• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's why I still watch...

Wrestling is like a horror movie... usually it's either great or frequently so bad it's hilarious. We are firmly in a mix of the two right now.

Here's why Roman Reigns doesn’t actually bother me.

1) His matches actually are usually decent. His character just sucks.

2) I've long accepted his booking to the point it is hilarious. I mean the troll job on the #30 was just the icing on the cake.

3) The crowd shitting on him will never not be hilarious.

I am so down for Roman vs Taker. Taker hasn't had a great Mania match since HBK II or a meaningful Mania moment since jobbing to Lesnar. So fuck him at this point. Reigns beating Taker at Mania will be the best crowd reaction on wrestling history. Bring it on.

Conversely of Taker beats Reigns? Great, it spares someone like Bray from having that stupid "honour" in 2017. I'm 100% "cheering" for Reigns though because it'll get shit on in the most entertaining way.

Tall4Life

Even if RR95 had 30 no names, it would still be vastly superior to this year because it told a story.

It was the thing in that match.

It had a thing... and it built on that thing. Tons of Rumbles have no things. This one for example.

Ok, just because I ask for lobster and you give me raw lobster with a giant shit in the middle doesn't mean it's automatically fine. This Rumble had a lot of great little story moments interspersed throughout. You have Sami and Tye teaming up to try to take down Braun, the hoss duels, Jericho being the smartest person in the match, the Wyatt family cleaning house and then Harper turning on both of them, Brock destroying people but then getting destroyed by Oldberg, pretty much everyone being unable to eliminate each other until the biggest guys in the Rumble came in (Taker/Oldberg/Brock), Sami defying expectations and lasting longer than anyone thought he would... it was really great. If every Rumble had one story being maintained throughout the whole thing then you would only see people from the first 5 entrants winning ever.

And 1999 had one story maintained throughout the whole thing and that was absolute dogshit too. 2004 did it perfect -- multiple mini stories building throughout the match with the ultimate story of Benoit outlasting everyone, especially the Big Show who looked like a legit monster for once. Same with 1992. This Rumble wasn't perfect but it was damn good. I'd rather take something like this that was a superior overall package than something like 1995 or 1999 where it is just one story for the whole match and the rest is fucking worthless.

Ok, just because I ask for lobster and you give me raw lobster with a giant shit in the middle doesn't mean it's automatically fine. This Rumble had a lot of great little story moments interspersed throughout. You have Sami and Tye teaming up to try to take down Braun, the hoss duels, Jericho being the smartest person in the match, the Wyatt family cleaning house and then Harper turning on both of them, Brock destroying people but then getting destroyed by Oldberg, pretty much everyone being unable to eliminate each other until the biggest guys in the Rumble came in (Taker/Oldberg/Brock), Sami defying expectations and lasting longer than anyone thought he would... it was really great. If every Rumble had one story being maintained throughout the whole thing then you would only see people from the first 5 entrants winning ever.

And 1999 had one story maintained throughout the whole thing and that was absolute dogshit too. 2004 did it perfect -- multiple mini stories building throughout the match with the ultimate story of Benoit outlasting everyone, especially the Big Show who looked like a legit monster for once. Same with 1992. This Rumble wasn't perfect but it was damn good. I'd rather take something like this that was a superior overall package than something like 1995 or 1999 where it is just one story for the whole match and the rest is fucking worthless.

1999's story was not in the ring. That's a huge reason why that sucked.

Jericho beating the smartest man ended with him trying a top rope move instead of saving himself to get eliminated... aka no payoff.

Harper turned was a 30 seconds spot and no one cared. No one cared about Sami. He did nothing in the match after Stroman went out.

This match had slivers of moments that lasted seconds at a time spread out amongst minutes upon minutes of absolutely nothing.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Because people have standard, I mean early this month NJPW had one of the greatest ppv in pro wrestling history and WWE has the talent to each match that but they fall so far below it.

NJPW is at a different level (no pun intended) but not without it's problems. That said, I still think WWE has some good stuff, even if it's mostly background noise for me.

There's nothing wrong with criticism but I think if it's been a while since you've enjoyed WWE, then yeah, maybe it's time to find another promotion to focus on, and maybe just watch WWE when there's something that catches your eye. That's what I've been doing for a years now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what was this Cena promo on AJ that people keep talking about?

Because people have standard, I mean early this month NJPW had one of the greatest ppv in pro wrestling history and WWE has the talent to each match that but they fall so far below it. Like there is to much good wrestling to overlook the shit WWE does for the occasional good thing.

Then if WWE is failing your standards, don't watch it. Simple as that. Plenty of great wrestling in-ring if that's what you care about. Come back to the WWE when people you trust say it's good again. Not that difficult.

Because people have standard, I mean early this month NJPW had one of the greatest ppv in pro wrestling history and WWE has the talent to each match that but they fall so far below it. Like there is to much good wrestling to overlook the shit WWE does for the occasional good thing.

Well if you think WWE is so shit why do you keep watching it? Watch the good wrestling. I stopped watching the Simpson's once I realized I was just complaining about it.

Cena cut a heelish promo on AJ on SD. AJ was rightfully complaining that he wasnt on the cover of the Rumble poster, and that Cena called AJ "some guy from Atlanta" on a talk show host. He calls out Shane/Bryan for disrespecting the champ and cant understand why he's all the way in the back of the poster, while Cena is in the front.

He complains about how Cena immediately got the title shot without earning it. Cena's response? "Fuck you, Im John Cena, recognize"

Cena cuts a great promo that shits on AJ, but of course he's a face. AJ was crushed, he looked so sad and small.

And the week before that, Cena AA's AJ to end the episode.

You'd think AJ would keep his win because Cena was being a cocky shit. You'd think he'd at least look good and come off like the cocky champion in the build up.

But nope. AJ looks like a chump, and Cena gets his win back.

He went on tne Today show and clowned him on national TV as some guy from Atlanta and acted like he was no threat. Before that he accused AJ of wrestling cause he has to whereas Cena wrestlers cause he wants to literally minutes after AJ had talked about how he'll wrestle in a gym in front of a 100 people or in front of thousands because he loves being a wrestler.

He was just a complete dick and made AJ out to be some B+ player. In fact it's exactly that. Imagine if HHH had just beaten Daniel Bryan at XXX after all that you're a B+ player shit. That's what this feud was great match or not.

ShadyK54

Went back and looked at my predictions & got 4 out of 8 matches right, and only 2 of the 8 mystery entrants correct. Could've been worse, I guess.

GunBR

Cena cut a heelish promo on AJ on SD. AJ was rightfully complaining that he wasnt on the cover of the Rumble poster, and that Cena called AJ "some guy from Atlanta" on a talk show host. He calls out Shane/Bryan for disrespecting the champ and cant understand why he's all the way in the back of the poster, while Cena is in the front.

He complains about how Cena immediately got the title shot without earning it. Cena's response? "Fuck you, Im John Cena, recognize"

Cena cuts a great promo that shits on AJ, but of course he's a face. AJ was crushed, he looked so sad and small.

You'd think AJ would keep his win because Cena was being a cocky shit. You'd think he'd at least look good and come off like the cocky champion in the build up.

He take a picture with a child with the belt after the win

Doesn't matter what he said before the match, this is the same 100% face Cena of always

UberTag

Went back and looked at my predictions & got 4 out of 8 matches right, and only 2 of the 8 mystery entrants correct. Could've been worse, I guess.
I had 4 of the 8 mystery entrants pegged: Roman, Apollo, Kalisto, Dillinger.
I had Enzo as my 5th choice until I got baited by the Tyler Bate hype.

Barrage

...everyones just ignoring that Styles has trashed Cena called him a hasbeen...but one smackdown promo means its HHH/Booker (oh wait, except this match made Styles take more offense thab anyone in WWE history..)

...everyones just ignoring that Styles has trashed Cena called him a hasbeen...but one smackdown promo means its HHH/Booker (oh wait, except this match made Styles take more offense thab anyone in WWE history..)

Not to mention Styles beat him convincingly a few times in a row. But one loss and all of a sudden the world comes crashing down and they're hurting inside.

If that's what it takes to make dying children happy, so be it. :)

Styles is the fucking heel. He's supposed to say that shit.

creatchee

At this point, wrestling "fans" who shit on everything Roman does are simply holding on to a grudge that started back in 2015 when they thought Daniel Bryan should have won the Rumble. You know, the same Daniel Bryan who had to forfeit his World Championship due to injury after his Wrestlemania moment in 2014 AND do the same thing with the Intercontinental belt a year later. The WWE didn't go with Bryan because they knew he was a ticking time bomb in terms of his concussions and nerve problems. Putting the biggest belt in the company AGAIN after what happened the previous year would have been absolutely foolish. Also, legitimately, there would be no goddamned reason at all why he should have taken down Lesnar at that particular time. None whatsoever. Like forget suspension of disbelief - you'd have to have the comprehension of a two year old to think that would be realistic, even for a scripted sports entertainment event.

So they went for Reigns and everyone was so butthurt that they (probably) called that audible and had Seth cash in - which was one of the best Wrestlemania moments ever. Do not even try to deny it. Better than Bryan repeating the same story as the previous year by far and certainly better than simply crowning Reigns. But then we were left with Rollins' absolutely snooze-inducing reign. So I guess it was what it was.

I don't care if his promo skills aren't up to par. PLENTY of top guys had subpar promo skills. Bret Hart was generic as fuck and threw in his "best there is..." catchphrase delivered with the charisma of a cucumber. Lance Storm has more charisma. Hell, even Daniel "OMG BEST EVA" Bryan gave shit promos. He had a hell of a lot of skill in the ring and was over as hell, but don't act like he was some kind of savior on the mic.

His move set is not as diverse as others, but he had exciting offense, hardly ever botches, and sells like a champ. Every time I see criticism of his ring work I laugh because it's a shallow complaint.

He's pushed too hard. I agree. But EVERY TOP GUY is pushed too hard. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Backlund, Sammartino, Goldberg, etc. They're SUPPOSED to overcome the odds. They're SUPPOSED to eat a bunch of finishers and still win. They're SUPPOSED to not lose cleanly. That's why they're top guys. Show me a top guy who wasn't pushed too hard and I'll tell you they weren't a top guy.

Reigns' only problem is that smarks don't accept him, and their negative attitude towards him passes on somewhat to the casual fans. Reigns only started getting booed when smarky towns booed him. Then other people thought it was the cool thing to do. And, given that the non-acceptance is based on a childish grudge, we're kind of at an impasse with him because there's no likely impetus that will ever make smarks cheer him, lest they admit they were just being douchey. I keep hearing that they should turn him heel so that people can get behind him. That's dumb. They only thing turning him heel accomplishes is giving smarks a way to cheer for him (and a way out of the impasse) because it's cool to cheer for heels. Then they can be like "oh, he's doing such a good job as a heel. He'll be great when they turn him face again." How'd that work out for Rollins? I'm still waiting for Rollins to literally turn because it seems like he just woke up one day and was a face. I mean, he isn't insulting the crowd anymore, but really, what else is different about him from his heel run? Not much.

I get kinda upset with how the Reigns situation has turned out because every time he shows up on TV, smarks get all offended. It's their own fault too, but they actively try to make everyone else hate him and be miserable to see him. It's stupid after a while.

Did Cena seem affected at all by AJ's trash talk or did he brush it off and fire back?

Did AJ seem affected at all by Cena's trash talk and did he get an opportunity to fire back?

At this point, wrestling "fans" who shit on everything Roman does are simply holding on to a grudge that started back in 2015 when they thought Daniel Bryan should have won the Rumble. You know, the same Daniel Bryan who had to forfeit his World Championship due to injury after his Wrestlemania moment in 2014 AND do the same thing with the Intercontinental belt a year later. The WWE didn't go with Bryan because they knew he was a ticking time bomb in terms of his concussions and nerve problems. Putting the biggest belt in the company AGAIN after what happened the previous year would have been absolutely foolish. Also, legitimately, there would be no goddamned reason at all why he should have taken down Lesnar at that particular time. None whatsoever. Like forget suspension of disbelief - you'd have to have the comprehension of a two year old to think that would be realistic, even for a scripted sports entertainment event.

So they went for Reigns and everyone was so butthurt that they (probably) called that audible and had Seth cash in - which was one of the best Wrestlemania moments ever. Do not even try to deny it. Better than Bryan repeating the same story as the previous year by far and certainly better than simply crowning Reigns. But then we were left with Rollins' absolutely snooze-inducing reign. So I guess it was what it was.

I don't care if his promo skills aren't up to par. PLENTY of top guys had subpar promo skills. Bret Hart was generic as fuck and threw in his "best there is..." catchphrase delivered with the charisma of a cucumber. Lance Storm has more charisma. Hell, even Daniel "OMG BEST EVA" Bryan gave shit promos. He had a hell of a lot of skill in the ring and was over as hell, but don't act like he was some kind of savior on the mic.

His move set is not as diverse as others, but he had exciting offense, hardly ever botches, and sells like a champ. Every time I see criticism of his ring work I laugh because it's a shallow complaint.

He's pushed too hard. I agree. But EVERY TOP GUY is pushed too hard. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Backlund, Sammartino, Goldberg, etc. They're SUPPOSED to overcome the odds. They're SUPPOSED to eat a bunch of finishers and still win. They're SUPPOSED to not lose cleanly. That's why they're top guys. Show me a top guy who wasn't pushed too hard and I'll tell you they weren't a top guy.

Reigns' only problem is that smarks don't accept him, and their negative attitude towards him passes on somewhat to the casual fans. Reigns only started getting booed when smarky towns booed him. Then other people thought it was the cool thing to do. And, given that the non-acceptance is based on a childish grudge, we're kind of at an impasse with him because there's no likely impetus that will ever make smarks cheer him, lest they admit they were just being douchey. I keep hearing that they should turn him heel so that people can get behind him. That's dumb. They only thing turning him heel accomplishes is giving smarks a way to cheer for him (and a way out of the impasse) because it's cool to cheer for heels. Then they can be like "oh, he's doing such a good job as a heel. He'll be great when they turn him face again." How'd that work out for Rollins? I'm still waiting for Rollins to literally turn because it seems like he just woke up one day and was a face. I mean, he isn't insulting the crowd anymore, but really, what else is different about him from his heel run? Not much.

I get kinda upset with how the Reigns situation has turned out because every time he shows up on TV, smarks get all offended. It's their own fault too, but they actively try to make everyone else hate him and be miserable to see him. It's stupid after a while.

Ask yourself this, though: Who cares what somebody who likes Roman Reigns thinks?

+1

Here, go to http://www.prowrestlingonly.com

It's a better place with people who still criticize WWE when the WWE does dumb things, but for valid reasons.

GunBR

Austin was the most over guy with the crowd when they gave him the big push (win Rumble and beat Shawn at Mania)
Cena got over with his hip hop gimmick, won the US title and then later got a push to the main event
And the same can be said about the rest

All of your examples got pushed to the moon because the crowd loved them. Reigns never get over during his single run, there's no reason for him to be THE GUY™ of the company

Hey, I just like to aim people toward a place with better conversation and a more open mind. There's only so much you can do to open people's eyes when they're glued closed.

Hey, hows it going? Doing good? I'm doing good too.

An announcement: maybe you havent heard, but this is a fake tv show.

Thanks

Hey, I just like to aim people toward a place with better conversation and a more open mind. There's only so much you can do to open people's eyes when they're glued closed.

6kWGm2b.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So they flew Tyler Bates all the way from the UK over just to have him show up at NXT and do his queen wave to the crowd?

Everything about this Rumble is confusing and dumb.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Actually it's because Roman sucks. It really doesn't matter specifically why he sucks or who is responsible for his sucking. People don't like him because he's not entertaining. That's it.

Forkball

I actually like Roman Reigns, but he is still feeling the fallout from his early push and overall poor booking. His wellness violation didn't help fan perception either. I'm not one of those "He should turn heel!" guys either. I think Reigns has a lot of value as a face. But I'm stretching to think of storylines that made him interesting and he's been champ THREE times. By the time he won the title, people weren't ecstatic to see him finally win. There was a feeling of "Let's just get this over with." They had to go to the dead horse that is heel McMahon/Trips to get fans on his side.

psortonwontherumble

So they flew Tyler Bates all the way from the UK over just to have him show up at NXT and do his queen wave to the crowd?

Everything about this Rumble is confusing and dumb.

They brought Bates in to show up at NXT to get the people who watch NXT to watch the UK Tournament + new UK show. Even less people watched the UK Tournament than the CWC. Sending Bates out there, even in a smark-ish crowd would've been death.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's so simple, he's a mediocre to bad wrestler undeserving of his five year long push.

People don't like Reigns because he did absolutely nothing to deserve a top guy run other than being handsome, 6'4" and muscular.

Lots of other guys fitting that bill have gotten that run but they also managed to get over before they turned into Boring Invincible Heroes.

janoDX

HURR DURR ROMAN RAIGNS DOESN'T DESERVE THE HATE

So, you need a reminder how a push down our throats with Roman Reigns works in 2014-2015

- He gets injured and can't work at SummerSlam and he's out until January.
- "Let's remind our people every, single, fuckin', week that Roman exists and he's recovering for his big return" (meanwhile Bálor got injured but they haven't shown jack shit about his recovery or he gets a little mention every 3 months)
- Interview with him about his groin injury.
- WINS SUPERSTAR OF THE YEAR AFTER HE WAS INJURED SINCE AUGUST AND DID NOTHING.
- Let's make him win the Rumble in the most stupid way, hey let's make a scenario where Roman could appear in the Rumble and be treated as hero.
- Let's have The fuckin' Rock endorse him even if he thinks that another guy should be pushed to the top and not Roman because fuck you I'm Vincent Kennedy McMahon and I tell you what to like.

I mean, there's so much wrong on his 2014-2015 push that it damaged his image, hard. Take into consideration that they almost saved him by the end of 2015 with the HHH beatdown and bringing him back as the silent badass for 2 weeks only to ruin him again around Rumble time.

People don't like Reigns because he did absolutely nothing to deserve a top guy run other than being handsome, 6'4" and muscular.

"Deserve" has nothing to do with being the top guy in pro wrestling. You become the top guy by the booker being convinced you'll draw that booker the most money. Period.

It doesn't matter how many dumb bumps you've taken at indy shows. Prove you can draw money for the guy writing the checks. That's why frankly, AJ has been the guy for Smackdown. Because he's proven to Vince he can draw.

- WINS SUPERSTAR OF THE YEAR AFTER HE WAS INJURED SINCE AUGUST AND DID NOTHING.

Meltzer and other people have repeatedly said that votes like that are a shoot.

daemissary

I wish that they debuted Joe at 30 and had him wreck shit but I actually appreciate the trolling of Roman at 30.

Like that isn't the WWE just being tone deaf like the Rey Mysterio at 30 Rumble. That is them intentionally saying, hey fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom