• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

DrDogg

canadian crowe said:
Is there a way to stop Big Show's ground stop/juggle? Some guy kept spamming it online today and there was nothing I could do.

Is he using it at the end of a combo, as a stand alone attack, or when you're stunned on the ground? It's a strong strike, so it can't be countered, but it's not unblockable.

If it's used as a stand alone attack, you can use a quick strike to knock Big Show out of the air and start a short juggle. At the end of a combo, you can't do much other than block it (especially online). If you're in a grounded stun, you can't do anything. In fact, Big Show has a few setups in which the stomp is guaranteed after a knock down.

Keep in mind the fact that online makes the game slightly harder to play since the latency means you'll have difficulty reacting to things.

Decay24 said:
I just ordered the guide off Amazon. From the PDF that was posted, it looked really well done. Can't wait for it to come tomorrow.
vixlar said:
I donwloaded the guide of the demo, and let me say, I love what you and your team did, DrDogg. I will buy it when I buy the game. :)

Thank you. I don't think it's perfect, but it turned out pretty solid, IMO.

DrDogg said:
Is he using it at the end of a combo, as a stand alone attack, or when you're stunned on the ground? It's a strong strike, so it can't be countered, but it's not unblockable.

If it's used as a stand alone attack, you can use a quick strike to knock Big Show out of the air and start a short juggle. At the end of a combo, you can't do much other than block it (especially online). If you're in a grounded stun, you can't do anything. In fact, Big Show has a few setups in which the stomp is guaranteed after a knock down.

Keep in mind the fact that online makes the game slightly harder to play since the latency means you'll have difficulty reacting to things.

Thank you. I don't think it's perfect, but it turned out pretty solid, IMO.
Thanks. The guy was doing it when I was stunned on the ground. He would stomp, pop me in the air, and then grab me. The timing is probably really tight.

Used my code to download the Ted Dibiases, but cannot see them on the menu. Am I being dense? Do I have to unlock them in-game now or something?

AtomHeart

Neo Member
As much as I love this game the online system is terrible, most of the time I have to switch from lobby to lobby as I keep randomly getting booted by the host and half the time it takes 5 minutes for the lobby to actually fill up even though there are plenty of people playing it.

No host migration sucks as well, as amusing as it is to decimate someone in a fatal four way and eliminate them with a perfectly time Perfect-Plex causing them to rage quit, getting shoved back into the main menu isn't so fun.

And a way to see how good the connection to the host would be fantastic, being locked into a game where the host can dominate me because my ping is over 300ms is awful.

I went ahead and got it instead of waiting for a sale and...I'm loving it mostly. I hate that caching crap though. I'd rather had an install than have that happen almost every time I play.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kind of lame when I unlocked Sheamus's alt attire and it was... the reverse colors of his current attire.

I'm hoping for Nexus Punk DLC

Messi

DoctorWho said:
That is a little weird. How big was the file?

200mbs, I was quite suprised it wasnt a tiny file. Says in the text before you download them that they wont be available to use until the title update late april.

Also HBK is crazy fun to play as. Having someone run into your sweet chin music makes me smile every time.

Decay24

Neo Member
I messed around with Bret Hart tonight and he's fun once you learn which grapples can be chained. Lots of fun.

One of the very few complaints I have with this game is the moves they selected to be signatures. Bret Hart has piledriver, bulldog, back body drop, and a snap mare choke lock. I would've thought they'd put the russian leg sweep or his cross elbow drop from the second rope as one of his signatures. I also love how Hogan has a leg drop as one of his signatures (running with opponent on mat) and as his finisher (which it should be.)

Messi said:
200mbs, I was quite suprised it wasnt a tiny file. Says in the text before you download them that they wont be available to use until the title update late april.

I, I downloaded via the Xbox Website and didn't see the type. Apparently they're adding a title update that puts more room on the character select screen, and you can't access the characters until then. Why isn't the update out now? (Personally, I think it's to stop day one purchasers trading the game in quickly: wrestling/fighting games have a super-high turnover and lose value quickly, so I reckon this is a way to ensure people hang onto it for at least a month, but I'm a huge cynic these days...)

This is pretty much the very wrestling game I wanted back when I actually cared about wrestling. And that was when Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon hosted WWF Wrestling Challenge. So yeah, it's been awhile.

While I'm having fun with it, I can't wrap my mind around how to do grapple reversals properly. I swear I hit the right bumper exactly when the prompt appears, but rarely does it ever work.

MyEpitomeCliché said:
This is pretty much the very wrestling game I wanted back when I actually cared about wrestling. And that was when Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon hosted WWF Wrestling Challenge. So yeah, it's been awhile.

While I'm having fun with it, I can't wrap my mind around how to do grapple reversals properly. I swear I hit the right bumper exactly when the prompt appears, but rarely does it ever work.

Try hitting it a second before. I know it sounds stupid, but I had the same problem and that solved it. You just have to learn the animations for the moves and you'll get a feel for when to hit the button.

Decay24 said:
I messed around with Bret Hart tonight and he's fun once you learn which grapples can be chained. Lots of fun.

One of the very few complaints I have with this game is the moves they selected to be signatures. Bret Hart has piledriver, bulldog, back body drop, and a snap mare choke lock. I would've thought they'd put the russian leg sweep or his cross elbow drop from the second rope as one of his signatures. I also love how Hogan has a leg drop as one of his signatures (running with opponent on mat) and as his finisher (which it should be.)

A five-moves-of-doom chain should have been one of his signatures. :D

Also: Jonathan Toews is a god.

FStop7

Banned
Had an epic, 45 minute long cage match against Undertaker playing as Bret Hart, while on the path of champions leading up to Orton. After the match I kept thinking about it played out like you'd imagine a real WWE match would have. Taker basically no-sold everything, tombstoned Hart twice, but Hart managed to get up the cage and pull the Taker down at the last second. Then there was a ton of back and forth, just beating the shit out of each other for like 20 minutes without even trying to escape the cage. Then like 5 failed sharpshooter attempts, finally got it in, Hart gets to the top of the cage and gets all but 1 star filled in. Taker pulls him down and they both fall. Some more back and forth, then Hart gets back up the cage, Taker tries to grab him but Hart kicks him off from the very top, gets the last star, escapes. Really fun game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there a list of who has multiple ring attires and who only has 2? I'd hate to do a character for both paths and waste time to only get one

notworksafe

Decay24 said:
Hogan, Cena, Mysterio, Andre, and Macho Man have two attires. Everyone else has only one.
Hogan has three that I've gotten so far, and pretty much everyone else has at least two (from my understanding...haven't unlocked everyone's gear yet). I believe Cena was three as well.

Anyone picked up the Paul Bearer Urn avatar prop? I usually despise those things but it looks cool, plus your avatar does the hand shaking move when using it!

Decay24

Neo Member
Yeah that's what I meant. I posted then walked away, came back and noticed I didn't specify that well.

Notworksafe is right. It's in the guide that DrDogg did. 3 total attires for Hogan, Cena, Andre, Mysterio, and Macho Man. 2 total for everyone else.

FStop7

Banned
The Antitype said:
'NWO avoided [screwing it up] for about 2 years.'

Is Alex Navarro an idiot?

That shit was turning to shit by Starcade in 1997.

I'm not a big fan of Alex but the fact he does not have a detailed timeline of WCW history committed to memory doesn't quite make him an idiot, dude.

Jube3

Thoughts on Edge's finisher? I'm running into a lot of edges online right now and hes got the right moves, he has that spinning kick signature that kofi and he share along with a finisher spear that has very little startup. Its incredibly hard to avoid it once hes flashing gold.

Got the 10 straight live matches achievement, running into a lot of drops though :( atleast 4-5 this session, and some earlier which quit during the 1,2,3 part of the ko :(

LOVING the hell out of this game, also got my first pair of Live Rage hate messages today haha.

Jube3 said:
Thoughts on Edge's finisher? I'm running into a lot of edges online right now and hes got the right moves, he has that spinning kick signature that kofi and he share along with a finisher spear that has very little startup. Its incredibly hard to avoid it once hes flashing gold.

Got the 10 straight live matches achievement, running into a lot of drops though :( atleast 4-5 this session, and some earlier which quit during the 1,2,3 part of the ko :(

LOVING the hell out of this game, also got my first pair of Live Rage hate messages today haha.

Yeah, Edge and Orton are running rampant online.

Actually a lot of the current roster seems slightly faster and more versatile than the 'classic' wrestlers.

I tried using Ricky Steamboat for awhile online, but ultimately went back to Orton to get the 10-straight wins achievement.

I tried playing with TT match with Jake Roberts online. Yeah, don't try it - stick to the acrobats. One of the guys I was playing against had an acrobat CAW and I couldn't do anything.

Invincible frames on Undertaker's finisher are just.. Damn.

I was reading on gamefaqs (I know) that the PS3 got a patch that adds in the kick before the stunner. Anyone with a PS3 version can confirm this?

DoctorWho said:
I was reading on gamefaqs (I know) that the PS3 got a patch that adds in the kick before the stunner. Anyone with a PS3 version can confirm this?
Yes. Austin does a kick before the Stunner. Does he not on 360?

Bubs Mugumbo said:
No he doesn't. I was totally weirded out when I first saw it.
What a strange oversight. Wrestling physics pretty much demands a kick preceding the Stunner. I wonder if it's missing in the Wii version too...

outsidah

El Pescado said:
What a strange oversight. Wrestling physics pretty much demands a kick preceding the Stunner. I wonder if it's missing in the Wii version too...

That is a huge oversight, I was wondering about this too. If the PS3 version was patched, I could see a 360 patch on the way as well... but isn't there something about 360 patches taking longer to get approved than PS3 patches due to MS's rules on patching? Maybe that's why we haven't seen it yet.

Decay24

Neo Member
outsidah said:
That is a huge oversight, I was wondering about this too. If the PS3 version was patched, I could see a 360 patch on the way as well... but isn't there something about 360 patches taking longer to get approved than PS3 patches due to MS's rules on patching? Maybe that's why we haven't seen it yet.

I think that's exactly the issue.

I wonder if the game will be getting DLC achievements? I'm checking out the Achievement/Trophy section of the guide and there are achievements here that aren't in the game. 'I Want It All' 100 GS/30 PS Points Acquire every unlockable item. There are some achievements that are in the game but listed at a higher gamer score. The Ultimate Achievement, for example, is worth 75 in game but says 100 in guide.

Maybe this was a list of all the total achievements they came up with then had to trim it down to 1,000 gamerscore.

El Pescado said:
The corrected version looks strange since he grabs, then kicks, then Stunners them. They should have made it a strike class finisher like the KO Punch and Sweet Chin Music that transitioned into the Stunner.

Master Thespian said:
The corrected version looks strange since he grabs, then kicks, then Stunners them. They should have made it a strike class finisher like the KO Punch and Sweet Chin Music that transitioned into the Stunner.
Just like in No Mercy! :D

Kingpen

Been playing this off and on this week... This game is the best since the N64 days... Very fun matches with all the reversals and strategy going on.

Best roster ever too! I will support this game with DLC

Just looking at the games rating on Metacritic.. Here's IGN's input:

'Wrestling fans will have fun when they pick this one up but I don't know how long it'll last as it's a bit shallow. On the flip side, the nuanced combat isn't going to suck in players looking for a simple, arcade experience.'

Jeez..

El Pescado said:
Yes. Austin does a kick before the Stunner. Does he not on 360?

Apparently the patch is also the same one that downloads the Million Dollar Pack to your system. Everyone gets the patch since you may still need to face the wrestlers despite not having the DLC. On the 360, the DLC hasn't been activated by Microsoft yet so we don't have a patch.

Jube3

I got my first Double KO last night in a tornado tag elimination match, got them both in the corner with Hogans leg drop finisher :D That was so epic!

The non grab finishers are rising in popularity fast online (hogans leg drop, edge's spear, big punch) but I've found that linking them is pretty easy as well, especially with acrobats. With Kofi Kingston I can do the springboard with Y and when they bounce off the ropes my finisher can grab them out of the air even though its not an air type finisher. You can do this with the Rock as well using his back+Y punch into the rock bottom.

If anyone wants to get some games in on the 360 just shoot me a message GT: Ayo Jube.

Top Bottom