• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

The Antitype said:
Trying to decide whether or not to pick this one up.

I like what I'm hearing about the gameplay, but hate what I've seen of the visual style and what I've heard about the career mode.
Path of Champions is okay. It's just a Mortal Kombat style ladder. They do have fun little cutscenes in them though. My favorite being the Undertaker ones.

Fantasy Warfare is fun because of the video packages before hand. They are really well done.

I can imagine that this will be great online once people pick it up. This is my favorite wrestling game this gen so far. There are great little touches (I mentioned earlier how
cool it was that Bret did his signature chest turnbuckle bump when he is thrown into it) and the reversals and animation are top notch.

If you have $60 you are willing to part with, I'd go for it. I'm enjoying it more than MvC3 too ( although I'm not a huge traditional fighting game fan).

Yeah, I was thinking multiplayer would be the draw.

I'm just trying to decide what game I'm willing to play less to fit it in.

Halo: Reach is a staple. It's not going anywhere.

Hot Pursuit, for the cops'n'robbers mode. Still trying to get that damn Cop bounty achievement...oh and cause it's tons of fun.

I'm level 30 in Crysis 2, and my best friends are addicted to it, so I'll probably be playing that for awhile longer.

I play VF5, SSF4 and MvC3 here and there.

Where the hell am I going to fit another one in, LOL.

The nice thing about single-player games is that I can just hop into them whenever I have some time, whether it's late at night, or if work is slow. I don't need friends or a decent population to make it fun.

But I am a HUGE wrestling nut, and the chance to beat the crap out of the 80s stars I can't stand with the likes of Stone Cold, HBK, and the Rock is a HELL of a temptation. :D

The Antitype said:
But I am a HUGE wrestling nut, and the chance to beat the crap out of the 80s stars I can't stand with the likes of Stone Cold, HBK, and the Rock is a HELL of a temptation. :D
This game is a no brainer then! I don't know how I'll feel in a month or so, but I've bought pretty much every major release this year and this is my favorite one. I am worried about the longevity, and if there was no DLC coming out I would want more wrestler content. However, we have 12 more wrestlers being released, which makes the roster pretty healthy, and since they all play differently it will be fun to master all of them.

JdFoX187

Banned
Been playing for a couple hours and the game is really fun, and addicting. Much more fun than the SvR series. I actually don't think I'll get SvR this year, unless they do something to really spruce it up. Only problem I worry about is longevity. No one I know is buying this at the moment, so that means I'll have to play the huddled masses online, and that can be quite terrifying.

bumpkin

The Antitype said:
Trying to decide whether or not to pick this one up.

I like what I'm hearing about the gameplay, but hate what I've seen of the visual style and what I've heard about the career mode.
Forget what you've *heard* and download the demo. I wasn't paying any attention to the game at all, and the demo propelled it to my list of wanted games.

Lunchbox

Banned
hah eddie is so over powered in this game, i havent lost a match with him online

he's a high flyer with some good grapples. so bounce off the rope hit monkey flip, transition it into the 3 amigos. and the frog splash hits no matter where the dude is, so people who run out side to avoid finishers get ko'd even easier.

get the game if youre going to play online or with buddies. thats where the longevity is, single player is pretty barebones

Afrikan

The Antitype said:

HA! I can't wait to beat the crap out of these new kids I have never heard of, using the 80's stars!

Is anyone else on PS3 having issues with the game crashing?

I've had the game in for maybe an hour and have had 2 crashes both during the Eddie vs Rey fantasy match up.

Man, the SP in this is so tedious, unless you enjoy cutscenes.

Multi is obviously where it's at, but in case anyone is judging their purchase based on SP, wait for a price drop.

Shiv47

lessthananth725 said:
Is anyone else on PS3 having issues with the game crashing?

I've had the game in for maybe an hour and have had 2 crashes both during the Eddie vs Rey fantasy match up.

I had a crash while the Mr Perfect-Punk match was supposed to load. And the options during character creation were sometimes reeeeallly sluggish.

Shiv47 said:
I had a crash while the Mr Perfect-Punk match was supposed to load. And the options during character creation were sometimes reeeeallly sluggish.

My game crashed for a third time while I was in the middle of a match in career mode. Ill give it until tomorrow. Hopefully it sorts itself out.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The game is fun but ugh at some things online. Being grabbed on wake up is probably my biggest peeve along with stomach kick reversal wars.

canadian crowe said:
Are you on the ps3? I still cant find a game.
I finally was able to get an online match. Wow!!! It was amazing. This guy was using the warrior and I had the dragon. He was kicking my ass the whole way. I was able to mount a comeback and KO him.

MiniDitka

This might be the most fun I've ever had with a wrestling/fighting game :D A few matches I recorded.

Tiny Dancer vs Jake The Snake vs Macho Man In A Triple Threat Match - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqTHt89MvY

Ultimate Warrior vs Sheamus(Fantasy Warfare/Greatest Warrior) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHIGbBG6U9I

Jake "The Snake" Roberts vs Randy Orton(Fantasy Warfare/Coldest Snake) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evmIFZEBjdQ

Ricky Steamboat vs Kofi Kingston(Fantasy Warfare/Innovative Offense) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMoOoW9-w8

Played about 4-5 hours yesterday, and I absolutely am in love.

In the 4 games I played against the AI, I went 2-2. Got DESTROYED by Warrior playing as Sheamus in the Fantasy Warfare mode, and then lost to The Miz as The Rock. The most rewarding match was a win with Mr. Perfect against Kofi Kingston, which was a barn-burner. All of the matches were fun, even the Warrior demolishing.

The rest of the matches were playing against a buddy of mine and pretty much split our matches. Had some pretty crazy moments though. Looking forward to learning the engine even more! Best wrestling game of the last two gens.

PopfulMail

Anyone have issues playing on Live last night? I tried a handful of times throughout the evening and kept getting a msg. saying the servers were down. A buddy on my friends list said it was working fine for him though...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Why does Punk and Cena have 2 year old designs? Punk's hair got shaved off last summer but the game looks like pre-bald Punk. -_-

PhatSaqs

Banned
PopfulMail said:
Anyone have issues playing on Live last night? I tried a handful of times throughout the evening and kept getting a msg. saying the servers were down. A buddy on my friends list said it was working fine for him though...
I was able to get in a decent amount of matches but I did see the "Live not available" message a handful of times as well.

Question: i tried to create an online match but then it got stuck for a long long time on a loading screen and I don't get what was going on and i couldn't cancel

is this normal or what?

PopfulMail

PhatSaqs said:
I was able to get in a decent amount of matches but I did see the "Live not available" message a handful of times as well.

Good to know... thanks. Figured it was probably first day jitters or something... I'll give it another go tonight.

RBH

It should also be noted that in his typical easter egging fashion, Sal DiVita confirmed to me the presence of a hidden character that was unreleased and unspoken of prior to release. I could not shake him for details, nor was I able to find out who it was. I will say it is NOT Honky Tonk Man, who was recently confirmed as free DLC in April, as he confirmed Honky's appearance and said there were more hidden secrets.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/Staff-Review/13346/WWE-All-Stars---.html

tralfazz

RBH said:

It's like the NBA Jam of wrestling. Love it. Bought this game yesterday and played for hours having a blast. Hearing The Snake's theme was great and brought back memories.

I need to pick up the guide. I was having trouble with the Steel Cage match against Hogan (cheating MFer). I can climb to the top but didn't know what to do to activate the QTE. I was holding the trigger and pressing up but I would get to the top and it would drop Punk back down.

NYCrooner

Spent all of last night playing this bad boy. It really is just an NBA Jam meets WWE, which is okay in my book. I've wanted a Wrestlefest style game for a while and this def fits the bill.

The one thing that irks me a bit is that the intro for Hogan starts a couple of bars in. The intro to his song is what usually gets me going so not having that kinda bums me out. All the other intros seem to start appropriately.

Played this some last night. I went ahead and got the guide as well.

I was messing around with Bret Hart's grapple-chains and they're a lot of fun when I can pull them off. There's lots of variations too. I think I had way too much fun repeatedly annihilating Rey Mysterio trying to nail the different combos.

Game is aight. Dunno why they released an arcade stick if you can't change the controls. Wish there was a training mode too.

Been spamming Mr. Perfect using light, light, right light grapple (hip toss) which launches followed by random juggles.

how is/ is Alberto Del Rio in the game? does he come out in dat bentley and his spanish announcer

saw a stream of it this morning and it looked pretty good

ah just saw the rosters, guess not :(

tralfazz said:
It's like the NBA Jam of wrestling. Love it. Bought this game yesterday and played for hours having a blast. Hearing The Snake's theme was great and brought back memories.

I need to pick up the guide. I was having trouble with the Steel Cage match against Hogan (cheating MFer). I can climb to the top but didn't know what to do to activate the QTE. I was holding the trigger and pressing up but I would get to the top and it would drop Punk back down.
The QTE comes up automatically.

DrDogg

tralfazz said:

You won't get the QTE until the opponent has been damaged a bit. If you knock them down once and try to climb out, it won't let you.

gutter_trash said:
is there a practice or training mode somewhere that shows you the chains?

Nope. Only found in the strategy guide until someone uploads/posts them somewhere.

So in about an hour and a half of game time I have had 5 mid match crashes, where the games sends me back to the XMB. This really sucks because I'm really enjoying this game but I haven't been able to get more than two matches in at a time. I've sent a message to THQ support and hopefully there is something I can do to prevent this from happening again.

lessthananth725 said:
So in about an hour and a half of game time I have had 5 mid match crashes, where the games sends me back to the XMB. This really sucks because I'm really enjoying this game but I haven't been able to get more than two matches in at a time. I've sent a message to THQ support and hopefully there is something I can do to prevent this from happening again.
That sucks. I haven't had a crash yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gutter_trash said:
LOL wut?
the game manual is bare bones and not move lists in game?
WTF in 2011
man! I am disapoint
Manuals are pretty much on the way out anyway but no in-game move lists is a huge oversight.

DrDogg

gutter_trash said:
I am not paying 20+$ for a guide of moves lists that should be included in the game

fuck this, Im returning it

I understand your frustration, but to clarify, the guide is more than just move lists. It's also only $12 on Amazon at the moment.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gutter_trash said:
I am not paying 20+$ for a guide of moves lists that should be included in the game

fuck this, Im returning it
I'd bet you a used copy of WWE All Stars that someone is working on a FAQ right now.

MiniDitka said:
Jake "The Snake" Roberts vs Randy Orton(Fantasy Warfare/Coldest Snake) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evmIFZEBjdQ

I like how the WWE has to pimp all the newer talent as "legend killers" like that is supposed to make me impressed with their lineup of tatooed, shaved headed, uncharismatic bores.

Anyway, the game looks fun and I did enjoy the demo. Just don't think I want sink 60 on it, I'll wait for some kind of sale I think.

Chrange

Banned
MiniDitka said:
Was wondering what they were. Thanks for the vid.

Edit:How do you unlock NWO Hogan?
You unlock alternate outfits by playing through one of the campaigns as a wrestler, according to the info screen that flashes up during loading. I wonder if doing a tag team of two wrestlers through the tag one would give you both alternates...

DrDogg said:
I understand your frustration, but to clarify, the guide is more than just move lists. It's also only $12 on Amazon at the moment.

Plus you guys seem to be releasing it in the UK, unlike Capcom's MvC3 effort. I can get behind that.

Thanks to everybody that recommended I pick this game up.

I picked it up along with NFS Shift 2, and invited a bunch of friends over (and told them to bring beer) so that we could play some games.

These are the same guys I play fighting games with. VF5, SSF4, MvC3, all those. So we played some traditional fighters, and then I threw in All-Stars.

At first they were like 'WTF' but I told them the game had characters like Hogan, Macho Man, Stone Cold and Rock, so they could play people they knew.

We started playing WWE around 9, and expected to get back to the 'real' fighters within an hour. We were up till 2 am drinking beers, laughing, screaming, the whole deal. One of the best on-the-couch multiplayer sessions I've ever had.

If I never play the game again (which is unlikely), it's already paid for itself in full.

Spectral Glider said:
I like how the WWE has to pimp all the newer talent as "legend killers" like that is supposed to make me impressed with their lineup of tatooed, shaved headed, uncharismatic bores.

Anyway, the game looks fun and I did enjoy the demo. Just don't think I want sink 60 on it, I'll wait for some kind of sale I think.

Randy Orton is called 'The Legend Killer' because, as a young star, he decided he had to make a name for himself. So he went after all the established stars and guest 'legends' and attacked them. That was his gimmick. And it got over huge.

He's actually one of my favorite WWE stars right now, just because his selfish, sociopathic character (heel or face....it was supposed to be a heel, but fans started cheering) is a breath of fresh air among bland, boring PG-rated superstars.

Is he better than Jake the Snake? No way. But he's barely 30. He still has time to write his own legacy.

Top Bottom