• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As we played the Demo, my brother and I were constantly "ooooh!" 'n over many of the moves. The slowdown on heavy hits, the farily nice sound effects, the efficiency and technicality of some of the moves, the height and utter ridiculousness of much of the throws, vaults, and flips... I think it's manner of impact totally works for a wrestling game.

Compare it to a Japanese Fighting game, and yeah, it's a bit lacking. I kinda like that though; it kinda makes it seem like they're selling the fights more through showmanship, rather than actual, real violence.

I like the "It's like the Saturday Night Slam Masters of 2011" comment from a few pages back; It really feels like a game made to take quaters, and to wow you "in the moment", not trying to be too pretentious or anything of that modern sort.

I have 2 SvR games for 360 myself, and I've barely been drawn to really play either of them, sadly. Every time I look at the CAW movelist in these games, I wonder "when do you SEE half of these things?!?". They just seem so excessive and convolutely complex. (Ironically, I don't mind this at all in Firepro Returns, heh.) And then the actual superstars... having not payed much attention to wrestling in years, I really have very little concern about forcing ANY of them through some oddball campaign modes, lol.

It all makes this game a bit too perfect for me. I love seeing all these names from times past fighting against the newer people... from times past... that I actually kinda cared about. Then the really new ones... I'm even interested in learning some about them, in this games context.

Then the movesets... I was suprised to find more and more variety as I ran through another round or U.Warrior VS Rey. Not only special grapples, but also special dives and running moves, from people whom I wouldn't expect such skills from (I figured they'd leave such things to the acrobats only), was a nice suprise. The smaller movelist encourages actually learning the timing of the moves for counters, rather than just mashing, and shifting grapple position with R-stick feels pretty great. I guess I like it specifically because it feels as fluid and swift as swapping from front to back in an old 2D wrestler, or even Streets of Rage 2, for that matter. Going for Juggle grapples also appeals to how much I loved doing such in DoA2/U/4 (and to a lesser extent, Tekken series)... so the game hits a lot of odd points for me that I'd have never expected such a game to.

Lastly, this game also seems to make each wrestler sound genuinely interesting and unique to play, just like a good fighter. I've... rarely ever felt that in a normal wrestling game. They normally just feel like skins for the same 2 or 3 types, and that really takes a lot of the fun of playing out of the games to me.

But all the unique combo strings, differences between charge attacks and charge throws per class, chain throws, even vareity in superstar finsher startups, just makes the characters seem much more unique than your average wrestling game character types. Have I just bee lulled by the marketing and videos, or is this apparent to anyone else as well?

DoubleTap

^^^Well said. I wasn't really into proper wrestling games but I've always had a soft spot for games like Saturday Night Slam Masters, 3 Count Bout, NES Pro Wrestling, King of the Monsters 1/2, I feel this game added the "sophistication" that those arcade brawlers needed to bring the genre into modern gaming.

DrDogg

canadian crowe said:
Can somebody clear up the reversal situation for me? What is the difference between pushing r1 or l1 to reverse? They both seem to work but r1 is never prompted.

There are reversals and counters. A counter is what occurs when you press L1/R1 during the grabbing animation of a grapple (L1), or the any strike (R1). A reversal is what the opponent can do after you counter, or what occurs in the middle of a grapple.

There are two different types of counters (strike and grapple), which is where the L1/R1 differences come into play. You cannot "counter" the initial grab animation with R1, just like you cannot "counter" a strike with L1. But you can perform a "reversal" with either button.

[shameless plug]

This, as well as even more important information can be found in the official strategy guide.

[/shameless plug]

SAB CA said:
Lastly, this game also seems to make each wrestler sound genuinely interesting and unique to play, just like a good fighter. I've... rarely ever felt that in a normal wrestling game. They normally just feel like skins for the same 2 or 3 types, and that really takes a lot of the fun of playing out of the games to me.

But all the unique combo strings, differences between charge attacks and charge throws per class, chain throws, even vareity in superstar finsher startups, just makes the characters seem much more unique than your average wrestling game character types. Have I just bee lulled by the marketing and videos, or is this apparent to anyone else as well?

I get what you mean, and this is a HUGE...HUGE problem with Smackdown vs. Raw. They have no wrestler styles or true weights classes which makes everyone feel the same. Everyone does the same reversals, everyone fights the same way, there are no true pros and cons when picking different weights, etc. etc. I've been complaining about this, and have voiced my opinion to the THQ community managers (who have responded btw) many times in the last 2 years. No Mercy did this WAY better, and that was 10 years ago. They had a weight system, reversal styles, fighting stances, and enough moves to make wrestlers truly unique.

There also aren't any behavioral systems in place so that wrestlers act how they're supposed to act. Swagger doesn't go for submissions, CM Punk doesn't go for strikes, Rey isn't running everywhere, Bourne isn't jumping off of everything, etc. etc.

Really though, this is a different argument for a different thread. I stop here.

Net_Wrecker said:
I get what you mean, and this is a HUGE...HUGE problem with Smackdown vs. Raw. They have no wrestler styles or true weights classes which makes everyone feel the same. Everyone does the same reversals, everyone fights the same way, there are no true pros and cons when picking different weights, etc. etc. I've been complaining about this, and have voiced my opinion to the THQ community managers (who have responded btw) many times in the last 2 years. No Mercy did this WAY better, and that was 10 years ago. They had a weight system, reversal styles, fighting stances, and enough moves to make wrestlers truly unique.

There also aren't any behavioral systems in place so that wrestlers act how they're supposed to act. Swagger doesn't go for submissions, CM Punk doesn't go for strikes, Rey isn't running everywhere, Bourne isn't jumping off of everything, etc. etc.

Really though, this is a different argument for a different thread. I stop here.
That's why HCTP was the best WWE game yet. It had almost all of those things. I always remember Benoit doing a taunt before his headbutt, and The Hurricane's special grapples. I think going multiplatform really messed with the dev schedule.

mxgt

Banned
I haven't watched or been into wrestling for since I think 2001 but my brother was over this afternoon and we saw the demo on the PS store and said what the hell.

Had a great time with it, such a laugh, love the arcade OTT style.

Played the full version at Best Buy tonight, out of the box the whole roster isn't unlocked. Tried out Rock vs Cena, and holy crap did the AI destroy me compared to the demo. I didn't check to see if someone ramped up the difficulty. Overall pretty pleased with the full thing (tried 2v2 as well) and can't wait for Tuesday.

VerTiGo

Banned
Yeah, I was debating on getting Mortal Kombat and just looking into this casually. The demo just sold me. Mortal Kombat is now put on the backburner till I burn out on this. SSFIV ain't going anywhere.

While I'm a hardcore Street Fighter IV player, my friends and I play SSFIV all the time when we hang out but I think this will easily cater to the same crowd.

Pissed at the lack of Razor Ramon and Diesel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This looks like the WCW/WWF N64 games from THQ. Those were super fun with 4 players.

The character models in this game look like ass though. I know its supposed to be exaggerated but ugh...those torsos.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Net_Wrecker said:

-nod- Good to hear it's not just me, haha. And from someone who pays much more attention to the specific games, to boot.

That kinda detail really does bring a lot to a game. Watching the match from Pastapadre above, seeing some character counter (I think it was counter?) blows by poking their opponents in the eyes, rather than the simple strikeback, was pretty cool. And Watching Bret Hart chaining together holds and throws, while Miz acted like an oddball, and Randy O. posed off in corners, building meter... I'm suprised I just watched 9 min of someone else playing a Wrestling game, lol. And actually enjoyed it!

henhowc said:
This looks like the WCW/WWF N64 games from THQ. Those were super fun with 4 players.

The character models in this game look like ass though. I know its supposed to be exaggerated but ugh...those torsos.

It looks odd on some of the big guys, but overall... I think it's about the best to be expected with comic-book-ifying real people. Ultimately, I like it, and thing it legitimizes a lot of what the gameplay is going for. They look like realistic-ish charicatures. Kinda Reminds me of seeing Sgt. Slaughter on the G.I. Joe Cartoons... a bit strange, but it works after you get used to it.

RBH

Dexa said:
cant find the demo on eu psn - where is it? :(
Which country are you located in?

Should be available everywhere in Europe except for Germany.

Maybe try using the search function in the Playstation Store.

markatisu

Played the demo last night, its probably the first wrestling game since the N64 glory days that got me excited to play (sans Fire Pro) just for the exaggerated moves and cartoonish look.

I do wish though they had worked a bit more on the models, Ray being almost the same size as Warrior was beyond ridiculous. Even bulked up they should have made Ray shorter.

I love the ring entrances though and the finishers are completely over the top insane. Reminds me of when you used to super excited when they would start their signature move (Warrior doing the bench press, Hogan doing the finger point, HBK doing the foot stomp, etc).

Still debating whether to get it at release or just wait for it to drop in price

Frankfurt

Banned
SAB CA said:
Ultimately, I like it, and thing it legitimizes a lot of what the gameplay is going for. They look like realistic-ish charicatures. Kinda Reminds me of seeing Sgt. Slaughter on the G.I. Joe Cartoons... a bit strange, but it works after you get used to it.

Exactly.

Frankly, those are my favorite character 3D models in any wrestling or fighting game. I'll take those bulky, shiny charicatures over the pseudo-realism of the likes of Tekken and Soul Calibur any day. It's already bad enough we've moved from 2D...

RBH

Kmart-Logo.gif

Buy WWE All Stars at Kmart and receive:

1.) $10 gaming coupon
AND
2.) $15 coupon that can be used for any WWE merchandise purchase of more than $40 at Kmart, including WWE DVDs, action figures, apparel, etc.

Just re-posting this for anyone interested.

Disappointed that pretty much nobody else is offering any deals.

JdFoX187

Banned
Hmm...if I didn't have a bunch of Amazon credit to cash in, I think I'd jump on that. But there might be a reason K-Mart is the only one doing anything. WWE recently signed an exclusive marketing deal with them. So they'll probably get all of the great deals from WWE. I was still hoping Amazon would have a $10 credit. Think Wal-Mart does too.

Fatalah

RBH said:
Kmart-Logo.gif

Buy WWE All Stars at Kmart and receive:

1.) $10 gaming coupon
AND
2.) $15 coupon that can be used for any WWE merchandise purchase of more than $40 at Kmart, including WWE DVDs, action figures, apparel, etc.

Just re-posting this for anyone interested.

Disappointed that pretty much nobody else is offering any deals.
That is a crazy good promotion. The positive feedback from the gaming community coupled with strong sales means this might turn into a franchise!

JdFoX187

Banned
Fatalah said:
That is a crazy good promotion. The positive feedback from the gaming community coupled with strong sales means this might turn into a franchise!
THQ would be smart to give these guys the Smackdown franchise. Even though this is over-the-top, there are a lot of great ideas that could be implemented in a more traditional wrestling game, similar to their TNA iMPACT.

Fatalah said:
I'll be reall interested to see how this does. Smackdown has been selling less and less each year, and I wonder if the positive hype will help sales. Neogaf is a small community, but this thread is already longer than the Smackdown threads.

snackman

Banned
I pulled out my old gc for a few days wish I didn't sell DOR2 lol looking at some of the vids I think it might look better than smackdown2011 lol which is sad.

DMczaf

JdFoX187 said:
THQ would be smart to give these guys the Smackdown franchise. Even though this is over-the-top, there are a lot of great ideas that could be implemented in a more traditional wrestling game, similar to their TNA iMPACT.

Yukes will never get the "simulation" game taken away because it's cheaper to just let them shit out crap year after year than it is to give it to someone else.

I was pleasantly surprised by this demo. I love the animation blending, and the controls. It just controls and looks like a polished product compared to....uh....every Yukes game ever made.

I probably won't buy it at launch due to being too busy to justify buying a $60 WWE game right now, but if I catch it on sale this summer I'll pick it up.

DMczaf said:
Yukes will never get the "simulation" game taken away because it's cheaper to just let them shit out crap year after year than it is to give it to someone else.

I was pleasantly surprised by this demo. I love the animation blending, and the controls. It just controls and looks like a polished product compared to....uh....every Yukes game ever made.

I probably won't buy it at launch due to being too busy to justify buying a $60 WWE game right now, but if I catch it on sale this summer I'll pick it up.
The problem is that Yukes has no 'off season', so if they want to change engines they have to do buys and pieces during every game. I think 2012 will be a HCTP style reinvention though. I remember them hinting that 2011 is the swan song for the engine.

JdFoX187

Banned
canadian crowe said:
The problem is that Yukes has no 'off season', so if they want to change engines they have to do buys and pieces during every game. I think 2012 will be a HCTP style reinvention though. I remember them hinting that 2011 is the swan song for the engine.
Would be nice. As I've said in the past, I don't really have a problem with the SvR series, aside from the obvious glitches and glaring mistakes like the exploitable moves that are always brought back each year. But the former Midway San Diego guys have really shown how you can make a quality wrestling game in this day and age.

I wish there was some sort of combination of the two styles for a new SvR game. Keep the analog grappling system like in SvR. But tweak it to allow strong and quick grapples like this game. And I don't mean shit like they have in '11 where you just knock a guy silly and then perform a powerbomb six seconds into a match. You should have to work to get those more powerful moves.

As someone else said, make the wrestlers behave more like themselves. Part of that has to do with the A.I. not being borderline retarded or godly intelligent with telepathic reversals. Make guys like Mysterio, Bourne, (hopefully) Sin Cara and others fly around the ring and do those exciting moves. But make it so that guys like Big Show don't climb to the top rope and do moonsaults and shit.

But the one thing I love about All Stars, and subsequently TNA iMPACT, is the reversing system. I hate, HATE how there's only a few canned animations in SvR for reversals. These guys have shown how to do them properly. I love the connecting and flowing animations of reversals in this game. The options were somewhat limited in iMPACT, but they were short on time. All Stars shows if you give them a large enough budget, and enough time, they can really put out something special.

I just hope THQ allows them to build on this foundation and Yukes takes some of the ideas and implements them in SvR with a new engine.

bumpkin

DMczaf said:

Agreed on all points about the demo. This game honestly wasn't even on my radar's radar, and I haven't bought a WWE game since No Mercy on the N64; and that's because I haven't liked any. I also more or less stopped watching wrestling 7 or 8 years ago.

But this demo... Unreal. It takes me back to a warm fuzzy place somewhere between No Mercy and the SNES games (RAW and Royal Rumble). A touch I liked is the crowd going "oh!" in unison when you block and counter punch with an animation that tickles my nostalgia. The ability to easily transition from a standing offense to a running attack is also cool.

While the 3DS has my wallet begging for mercy -- pun intended -- this week, All Stars is very much on my gotta-have-it list.

D/L the demo and just played a quick couple of matches. So far it's just okay for me. My biggest gripe is that there just doesn't seem to be enough weight or "oomph" behind the attacks and grapples. The animations are smooth and seamless, but it still makes it hard to tell if you are attacking or if your grapple was succesful. Also makes it hard to tell if you should block or reverse because it doesn't easily differentiate between a melee attack or a grapple attempt. I'll have to play more (or rent the full product) but as of now i'm not so sure it's better than Legends of Wrestlemania. If I do end up buying All Stars, it'll probably be once it drops to $20-30 like I did with LoW.

Also, they were WAY too generous with Hogan's hairline.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ninja Scooter said:
D/L the demo and just played a quick couple of matches. So far it's just okay for me. My biggest gripe is that there just doesn't seem to be enough weight or "oomph" behind the attacks and grapples. The animations are smooth and seamless, but it still makes it hard to tell if you are attacking or if your grapple was succesful. Also makes it hard to tell if you should block or reverse because it doesn't easily differentiate between a melee attack or a grapple attempt. I'll have to play more (or rent the full product) but as of now i'm not so sure it's better than Legends of Wrestlemania. If I do end up buying All Stars, it'll probably be once it drops to $20-30 like I did with LoW.

Really?

Mr Jared

Ninja Scooter said:

This. It's like.. actually on his head. Even in his prime he just sort of had a hair curtain around the back of his skull.

GQman2121

Banned
I played the demo this afternoon and was not impressed with what they're trying to do. The system seems deep enough I guess, but there's just nothing hooking me. The demo showed me all I needed to see.

RBH

Toys_R_Us_logo.gif

Buy WWE All Stars (or any WWE merchandise purchase of $40 or more), and get $10 towards the WrestleMania 27 pay-per-view on April 3rd.

Purexed

Banned
Alright fellas, I've been playing WWE All Stars on PS3 for a couple of days as one of my spots got an early drop.

I haven't seriously played a WWE game since the early Smackdown games, none of the recent stuff had impressed me much. I dabbled a lil bit in Legends of Wrestlemania due to the nostalgia factor, but it had all kinds of issues with it's Fischer Price gameplay.

Overall, I'm having a freaking ball so far. The characters are so detailed and over-the-top, and the fludity of the combat system is outstanding. The computer puts up a nice challenge, and you'll have to quickly get acquainted with the reversal system and chained combos to have sustained success. I feel like I'm discovering new moves and combos on each match.

I played through the Undertaker's "Path to Championship" storyline with the Macho Man, and the voicework from Paul Bearer and the Undertaker is superb. Each of the 9 matches heading into Summer Slam mix up the different match types, and THQ San Diego did some slick things to make the match gimmicks feel great. In 3 or 4 player matches, a flick of the right stick toggles between targeted fighters and it's nice to finish laying down a slam, flick to the next opponent, and continue kicking ass.

Steel cage matches have the best mechanics I've seen in a wrestling game. Not only do you have to beat down your opponents enough before you can climb out, there's a cool timing mini-game (think Madden kickoff meter) at the top of the cage where you have to nail it 5 times before you can get out. I was trying to exit on one side while Hulk was attempting the same on the other side, and it was epic trying to beat him out the cage.

One of the concerns I had from the demo was that the old school fighters only got one signature move like the Ultimate Warrior had. Macho Man appeared to only have one as well, but I discovered he can also do signature moves from the top rope and on a downed opponent that was blinking red and gray. I'm looking forward to experimenting more. I unlocked Macho Man's alternative costume from beating path to champion mode, and it's WAAAAY better than the crummy default orange trunks they gave him. Looks like I'll be going through the mode several times to get all the gear.

The fantasy warfare stuff is amazing too. I tried not to watch any media on the game prior to getting this, but it's great being able to pick and choose which era you want to represent. I don't even know some of these newer cats like Sheamus and Kofi Kingston, but it's great getting to know them through the montages.

I think THQ really has something on its hands here. Hopefully next year, they can include more match types and some additional legends I grew up loving like Rick Martel, Rick Rude, Demolition and Yokozuna to name a few.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Purexed said:
One of the concerns I had from the demo was that the old school fighters only got one signature move like the Ultimate Warrior had. Macho Man appeared to only have one as well, but I discovered he can also do signature moves from the top rope and on a downed opponent that was blinking red and gray. I'm looking forward to experimenting more. I unlocked Macho Man's alternative costume from beating path to champion mode, and it's WAAAAY better than the crummy default orange trunks they gave him. Looks like I'll be going through the mode several times to get all the gear.
Thanks for the impresions. Ultimate Warrior actually has four signature moves. Two of them have to be done on the turnbuckle, one is the two hand choke and the last one has to be done while running towards your opponent.

Purexed

Banned
johnny_park said:
Thanks for the impresions. Ultimate Warrior actually has four signature moves. Two of them have to be done on the turnbuckle, one is the two hand choke and the last one has to be done while running towards your opponent.

Thanks for the tip. It's so much funner playing with a high flyer though, nearly everything can be chained it seems!

XiaNaphryz said:
Indeed! After hearing your impressions I'll likely also wait. LoW fulfills my nostalgia need.

Don't listen to that guy. He's super wrong.

Anyway, I just thought I'd point this out, Ultimate Warrior does have two signature moves, but you can only do his other one when running.

XiaNaphryz said:
Indeed! After hearing your impressions I'll likely also wait. LoW fulfills my nostalgia need.

in fairness to AllStars, it does seem like a fairly deeper game, so it might be a lot more to it than the demo could really show. LoW is fun, but pretty shallow gameplay wise.

kunonabi

so what is the deal with the KOs and pinfalls? That is no two vids that didn't go to a knockout, is there an option to turn them off then?

Nelo Ice

Banned
thanks for the impressions purexed

so tempted to grab this day 1 but i think i'll wait for a price drop since most games drop to $40 insanely fast well that and theres absolutely shit incentive in terms of deals to pick this up day 1

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How big is the demo dl (ps3 or 360) and what's in it?

Also, do we know anything about the Wii version? Beside the obvious graphical difference (does it look better than the ps2 port?) does it play the same/has everything in it and is it even made by the same devs?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the best demos I have ever played. It went from a "I'll purchase when it drops to $20" to a day 1 purchase. This is the most fun I've had playing a wrestling game in probably 10 years and this is just a demo!

full game is awesome, the game is alot deeper than you expect. You can do some crazy juggles and chain grapples. Fantasy warfare is awesome as well and probably the best part about the game IMO. The video packages are amazingly well done for that mode. Not to mention the AI is not dumb at ALL at default. Best wrestling game since HCTP easily.

DrDogg

kunonabi said:
so what is the deal with the KOs and pinfalls? That is no two vids that didn't go to a knockout, is there an option to turn them off then?

You can perform a pin at any point in time. The lower the opponent's health, the harder it is for them to break out of the pin. This makes a pin almost guaranteed once the meter is flashing red (empty).

You can perform a Finisher once the finisher meter is full. If it's performed at any point in time before the opponent's health meter is flashing red, it just inflicts damage. If it's performed while the opponent's health meter is flashing red, it results in a KO. In either instance you can use a well-timed counter to escape the Finisher.

Why do you need an option to turn KOs off?

Top Bottom