• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

jts

...hate me...
The Mac App Store is taking the piss. I press update and it doesn't do anything, doesn't even show a download going, it only changes the update button to highlighted.

Regarding iOS 8, is there a list of apps that tap into Health? I find it weird that neither UP by Jawbone or Withings do, although they can just be waiting for iOS 8 to get its official release in order to get updated.

I don't know if it was there before, but there's now an option to show the entire URL in the address box in Safari. (Yosemite PB3)

That's smashing, I'll enable the hell out of that.

Ninja Dom

Also, Safari is fixed with GIF threads! Finally! I went a whole month not being able to visit GIF heavy threads.

I can finally laugh my ass off at the pathetic lives of infomercial people thread! Fuck yeah.

Fixed with GIF threads?

Not gonna click on your link cos I'm still on PB2 but is this the same link you posted previously? It took about 5 mins to load correctly on my iMac and was fine after loading, but during the loading, Safari was all kinds of fucked.

Zutroy

Fixed with GIF threads?

Not gonna click on your link cos I'm still on PB2 but is this the same link you posted previously? It took about 5 mins to load correctly on my iMac and was fine after loading, but during the loading, Safari was all kinds of fucked.

This new build seems to have fixed that. Huge improvement!

LCfiner

Also, Safari is fixed with GIF threads! Finally! I went a whole month not being able to visit GIF heavy threads.

I can finally laugh my ass off at the pathetic lives of infomercial people thread! Fuck yeah.

oh nice. not only does it not freeze up like on PB2, but it loads them all much faster than on Mavericks.

and one more safari bug squashed. when opening the sidebar,it no longer paints the translucency before painting the sidebar contents.

looking back at my bug reports (13 in all) they’ve addressed all of them except for the modal itunes windows (will likely never change)

I'm not noticing much new in PB3 thus far... the Spotlight bugs are still there and a lot of text still displays incorrectly when using Dark Mode. Kinda weird such obvious bugs have made it through 7 separate developer builds now...

I don't know if it was there before, but there's now an option to show the entire URL in the address box in Safari. (Yosemite PB3)

Yeah they added that in PB2. I actually like how clean the address bar looks when it doesn't show the full address. In the odd times I need to see it I don't mind just clicking the bar.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The glitch I had since Mavericks where notifications for Facebook messages wouldn't open Safari when clicked is now fixed for me. Based PB3.

jts

...hate me...
Bless this Safari snappiness.

I will never update again before knowing exactly how Safari behaves.

PB2 feels like a distant bad dream already.

ramyeon

PB3 feels a bunch more stable than 2 so far, thank god.

Still weird they haven't updated the Time Machine icon, since the icon for regular external HDDs is new. Feels a bit out of place.

Edit: Is anyone else getting this pop up at random intervals when using Yosemite?

screenshot2014-09-16azel3t.png

I've followed the prompt and downloaded the latest version of JRE several times but it keeps coming up.

jts

...hate me...
Megaton or just buggy behaviour? Pinch to zoom is not working for me anymore in Safari. Double finger double tap is.

I wouldn't be surprised but it's a shame though.

jts

...hate me...
com.apple.geod is still perpetually Not Responding.

Works for me.
Works for me as well after restarting. Sorry for jumping the gun.

This one doesn't seem like I'm doing it though: Mail.app is FUBAR'd. Unresponsive as fuck. Excellent opportunity for me to try out Mailbox, or I'll have to work on another computer.

edit:

Another issue: I'm unplugged and probably at 80-90% battery and the battery indicator says 100% and plugged :/

Thinking of rolling back to Mavericks.

Yosemite would effectively be perfect for me now if only the Finder window would remember it's position!
When I restart, it stays but when I shutdown and boot back up it's position changes and all settings reset (icon size, grid spacing, etc.)

I do everything through Spotlight (I don't even have the dock visible anymore) so it's not a big deal, but it's still pretty annoying

Deku Tree

Ok I am trying to install PB3 on a new machine, my main home machine, and I keep getting an Error 1004 over and over again. (never heard of that error before either...) The App Store will not download PB3 even thought it will download other stuff. I downloaded the PB2 to PB3 update on another computer yesterday afternoon with no problems.

cjp

So Safari is running a lot better... but now every time I do the two finger swipe backwards to go back a page, it kills all gestures on that tab.

One step forward, two steps back. Still, big improvement over PB2.

Deku Tree

Question regarding the iOS 8 GM:

I want to see notifications that I choose on my lock screen, like email, etc, but I don't want my lock screen to light up every time I get a new notification to save battery life. So I only want to see the notifications when I click on the home button.

Is there any way to set things up to do it that way?

(The last time I checked the usage settings in iOS8 the home screen was using up more than 10% of my battery life...)

Thanks!

leng jai

I am hating how the new iTunes update makes all the music videos show up in the music library. The vide preview looks terrible amongst all the cover art.

Safari seems to be running much better after PB3 though.

cjp

Do the lock screen colours seem a little washed out to anyone else on PB3?

I can't tell if that's an intentional design change or a bug.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but anyone know why ITunes Match is acting like pure garbage on every platform I have (PC, Mac, ios)? Especially on my main PC that I use to load the music onto, it just can't connect at all, ever. The Mac fares better with connecting, but it's a mini so it relies on the PC to get the songs,...

Futureman

Do the lock screen colours seem a little washed out to anyone else on PB3?

I can't tell if that's an intentional design change or a bug.

mine definitely is, I mentioned this early. It also shows the log-in in a letterbox view for some reason. Logging in still feels weird/glitchy. It's like the initial log in isn't the correct resolution or color space.

jts

...hate me...
No one else's battery indicator (with percentage) NOT updating in PB3?

Only updates in the lock screen for me. I can force it to update if I cycle the "show percentage" option.

MoodyFog

I can't send mails anymore in the Mail app on my Gmail account, the problems began after the last Mavericks update..

Did that happen to anyone else?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well that is interesting. It seems you can close tabs on other devices AND Macs now from Safari on any other device. On iOS you slide to delete. On OS X click the (x). And as soon as iCloud resyncs (It's not instant like Handoff is sadly. It sometimes takes up to a minute.) the tab(s) will close.

Could be useful sometimes I guess. Especially for closing tabs on iOS devices when you don't have the device right now or don't feel like unlocking it just to close them. You could bring a tab over and then close it from the original device so it's not still cluttering up your tabs or whatever.

Handoff doesn't work for me anymore, I don't think it has since PB3.
IS it one of those things that's delayed like iCloud Drive, SMS Relay, etc or should it be functional right now?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Handoff doesn't work for me anymore, I don't think it has since PB3.
IS it one of those things that's delayed like iCloud Drive, SMS Relay, etc or should it be functional right now?

With the Developer Beta and iOS 8 GM Handoff has been working better than ever for me.
Yeah. Handoff started working for me a few hours after I put iOS 8 GM on my phone and has worked perfectly between my devices ever since. It's 100% instant unlike iCloud Tabs which really needs some sort of boost in the speed syncing department. (Though it is sometimes much faster than Google Chrome Sync ever was.)

Then again, last I checked, SMS on Mac was working for me too. But that's harder for me to test out because I literally only know one person whose number I have that doesn't have an iPhone.

The one thing I haven't been able to get to work yet, but only tested once, was answering phone calls on my computer. I never get a call so I tried to call from our house phone and it didn't work. I'll have to test it with my dads iPhone. I also couldn't get outgoing to show up either. Is there something else I need to do to make this work? I'm really sad I can't right now. I really wanted to play around with it.

RoKKeR

So I opened up my '14 MBPr 13" today to find a little circular crack/dent/scuff RIGHT in the middle of the screen. It's pretty small but holy shit it is so annoying. Right in the middle essentially and every time the stuff on screen isn't grey it really sticks out.

This thing is hardly a month old, what's there to do about this? Anything?

I'm still annoyed that it happened in the first place. I closed it last night, put it in my backpack/case, opened it up today and bam there it was. UGH. Thoughts?

So I opened up my '14 MBPr 13" today to find a little circular crack/dent/scuff RIGHT in the middle of the screen. It's pretty small but holy shit it is so annoying. Right in the middle essentially and every time the stuff on screen isn't grey it really sticks out.

This thing is hardly a month old, what's there to do about this? Anything?

I'm still annoyed that it happened in the first place. I closed it last night, put it in my backpack/case, opened it up today and bam there it was. UGH. Thoughts?

I'm assuming you don't have applecare, as otherwise you could just take it in for a repair, right?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just confirmed that call answering on my Mac is not working right now. I don't know why. Kind of disappointed. Maybe it won't be available until final build? Though I thought some people were getting it to work now? Or am I mistaken?

RevoDS

Just confirmed that call answering on my Mac is not working right now. I don't know why. Kind of disappointed. Maybe it won't be available until final build? Though I thought some people were getting it to work now? Or am I mistaken?

It's working for me, but some people have had to disable the feature and enable it again on both the Mac and iPhone (the option is in FaceTime settings on both platforms), then reboot both devices. It should work properly after that.

That fixed it between my mom's iPad and iPhone, but I'm not sure if it'll fix it for OS X

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's working for me, but some people have had to disable the feature and enable it again on both the Mac and iPhone (the option is in FaceTime settings on both platforms), then reboot both devices. It should work properly after that.

That fixed it between my mom's iPad and iPhone, but I'm not sure if it'll fix it for OS X
I didn't know the setting was related to FaceTime. I mean why would you? Either way, it appeared I needed to log into FaceTime on my Mac for some reason. I'm getting the icon showing up now.

It appears to be working now. But I can't test audio right now. So I'll try it later. I never would have thought to look in FaceTime. I never use FaceTime except at Christmas.

wait, is it still possible for me to install the Yosemite public beta? or have all of the codes been redeemed? if so then I fucked up by waiting so long lol

Deku Tree

Is there anyway to get the bookmarks bar back in Yosemite PB3? I miss it. And I have a 27 inch screen on both computers that I use regularly, so I'm not worried about screen real estate.

Why can't they do something like iOS 8, where it disappears when you're not using it and it reappears when you want to use it....

cjp

Is there anyway to get the bookmarks bar back in Yosemite PB3? I miss it. And I have a 27 inch screen on both computers that I use regularly, so I'm not worried about screen real estate.

Why can't they do something like iOS 8, where it disappears when you're not using it and it reappears when you want to use it....

View > Show Favourites Bar?

Futureman

I guess I don't really use any Apple apps that take advantage of continuity.

I can already text in a browser with Google Voice and make calls through GMail. Emails I start in GMail are already saved as drafts on my computer, so I guess I've always had continuity.

Futureman

how to SUPPRESS the demon that is Image Capture from popping up when I insert my phone or camera's memory card? Image Capture doesn't seem to have preferences....

ramyeon

There should be a button in the bottom left corner for that.

Plug in the device and open Image Capture. The settings are in the bottom corner.
There definitely isn't a settings button on mine (I've seen shots of where it should be, but it's not there for me), I've been trying to work out how to disable it for ages.

Edit: Finally got it, had to unplug and replug my phone in a few times to get it to show up in the device list (It normally won't the first try) and then the settings button appeared. Finally!

Top Bottom