCloud are any good.

Apple needs to decouple the software and hardware refresh cycle, but I fear they are constrained by the expectations they've setup in their marketing for yearly cycles. It's somewhat ridiculous – Yosemite releases mid-October, and in just 7 months they will announce the next OSX release, with a beta not far behind.

If they were to slow down a little and only release iOS revisions with the main hardware revisions (not the S mid-life ones), things could get better.

EmiPrime

Apple needs to decouple the software and hardware refresh cycle, but I fear they are constrained by the expectations they've setup in their marketing for yearly cycles. It's somewhat ridiculous – Yosemite releases mid-October, and in just 7 months they will announce the next OSX release, with a beta not far behind.

If they were to slow down a little and only release iOS revisions with the main hardware revisions (not the S mid-life ones), things could get better.

I agree and it's especially silly given that OS X updates have gone from a small cost to free; they don't need to hold back updates to apps as an incentive to upgrade. There's also no excuse for iCloud still not being good enough and the photos situation to still be uncertain.

I can't believe that terrible, useless Maps app is still a thing...

leng jai

The new iTunes update is terrible. I hate how the videos show separately in My Music by default. Did they remove grid view from the playlist section as well?

jts

...hate me...
I agree and it's especially silly given that OS X updates have gone from a small cost to free; they don't need to hold back updates to apps as an incentive to upgrade. There's also no excuse for iCloud still not being good enough and the photos situation to still be uncertain.

I can't believe that terrible, useless Maps app is still a thing...
I've used the Maps app a handful of times to set a route before leaving home then push it to my phone.

Should've been a web app probably.

Fuu

What, did they remove the audio slider in the new iTunes beta, or is this just me?
The slider is showing for me but both the shuffle and repeat icons are disappearing intermittently

Also, I use "go to current song" all the time and I thought I was tripping when the shortcut kept bringing the downloads window up. For some reason both are set to cmd+L now.

Top Bottom