• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

RoKKeR

I'm assuming you don't have applecare, as otherwise you could just take it in for a repair, right?

No AppleCare, no.

I'm thinking of just taking it to the Apple store and seeing if they will/can do anything about it. They can be weird sometimes and be surprisingly chill with fixes. (and not as much other times)

Worth a shot maybe?

jts

...hate me...
^ That was very necessary. Mail was unusable after the PB3 update for me and a lot of people.

Too bad I deleted my signatures to make it kinda functional again just today.

But I've been using Mailbox mostly.

Fuchsdh

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in this thread for making sure that my 10.10.0 experience will be that much smoother. :)

The Boat

So I can't update or download any app either on my iPad 2 or iPhone 5 (both with iOS 7), because it asks me to agree to new Terms and Conditions, but only a blank page shows up.

I did everything I've seen online, enabled cookies, deactivated iCloud, used Find my Friends, resetted, nothing works. Any help?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really really hope PB4 fixes the bug where features that are activated via gesture in real-time, i.e. Notification Center which slides out and in and LaunchPad which fades in and out based on how far into the gesture your fingers are, stops getting stuck halfway.

It happens all the time. All. The. Time. Half-faded LaunchPad, half-slid out Notification Center. Come on, Apple! You're better than this!

Same thing occasionally happens with switching between spaces. Not as often, but it happens.

iCloud photos should be coming to iCloud.com

s0007_changeapp.png

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/24/icloud-online-photos-app/

Is the iTunes store getting a redesign? I just tried searching for a song and the results came back on a page that looked much more blue than usual, now it wont load for me at all.

Edit:

Found a picture of it on Twitter, apparently it was loading the old UI for some reason.

ByZJmJLCEAAMOBW.png

RevoDS

I have a question for those of you who are on Yosemite PB3...

Since I updated, I've been having trouble getting my 5.1 speakers to work with my MBPr (late 2013) over Bluetooth. They do connect and play music for about 15 seconds, and then it cuts intermittently (about 2 secs of nothing for every second of music), even if both devices are basically next to each other.

Anyone else having BT issues on Yosemite? Could it be Handoff clogging my BT chip's capacity?

Edit:That's not it. Still got issues after disabling Handoff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When is the full release expected to come out? I've resisted jumping on the beta, but now that I've got my 6 Plus on iOS 8, I'm definitely itching to update.

When is the full release expected to come out? I've resisted jumping on the beta, but now that I've got my 6 Plus on iOS 8, I'm definitely itching to update.

Going by the same schedule as last year the GM would be out this thursday, October 2nd, although 9to5mac are saying oct 10th. Public release would be Oct 21st.

Dany

Banned
Probably the wrong thread but what photos app do you guys have? I don't have a lot of cloud storage available on drive, dropbox and i keep everything on an external.

Is it better to just pay the fee to get 1tb on one of those services and upload everything? Or is there a better replacement than iphoto?

Jobiensis

I've been using it as my primary OS, and have had no complaints for a while.

It's been my primary laptop OS since the DPs started. DP8 was fucked bad enough they did a mail update out of sync. Main problem with DP8 is some memory leaks, bad enough that forced me to be rebooting my laptop every couple of days.

jstripes

Banned
It's been my primary laptop OS since the DPs started. DP8 was fucked bad enough they did a mail update out of sync. Main problem with DP8 is some memory leaks, bad enough that forced me to be rebooting my laptop every couple of days.

Did you submit any reports?

jstripes

Banned
Nope, don't really have time lately. Since it wasn't related to my stuff, I'm not too keen to invest any of my time into it.

Well, if you're having a problem that you think makes the OS a complete mess, complaining about it does nothing if you don't submit an error report. Especially since that's part of the whole reason they have people test it.

Jobiensis

Well, if you're having a problem that you think makes the OS a complete mess, complaining about it does nothing if you don't submit an error report. Especially since that's part of the whole reason they have people test it.

This attitude is really fucking stupid.

No, the reason for developer previews is for me to test my applications, not for me to serve as Apple's QA team. Plus, me reporting a memory leak is incredibly useless unless I can document the exact case which causes the memory leak. If I don't have the time to narrow it down, I'm not going to write it up. If Apple ships an OS with a memory leak, under their tightly controlled hardware and drivers, that is on them, not me.

jstripes

Banned
This attitude is really fucking stupid.

No, the reason for developer previews is for me to test my applications, not for me to serve as Apple's QA team. Plus, me reporting a memory leak is incredibly useless unless I can document the exact case which causes the memory leak. If I don't have the time to narrow it down, I'm not going to write it up. If Apple ships an OS with a memory leak, under their tightly controlled hardware and drivers, that is on them, not me.

There's a reporting tool built into the OS that tells Apple about all your environmental variables and such. Use that tool when you see the leak, and it'll pass the details on to Apple.

And I said testing was part of the reason they put it out, not the only reason. There's countless circumstances Apple can't replicate in their labs, so they love the feedback.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No, that's exactly the reason for the previews and betas. To get as much feedback as possible and make sure apps work and nothing breaks them that shouldn't. If you see a problem and don't report it, it's on you, not them, if it doesn't get fixed because it just happens you're the only one affected by it.

Downloading PB4 now.

GWX

PB4 so far has been great. Not much changes from PB3, but it feels a little bit faster and more stable (if such statements actually mean anything). The only issue I had with PB3 was one or two Safari memory leaks, but everything else was great.

Jobiensis

There's a reporting tool built into the OS that tells Apple about all your environmental variables and such. Use that tool when you see the leak, and it'll pass the details on to Apple.

And I said testing was part of the reason they put it out, not the only reason. There's countless circumstances Apple can't replicate in their labs, so they love the feedback.

Environment variables? You really think that is going to help?

No, that's exactly the reason for the previews and betas. To get as much feedback as possible and make sure apps work and nothing breaks them that shouldn't. If you see a problem and don't report it, it's on you, not them, if it doesn't get fixed because it just happens you're the only one affected by it.

Downloading PB4 now.

Nope, I'm not paying Apple a yearly fee to beta test their software for them, I'm paying it so I can pre-test my applications, and write up any issues I'm having with their APIs or how my application works.

Yes, OSX Yosemite being a buggy mess would be completely on them. DP8 is far from bug free.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope, I'm not paying Apple a yearly fee to beta test their software for them, I'm paying it so I can pre-test my applications, and write up any issues I'm having with their APIs or how my application works.
If Bombich had that attitude, we'd never get a working Carbon Copy Cloner again. Devs have to work with Apple. Because Apple is just another dev and software is complex. Slight changes can break important things, but you don't always realize something's broken until just the right thing comes along and tries it.

jstripes

Banned
Environment variables? You really think that is going to help?
I don't know everything it tells Apple, but it tells them stuff like the system state, what's running, the state of what's running, records of errors.

If there's a leak happening, that helps them narrow it down. All you have to do is launch the tool, type "memory leak, assholes" (if you want), submit, and you're done.

Yes, OSX Yosemite being a buggy mess would be completely on them. DP8 is far from bug free.

"This bug is ruining my experience. But I'm not going to tell you what it is. Figure it out yourselves. Fuck you."

Jobiensis

If Bombich had that attitude, we'd never get a working Carbon Copy Cloner again. Devs have to work with Apple. Because Apple is just another dev and software is complex. Slight changes can break important things, but you don't always realize something's broken until just the right thing comes along and tries it.

Maybe you misunderstood me, but if my application had problems I'd certainly be talking to Apple. It doesn't though, memory leak had nothing to do with my application. I completely understand software is complex, which is why I'm not writing up an issue that is meaningless and not reproducible. I don't have time to replicate it. I'm pretty confident they will fix the issue, but it isn't the sort of thing you expect to see right before a GM. Mavericks was rock solid for me when the GM came out.

"This bug is ruining my experience. But I'm not going to tell you what it is. Figure it out yourselves. Fuck you."

Really? I guess I don't need to bother writing any reply, you obviously have your own narrative.

jstripes

Banned
Maybe you misunderstood me, but if my application had problems I'd certainly be talking to Apple. It doesn't though, memory leak had nothing to do with my application. I completely understand software is complex, which is why I'm not writing up an issue that is meaningless and not reproducible. I don't have time to replicate it. I'm pretty confident they will fix the issue, but it isn't the sort of thing you expect to see right before a GM. Mavericks was rock solid for me when the GM came out.

Dude. You've spent more effort complaining about the bug than it would have taken to report it.

Jobiensis

Holy crap, you guys are getting as bad as the Win8 defense force. It was a one off comment that the GM is out immediately after some major issues. Really think they are pushing too hard and it needs to cook another release.

It's like if there's a pothole in front of my building. Should I report it to the city, or just expect them to find it and complain about it every time I drive over it?

No, it's more like reporting to your city that they have a pot hole somewhere, but your not sure where it is. But even then it is a terrible analogy.

jstripes

Banned
Holy crap, you guys are getting as bad as the Win8 defense force. It was a one off comment that the GM is out immediately after some major issues. Really think they are pushing too hard and it needs to cook another release.

No, it's more like reporting to your city that they have a pot hole somewhere, but your not sure where it is. But even then it is a terrible analogy.

You have actually witnessed this memory leak, right? On more than one occasion, right?

That's when you report the bug, and the tool will collect info that will help them locate it, like giving GPS coordinates for a pothole.

It's not like I'm trying to justify the bugs. I'm saying Apple is trying to find bugs, and they'll do a better job at it if you report the bugs.

Jobiensis

You have actually witnessed this memory leak, right? On more than one occasion, right?

That's when you report the bug, and the tool will collect info that will help them locate it, like giving GPS coordinates for a pothole.

It's not like I'm trying to justify the bugs. I'm saying Apple is trying to find bugs, and they'll do a better job at it if you report the bugs.

A couple of times, always when I needed to get something done. Nothing of value in console or logs after the fact. Once you force boot it anything useful is lost.

They can't be serious with this boot+login time if PB4 is also the GM candidate.

My back from suspend time seems a bit long, but I am spoiled.

Top Bottom