• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

vixlar

DoctorWho said:
Still have my N64 and a copy of No Mercy along with a copy of WCW vs. NWO Revenge for good measure.

No Mercy along with DoR2 are two wrestling games I will never get rid of. They will be sitting in my attic when I'm 90 years old.

Oh, I'm jealous. You have a great taste in wrestling games. Do you like Def Jam Vendetta or Fight for New York?

And Revenge, I like that you can play the tag team championship with a friend. And... La Parkaaaaaaaaa

My favorite "worst" wrestling engine was the Raw series on the original XBox. I remember a match I had where I busted out of the gate playing a friend of mine, within 3 minutes, hit my front, back, and turnbuckle finisher.... and he kicked out. He got up, and did a scoop slam, went for the pin, and due to me being a house of fire and being SO exhausted from kicking his ass for the first 99% of the match, couldn't kick out and he got the 1-2-3. lol

Also, speaking of No Mercy, my friend and I had a pretty epic Taka vs. Funaki match last weekend. : )

vixlar said:
Oh, I'm jealous. You have a great taste in wrestling games. Do you like Def Jam Vendetta or Fight for New York?

And Revenge, I like that you can play the tag team championship with a friend. And... La Parkaaaaaaaaa

I've actually never played the Def Jam games. Did they capture the feel of No Mercy at all.

Speaking of No Mercy, I remember it having a lot of slowdown with four players on screen, where as Wrestleman 2000 did not.

I've always wanted to grab the Japanese series based on the same engine. What was it called?

Murkas

MiniDitka said:
Most of the Gamestops in my area have DOR2 for around 8-9$

UK, our GAME/Gamestation's here have a very poor preowned section when it comes to previous gens :(

Well the ones by me anyway.

evil ways

DoctorWho said:
I've actually never played the Def Jam games. Did they capture the feel of No Mercy at all.

Speaking of No Mercy, I remember it having a lot of slowdown with four players on screen, where as Wrestleman 2000 did not.

I've always wanted to grab the Japanese series based on the same engine. What was it called?
Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 & 2.

#1 felt more like WCW vs NWO World Tour except with japan wrestlers and the WCW/NWO cast, but #2 is godlike. It has everything WM2000 and No Mercy had(gameplay and move wise) plus an MMA mode.

evil ways said:
Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 & 2.

#1 felt more like WCW vs NWO World Tour except with japan wrestlers and the WCW/NWO cast, but #2 is godlike. It has everything WM2000 and No Mercy had(gameplay and move wise) plus an MMA mode.

Might have two find myself a copy of two and figure out a way to play it.

evil ways

DoctorWho said:
Might have two find myself a copy of two and figure out a way to play it.
On ebay you can usually get it along with the action replay cart that allows you to play it for around $30-$40, but you would also need a N64.

There are other methods but unless you already own the game, they would be "illegal".

MiniDitka

Never forget :(

wcwre7.jpg

For those picking this up what will be your first match?

vixlar

DoctorWho said:

Well, the first one was similar to No Mercy, but with less things. Like No Mercy light. The second one was different, but fun. You could use the scenery to harm the oponent, even the crowd.

I remember AKI did a Kinnikuman game.

I will look for those Virtual Pro Wrestling on YT.

Sorry if I'm out of context in this thread... my Xbox is dead (u_u)

Murkas

Out of curiosity, how many people getting this game are completely out of the loop WWE wise? I haven't watched wrestling in 5-6 years but the gameplay and roster was way too good to pass up.

Murkas said:
Out of curiosity, how many people getting this game are completely out of the loop WWE wise? I haven't watched wrestling in 5-6 years but the gameplay and roster was way too good to pass up.

I'm barely in the loop. I've watched maybe 4-5 episodes in the past 4 years.

evil ways said:
On ebay you can usually get it along with the action replay cart that allows you to play it for around $30-$40, but you would also need a N64.

There are other methods but unless you already own the game, they would be "illegal".

That's surprisingly cheaper than I expected.

Might give it a purchase.

Murkas said:

Since the Rock/Stone Cold era, I haven't really followed wrestling at all other than dropping in to see whats going on. I havent heard of Drew McIntyre or Jack Swagger though.

I wonder how much it would cost to get the rights to the Aki engine for a game. Of course, I'd have to hire programers and artists to help make the game I want to do. I'd really like to do a non-licensed/full-featured wrestling game with that engine. How much money does it cost to make an XBLA/PSN game these days?

RBH

DoctorWho said:
You can actually get rid of the slowdown during four-player matches in No Mercy by turning off the background music in the options menu.

Neat little trick that I wish I had found out sooner about.

vixlar

Like 10 years of not watching WWE. I read some news and things like that, but I don't have time to watch it now.

TheApatheticOne said:
Since the Rock/Stone Cold era, I haven't really followed wrestling at all other than dropping in to see whats going on. I havent heard of Drew McIntyre or Jack Swagger though.
McIntyre and both Swagger are mid carders. Swagger did win the belt a few years ago.

DoR2 is still a regular multiplayer fixture at my house, fatal 4 way last man standing matches are the mode of choice. Easily the best WWE game since No Mercy.

Anyone remember the random "no selling" feature of the first DoR? you would hit someone with a finisher and they just got up for no reason

Murkas said:

Haven't been interested in wrestling for a while now, probably 8 years but I always dig a good wrestling game for some reason.

It's why I decent CAW is so important for me, as I don't know anything about current rosters. All-Stars fixes this having the legends. I'd prefer the entire roster to be legends, but I can see why they mixed it.

Totally buying All-Stars after I got a bunch of versus matches with a buddy the other night. Awesome fun. Rey is really good when you use all his high-flyer specific attacks.

JdFoX187

Banned
deVIZtator said:
McIntyre and both Swagger are mid carders. Swagger did win the belt a few years ago.
Last year actually, after cashing in Money in the Bank the week after Wrestlemania. Sad how they've treated him since :(

Really digging All Stars, and I'm surprised, since I didn't think I would like it. Now just have to wait until my trade-ins get to Amazon so I can buy it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Murkas said:
It's weird that I recognize most of the legendary roster despite not ever being a big wrestling fan, but I have no who idea who guys like Cena are or why I should care about them.

My friends and I used to play WCW v NWO for hours on end for years, and there were things about the game I liked and things I didn't. WWE All Stars looks like an over the top, streamlined version of that style of game so it grabbed my attention.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
I absolutely loved the the demo I will pick this up for sure.

A little off topic but I haven't played a SvR since SvR2007, what would be a good one to pick up for someone who has been out of the loop on the series? Thanks in advance guys!

Played with Warrior today, found him to be a little more basic, and AI Rey would reverse much more than AI UW did when I played as Rey for a few matches yesterday. Still digging the fuck out of this game!

chixdiggit

Wow, I'm shocked at how much fun the demo is. The NBA Jam style of game play is exactly what a Pro wrestling game needs. Can't wait to try out Snuka.

Can somebody clear up the reversal situation for me? What is the difference between pushing r1 or l1 to reverse? They both seem to work but r1 is never prompted.

Frankfurt

Banned
I tried the demo today, went back and forth on the menus to see if anyone besides Cena and The Rock showed up. Started the game, and after playing for a couple minutes, it prompted me to download an update for the demo (which was weiord, as i had downloaded it like 30 minutes prior).

I downloaded the tiny update, restarted the game, and saw Hogan on the menu screen. Anyone knows what was added? Was it just Hogan being on the select screen?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:
I tried the demo today, went back and forth on the menus to see if anyone besides Cena and The Rock showed up. Started the game, and after playing for a couple minutes, it prompted me to download an update for the demo (which was weiord, as i had downloaded it like 30 minutes prior).

I downloaded the tiny update, restarted the game, and saw Hogan on the menu screen. Anyone knows what was added? Was it just Hogan being on the select screen?

On 360, if you're downloading anything else while the demo is running, upon completing the DL, the game will think you recieved "New downloadable content!" and return back to the menu.

Maybe that's what happened? I saw Hogan on the front screen on the first day the game came out, so I don't think anything was added. Probably just that odd download "glitch".

kunonabi

My favorite wrestling games:

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 All around fun, great multiplayer,
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 - super solid engine, easy to pick up and play
King of Colosseum - Favorite game to sim matches
Fire Pro Wrestling D - Really fun multiplayer
Giant Gram - favorite grappling system because of the reversals.

I'll probably rent all-stars.

I don't mind the arcade nature but the whole no pin thing just doesn't sit right with me.

Frankfurt

Banned
SAB CA said:
On 360, if you're downloading anything else while the demo is running, upon completing the DL, the game will think you recieved "New downloadable content!" and return back to the menu.

Maybe that's what happened? I saw Hogan on the front screen on the first day the game came out, so I don't think anything was added. Probably just that odd download "glitch".

Ah, that explains it.

Thanks.

Also, had a ton of fun with the demo. I'm so getting this. Everything looks so gorgeous, and gameplay is a breeze. Wish they had Divas in those graphics... Maybe some cutscenes will have them? I can hope.

Only complaint is the constant loading. Would rather have a longer loading early on (DOA does this really well, you even forget the loading screen exists through story mode, just lightning fast jumping from one fight to the next). Judging from the youtube vids, the full version has the same loadfing problem. Oh well, not a dealbreaker.

canadian crowe said:
Can somebody clear up the reversal situation for me? What is the difference between pushing r1 or l1 to reverse? They both seem to work but r1 is never prompted.

I believe LB/L1 is to counter a grapple. It's tricky to get the timing down

betweenthewheels said:
I believe LB/L1 is to counter a grapple. It's tricky to get the timing down
That's what I thought too (and it works) but r1 also counters grapples. It seems weird to have two buttons so I'll bet they both do something unique from eachother.

Linkhero1

I would love this game even more if KO was optional. The demo is great and I think this will be the multiplayer game on the 360 that I'll be playing the most offline.

Based on the demo I thought this was terrible. Obviously does not match up to No Mercy, KoC2, FPR, or GG2K.

Nothing in this game seems like it has any impact.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheAtomicPile said:
How does breaking a guy's neck with a sleeper hold prove that nothing has any impact?
It doesn't prove anything. It's just completely unexpected and hilarious and the people in the comments section were apoplectic over it, which makes it even more hilarious. It's kind of a metaphor for the game.

Top Bottom