• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

Perkel

Banned
Excel in space with pretty grafix.

At least the previous games were.

I would prefer calling it FPS 4X game where you can man any ship and fly yourself or even more simple for people who don't even know what is 4X or FPS:

Skyrim with Spaceships

Perkel

Banned
If this is true, I could see myself liking it long term. Still very hopeful for this.

Is the consensus that it is better on a controller or M/KB?

Game was created with controller in mind. Its space sim game.
yes controller would be ideal but K/MB should also be good but lil bit worse experience.

I mean even X3TC with controller is better than with K/MB

edit:

BTW Egosoft mentioned in their redit AMA that they have ZONES system in place (but not used in 1.0 yet) that will probably mean taking whole systems or creating nation/corporation controlled sectors like in X3TC/AP mod.

53% ;-;

edit2:

huh DDR4 in just month or two. Gonna wait with my spec upgrade.

KPJZKC

Please please please tell me that I can unlock/buy an autopilot. I only just noticed that I don't have one now, and it's killing me.

gotee12

While I completely agree with optimization issues, it is awfully pretty and definitely scratching that space-explorer itch...

edit: btw is anyone else getting the "cracked moon" sky box almost everywhere they go?

Xander51

Played for just about 30 minutes so far and I love it. It's so much easier to get into than the previous X games, and the scope and scale are wonderful. I will never tire of seamlessly docking at stations and then wandering around on them.

Perkel

Banned
They will have been working on that ever since the gold master was finalized, not just since lunch time

And knowing them, they will work on this game for next few years even after new iterations.

I mean for example Both X3TC and X3AP reached 3.0 version from initial 1.0.

Hey GAF. Is this game worth my time... AND... where are the reviews?

Probably in a week or two.

1) Game is not from AAA studio or publisher
2) It is very very very complex and packed game. Real game will be end game where you will manage your space empire of fleets and stations even cities. They need time to review it.

edit:

Looks like egosoft site is still dead. Probably members want to log in their steam keys at same time

KDR_11k

Got a retail copy since every GB saved is helpful on a 3MBit connection. Patches are still downloading though.

I recall XBTF getting a "buggiest game of the year" award from the PCGames mag back in the day. Overall I just learned that German games are usually ambitious and very buggy.

Dolor

If you're playing this game today thinking this is all this game will ever be and that's disappointing to you, you're doing it wrong.

Egosoft has demonstrated over the years that they support their games by making serious attempts to improve the games in ways their community wants.

Not saying it's ok for the game to be buggy/bad, but this isn't EA we're dealing with. They have a lot fewer resources for QA likely than a AAA publisher, but they will continue to support their game and not just drop it like a bad habit if it has a poorer launch.

kafiend

My first impressions aren't exactly great...

I'm really hating the controller menu system, hoping there's an alternative/hotkey system for keyboard? It's slow and unresponsive, and to top it off, LS input to select menu items continues even after the menu closes - for instance, in highway, looking at menu, select something, and the moment you select it your ship will jump in the direction that menu item was. Annoying.

Just got first ship/freighter/whatever, and it has left me extremely worried. Aside from the system of transferring crew to the ship (going to get real, real tedious), I can't find any way to give proper orders like in X3 other than "JOIN MY FLEET!" and "YOU'RE FIRED!".

Lastly, why the fuck did they implement stealing stuff while docked? It doesn't even make sense! Docked with my own freighter, and just walked around stealing stuff - from myself! That I don't actually own :/

The game feels incredibly "arcadey" and it makes it very disappointing for me, complexity seems to have been thrown out the window in favor of a console style experience. I think I might just go back to XTC X-tended or AP with XRM for the moment, maybe with patches for improved performance it might seem better...

Egosoft :(

Don't even get me started on the fucking highway system, I have no idea where I'm going 90% of the time, just following god damn yellow markers.

As far as I'm concerned this is a beautiful, broken thing.

Unplug the controller if you require mouse control <- nothing sends me into a fury faster than that.

Stunning to look at. No complaints in space.

The ship you fly is responsive and flying around is nice.

As for this bullshit idea of doing flybys of every single fucking Icon you see scattered all over station sections to get information/trade deals/discounts/info on potential crew members? Die Die Die!

I can't seem to find a way to access relevant information once I have it. I worked out how to open the info panel - which by itself is incredibly annoying to keep spinning left to see it. Once in there I can't seem to work out how to do very much that's meaningful.

Anyone tell me how to locate potential crew members again and set a destination to their location? The game wants me to hire an engineer and I remember seeing one in a panel but can't find it again.

Finally, - do I honestly have to dock somewhere, wander around a station - take part in some meaningless small-talk mini game while talking - hire someone - re-enter my ship - fly to another location - dock - leave pilot seat - move off my ship - open a menu - tell the person I just hired to get the fuck off my ship and work where I'm fucking standing?

Irritated? yup you bet.

Jag

Finally, - do I honestly have to dock somewhere, wander around a station - take part in some meaningless small-talk mini game while talking - hire someone - re-enter my ship - fly to another location - dock - leave pilot seat - move off my ship - open a menu - tell the person I just hired to get the fuck off my ship and work where I'm fucking standing?

Irritated? yup you bet.

Oh. Ugh. I was hoping they would have shortcuts for this kind of stuff.

Perkel

Banned

Irritated? yup you bet.

There is strong suggestion in previews (german article) that those things will be "unlocked" later in game via probably ship upgrades.

Something comparable was in X3 TC/AP where you couldn't really do anything without ship upgrades like Trade software extension.

So for now lets play the game and see how it will turn out.

IMO: They want to get new players into the game via plot. And with plot to get them accustomed gradually to features of game. Probably same thing with docking each station and walking on your feet to get done something. Probably later in game you will have option to buy shortcuts.

egosoft knows that people will be playing empires end game so walking or docking each station without shortcuts is out of question.

Got to spend some time with the game this morning. I am really liking what I've seen of the game so far. I'm about two hours in, just kind of wandering around and following the plot missions. Performance wise, I played for about an hour before the game locked up on me, and leading up to the lock up the frame rate was unstable. After that though I was able to try the set LOD to 0 and view distance to 30 trick. The game now runs fairly well and I've yet to experience any other issues. I can tell already that this game is going to be taking up a lot of my time. This is my first X game and I am really looking forward to learning more about the game. Controller support is fantastic for me as sit in my giant comfy chair with my feet propped up playing this on the TV.

Anyone else having problems with the shitty Deliver Energy Crystals quest?

My Freighter is right next to the damn station but it will not move to deliver them.

Perkel

Banned
98%

tumblr_m8g6yp01hr1r23lnc.gif

Dennis

Banned
I am about to pull the trigger so someone reassure me that when it comes to mods it is OK to get the Steam version?

I fall in love. The only cons is performance, but I think they will solve early, it seems like a bug, the game don't scale with any settings.

It's a big step ahead and this is only the 1.0.

Dennis

Banned
GAF, halp!

I am about to buy this game but I still haven't finished BF2 and COD: Ghost, and I wanna get AC: Black Flag as well. Oh, and I still have to get started on Total War: Rome II.

I can't handle this much game.

GAF, halp!

I am about to buy this game but I still haven't finished BF2 and COD: Ghost, and I wanna get AC: Black Flag as well. Oh, and I still have to get started on Total War: Rome II.

Just ignore all those others... you know you want this game now. >.>

Did that help?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GAF, halp!

I'm in the same boat. I've never been a fan of this series, but I watched the launch trailer yesterday and next thing I know Steam is pre-loading it.

=(

Shaldome

GAF, halp!

Well COD shouldn't take that long, should it? ;)
I think it would depend why you would want it. I got it because there are not much space games out there and this will get my fix for some time.
I don't know youre X history but if it's just a new interesting game you might as well wait until the first few patches are out fixing the problems it seems to have.
Although we would miss out on your pics/gifs in tat case. ;)

Munin

GAF, halp!

Wait a few months for this to get better (or perhaps even really good), play the others in the meantime. Do not see the problem here

Despera

Banned
GAF, halp!

Those other games are a safe bet... Time to be a man and take a chance!

Edit: Me? Well... I'll just wait for a couple of patches before diving in.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm in the same boat. I've never been a fan of this series, but I watched the launch trailer yesterday and next thing I know Steam is pre-loading it.

=(

That's where I would be if I were at home, even with a PS4 staring me in the face. But I think I can manage to hold off for awhile longer. I've been wanting a nice looking Space Sim for a long time.

KPJZKC

The more I play Rebirth the less I like it, the interface for just about everything is driving me mad. So, so inconvenient. At least with X3 once you got used to it you could do almost everything relatively quickly (aside from some specialized stuff like wingman/wings), but this is just awful.

Just throwing another subjective complaint on the pile! I'm not very fond of the travel system (highways) in this at all - yes, in X3 travel was slow and mostly boring (even with SETA) but at least stuff could happen! You might stumble across a pirate/police skirmish, or find dropped loot from an earlier firefight. Ships being sold, bla bla bla etc. But on the highways there's just nothing, just seemingly random ships (no idea if they are random or not, not sure I believe Egosoft 100% with regards to ships/destinations. Yes, you can see hostile ships and knock them out of the highway, but so far I have seen no real use for that :s

Perkel

Banned
I am about to pull the trigger so someone reassure me that when it comes to mods it is OK to get the Steam version?

There is only steam version, there is no other version than Steam.
All mods will work with Steam version

edit:

didn't really help reasons in one of posts below

edit:

I fiddled with it more and i have stable 30 with good view distance.

There is only steam version, there is no other version than Steam.
All mods will work with Steam version

edit:

people if you have terrible FPS change LOD to 0 and view distance to minimum and work with it from that point and restart game.

I had at start like 15 FPS and after than i have now almost 50.

edit:

I fiddled with it more and i have stable 30 with good view distance.

is 0 LoD playable, are other stuff popping up a few feet away like Turok 64?

Raptomex

So is this game as ridiculously complex as previous titles? As long as there's an easier way to figure out what to do I'm all for learning. Im loving that the cockpit is back.

Perkel

Banned
is 0 LoD playable, are other stuff popping up a few feet away like Turok 64?

yes. It is very playable. I upped my viewing distance to 50 and i can see a lot and i have like 10-20 lod and i don't see difference close to stations.

So is this game as ridiculously complex as previous titles? As long as there's an easier way to figure out what to do I'm all for learning. Im loving that the cockpit is back.

Yes it is complex game but Rebirth plotline should help you a lot in understanding game. Something like tutorial.

Also they were not joking with 8GB of needed ram. I have 4 GB and at start of game in 1600x900 with almost anything on max (beside lod and further view distance) it is 3,3GB.

edit:

few things:
-Main theme is fucking amazing
- ship feel is amazing
- speed is good no longer you feel that you don't move at all like in earlier games without SETA
- Character co-pilot model is kind of bad as people mentioned but ships are 1st class same as space

Typomancer

Neo Member
I am a newcomer to X. Game is decent so far, just played a bit. Immediate impressions:

+ Space is awesome
+ Interiors look good
+ The space highway minigame is actually pretty neat
+ Using a controller is pleasurable enough (using a DS4 currently)
+ Dogfighting is alright, cannot wait to see how bigger fights can be

- Interface text can sometimes be needlessly tiny and hard to read
- No anisotropic filtering (it is disabled/grayed-out for me for some reason)
- The character models are ugly
- Three female NPCs in a row have the same voice and the same lines
- Game feels very poorly optimized at the moment
- No autopilot or cruise control (yet?)

Also, I turned off auto roll but I do not know how to roll at all with either a controller or keyboard/mouse. It is sort of weird and I feel like being able to roll with one of the analog sticks or by moving the mouse would have felt better than strafing. So I have turned auto roll back on for the time being.

KPJZKC

I am a newcomer to X. Game is decent so far, just played a bit. Immediate impressions:

+ Space is awesome
+ Interiors look good
+ The space highway minigame is actually pretty neat
+ Using a controller is pleasurable enough (using a DS4 currently)
+ Dogfighting is alright, cannot wait to see how bigger fights can be

- Interface text can sometimes be needlessly tiny and hard to read
- No anisotropic filtering (it is disabled/grayed-out for me for some reason)
- The character models are ugly
- Three female NPCs in a row have the same voice and the same lines
- Game feels very poorly optimized at the moment
- No autopilot or cruise control (yet?)

Also, I turned off auto roll but I do not know how to roll at all with either a controller or keyboard/mouse. It is sort of weird and I feel like being able to roll with one of the analog sticks or by moving the mouse would have felt better than strafing. So I have turned auto roll back on for the time being.

Roll is controlled by 'Q' and 'E' on keyboard - not sure if it's possible to do it on controller.

MedIC86

Ugh game is in pretty rough shape tech wise. Im not really getting good fps while im above the recommend specs. Maybe some patches will fix it in the near future.

Top Bottom