• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

Jackpot

Banned
Heh new game created in 2013 requires good rig to run. Shocking news.
When SC will hit it will be the same.

/s

Don't be so disingenuous. The lack of impact graphics settings have on fps shows it's down to bad optimisation.

Dude it is space game. Most of your time is in space. If you expect them to create Mass Effect space stations you are in wrong place.

Do you even have the game yet?

epmode

Sounds like we may have to wait a few months before this is OK for extended play. The devs were reportedly working on this release up to the last minute. It was probably rushed out and it'll be fixed up with the money from suckers that bought early.

Guess I should have known better than to preorder an X game.

Perkel

Banned
Lol, really dude? People with rigs that are higher than the recommended specs are having trouble running the game at over 30fps. Turning the graphics from high to low barely have an effect on the framerate for many people.
Also, I've read about some who can run the game better than others, even with a worse rig.
Don't pretend the game is just hard to run because it looks nice, it's obvious that there are issues.

Issues ? yes. But it is 2013 game. Even with it being DX9 game you should expect 2013 hardware standard to run this game.

As i said earlier even X3 with mod like XTC with several times worse graphics could choke on good hardware especially with maximum expanded world.

Initial Feeling

+ Controller Support YAY
+ Exploration and Gameplay YAY YAY

- Auto Roll Adjustments boo
- Inner Station Layout and NPC AI boo

--

2 Hour Recorded Live Stream here:

http://www.twitch.tv/mrluchador/b/479910024

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz
CPU Cooling: Stock Fan
Motherboard: ASUS P6T
Video Card: GTX460 (4gb)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Nothing amazing, and I've had a smooth experience with decent graphics.

Perkel

Banned
Do you even have the game yet?

Currently downloading. But i played shit ton of space games (almost all of them) + X3 TC and Albion Prelude.

Both X3 TC and AP with ton of ships on screen + stations FPS can drop a lot. Even if they moved ton of things to stations via fps free roam it still will be most of the time space game. Especially later when you will have empire to menage.

NPC AI boo

Could you expand it ?

Could you expand it ?

The space AI is fine-good, can't really argue with it so far. But the Space Station AI is not there at all. Granted it's perhaps a petty thing to pick up on considering the nature of the X game is Space.

But the guards and NPCs inside the stations are just placeholder models from the 90s with dialogue options. You can loot (steal) items from the stations and NPC guards do nothing about it - there is no penalty.
Also you can hack consoles with no penalty... again in front of security guards.

Hopefully that's something which is patched and expanded on in the future, but at the moment it's somewhat distracting and makes the station exploration a bit shallow.

A little rougher looking than I thought it would be, but I guess you can't expect AAA production values from a mid-tier game.

Lack of options is pretty disappointing though. No texture settings, and the fov seems a little low unless it's just the unnecessarily claustrophobic cockpit.

kafiend

Shamelessly stolen from Steam forums. Might help some of you folks with frame rate issues.

Actual work around, according to a DEV post on Reddit is as follows: Turn down the LOD setting to 0 and the viewdistance to 30, this will give you a very big performance boost. Shaders and ssao dont eat that much. Hope that helps.

kafiend

The space AI is fine-good, can't really argue with it so far. But the Space Station AI is not there at all. Granted it's perhaps a petty thing to pick up on considering the nature of the X game is Space.

But the guards and NPCs inside the stations are just placeholder models from the 90s with dialogue options. You can loot (steal) items from the stations and NPC guards do nothing about it - there is no penalty.
Also you can hack consoles with no penalty... again in front of security guards.

Hopefully that's something which is patched and expanded on in the future, but at the moment it's somewhat distracting and makes the station exploration a bit shallow.

I'll be happier when any requirement to enter stations at all gets modded out.

Anyone shed some more light on getting this to work? I entered a few IPs into the proxy settings in chrome, nothing works. Just stops me being able to load pages

Install the Switchysharp chrome plugin, then use one of the proxy servers in the list. Setup a Poland profile inside switchysharp, then it will not interfere with your main connection, and you can quickly switch between them.

Most of the proxy servers will not work, you need to use trial and error to find one that is.

83.238.94.183 : 8080 was the one I used earlier to get the game.

Once you have installed switchysharp it will all come very clear :)

R1CHO

What is the cpu usage? Maybe is a very cpu intensive game with all the simulation that it's suppose to be doing at all times?

Munin

For those guys, working with what I assume is a rather low budget, I am amazed they even implemented it at all. I just hope that mods and further patches/expansions could eventually bring it to something nice if the foundation is there.

so as imagined, the space stations are pretty much just window dressing?

Are there any with windows? Are they all the same, or obvious reused rooms rearranged around, or all unique?

Kinthalis

Banned
I'm a bargain hunter as much as the nexyt guy, but I can't help but laugh at the irony.

"Man this game has such low production values!" - said while changing proxy settings in order to buy the game at a heavy discount from another country where the game is priced differently due to the state of the market there.

Guys, these types of games are pirated ot hell and back, and purchased by most at the bargain bin. What do you expect, exactly? AAA quality development... ona shoestring budget?

You want AAA space sims? Say so. With your wallet.

fruiteater

Neo Member
game looks great but should i even bother with it, looking at the system req i dont even meet minimum.

i3 (3 ghz) 4 GB ram and a 260 GTX

For those guys, working with what I assume is a rather low budget, I am amazed they even implemented it at all. I just hope that mods and further patches/expansions could eventually bring it to something nice if the foundation is there.

I hope that's the case, and with this being EGOSOFT (who have a great record with mod support and post-release patching) I'm somewhat confident this will happen at some point.

so as imagined, the space stations are pretty much just window dressing?

Are there any with windows? Are they all the same, or obvious reused rooms rearranged around, or all unique?

They're all the same/format depending on what type of station you dock at.

Wierd frame rate issues, 2 x GTX780 (2560x1600) gives me 14-16FPS (with the Nvidia inspector SLI profile)

I get 40-45fps with SLI disabled, CPU is 4770k and 16GB RAM.

Think I will put this on the back burner for a while, still have to finish Far Cry 3 anyway (yes I'm slow)

Issues ? yes. But it is 2013 game. Even with it being DX9 game you should expect 2013 hardware standard to run this game.

As i said earlier even X3 with mod like XTC with several times worse graphics could choke on good hardware especially with maximum expanded world.

So the recommended specs are incorrect? If a game needs top of the range hardware to run it at even the lowest settings, I'd expect that game to look amazing at low settings.
The game looks nice, but the graphics are hardly better than anything else out there. The interiors and character models are also pretty bad.

The game is just badly optimized, and I'll buy it once it has been patched.

KPJZKC

My first impressions aren't exactly great...

I'm really hating the controller menu system, hoping there's an alternative/hotkey system for keyboard? It's slow and unresponsive, and to top it off, LS input to select menu items continues even after the menu closes - for instance, in highway, looking at menu, select something, and the moment you select it your ship will jump in the direction that menu item was. Annoying.

Just got first ship/freighter/whatever, and it has left me extremely worried. Aside from the system of transferring crew to the ship (going to get real, real tedious), I can't find any way to give proper orders like in X3 other than "JOIN MY FLEET!" and "YOU'RE FIRED!".

Lastly, why the fuck did they implement stealing stuff while docked? It doesn't even make sense! Docked with my own freighter, and just walked around stealing stuff - from myself! That I don't actually own :/

The game feels incredibly "arcadey" and it makes it very disappointing for me, complexity seems to have been thrown out the window in favor of a console style experience. I think I might just go back to XTC X-tended or AP with XRM for the moment, maybe with patches for improved performance it might seem better...

Egosoft :(

Don't even get me started on the fucking highway system, I have no idea where I'm going 90% of the time, just following god damn yellow markers.

Perkel

Banned
21% and i am playing right now X3 TC.

To NeoGaf Corp. strike fleet "banderas.gif"

Our |Neogaf Corp. M6-003 Cerberus "Durante"| will begin our march to history with strike on Argon Prime.
Fallowing our M6 corvette our small cruiser |NeoGaf Corp. L-001 Magnetar "Perkel"| capable of deploying 3 fighters: |NeoGaf Corp. L-001a Buster "KKRT100"| , |NeoGaf Corp. L-001b"Skeff"| and one |NeoGaf Corp. L-001c+ Nova "Rufus"| will support our corvette in its mission.

You mission will be critical. You will take our newly bought M8 Gladiator "crazy buttocks on a train" packed with Tomahawk missiles and you will try to sink Argon One pride of Argon fleet.

Mission is almost impossible. But our NeoGaf Corporation have high hopes with your involvement.

Fly safe and lets start new era with bang.

My first impressions aren't exactly great...

I'm really hating the controller menu system, hoping there's an alternative/hotkey system for keyboard? It's slow and unresponsive, and to top it off, LS input to select menu items continues even after the menu closes - for instance, in highway, looking at menu, select something, and the moment you select it your ship will jump in the direction that menu item was. Annoying.

Just got first ship/freighter/whatever, and it has left me extremely worried. Aside from the system of transferring crew to the ship (going to get real, real tedious), I can't find any way to give proper orders like in X3 other than "JOIN MY FLEET!" and "YOU'RE FIRED!".

Lastly, why the fuck did they implement stealing stuff while docked? It doesn't even make sense! Docked with my own freighter, and just walked around stealing stuff - from myself! That I don't actually own :/

The game feels incredibly "arcadey" and it makes it very disappointing for me, complexity seems to have been thrown out the window in favor of a console style experience. I think I might just go back to XTC X-tended or AP with XRM for the moment, maybe with patches for improved performance it might seem better...

Egosoft :(

Don't even get me started on the fucking highway system, I have no idea where I'm going 90% of the time, just following god damn yellow markers.

uhh that doesn't look good. I loved managing my fleet. I hope ego will upgrade that.

KPJZKC

uhh that doesn't look good. I loved managing my fleet. I hope ego will upgrade that.

I am still very VERY early in the game, of course, maybe it is locked or something? Or like certain commands were locked in X3 until you can assign a homebase :/

Perkel

Banned
I am still very VERY early in the game, of course, maybe it is locked or something? Or like certain commands were locked in X3 until you can assign a homebase :/

Maybe plot connected ? Something with ship upgrades ? I mean for example in X3 without all those upgrades for your ship you wouldn't be able to move other ships beside few simple commands.

Ego said they want players to play plot and upgrades to ship will be more or less plot connected.

lol all these people complaining about performance. I'm playing on a dang laptop and it runs great. Absolutely loving this game so far. Completely gorgeous.

dejan

Maybe plot connected ? Something with ship upgrades ? I mean for example in X3 without all those upgrades for your ship you wouldn't be able to move other ships beside few simple commands.

Ego said they want players to play plot and upgrades to ship will be more or less plot connected.
I just finished reading this (German) preview and they say that you have to slog through hours of story stuff first until veterans of the X games get to a point where they feel at home again and have all the familiar gameplay elements the series has been known for at their disposal.

I just finished reading this (German) preview and they say that you have to slog through hours of story stuff first until veterans of the X games get to a point where they feel at home again and have all the familiar gameplay elements the series has been known for at their disposal.

so this game got nintendoed then.

Perkel

Banned

yaaaay. Good

I love google translate:

But since the first part of the series was also criticized for its complexity and Bedienungseigentümlichkeiten.

.... Bedienungseigentümlichkeiten i don't know but its scary

lol all these people complaining about performance. I'm playing on a dang laptop and it runs great. Absolutely loving this game so far. Completely gorgeous.

Doesn't run great for me. 25-30 fps at 2560x1440. For some reason there's hardly any difference when I drop to 1080p. This is with AA off, shaders on normal, and those adjustments from the Steam forum.

GTX 670 OC, i5 2500K (stock), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, latest drivers, etc...

Lach

After roughly two hours my first impression.

+ Very beautiful graphics when in space
+ A lot of attention to detail on the station
+ Personally I like the new highway/super highway system but I can see it not being everyones cup of tea
+ I like that ships you own have to have a crew to operate it. I hope that later in the game there is an easier way to collect the crew than skimming stations though...

~ Walking around stations is nice but I can see it getting annoying quickly. Hope they present alternatives.

- A bit clunky...unpolished...but I don't doubt they'll roll out patches soon
- I got stuck in a menu once and had to quit
- Anoying copilot (Albion Skunk requests permission to dock)

I notice that there are a lot of people reporting issues. I was lucky to be spared but hope everyone will be able to play the game soon...

Dolor

This makes me feel a lot better now. Was getting worried that they had taken out the things that made X games good.

I've an advice, try to manual install directX from the folder of the game. Tell me if something change, because a friend of mine said that runs MUCH better after this.

Anyway, game is stucked around 30 fps but the graphic impact is amazing. They've to work, clearly, but graphic is impressive.

Perkel

Banned
This makes me feel a lot better now. Was getting worried that they had taken out the things that made X games good.

Probably it is connected to ship upgrades.

I can see why they did it though. Getting into X3 was always hard task for new people. Just getting your traders work was major task for newbies and most of the time they didn't even knew about mk3 trading software and even if they knew they didn't knew that only few stations sold it.

Looking forward to late game.

Sothpaw

I have no idea what this game is but it looks cool as fuck. Looking into it now.

Kinda funny how the consoles are releasing and everyone is shitting themselves over 1080p. And then this game comes along for us lol.

Top Bottom