• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

kiphalfton

Don't even need to beat them before they're taken out of the store. Just initiate download (or download them altogether) and you're good to go.

Also WTF would you buy these games if you're already paying for Gamepass? Just do as I said above.

Edit:
I'm wrong.

Guess I have to uninstall some games.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Don't even need to beat them before they're taken out of the store. Just initiate download (or download them altogether) and you're good to go.

Also WTF would you buy these games if you're already paying for Gamepass? Just do as I said above.
This only kinda/sorta works temporarily and by jumping through hoops.

If your console is connected to the internet, your downloaded games will change their launch button from "Play" to "Purchase" when they leave Game Pass. If you launch the installed game, it'll take you to the Store where you can buy it outright. However, you can disconnect your console from the internet ("Offline mode") which I believe will let you continue playing these downloaded games for up to thirty days before needing to check in, as long as you're playing on your Primary Console. But if you do that, you can't play any online games or download new games or updates.

Last edited:

Nester99

I don’t think it works like that. You lose authorization to play them when the GP license is removed.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Good timing. Although, I'm sure it can be bought dirt cheap now anyway.

Or just... Buy them?

I know I know, crazy idea in 2021, nobody kill me.
Isn't there a good chance that the games will return at some point? People don't usually buy good movies just because Netflix stopped carrying them, they wait and see.

This is normal, they use a model similar to Netflix.

By example--If I'm not mistaken--this is the second time they "add" red ded redemption (and probably some other games have been "added" many times).

GamePass is great, I tell you, if you see a game that interests you on there you better play it now or it may be gone when you get to it.

Last edited:

lachesis

Hmmm.. I thought Alan Wake was MS game to be honest.
Many of MS's first party games took a back seat on my Gamepass to-play list, because I thought MS games to be up pretty much forever, but I guess that's not the case.

I still haven't played it and wanted to play... but I guess I will have to settle with the Steam version that I have.

This is normal, they use a model similar to Netflix.

By example--If I'm not mistaken--this is the second time they "add" red ded redemption (and probably some other games have been "added" many times).

GamePass is great, I tell you, if you see a game that interests you on there you better play it now or it may be gone when you get to it.

I don’t think they are adding Red Dead, just the online mode. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

That's how PS+ and Games With Gold work, not GamePass and PS Now.

Or just... Buy them?

I know I know, crazy idea in 2021, nobody kill me.
16030.jpg

GHG

Isn't there a good chance that the games will return at some point? People don't usually buy good movies just because Netflix stopped carrying them, they wait and see.

So... Just wait for an undefined period and hope?

No thanks, if I want to play something I'll just buy it. Same with Netflix, if what I want to watch isn't available on the service then I'll seek it out on another service or buy the disk if it comes to it.

kingpotato

No thanks, if I want to play something I'll just buy it. Same with Netflix, if what I want to watch isn't available on the service then I'll seek it out on another service or buy the disk if it comes to it.
What is there to hope for? The service has a revolving selection. If you are only interested in specific titles why pay for a service that doesn't save you from making the purchase in the first place?

TexMex

Dumb question but how does it work if you're mid game when they're taken down. Are your GamePass saves local or server side? Can you just buy it and keep going?

What is there to hope for? The service has a revolving selection. If you are only interested in specific titles why pay for a service that doesn't save you from making the purchase in the first place?
So just settle for whatever happens to be on GamePass and miss out on everything else? Forget that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You'd think with a dedicated GamePass thread we wouldn't have to suffer anymore.

Dumb question but how does it work if you're mid game when they're taken down. Are your GamePass saves local or server side? Can you just buy it and keep going?

You can buy it for a 20% discount. All Xbox saves are in the cloud.

Last edited:

GHG

Because a single service isn't the be all and end all.

By your logic people would only subscribe to Netflix for example when plenty of people are subscribed to multiple services or subscribe to Netflix in addition to purchasing content elsewhere and/or going to the cinema.

Being subscribed to a service doesn't mean you are beholden to it.

I assume your saves are safe. If you own a game and delete it, your saves are still there when you re-download the game (unless you specifically erase the save files).

kingpotato

Because a single service isn't the be all and end all.

By your logic people would only subscribe to Netflix for example when plenty of people are subscribed to multiple services or subscribe to Netflix in addition to purchasing content elsewhere and/or going to the cinema.

Being subscribed to a service doesn't mean you are beholden to it.
And by your logic you would be purchasing games and then also renting the games you own though a service. Plenty of people do only pay for Netflix and are content to see what is available at the moment. It's valid both ways.

Going to the movies has a different appeal, not unlike going to an arcade and is unrelated to the subject.

GHG

And by your logic you would be purchasing games and then also renting the games you own though a service. Plenty of people do only pay for Netflix and are content to see what is available at the moment. It's valid both ways.

Going to the movies has a different appeal, not unlike going to an arcade and is unrelated to the subject.

Yes I do, I have both subscriptions and purchase games where appropriate. Thankfully I can pause/cancel my subscriptions on months when I anticipate there is nothing I will play on the service and then resume when it's more likely I'll use it.

The cinema comparison is perfectly apt, what percentage of AAA third party games launch on gamepass? If you want to experience premium games day one then you usually need to pay for them.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The future definitely looks like having to jump through various service brokers to get the games and shows you love. I just hope a lot of quality hidden gems do not disappear in the process. With so many services and future development, I feel the historical preservation of games to be very important. Even as far older individuals we may want to re-experience games from the 90s, 2000s, 2010s, etc.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm strange, I was thinking that Alan Wake is going to be there permanently, other games I don't care for. Well time to dust off the X360 disc. Or maybe my time is precious, buy the digital version.

kingpotato

Yes I do, I have both subscriptions and purchase games where appropriate. Thankfully I can pause/cancel my subscriptions on months when I anticipate there is nothing I will play on the service and then resume when it's more likely I'll use it.

The cinema comparison is perfectly apt, what percentage of AAA third party games launch on gamepass? If you want to experience premium games day one then you usually need to pay for them.
You can double and triple down all you want, but it's still perfectly valid for people to not want to spend money they already spent buying a game that could come back around on the service.

The cinema comparison is not valid because you act as if it is related to quality of the content (AAA games), when in fact it's about the quality of the experience (large screen, high quality audio, etc). Perfectly shitty movies come to theaters every week. You implied that people going to the movies was akin to double dipping when buying a game that's on gamepass. In fact many people go to the movies not specifically to see a movie as much as to have a movie going experience. That's is why I related it to visiting an arcade. It's not just about the games they have at the arcade, it's about the specialty hardware, the environment, the social aspect, etc.

kiphalfton

This only kinda/sorta works temporarily and by jumping through hoops.

If your console is connected to the internet, your downloaded games will change their launch button from "Play" to "Purchase" when they leave Game Pass. If you launch the installed game, it'll take you to the Store where you can buy it outright. However, you can disconnect your console from the internet ("Offline mode") which I believe will let you continue playing these downloaded games for up to thirty days before needing to check in, as long as you're playing on your Primary Console. But if you do that, you can't play any online games or download new games or updates.

You (and the other people who quoted me) are so totally right.

That's depressing, as I have Bloodstained Ritual of the Night downloaded and sure enough when I clicked on "Play" it gave some error message on Game Pass PC:/

This has lit a bit of a fire under my butt as there's some other games that I can only imagine will be taken off Game Pass, that I currently have installed.

Last edited:

You can't even use Netflix, obviously you're too worried about everything getting removed before you watch it so you just buy everything. If you just watched Netflix for what is there and buy what isn't, you'd be able to use GP the same way. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I couldn't help myself.

IDappa

So why does this get its own thread.

And yet new releases to the service have been buried in this mega thread?. I am guessing only so called bad news threads are allowed to be posted outside.

Bridges

Found it odd today that I got a system notification alerting me that Dragon Quest Builders 2's rating was changed to E10+, didn't know there was an alert for stuff like that.

And in regards to the idea of waiting for games to come back to the service, I've had Gamepass since Crackdown 3 came out and the only game I can recall leaving and then coming back ever was GTAV (If you wanted to argue semantics, Red Dead Online/RDR2 could maybe also count).
If there's a game leaving that you wanted to play, you should buy it while you still have the chance to get the GP discount. It's probably not going to come back.

Also sucks to see more Final Fantasy titles leaving the service, with how many there are it seems impossible to finish them all before they go unless it's all you played. I finished VII a couple months ago and was interested in trying IX, but I wanted to wait awhile before jumping back into one and missed the boat.

Chukhopops

And yet new releases to the service have been buried in this mega thread?. I am guessing only so called bad news threads are allowed to be posted outside.
Yeah the rules just make no sense at this point. A positive thread based on one tweet about GP would have been nuked, but this concernfest is kept. Between that and the random deletions/edits things have been weird recently.

Redlight

Came here to say the exact same thing.

I had to get GPU to get my Series X, the day they restocked the only ones available were through all access. I have been on GP before a few times in the past and never found much I wanted to play but I've been a way a while so I was hoping it would be better this time but it's actually worse. I have to say up front that I play the games I want when they come out so maybe for a person who waits on the games their interested in their experience may be different but almost all of the games on this service are games I've never heard of and don't want to play, that or they are games I already own or games I owned at one time and traded in. Until MS starts releasing 1st party games on a regular basis this service is not worth anyone's money. Yeah if you want to just say "I have access to a bunch of games and I don't care what they are" yeah I guess it's worth it but I think most people if they are honest about it find themselves just browsing around and trying different things out for a while and then deleting them. It's a shame MS even made GP a thing before they had the content to make it worth subscribing to.

pasterpl

I had to get GPU to get my Series X, the day they restocked the only ones available were through all access. I have been on GP before a few times in the past and never found much I wanted to play but I've been a way a while so I was hoping it would be better this time but it's actually worse. I have to say up front that I play the games I want when they come out so maybe for a person who waits on the games their interested in their experience may be different but almost all of the games on this service are games I've never heard of and don't want to play, that or they are games I already own or games I owned at one time and traded in. Until MS starts releasing 1st party games on a regular basis this service is not worth anyone's money. Yeah if you want to just say "I have access to a bunch of games and I don't care what they are" yeah I guess it's worth it but I think most people if they are honest about it find themselves just browsing around and trying different things out for a while and then deleting them. It's a shame MS even made GP a thing before they had the content to make it worth subscribing to.
i have bought Xbox series s + 8tb cold storage for my nephew for Xmas, added him to my family on Xbox and I am sharing my gpu with him (he is another country), he clocks around 40-50h/week playing various games and since Xmas he didn’t buy any new game. So you state that that “this service is not worth anyone's money” is quite a stretch. I myself would probably never played outriders, Octopath traveller, wreckfest etc. if not for gamepass. you shouldn’t generalise like that, I for one, play on pc and Xbox, also testing xCloud and gpu is massive value for me. And I never was bothered with the $1 conversion trick, I pay full price since gpu launched as I see value in this.

Kagey K

Banned
O
Or..... (You are going to have to use your imagination for this)

They are actually gamers who enjoy games, and like trying out a wide variety of games. If you can scroll through the list and not find 1 game worth playing, you either have a very shallow taste in games or spent way too much money on them (including buying some games day 1 even though they launched on Gamepass)

It saves me more than my 15.00 every month and I still buy games on top of it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Not sure what games you play, but for many of us it's paid for itself many times over already, the first party games when they release will enhance that even more.

Might I suggest trying some of the games you might not have risked $0 (or less) for, I have found some amazing games I never would have tried. I probably wouldn't have tried any of these.......

Children of Morta
Tetris effect
River city girls
The touryst
Neir automata
Ori
Donut County
Pikaniku

IDappa

Yeah the rules just make no sense at this point. A positive thread based on one tweet about GP would have been nuked, but this concernfest is kept. Between that and the random deletions/edits things have been weird recently.
Well that was the problem, xbox had to much positive PR going on here so the bitching ensued and now it's all buried. Funny the same people who complained about the positive gamepass threads are happy to post in the newest concern thread.

Honestly reminds me of the DF threads some days they are xbox PR people and some days they are reputable.

Kagey K

Banned
Not sure what games you play, but for many of us it's paid for itself many times over already, the first party games when they release will enhance that even more.

Might I suggest trying some of the games you might not have risked $0 (or less) for, I have found some amazing games I never would have tried. I probably wouldn't have tried any of these.......

Children of Morta
Tetris effect
River city girls
The touryst
Neir automata
Ori
Donut County
Pikaniku
Never played the last one, and only got halfway into River City, but that's a solid list of games ppl wouldn't usually buy and deserve to be played.

Kagey K

Banned
Well that was the problem, xbox had to much positive PR going on here so the bitching ensued and now it's all buried. Funny the same people who complained about the positive gamepass threads are happy to post in the newest concern thread.

Honestly reminds me of the DF threads some days they are xbox PR people and some days they are reputable.
That's just your personal bias talking. I've been assured of that many times over by the mods. 😅

You only see it that way because you want to see it that way.

IDappa

I think your mileage will very depending what games you like and what Microsoft bring out. On my end I keep planning to buy games and then they are announced for gamepass, so it has saved me a good chunk of change in the grand scheme of thing. It has also made me play games I otherwise wouldn't of touched and I have very much enjoyed most of those games.

Top Bottom