• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Simply absurd, I can't believe people in here are attempting to defend this. Random price hikes are exactly why we should all be wary of services like GamePass. Microsoft wants everyone completely dependant upon GamePass and the Xbox store for all game purchases. Once you invest in that library it is incredibly difficult to walk away. This is why platform holders such as Microsoft are slowly but surely attempting to phase out physical media. When physical dies then we consumers no longer have control. No more selling, trading or loaning. No more pre-owned cheap games. Just complete dependence.

Gaming is quickly becoming the most anti-consumer space in all of entertainment . A literal micro-transaction riddled, locked-down hellscape where consumers don't have any actual ownership of the products they pay for. Is this really the future anyone wants?
This is exactly where I was in regards to Steam. I was utterly livid shouting in the wind back then when I knew they'd tear physical PC games apart. Utterly gutted. I pirated the shit out of Half Life 2, I was disgusted! I aways bought physical for ownership and they crossed the line!

It didn't matter to me if we'd have to find patches, have multiple discs, actually have to do things to play, they were our 'physical' games!

Now I have to eat shit sandwiches just to play PC games, I just thank god that Steam became the best service to do it on ironically, I even bought Half Life 2 in the end :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But I agree, MS does want this on consoles but they really don't have the Steam ethics to go with it, at all.

It'll be a hellscape.

Mephisto40

My original post to you was because you brought up Sony as the more cost effective alternative even though buying the game + lowest tier for online play costs almost exactly the same. You were the one that brought up Sony initially.

Just felt the need to call out the blatant fanboyism and you've done a really poor job at defending yourself lol.
Fanboyism?

I'm not the one getting mad because somebody on an internet forum said one subscription service is better value to them than another

As somebody that owns both consoles this gen, all this news is doing is telling me I may as well cancel gamepass, sell my xbox, and buy COD straight up on my PlayStation instead, it would cost me less money to do that in the long run

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Cracking Up Lol GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Pop

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The optics on this are terrible, makes it more confusing and splits the userbase up in to "classes"

The whole beauty of gamepass (if there is any) is that you pay a fee the same as everyone else and get access to the same material.

Not surprising and any sane person could see this coming a mile off. Good luck with this venture but I think I just like to buy games and keep them forever.

Fanboyism?

I'm not the one getting mad because somebody on an internet forum said one subscription service is better value to them than another

As somebody that owns both consoles this gen, all this news is doing is telling me I may as well cancel gamepass, sell my xbox, and buy COD straight up on my PlayStation instead, it would cost me less money to do that in the long run
Not mad at all. Saw you made a silly typical fanboy post and figured I'd see how you'd react to being called out.

If all you wanted to play was COD online it costs a little more on PS5 than on Xbox. I just don't get how you think it's a travesty when MS raises their sub price when Sony did it last year. It's ok to admit they both dropped in value with these price increases.

winjer

Gold Member
What did it for you in the end winjer winjer ?

The main reason is that it was rare to find games that I actually wanted to play.
It got so bad, that in the last 3-4 months, I played nothing in there. And a couple of weeks ago, I just removed the Xbox app and went back to a Windows local account.
The only advantage was that my nephew liked to play Forza 5 and Lego Star Wars. But I can just buy those on Steam for cheap.
With Gamepass Ultimate going up to 20€ a month, I rather just buy games on Steam.

Another important reason is that the Xbox app on PC is unbelievably bad. For several times, I had technical problems that prevented me from playing games and that required hours long to troubleshoot and fix.
Then there is the issues with UWP. This causes several problems. It reduces performance of games, sometimes by a noticeable difference. It can cause more stuters and issues with frame pacing. And prevents mods and tweaks, that sometimes are important to fix games.

Klosshufvud

They're backpedaling hard on GP in general. I will always find it funny how MS to this day still locks console online behind a paywall. The absolute idiocy to insist on this while you're dead last in the console race with diminishing sales in every region. I guess they're just cutting their losses at this rate and have no desire to be competitive in the console space anymore.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Wait, so there will be some third party games that will be ultimate only as well?

So EA Play and Day One titles are included in the cheaper Game Pass PC option, but on console you're paying more for this new 'Standard' Game Pass and yet EA Play & Day One games are not included? Dude... They're shitting on us console users.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The main reason is that it was rare to find games that I actually wanted to play.
It got so bad, that in the last 3-4 months, I played nothing in there. And a couple of weeks ago, I just removed the Xbox app and went back to a Windows local account.
The only advantage was that my nephew liked to play Forza 5 and Lego Star Wars. But I can just buy those on Steam for cheap.
With Gamepass Ultimate going up to 20€ a month, I rather just buy games on Steam.
Exactly what I found and literally keeping it for someone else to play. I've done the same too, I bought them the games on Steam

Another important reason is that the Xbox app on PC is unbelievably bad. For several times, I had technical problems that prevented me from playing games and that required hours long to troubleshoot and fix.
Then there is the issues with UWP. This causes several problems. It reduces performance of games, sometimes by a noticeable difference. It can cause more stuters and issues with frame pacing. And prevents mods and tweaks, that sometimes are important to fix games.
I actually never touched it, I'd heard it was bad though. My lad does though, It's how he was playing Flight sim. I wonder if this is the reason why when he calls me up to watch him on occasion it looks a quite ropey with the frames..

Either way, he'll be using the Steam version whether he likes it or not. Unless he wants to pay for the sub (Never going to happen) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

damidu

i know there are not many left, but how don't xbox console owners revolt at this 5th class citizen treatment shit. lol

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They're backpedaling hard on GP in general. I will always find it funny how MS to this day still locks console online behind a paywall. The absolute idiocy to insist on this while you're dead last in the console race with diminishing sales in every region. I guess they're just cutting their losses at this rate and have no desire to be competitive in the console space anymore.

This was absolutely my point when people went hard on gamepass. I have always said, I personally enjoy it very much and if it turns shit or doesnt work that it will simply go away and we will go back to buying games. So, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of it until it buggers off / or becomes too expensive to warrant me subbing.

I'll probably end up cancelling both Gamepass and PS plus extra once my current subs (around 2 years on both) end.

PC gaming is the only good place for solid gaming services IMO, free games etc.

Varteras

Before I comment ... MS is charging xbox users $20 for something PC gamers are getting for $12? Am I getting that right?

It's actually been the case for a while now that PC users were getting the benefits at a cheaper cost. The excuse was the increased cost to console owners was for their ability to play online. Which is fucking wild to be okay with being told you have to pay more to play the same game, on the same service, because you bought their console.

Schmick

Before I comment ... MS is charging xbox users $20 for something PC gamers are getting for $12? Am I getting that right?
No, thats not the case.

20 for Ultimate
12 for PC
15 for Standard (Console)

At least now, Gamepass (Console) includes online play now.

So I can cancel my sub, purchase the day 1 titles that I actually play, buy some other games on steam sales etc and still save money? Thanks for making me check the actual yearly cost, Microsoft.

clarky

Gold Member
LOL at nearly £300 a year for ultimate?

They need to up their first party game to keep me subbed at that price point. Because not wasting money on Forza and HB2 is not what i would call value.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
So EA Play and Day One titles are included in the cheaper Game Pass PC option, but on console you're paying more for this new 'Standard' Game Pass and yet EA Play & Day One games are not included? Dude... They're shitting on us console users.
They are not shitting on you, they are attempting to get every cent they can recover before they move to 3rd party and PC.

Some will keep spending their money and bend over and give them as much as they can before they close game pass on console all together

Happens all the time.when I was ordering my electric half gas half wrangler, my friend ended up ordering a full electric Fisker knowing they were not selling and were having financial issues just one year in. They told him he would be fine and now bankruptcy. There are no shops that have picked up the licenses for diagnostic codes, no extra parts made, no panels if an accident, and no third party companies ever started making parts for it. Anyway his SUV is now a 90 thousand dollar paperweight as there are issues with the motor and no one can even tell him what’s wrong with it. It’s the only reason I went with my Jeep because I knew if they stopped making the PHEV Jeep wrangler I could still get parts from Mopar and two other 3rd party companies.

Long story short, they knew they were going bankrupt and sold as many as they could to recover as much as they could while screwing someone out of 100k pretty much.

These businesses do not care for you people, they only want what you work hard for. Don’t waste your money on a company like this.

Last edited:
Their day 1 third party AAA deals also dried up which was the main reason I sign up since the beginning of the gen. Getting to play Lies of P and Plague Tale Requiem day 1 was the real value of the service.
Now, stuff like Dead Island 2 and Remnant 2 took months and months before coming to gamepass. Which at that point, both games has had their first sale and might as well just buy it outright if I wanna play them.

FireFly

Selling your Xbox alone would cover the cost of COD. The same would apply to to selling your PlayStation. But if you're paying for PS+ Essential, you're effectively paying the same as you would for Core and the yearly cost to convert Core to Ultimate should be ~$40 with the new prices. That's less than the cost of buying COD at launch.

Last edited:
I remember back in 2020 when MS acquired Bethesda a lot of folks were saying that PS was doomed, how things have turned huh.
But a lot people on different forums including Install Base are still saying that Sony and MS strategies are the same.

You mean aside from the multiple times he posted that subscription growth had flattened?

P7MNjm8.jpeg
Here is a nice thread for you 🤡:

MAT PISCATELLA (NPD): Still No Sign GamePass Cannibalizes Game Sales​

GHG

Gold Member
They didn't fuck it, this was always the plan and we all knew it.

The "best value in gaming" has always been an illusion.

Nah this was their plan (I know it's a bit long, but read the whole post for the full picture):

Hence the "spend Sony out of business" and the hopes of acquiring Nintendo (they hoped all this would put them in a compromising position to the point where their market value drops substantially and they become vulnerable to shareholder manipulation).

But here we are just a couple of years later and what actually happened was both Sony and Nintendo sat back and left them to it when it comes to the most financially irresponsible elements (day one first party titles and encouraging your customers to only subscribe and no longer purchase games) of this business model.

Fess

If the plan is to move console-only gamers over to PC then they’re doing a great job. Why pay a higher subscription fee on console when you get more for a lower fee on PC where you also have all the other benefits from having a PC?

simpatico

Gold Member
Sounds like I need to add some side work to my son’s chores. Gamepass Ultimate is part of his compensation. What’s worth $4? Hmmm…

I still think his use case is the ultimate GamePass use case(teenager). Service would have been absolutely ace when I was a teenager. For me as an adult, I’ve subbed for months on and off. Been a while, but I guess they could get me back. If you’re on a really tight entertainment budget I think it could make a lot of sense. When my kids were really young money was beyond tight and it would have been nice.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is exactly where I was in regards to Steam. I was utterly livid shouting in the wind back then when I knew they'd tear physical PC games apart. Utterly gutted. I pirated the shit out of Half Life 2, I was disgusted! I aways bought physical for ownership and they crossed the line!

It didn't matter to me if we'd have to find patches, have multiple discs, actually have to do things to play, they were our 'physical' games!

Now I have to eat shit sandwiches just to play PC games, I just thank god that Steam became the best service to do it on ironically, I even bought Half Life 2 in the end :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But I agree, MS does want this on consoles but they really don't have the Steam ethics to go with it, at all.

It'll be a hellscape.
Wait until they buy Steam 😆

Top Bottom