• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

SwolBro

Banned
Does anyone know when Scuf will providing replacement parts for this thing? I can't believe they wouldn't be ready for the holiday season with some third party paddles/thumbsticks/dpad replacements.

shanafan

Does anyone know when Scuf will providing replacement parts for this thing? I can't believe they wouldn't be ready for the holiday season with some third party paddles/thumbsticks/dpad replacements.

Do you remember how much backlash Microsoft originally got when a $150 controller was announced? I doubt they would have wanted to go in deep with a product that didn't start off on the right foot based on public perception.

Haines

Banned
Ok, i just got my controller. Got it through good deal upgrading to the elite bundle, so in the end the controller burned for 100 which i was comfortable with, i needed this thing in my life.

I havent read much, so i need to get caught up.

I updated it, wirelessly. What is the usb cord for?

Is there any known issues i should check the controller for?

What is the most widely preffered set up so far? I havent changed it from the way it came. I see some long sticks, and a normal dpad were included.

What about button mapping and stuff? I assume most people just put the bumpers and stick buttons into the rear bumper things? Do people like the presets?

When im trying to set up the controller it keeps losing connection or something, bc it keeps telling me to connect a controller ro get started

Pakesaker

I remember when the controller was initially revealed there was talk of being able to share, view, download popular community control schemes. It would be nice if there was a section where you could search by game and maybe even filter by two or four paddles etc.

I love the controller so much, but I spend a bunch of time tinkering and have trouble envisioning what a really great control scheme would be for certain games. If there was a way for the community to vote and use other players control schemes that would be great.

sangreal

Ok, i just got my controller. Got it through good deal upgrading to the elite bundle, so in the end the controller burned for 100 which i was comfortable with, i needed this thing in my life.

I havent read much, so i need to get caught up.

I updated it, wirelessly. What is the usb cord for?

Is there any known issues i should check the controller for?

What is the most widely preffered set up so far? I havent changed it from the way it came. I see some long sticks, and a normal dpad were included.

What about button mapping and stuff? I assume most people just put the bumpers and stick buttons into the rear bumper things? Do people like the presets?

When im trying to set up the controller it keeps losing connection or something, bc it keeps telling me to connect a controller ro get started

the usb cord is just because some pro gamers like to play wired to eliminate any chance at latency/interference

some people have said their analog sticks don't move smoothly. haven't seen any other common complaints in this thread

Chorazin

I haven't used any of the presets, and there really aren't that many anyways. There are a ton of ways you can use the paddles, it's all a matter of experimentation in every game. For Fallout 4, I'm only using the top two paddles for Sprint and Jump (which were stick clicks before). Doesn't really need much else for me!

Lima

Called MS support today. If I send my Elite controller in I will get it back sometime in January.

Big fucking lol. Amazon would send me a new one immediately but of course they don't have any. God damn.

Spasm

Seems like availability is better now? Anyone still looking for one? I have an extra one cause I just picked up the Elite console.

SwolBro

Banned
I remember when the controller was initially revealed there was talk of being able to share, view, download popular community control schemes. It would be nice if there was a section where you could search by game and maybe even filter by two or four paddles etc.

I love the controller so much, but I spend a bunch of time tinkering and have trouble envisioning what a really great control scheme would be for certain games. If there was a way for the community to vote and use other players control schemes that would be great.

I believe this is all coming. They keep saying all this stuff, stuff that was in the video and talked about are coming very soon.

Hatchtag

Banned
Sorta available at Gamestop.com. Sorta because the standalone controller isn't, but one with the charging stand for $190 is. If you wanted that anyways, it's a goodish deal kinda not really. However, if you buy something else with it, you'll probably hit $200 and can use the FALL15 code to save $20.

Woot, my Controller just shipped! Can't freaking wait!

Star Wars Battlefront and Rise of the Tomb Raider are going to be fun to test this baby out!

Yup. My gamestop one shipped already. I did one day shipping because I have no patience so it's getting delivered today.

HYPE!

Now to cancel my MS store one.

Owari

The thing that sucks about the Elite controller and probably makes it a deal breaker for many is the inability to actually map the paddles. What the hell, Microsoft? Not everyone is using this for Halo. I'd like full control of my $200 controller, please.

The thing that sucks about the Elite controller and probably makes it a deal breaker for many is the inability to actually map the paddles. What the hell, Microsoft? Not everyone is using this for Halo. I'd like full control of my $200 controller, please.

Huh? You can map the paddles to any button.

I just heard Amazon isn't shipping more of these until Spring 2016!

Hopefully this success sends a message to Sony that they need to follow suit with their own pro controller.

Owari

Huh? You can map the paddles to any button.
Useless. I want to be able to map the paddles to keys on my keyboard, you know, like every other controller ever in history. Those paddles are sweet, and should be properly utilized. Instead they're just A and X replacements.

If you use the Steam Controller you'll realize how crappy the Elite controller PC support is.

Jin

You can map the paddles. Have you use the app?

Edit: Nvm you said keyboard.

Owari

You can map the paddles. Have you use the app?

Edit: Nvm you said keyboard.

The problem is, they heavily marketed this device as a X1/PC controller (the PC dongle released on the same day)

Then basically zero PC support. Microsoft dropped the ball yet again.

Owari

No this is not marketed as a PC device lol.
Why is there a PC app specifically (badly) designed for it, then?

At that price, it's downright stupid there isn't proper PC support. It would literally take Microsoft 15 minutes to implement proper paddle mapping on PC. But they probably wont do it, cause "lol PC? what is paddle mapping"

Sorry, I'm just disappointed my expensive toy doesn't work the way it was advertised.

Lima

How is it not proper? I don't think there is any game out on PC that has controller support that makes you reach for your keyboard to press additional buttons. So being able to map controller buttons to a paddle is all it needs to do.

The paddles were originally designed by Scuf for one thing and that is not having to take off the thumb of the right stick to do things like jumping, reloading, crouching etc.

It's your fault tbh for expecting something this controller was never going to do.

Owari

How is it not proper? I don't think there is any game out on PC that has controller support that makes you reach for your keyboard to press additional buttons. So being able to map controller buttons to a paddle is all it needs to do.

The paddles were originally designed by Scuf for one thing and that is not having to take off the thumb of the right stick to do things like jumping, reloading, crouching etc.

It's your fault tbh for expecting something this controller was never going to do.

Seriously? Almost every PC game has more keyboard commands than Gamepad commands. I can't think of a single game that /wouldn't/ be optimized with proper mapping support. Just because you might be used to console games which normally don't give you many options, doesn't mean PC games aren't plagued with the same problem. Hell, that's the reason most people prefer PC over Console, because a keyboard has infinite more commands than a gamepad. The Elte could have closed that gap, but Microsoft chose not to because "lol but halo lol"

When they say the paddles are mappable and the controller works on PC, that's false advertising. They should have said "Mappable paddles, but only to the buttons lol"

What's the point of a controller with 4 extra input options if you can't even use them? This controller is useless for anyone who doesn't play FPS games. Microsoft shutting off half their market for no reason other than "we saved 15 minutes of programming lol"

Damn... well I guess I'll be using this as a normal controller on my PC until they fix the half baked app. That's kind of dissapointing. But it's generally just a better controller right? What can I do on PC with this to make it a better experience than a normal Xbone controller?

SwolBro

Banned
Ok, well apparently the stick sensitivity curves are all fucked https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...ix-elite-controller-stick-sensitivity-mapping

Fix elite controller stick sensitivity mapping

THERE IS A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW WITH THE STICK SENSITIVITY CURVES. All curves other than default give anisotropic input patterns. The issue is blatantly obvious in the NXOE Xbox accessories app. To observe the phenomenon I am describing, apply any stick sensitivity curve other than default and move the stick in circles at full tilt. The white and green circles should be equidistant, regardless of the direction the stick is pointing.

What does that mean?
If the stick is at full tilt, the mapped (transformed) input varies with direction. The input magnitude should only depend on tilt angle, not direction.

Why is this happening?
The thumbsticks are actually two linear analog inputs that are combined later to make 2d directional input. The natural coordinate system for this setup would be polar, but the mapping takes place in Cartesian space. The transformation from Cartesian to polar coordinates (x,y -> r,theta) is nonlinear. Because of this inherently nonlinear behavior, the transformation of each axial inputs depends on both axial inputs (Pythagorean theorem r^2 = x^2 +y^2). The mapping should be based on r, not x or y, to remove dependence on theta.

How can this be solved?
Here's some math:
Let's define the following variables
[x, y] = vector of the x- and y-axis raw inputs
[X, Y] = vector of the transformed inputs
f(•) = mapping function (sensitivity curve)
|•| = absolute value
||•|| = 2-norm

As it currently stands, the mapping works as follows

[X, Y] = [f(x), f(y)]

This causes problems because there are many positions where

f(x^2 + y^2) =/= f(x)^2 + f(y)^2

The simplest solution is to make the mapping function input the norm of the 2-vector formed by both x- and y-axis values.

[X, Y] = f(||[x, y]||)*[x, y]

And a very simple implementation would be:

M = f(x^2 + y^2)
X = M*x
Y = M*y

This is basic control theory or functional analysis. IT IS ABSOLUTELY MIND BOGGLING THAT THIS GOT PAST QC.

User posted that with some real technical math i have no idea about. If you use anything but the regular default curve you're going to feel funny. Not sure if this is accurate or not.

It should be addressed and explained. It bothers me that stuff like this isn't explained to us, how come microsoft doesn't release a detailed video on this stuff?

Owari

Damn... well I guess I'll be using this as a normal controller on my PC until they fix the half baked app. That's kind of dissapointing. But it's generally just a better controller right? What can I do on PC with this to make it a better experience than a normal Xbone controller?
It's definitely a better controller, and a contender for the best controller I've ever used (right now Steam Controller is winning, but that's just because of the endless mapping options Valve has provided)

As far as making it better than an Xbox One controller with PC optimization, unless you're only trying to map the back paddles to the face buttons, I don't see much of an overall improvement. Being able to swap the dpad and thumb sticks is cool, but it hasn't made a discernible difference in my gameplay. Especially with the aforementioned thumb stick configuration issues.

Fwiw, MS has said all along that that kind of mapping support wouldn't be available until 2016.

I really really hope this is true. Source?

Awakened

Seriously? Almost every PC game has more keyboard commands than Gamepad commands. I can't think of a single game that /wouldn't/ be optimized with proper mapping support. Just because you might be used to console games which normally don't give you many options, doesn't mean PC games aren't plagued with the same problem. Hell, that's the reason most people prefer PC over Console, because a keyboard has infinite more commands than a gamepad. The Elte could have closed that gap, but Microsoft chose not to because "lol but halo lol"
Most PC games don't properly support gamepad and keyboard/mouse at the same time though. If you try to mix xinput and kb/m inputs games generally don't control right or at the least have onscreen prompts keep switching between buttons and keys. This is a problem games have with the Steam controller. From what I've seen many of the "best" mappings are just xinput buttons with a trackball style control over the right xinput stick. So those are limited to the same number of buttons and axis' as a 360 or One controller.

You can of course map just kb/m controls to avoid conflicts on the Steam controller. But then you lose analog movement. Assuming the Elite controller had the same ability, you'd also have worse aiming on the right stick since emulating a mouse with an analog isn't great. I don't think those caveats would be worth gaining four extra inputs.

You can get extra hotkeys using third-party software like Antimicro anyways. I use holding the Select button as a modifier to make other buttons be stuff like volume control and the Esc key. And I can hold start and press left stick to enable a mouse mode if I need desktop navigation. I won't say it wouldn't be nice to have that stuff built into the Accessories app, but I doubt they'd make it as good as Antimicro with multiple control sets and program autodetection features.

Just got my controller and it is most definitely the best controller I've ever had. And it's a distant first. I picked up my PS4 and my regular Xbox One controller and almost barfed. I think my Xbox just moved to my primary console because of this controller.

I ordered from GameStop Saturday and received it today. Super surprised that it came today as it was suppose to arrive tomorrow.

Spasm

Ok, well apparently the stick sensitivity curves are all fucked https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...ix-elite-controller-stick-sensitivity-mapping

User posted that with some real technical math i have no idea about. If you use anything but the regular default curve you're going to feel funny. Not sure if this is accurate or not.

It should be addressed and explained. It bothers me that stuff like this isn't explained to us, how come microsoft doesn't release a detailed video on this stuff?
I voted. This would explain my Halo 5 troubles, and maybe it's what 343 meant when they said they're working on a fix for 'certain controllers'.

arhra

The team are aware. Apparently it's a bit more complex than stated, but they're working on an update.

They're also working on more complete/complex mapping for PCs.

Honestly, the software side seems kinda rushed. Hopefully they'll be working on a similar schedule to the core OS team, so we see updates on a regular basis.

SwolBro

Banned
The team are aware. Apparently it's a bit more complex than stated, but they're working on an update.

They're also working on more complete/complex mapping for PCs.

Honestly, the software side seems kinda rushed. Hopefully they'll be working on a similar schedule to the core OS team, so we see updates on a regular basis.

Excellent. Yeah the software does seem rushed. That would explain why so little was explained. Hopefully an update comes out soon.

Just got mine today from GameStop, which was a shock. I ordered SW battlefront on PS4, which I'm now regretting! Guess I'll be playing some Halo 5 tonight to see how this thing works. Do I need to alter any settings, or is it simply plug and play?

shanafan

Just got mine today from GameStop, which was a shock. I ordered SW battlefront on PS4, which I'm now regretting! Guess I'll be playing some Halo 5 tonight to see how this thing works. Do I need to alter any settings, or is it simply plug and play?

CronusMAX to use it on PS4. That's how I play Battlefront ;)

I'm supposed to do a review of this thing, but I don't know whether to write it now or send my defective one away (just got it set up to go at the end of last week) and write it when I get a new one back.

I'll have to mention the sticks either way.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm supposed to do a review of this thing, but I don't know whether to write it now or send my defective one away (just got it set up to go at the end of last week) and write it when I get a new one back.

I'll have to mention the sticks either way.

Why would you write a review of a defective unit?

Top Bottom