• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Gnasher

Neo Member
Long shot I know, but - I'm in NYC and looking to pick one of these controllers up in store.

Anyone know what my best chance is? Tried multiple gamestops and best buys with no luck so far.

Thanks!

SwolBro

Banned
Long shot I know, but - I'm in NYC and looking to pick one of these controllers up in store.

Anyone know what my best chance is? Tried multiple gamestops and best buys with no luck so far.

Thanks!

You may have missed the window dude. A day or two ago you could've ordered it on best buy online, now it's sold out.

=|

this is crazy how fast these are selling or microsoft REALLY underestimated these.

raidersx

Thanks!

Try nowinstock.net they go in and out of stock periodically, ordered one this morning and it already shipped should be here by Thursday.

Madness

The worst part is, I'm afraid they're rushing to make more to capitalize on the success and for the holidays, that quality might be crap. Easy to make 40k controllers that you don't really expect to sell. Harder to make 200k controllers you know will sell based on word of mouth and availability regardless.

Sargon

Does anyone have any recommendations for Battlefront settings with this controller?

My aim feels absolutely terrible with the default settings. I am admittedly a PC gamer who rarely uses controllers and I just bought an Xbox One Elite last week, so it may just be my lack of controller experience.

SwolBro

Banned
The only part that is defective is the sticks which make a ticking noise. It still works, and functions as a controller - it's just that annoying noise.

That'd annoy me to.

The worst part is, I'm afraid they're rushing to make more to capitalize on the success and for the holidays, that quality might be crap. Easy to make 40k controllers that you don't really expect to sell. Harder to make 200k controllers you know will sell based on word of mouth and availability regardless.

I don't think ramping up production would create any type of quality difference. Probably just more shifts allocated to that production line to churn out more.

It's very annoying, especially since I don't know what's causing it and have bad OCD. My Forza controller does the same thing, and it's my main controller. The sound goes away with use, but when I leave the controller for 15-24 hours, it comes back and is there the next time I pick it up.

It's strange.

I don't know if it's just my paranoia, but it sounds like it's getting a bit louder too. I'm contemplating sending it in for a replacement as well (I have until December 5th), but I don't want to be without a controller.

SwolBro

Banned
It's very annoying, especially since I don't know what's causing it and have bad OCD. My Forza controller does the same thing, and it's my main controller. The sound goes away with use, but when I leave the controller for 15-24 hours, it comes back and is there the next time I pick it up.

It's strange.

I don't know if it's just my paranoia, but it sounds like it's getting a bit louder too. I'm contemplating sending it in for a replacement as well (I have until December 5th), but I don't want to be without a controller.

maybe it's your OCD. Or maybe your place is humid? creating some type of moist that then makes it slide against something?

Or, or maybe you're just OCD ;)

maybe it's your OCD. Or maybe your place is humid? creating some type of moist that then makes it slide against something?

Or, or maybe you're just OCD ;)

I'm gaming in a basement, which is pretty crisp and never gets damp. It's also getting colder outside here, so it's cool down there and I may need to turn my space heater on soon. So, it's definitely not sliding.

(Thanks, though)

The clicking is definitely there, though, and others have mentioned it (a couple in this thread and a few in another thread where I mentioned it.) Apparently it affects different controllers, like the Call of Duty and regular black ones.

SwolBro

Banned
The clicking is definitely there, though, and others have mentioned it (a couple in this thread and a few in another thread where I mentioned it.) Apparently it affects different controllers, like the Call of Duty and regular black ones.

What type of clicking is it though, when does it happen? i've never experienced this and i've ran through 3 different remotes since launch.

The controller is available as a bundle with the stand for $190 on gamestop.com.

I asked in-store and they said that you can simply return the stand by itself for a refund of that portion once it arrives. Free shipping too.

So for those that still can't find one, order one on gamestop.com with this bundle right now before they're sold out again, then just return the stand if you don't want it.

What type of clicking is it though, when does it happen? i've never experienced this and i've ran through 3 different remotes since launch.

When you move the joystick, it makes an audible ticking noise. Every time you move it in certain directions.

It's not like you need to have your ear up to the thing, either - it's easy to hear the ticking from 2-3 feet away while sitting.

It goes away with use, but then comes back if you leave the controller sitting for half a day or more.

Someone said it could be a broken gear inside of the sticks, which is why I'm worried and getting it replaced. They're not supposed to make that sound.

Madness

That'd annoy me to.

I don't think ramping up production would create any type of quality difference. Probably just more shifts allocated to that production line to churn out more.

It definitely happens. They probably have to make 4x the amount of controllers in the same amount of time to save costs and whatnot. So it's going from a niche, high end thing, to a more middle end thing. I don't doubt that the quality itself will drop, but human error will definitely lead to more issues. Then again, they could probably also fix any early issues.

It definitely happens. They probably have to make 4x the amount of controllers in the same amount of time to save costs and whatnot. So it's going from a niche, high end thing, to a more middle end thing. I don't doubt that the quality itself will drop, but human error will definitely lead to more issues. Then again, they could probably also fix any early issues.

Don't scare me like that, lol

Madness

Don't scare me like that, lol

I'm scared myself. I have friends who work in custom fabrication or production. One time, they were bought by a company who wanted like 5x the amount with the same amount of workers and pay per hour, but they were only given the bare minimum of extra time needed. So all of a sudden they got so stressed, he admitted the quality and care for each one was down.

Thats what I'm worried about. I still have to buy one myself. If given the choice, I'd rather have one made before this crazy rush to build more for Christmas time.

Sulik2

Used mine for a while with Tomb Raider tonight paddles are neat but I am not blown away. The taller stick attachment is really uncomfortable I thought I would like those. I'll give a spin in Halo multi-player seems like FPS is where it's features are designed to shine, but I'm not impressed so far.

sg1ds9

Neo Member
You may have missed the window dude. A day or two ago you could've ordered it on best buy online, now it's sold out.

=|

this is crazy how fast these are selling or microsoft REALLY underestimated these.

I order mine from Gamestop on 11/13/2015 and got today 11/18/2015..

Used mine for a while with Tomb Raider tonight paddles are neat but I am not blown away. The taller stick attachment is really uncomfortable I thought I would like those. I'll give a spin in Halo multi-player seems like FPS is where it's features are designed to shine, but I'm not impressed so far.

Get yourself used to using the paddles then go back to playing on an old controller. You feel handcuffed without them once you start using them a lot.

I'm working on practicing speedrunning Ori and the Blind Forest with a paddle jump and paddle spirit flame setup. It's amazing.

IMO the build quality alone justifies its existence. The paddles are just the icing.

SwolBro

Banned
I order mine from Gamestop on 11/13/2015 and got today 11/18/2015..
Awesome! it's good to see them ramp up production to meet peoples demands.

Yes, very much so. Test out various setups, you'll never know what you are going to like until you try them.

The Argus

Thanks!

Try the Microsoft store on 5th Ave. They had tons at launch.

Fjordson

Really kicking myself for not ordering during that last batch at Gamestop. Damnit. Microsoft needs to make more of these fuckers.

SwolBro

Banned
If anyone is interested you can order an extra set of thumbsticks, paddles, dpad from the microsoft support store.

i've heard it takes less than a week to arrive. i'm about to place an order. I want two extra "long" paddles.

Namikaze

I got my elite controller in the mail yesterday but after messing with it for a while, I realized that the left d-pad button was broken..... I'm so sad lol, everything about it was perfect except for the d-pad..got a refund but who knows when BB will get more stock.

Lima

I got my elite controller in the mail yesterday but after messing with it for a while, I realized that the left d-pad button was broken..... I'm so sad lol, everything about it was perfect except for the d-pad..got a refund but who knows when BB will get more stock.

That's why I love Amazon. Talked to them and they said they would let me keep the controller until new stock comes in. Then they will send me a new one and after I received that one only then I have to send back the faulty controller.

TSM

If anyone is interested you can order an extra set of thumbsticks, paddles, dpad from the microsoft support store.

i've heard it takes less than a week to arrive. i'm about to place an order. I want two extra "long" paddles.

This post prompted me to try and find said replacement parts. I ended up at Microsofts online service center.

Apparently it's a long standing issue that you can't register a controller with Microsoft's Xbox online service center site. They include a 14 digit serial number under the UPC inside the battery compartment and the website only accepts 12 digit numbers. I also attempted to register my xbox branded wireless adapter for windows and it declared the serial number invalid. From what I read if you don't have an xbox one registered you can't do anything at all on that site.

Lima

This post prompted me to try and find said replacement parts. I ended up at Microsofts online service center.

Apparently it's a long standing issue that you can't register a controller with Microsoft's Xbox online service center site. They include a 14 digit serial number under the UPC inside the battery compartment and the website only accepts 12 digit numbers. I also attempted to register my xbox branded wireless adapter for windows and it declared the serial number invalid. Lovely.

Yeah you need a console. All accessories warranty get attached to the console. Stupid as hell.

Leyasu

Banned
I've had mine for nearly two weeks and it is the best controller I have ever used/had. I couldn't go back, but what is more, I am slightly concerned that when Microsoft release a next gen Xbox, that it either won't work and or they won't have an elite controller version for sale day one.

Please Microsoft, these type of controllers need to be an integral part of the experience from here on out.

Got my CronusMax Plus all set up this morning and have tested the Elite controller with quite a few PS4 games and I am very happy to report that it's working flawlessly with no re-authorising needed and no input lag. It was bloody tough going back to a standard controller on the PS4 for Battlefront but all is now well and the Elite will cover all my systems now.

I can't get over just how good this controller is and how easy it was to become accustomed to.

SwolBro

Banned

Apparently it's a long standing issue that you can't register a controller with Microsoft's Xbox online service center site. They include a 14 digit serial number under the UPC inside the battery compartment and the website only accepts 12 digit numbers. I also attempted to register my xbox branded wireless adapter for windows and it declared the serial number invalid. From what I read if you don't have an xbox one registered you can't do anything at all on that site.
You don't have a console?

Try online chat support.

Just a heads up for anyone in the NYC/NJ metro area

Tomorrow night, The 5th ave Microsoft store will be receiving 319 elite controllers. So Saturday and going forward is your best chance to walk right in and get one.

Good luck Gaf-brothers.

LiK

mine arrived, aw yiss

CUNVJpGVEAAbExy.jpg:large

Drain You

Finally got the chatpad today, loving it with the Elite controller.

Chatpads seen to be even more limited than the controller. Gamestop at the mall near me had 1 come in and it was only for the person who reserved it, and the gamestop near me where I actually reserved it had no idea when they were releasing or getting shipped to the store.

Velikost

I remember seeing some people talking about issues with their Elite controller's sticks, but I don't remember what the specific problem was. Was it looseness? I'm starting to notice my right stick is much more wobbly than it should be, and it's somewhat worrying.

Anyone have any experience with Microsoft repairs? I'm thinking it'd probably be better to just go back to the Microsoft store I bought it from and try to swap it out

I remember seeing some people talking about issues with their Elite controller's sticks, but I don't remember what the specific problem was. Was it looseness? I'm starting to notice my right stick is much more wobbly than it should be, and it's somewhat worrying

Stick drift was the issue a few other people were having.

Spinifex

Sorry if this question has been covered throughout the thread, but I can't find it anywhere, so here goes...

On PC, can you map a paddle to say, F12, for screenshots, or MOUSE5 for Push-to-talk?

SwolBro

Banned
I remember seeing some people talking about issues with their Elite controller's sticks, but I don't remember what the specific problem was. Was it looseness? I'm starting to notice my right stick is much more wobbly than it should be, and it's somewhat worrying.

Anyone have any experience with Microsoft repairs? I'm thinking it'd probably be better to just go back to the Microsoft store I bought it from and try to swap it out

I've normally had good experiences with them. This is why i believe everyone should have warranty on this controller.

Sorry if this question has been covered throughout the thread, but I can't find it anywhere, so here goes...

On PC, can you map a paddle to say, F12, for screenshots, or MOUSE5 for Push-to-talk?

Not yet but it's coming they said

What are the programmable keys on the chatpad for? The picture in this thread looks like a normal chatpad.

The functionality isn't available, but when it is in 2016...

The keys with the green and orange circle can be mapped to OS functions, like take a screenshot.

The X1 and X2 keys can be mapped to games and apps.

sangreal

The functionality isn't available, but when it is in 2016...

The keys with the green and orange circle can be mapped to OS functions, like take a screenshot.

The X1 and X2 keys can be mapped to games and apps.

they are mapped to screenshot and record that out of the box though

x1 and x2 that is

green and orange are function keys

Top Bottom