• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

GQman2121

Banned
What's the purpose of the intros? I assumed in the demo they were cut short, but it looks like that's actually how they've been implemented in the game. People love intros in these games, so I don't understand why they would even waste their time if they're not going to do them proper.

RBH said:
Gameplay footage of the PSP version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okuA5emP1oA

Maybe it's just the video, but it looks like it's running a lot slower than the consoles.

kunonabi

Most wrestling matches don't end in a ko. I don't mind the occasional critical like Fire Pro but initial reports of only winning matches by draining health completely and knocking them out just didn't sit well with me. I'll give the game a rental for sure now.

They should let the All Stars guys take a crack at smackdown.

Totally NarNar said:
I wonder, are wrestling games as popular today as they used to be? I can't imagine they would be.
no because wrestling game popularity has almost always been in direct correlation to the actual product on TV.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
snackman said:
If we get smackdown2012 its going to be bare bones cause of all the crap going around Tokyo and power outages there.
I don't even know where to start with that statement!

kunonabi said:
Most wrestling matches don't end in a ko. I don't mind the occasional critical like Fire Pro but initial reports of only winning matches by draining health completely and knocking them out just didn't sit well with me. I'll give the game a rental for sure now.

this is more of a fighting game wrestling game, a mash up of the two genres, its a bit slower than a fighter, but much faster and more arcade-like than a sim wrestlers, WWF: The Arcade Game is a more closer relation to it, than say street fighter, or AKI Games, its fun for what it is though.

RBH

Totally NarNar said:
I wonder, are wrestling games as popular today as they used to be? I can't imagine they would be.
Nope. That's due to a combination of decreasing interest in pro wrestling in general and decreasing quality of the wrestling games that have been on the market over the past 5 or so years.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 experienced a 35% decrease in overall shipments in comparison to 2010.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I want them to make a wrestling game where they acknowledge that wrestling is scripted and have you start a character that starts wrestling in bars and gyms than works up to indy wrestling then WWE. And you are given the results before hand and have to put on entertaining matches. There could also be backstage drama and other elements of interaction within the business. This will never happen however :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
BigBlackGamer said:
They should let the All Stars guys take a crack at smackdown.

Remember the stuff that used to be in Smackdown about 5 years ago? Jumping off the Smackdown fist, hanging off the rope ladder of a helicopter, etc? Put that stuff in backstage areas in WWE All-Stars.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
kunonabi said:
Pinning is easier than a KO in this game but both are possible, depending on the length and severity of an ass kicking.

Basically, Madden : NFL Blitz :: WCW vs NWO : WWE All Stars

Spider from Mars said:
I want them to make a wrestling game where they acknowledge that wrestling is scripted and have you start a character that starts wrestling in bars and gyms than works up to indy wrestling then WWE. And you are given the results before hand and have to put on entertaining matches. There could also be backstage drama and other elements of interaction within the business. This will never happen however :(
The opening scene can be your character as a child meeting his favourite wrestler only to be told to shove off and said wrestler then goes off to drink a beer with a heel thus shattering the illusion of wrestling.
As far as backstage drama goes, you have a match against Orton, a botch will lead to a huge depush or even release! (and maybe even a turd in your gym bag)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How big is the demo dl (ps3 or 360) and what's in it?

Also, do we know anything about the Wii version? Beside the obvious graphical difference (does it look better than the ps2 port?) does it play the same/has everything in it and is it even made by the same devs?

No idea, anybody?

Dash Kappei said:
No idea, anybody?
The demo is about 800 mb. It's one on one and the two characters you can select are the warrior and Rey.

The wii graphics are on the web, it just looks like a lower quality version of the hd games (obviously). Gameplay is exacty the same.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nice thanks. If animations are on par with the HD version I could go for it as soon as it drops to £17 (probably a month/month and a half from launch) since I've got more friends to play it there. I'd probably buy the PS3 or 360 version later.
Anyway, 800MB for 2 characters and a stage seems kinda bloated dl size, damn my bandwith cap :/

Messi

Purexed said:
Alright fellas, I've been playing WWE All Stars on PS3 for a couple of days as one of my spots got an early drop.

I haven't seriously played a WWE game since the early Smackdown games, none of the recent stuff had impressed me much. I dabbled a lil bit in Legends of Wrestlemania due to the nostalgia factor, but it had all kinds of issues with it's Fischer Price gameplay.

Overall, I'm having a freaking ball so far. The characters are so detailed and over-the-top, and the fludity of the combat system is outstanding. The computer puts up a nice challenge, and you'll have to quickly get acquainted with the reversal system and chained combos to have sustained success. I feel like I'm discovering new moves and combos on each match.

I played through the Undertaker's "Path to Championship" storyline with the Macho Man, and the voicework from Paul Bearer and the Undertaker is superb. Each of the 9 matches heading into Summer Slam mix up the different match types, and THQ San Diego did some slick things to make the match gimmicks feel great. In 3 or 4 player matches, a flick of the right stick toggles between targeted fighters and it's nice to finish laying down a slam, flick to the next opponent, and continue kicking ass.

Steel cage matches have the best mechanics I've seen in a wrestling game. Not only do you have to beat down your opponents enough before you can climb out, there's a cool timing mini-game (think Madden kickoff meter) at the top of the cage where you have to nail it 5 times before you can get out. I was trying to exit on one side while Hulk was attempting the same on the other side, and it was epic trying to beat him out the cage.

One of the concerns I had from the demo was that the old school fighters only got one signature move like the Ultimate Warrior had. Macho Man appeared to only have one as well, but I discovered he can also do signature moves from the top rope and on a downed opponent that was blinking red and gray. I'm looking forward to experimenting more. I unlocked Macho Man's alternative costume from beating path to champion mode, and it's WAAAAY better than the crummy default orange trunks they gave him. Looks like I'll be going through the mode several times to get all the gear.

The fantasy warfare stuff is amazing too. I tried not to watch any media on the game prior to getting this, but it's great being able to pick and choose which era you want to represent. I don't even know some of these newer cats like Sheamus and Kofi Kingston, but it's great getting to know them through the montages.

I think THQ really has something on its hands here. Hopefully next year, they can include more match types and some additional legends I grew up loving like Rick Martel, Rick Rude, Demolition and Yokozuna to name a few.

Let me know if you have any questions.

YES! All of this! You are going to kill me with these impressions.

Anyone know what HHH, Edge and The Rock's alts are? I seen a regular and dx version of hhh ,with the dx on his crotch, seems like a lazy alt considering shawns is old school mullet hbk. Id love a newer rock. bald heel rock or from when he was a heel with vince.

I'd pay for gimmick alts. seriously. I am a whore for this stuff.

Who would not want proper tights wearing HBK? Or Edge and Christian styled Edge.

Chrange

Banned
Spider from Mars said:

I'd love to have some kind of a booking mode where I can, for example, decide a match is going to be a squash (one wrestler can't gain a finisher or possibly execute power moves, the other has it constantly filling up again) or I can set who's going to run in and exactly when - via conditions like pinfall attempt, hitting a certain amount of stamina/health left, etc...

YoungHav said:
why are there air juggles in this game?

why did Ultimate Warrior just Dragon Punch me?

fuck this, not buying.

I'm loving the demo the more I play it. Can't wait to play the final game!

YoungHav said:

fuck this, not buying.

Because it's an arcade style wrestling game that's meant to remind people of stuff like Wrestlemania the Arcade (although not as over the top).

DoctorWho said:
I'm loving the demo the more I play it. Can't wait to play the final game!

I can't wait for tomorrow! Not sure what some people were expecting.

Also, can we go ahead and just make this the OT? The OP is pretty solid.

Kingpen

I think I scrounged up enough trade bait to pick this up. I had no intention to, and have not tried the demo, but have seen enough vids and impressions to see that it is something that is worth a look.

To me, it looks like LOW, but with a slightly more polished video hype up package, better graphics, much better gameplay.

I loved the def jam games (Def Jam FFNY is probably my favorite game of last gen), and this gives me a vibe of that.

Penguin

This is a minor complaint, but its been.. well a long time!

Why is CM Punk a face in this game and still has hair? He's been bald since like June

vixlar

YoungHav said:

fuck this, not buying.

Do you know what I hate? NBA Jam!!!

Why LeBron James jumps 4 meters?

Why the basket turn on fire?

Why the ball doesn't go out of the court?

Penguin said:

Why is CM Punk a face in this game and still has hair? He's been bald since like June

They have different costumes/appearances in the game.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
When are we going to see reviews for this? Tonight? Also, I see a lot of 6.5-7.5 in it's future since it appears to be somewhat shallow in content.

Afrikan

I liked this demo, and it seemed to get funner the more I played it....looking forward to using more wrestlers..but I don't know if I like the roster.

but this game made me think back to WWE Legends of WrestleMania game that came out a few years back...I didn't get a chance to buy it, but I might get it for nostalgic reasons...also it would be a version that is not arcadish to All Stars extent.

so did any hardcore WWF fans enjoy Legends of WrestleMania??

edit- also is there one huge save file that has tons of WWF recreated wrestlers that the community worked on or something? for LOW?

JdFoX187

Banned
Penguin said:

He's not bald. He's growing his hair back...slowly :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:

edit- also is there one huge save file that has tons of WWF recreated wrestlers that the community worked on or something? for LOW?

Yes, I enjoyed Legends of Wrestlemania. There is no huge save file I'm aware of, but if you have an SvR 2008 (or was it 09) save on your hard drive, it imports ALL those wrestlers over too.

Afrikan said:
I liked this demo, and it seemed to get funner the more I played it....looking forward to using more wrestlers..but I don't know if I like the roster.

but this game made me think back to WWE Legends of WrestleMania game that came out a few years back...I didn't get a chance to buy it, but I might get it for nostalgic reasons...also it would be a version that is not arcadish to All Stars extent.

I actually really enjoyed it. The roster was pretty good, and the game play was like Smackdown, only a little more 'arcadey'.

I really enjoyed the Relive portion of the game, where you would recreate classic Wrestlemania matches. The fun part was that each match allowed you to recreate classic moments of each match, for example Bret's ring post figure four at WM13. I also liked the taunt system where you used a portion of your momentum to do a taunt, and that taunt would give you a special advantage (like health regen, or 50% more momentum per move).

The move sets were a little limited (which is okay considering some of the roster) and the finished system sucked. The finishers were basically quick time events, where you would do 'three moves of doom'. They sucked because the button prompts were so fast, you would often screw them up and lose your finisher.

If you can find it for under $20, it is worth it just for the Relive portion of the game. I also enjoyed it more than any Smackdown game this gen.

Kingpen

I enjoyed LOW as well at the time, but the gameplay engine was simply not as 'fun' as this one in all-stars...

I'm talking about the grapple mechanic and the counter system (not the exaggerated moves)

LOW has a better roster for the 80's legends, and you can do exhibition title matches, but thats about all it really has. You could say that it has traditional tag matches (which all-stars lacks), but really it doesn't because it pull some kind of weird forced 'tag team finisher' glitch that does not allow you to do your normal finishing move since those moves are chain based quick time events.

I think it may have ladder matches as well, but they are not that great.

The best things about LOW at the time were the video montages (of which all-stars has better, fleshed out ones) and the fact the roster was all legends. All-stars has most of the more popular legends in it, and they all play differently.

I'm thinking if your having fun in all-stars demo, your not going to want to go toward LOW...

Afrikan

Kingpen said:
I'm thinking if your having fun in all-stars demo, your not going to want to go toward LOW...

well I enjoy the All-stars demo for different reasons...which is why I'm still interested in getting it. At first I was like, "WTF have they done"...but I kept coming back for more to pull off counters and compile different moves.

back in the days I had different wrestling games for different reasons....like I owned WWF Arcade & In The House.....but I also owned WCW vs The World.

so its not a one or the other thing for me. :)

Kingpen

Afrikan said:
well I enjoy the All-stars demo for different reasons...which is why I'm still interested in getting it. At first I was like, "WTF have they done"...but I kept coming back for more to pull off counters and compile different moves.

back in the days I had different wrestling games for different reasons....like I owned WWF Arcade & In The House.....but I also owned WCW vs The World.

so its not a one or the other thing for me. :)

I hear ya... I really liked LOW and kept it in my collection for a really long time because I thought with its roster, that it would be the one wrestling game I could come and have fun with. I eventually traded it in though. The relive parts of it are cool to experience. Part of the appeal of LOW was having fun with some of the legends that had not been in wrestling games for a long time, such as Big Boss Man, Ultimate Warrior. I traded it in because some of that 'legends' appeal was not exclusive to that one game anymore.

My ultimate favorite wrestling games are the AKI ones, and I especially adore Def Jam FFNY (even if it is streetfighting focused). I'm really hoping this new all-stars can combine a great roster, with some of the fun of those old AKI games. The best parts of the AKI games were the momentum shifts in them, causing frantic, fun gameplay.

Top Bottom