• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

Chrange

Banned
They probably still have the rights to Hogan's image under a Legends contract or something.

On the LoW comparisions, I haven't really felt like it was a similar game at all. I absolutely HATED LoW's gameplay (especially the pinnacle Hogan/Andre battle) and I'm really liking All Star a lot. Where LoW was good until the nostalgia shine wore off, All Star is still fun to play.

Messi

bjork said:
Under contract to TNA. Hogan's a special case or something.

They own his gimmick maybe? same with Ultimate warrior?

How do you leave out Booker T. lol, I'd love to see some WCW and ECW people in the sequel or as DLC.

+1 for Diesel Game needs more big men.

RBH

Hulk Hogan owns the rights to his likeness/gimmick/persona, so he has the ability to license it out in whatever medium that he chooses to, regardless of what company he works for.

dreamfall

Those WCW days in the late 90's when it really started taking off- would like to see some of those guys too! Sting, Malenko, Nash/Hall and even Goldberg. Its strange to think Jericho & Mysterio really built up their images (along with countless others) in WCW before moving on to the WWE. And then to only be worth $4 miilion-ish after all that?! Mismanagement at its finest.

Afrikan

Kingpen said:
My ultimate favorite wrestling games are the AKI ones, and I especially adore Def Jam FFNY (even if it is streetfighting focused). I'm really hoping this new all-stars can combine a great roster, with some of the fun of those old AKI games. The best parts of the AKI games were the momentum shifts in them, causing frantic, fun gameplay.

I had all types of wrestling games...back in the days it was worth it to get a Japanese psx..with all the games they had.

I had New Japan Pro Wrestling 3 (GOD I LOVED THIS!....the Japan's NWO intro was fucking sick!)

and also had All Japan Pro Wrestling: King's Soul.....didn't understand the story mode too much, but damn if Human didn't make it come off as EPIC...especially the ending.......also it really had PS2 type graphics for its time....controlled horribly..but hey, I had fun....it had Vader for god's sakes.

but yeah, the AKI games were the best playing wrestling games....WCW World Tour was a start of something special.....I can't tell you how much time me and my friends played that game.

Afrikan

Zep said:
Looks better than SvR11.

game was ahead of its time...it had realistic double team moves...and even triple team moves...all during the early PS1 era.

I believe this is SvR's original engine....its just that when they first released the Smackdown series..it was more arcady...with wrestling getting up faster....in this one, they stay down after hard moves.

Lunchbox

Banned
played the demo at bestbuy that pretty much had the full roster and now kinda wanna buy it

warrior is a such a shitty brawler, played 2 matches with punk and he was twice as fast and had twice the moves (just like real life). and grapplers look really cool too. bret hart kept transitioning suplexes into holds and then back into suplexes. wish i had some shit to trade in and get this, im broke :(

Nocturnowl said:
The opening scene can be your character as a child meeting his favourite wrestler only to be told to shove off and said wrestler then goes off to drink a beer with a heel thus shattering the illusion of wrestling.
As far as backstage drama goes, you have a match against Orton, a botch will lead to a huge depush or even release! (and maybe even a turd in your gym bag)

SOMAS $500
( +10 to charisma. Getting fired chance increases 10%)

haha id love a wrestling rpg like that.

Cant wait to play this today, copy already out for delivery from Amazon!

Loved watching the IGN video review. Their complaints were that in career mode, it was mainly playing through wrestling matches, the characters were too different ("How is someone supposed to know that Bret Hart is a grappler and not a brawler?"), and that the control scheme had too much depth for this type of game.

So yeah, just confirming what the demo and all the videos Ive watched already have.... that Im very likely going to love the full game!

YoungHav

Banned
vixlar said:
Do you know what I hate? NBA Jam!!!

Why LeBron James jumps 4 meters?

Why the basket turn on fire?

Why the ball doesn't go out of the court?
LOL. My beef with the game is there are legends that are not in smackdown and are in this POS game. THQ used to put a decent amount of legends in the smackdown roster until they started making stupid ass sidegames like this. No Hulk Hogan moveset (running leg drop impossible to recreate as well) in SvR11 but he's in this crap? Fuck THQ.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
DoctorWho said:
Any impressions from people who picked it up?

Can you turn off KOs!?
:(

No, you can't. But, they're actually kind of awesome.

I've been playing this game for a little while now and I love the KOs.

First thing's first when you pick up this game: divorce the idea of wrestling rules from this game immediately and you will like it that much more. This is really a fighting game with wrestling trappings.

KOs exist because of the arcade-style play. Submissions wouldn't work in this game, count outs would be stupid and pins only would SUCK for the triple threat and fatal four matches you have to go through.

When you do a double KO elimination for the first time, your mind will be blown.

Yeah, there is a nice thread at the Operation Sports forums for this game with some impressions, and as one person who really wanted (and still does) the KO's to be an option, it does sound like they arent THAT bad and it does lead to some cool moments.

Still think its a crime that there is no Christian and that he hasnt been announced as DLC either.

TheApatheticOne said:
Yeah, there is a nice thread at the Operation Sports forums for this game with some impressions, and as one person who really wanted (and still does) the KO's to be an option, it does sound like they arent THAT bad and it does lead to some cool moments.

Still think its a crime that there is no Christian and that he hasnt been announced as DLC either.
Probably a good thing, I can see the announcer reaction for him:

"... it's ... it's Christian..."

"..."

vixlar

Yes, it is a little difficult to see this game as a "fighting" and not as "wrestling".

My main concern is about when the opponent falls. There's little window to do an attack when he is on the ground because he stands up quickly even when he is with low energy. You must cath him when he turns red.

And a question to people who already have it. Are there team graples in this game?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
vixlar said:
My main concern is about when the opponent falls. There's little window to do an attack when he is on the ground because he stands up quickly even when he is with low energy. You must cath him when he turns red.

And a question to people who already have it. Are there team graples in this game?

There are two states of people on the ground. The regular state, where they pop up quickly and the injured state where they fade to a muted color that allows you to strike and grapple on the ground.

It takes a bit getting used to, but you'll be able to do moves on the ground.

There are no team grapples in the game.

shaowebb

El_TigroX said:
There are two states of people on the ground. The regular state, where they pop up quickly and the injured state where they fade to a muted color that allows you to strike and grapple on the ground.

It takes a bit getting used to, but you'll be able to do moves on the ground.

There are no team grapples in the game.

Like I said...fun but no depth.

RBH

DoctorWho said:
LOL. An official thread from January?
lvEyC.gif

Afrikan said:
I had New Japan Pro Wrestling 3 (GOD I LOVED THIS!....the Japan's NWO intro was fucking sick!)

and also had All Japan Pro Wrestling: King's Soul.....didn't understand the story mode too much, but damn if Human didn't make it come off as EPIC...especially the ending.......also it really had PS2 type graphics for its time....controlled horribly..but hey, I had fun....it had Vader for god's sakes.

but yeah, the AKI games were the best playing wrestling games....WCW World Tour was a start of something special.....I can't tell you how much time me and my friends played that game.
I cant believe thats a PS1 game...wow

Saw this post by tcrews at OperationSports and had to share:

I know I'm not well known, a staff writer, or anything like that. But i just want to say that I've seen a few "professional" reviews that are docking this game some serious points just for the depth and complexity that they're apparently too time crunched or lazy to learn.

I can't speak for everyone, but the SvR series is so painfully easy that it literally takes any and all fun out of the game since after you learn the CPU's timing it's impossible to lose a 1 on 1 match after an hour, no matter the difficulty.

On the flip side, Super Street Fighter IV is the most complex game I've ever played. Just doing a FADC (Forward Attack Dash Cancel) takes most people weeks, if not months to learn. You can mash buttons and jump around at the lower levels of play, but if you ever want to be proficient online, you need to learn the ins and outs of the game. Because at high levels of play, those aforementioned FADCs are one of the most widely used moves in the tournaments.

This game is absolutely more difficult than SvR and much less complex than SSFIV. You can play this game however you want to. But if there's ever high level tournaments, you're going to need to learn all the reversal timings and combos. But if you want to play it as a wrestling game, you can do that too.

The fact that it's difficult should absolutely not take anything away from this game, be it review points or potential buyers. It's fun for ALL levels. It's just that if you want to be "great" at the game, you're going to need to learn the ins and outs, much like a high level fighting game, which is, let's not forget please, what this game is. It's SvR and Street Fighter having a baby, and fortunately, the baby was born in perfect health. I just can't imagine disparaging or knocking a game because it's too challenging for me. If anything, complexity adds to the games longevity. Who wants to be able to completely master a game in 10 minutes? How is that fun? Isn't that why most people don't really like SvR all that much? The CPU never adjusts their timing and you can reverse Every. Single. Move.

If you're the type of person that plays NBA 2k11 and makes trades so that your Miami Heat team adds Steve Nash at the point and Dwight Howard at center, then you probably will hate how complex this game is on the higher levels of difficulty and online against a good opponent. But don't knock the games challenge because it's lost on you for whatever reason. If the reversal system wasn't as it is, this game wouldn't be nearly as fun. The fact that you have the tools at your disposal to make a comeback, reverse a finisher as you're about to be KO'd, and have an advantage playing against others who don't want to put the time in to learn the full game, should be looked at as a wonderful creative decision.

I'm about 60 matches in and I've gotten the hell beat out of me at least 2 dozen times. That's why I'm at my 60th match, had I won the first 30 with full health remaining, I'd probably go trade it back in at Gamestop. Just don't knock the game because of it's technical aspects. It's like saying Bret Hart is a crappy wrestler because his moves are too complex to understand. Difficulty in sports and/or fighting games is always a good thing. Depending on your age, you know for a fact that having an undefeated season and winning whatever championship gets old real quick. This is a fighting game in a wrestlers body, all the classic stars you know and love mixed with the guys that are currently out there. You get all the signature and finishing moves that you used to cheer for with all of the high octane matches of Street Fighter IV.

Complexity is a good thing, but I understand it isn't for everyone. This game enables you to play however you want, though. If it's too hard to follow, bump the difficulty down. If you're getting smoked online, only play friends. Or you can do what a lot of us do, practice, get better, and allow yourself to become immersed in what should be widely considered by far the best, most fun wrestling game since No Mercy.

This got me really excited.

the control scheme in the demo used thumbsticks but they sell controller pads and arcade sticks...
????????

is there are control scheme for the d-pad?

El_TigroX said:
It's used to taunt.

He's talking about the specialty controlers that were released today without analoge sticks. It's a good question. I'm not sure how the controls are mapped for it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I know I'm not well known, a staff writer, or anything like that. But i just want to say that I've seen a few "professional" reviews that are docking this game some serious points just for the depth and complexity that they're apparently too time crunched or lazy to learn.
I think any reviewer that rates SvR11 higher than All Stars is going to have their gamer card revoked.

DoctorWho said:
He's talking about the specialty controlers that were released today without analoge sticks. It's a good question. I'm not sure how the controls are mapped for it.
and there was an arcade stick at EB Games for this..

can anyone confirm alt control schemes?

DrDogg

DoctorWho said:

Both the BrawlPad and BrawlStick have a toggle that allows you to change the dpad (BrawlPad) and stick (BrawlStick) to function as a Left Analog, Right Analog or dpad. There's also an option to hold the Back/Select button for 2 seconds to change the function to the Right Analog stick so you don't have to mess with the toggle.

- The Left Analog is used for general movement and attack directions.
- The Right Analog is used to change your grapple or to select a different opponent in matches with 3 or 4 wrestlers.
- The dpad is strictly limited to taunts, but 5 taunts fills your finisher meter so it has some importance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DrDogg said:
Both the BrawlPad and BrawlStick have a toggle that allows you to change the dpad (BrawlPad) and stick (BrawlStick) to function as a Left Analog, Right Analog or dpad. There's also an option to hold the Back/Select button for 2 seconds to change the function to the Right Analog stick so you don't have to mess with the toggle.

- The Left Analog is used for general movement and attack directions.
- The Right Analog is used to change your grapple or to select a different opponent in matches with 3 or 4 wrestlers.
- The dpad is strictly limited to taunts, but 5 taunts fills your finisher meter so it has some importance.
I don't see how you would be able to use more than one at a time, unless I'm missing something.

SapientWolf said:
I don't see how you would be able to use more than one at a time, unless I'm missing something.

While the taunts aren't necessary, I have to imagine that left/right thumbstick functionality is essential to playing the game properly. Holding down the bakc button to switch seems like it would get confusing.

Chrange

Banned
canadian crowe said:
Has anybody figured out how to chain wrestle yet?

This game needs an in game move list to be perfect.

No, but I had that bastard Hart do a five move chain on me. That was the first I knew that there even was chain wrestling in it lol

Chrange said:
No, but I had that bastard Hart do a five move chain on me. That was the first I knew that there even was chain wrestling in it lol
You really do need a guide for this game. I know there is a way to do a grapple and then a top rope finisher, but I can't figure it out. I also don't know how to springboard off the ropes.

eggybob said:
Is there a strategy guide for this? If there is, does anyone have it and is it any good?
There is a guide. Dr Dogg actually wrote it and based on the free preview THQ posted, it's really handy.

Edit: this game really is great. They have all of the little details, like Bret going chest first when thrown into a turnbuckle.

RBH

lessthananth725 said:
Is it Toys r Us or K-Mart giving away a $10 or $15 Wrestlemania credit with the purchase of All Stars?
Toys R Us has the $10 credit for the Wrestlemania 27 PPV.

Kmart has a $10 gaming coupon and a $15 WWE merchandise coupon (to use on DVDs, apparel, etc).

I have it in my hands but I have to wait until tomorrow to play. Stuck at my mother's place for the night.

I should buy a 360 just for this place.

DrDogg

SapientWolf said:

You can't. You can only use one at a time.

canadian crowe said:
Has anybody figured out how to chain wrestle yet?

This game needs an in game move list to be perfect.

Not all wrestlers have chain grapples. The ones that do, it requires moderately strict timing to pull them off. If you mash, they won't execute.

canadian crowe said:
You really do need a guide for this game. I know there is a way to do a grapple and then a top rope finisher, but I can't figure it out. I also don't know how to springboard off the ropes.

For the most part, only the Acrobat class can do the rope springs and top rope finishers. For the rope springs, you have to run toward the ropes and press one of the attack buttons just before you reach them.

eggybob said:
Is there a strategy guide for this? If there is, does anyone have it and is it any good?

What canadian crowe said. Here's the preview of the guide that was released for the demo:

http://thqinc.cachefly.net/wwe/AllStars_Images/WWE_AllStars_Demo_StrategyGuide.pdf

Trying to decide whether or not to pick this one up.

I like what I'm hearing about the gameplay, but hate what I've seen of the visual style and what I've heard about the career mode.

Top Bottom