• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Btw they should rename Game Pass Standard, to something else, because like this, its going to get confusing. But its MS, so they love their shit confusing af

xrnzaaas

If someone's price conscious, it surely makes more sense to buy MS single player releases physically, complete them in your own time, then put them on eBay. Will probably work out to $20 lost, it not less.

I think I'll do that going forward instead of resubbing for a month. I hate the feeling of having to get the most out of my sub, same for PS+.
Two problems with that - some MS games aren't getting physical releases (for instance Hellblade 2 is digital-only) and there's no guarantee that the game will be on disc. I remember buying Arkane collection a while back and 2 out of 4 games were redeem codes. I wasn't planning on reselling it, but it still pissed me off.

The market for used copies is also much smaller than PS & Nintendo's, because many people have simply stopped buying Xbox games.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Two problems with that - some MS games aren't getting physical releases (for instance Hellblade 2 is digital-only) and there's no guarantee that the game will be on disc. I remember buying Arkane collection a while back and 2 out of 4 games were redeem codes. I wasn't planning on reselling it, but it still pissed me off.

The market for used copies is also much smaller than PS & Nintendo's, because many people have simply stopped buying Xbox games.
I guess big games will have physical for the time being but the latter point is definitely true. I started out the gen using Series X for 3rd parties but re-selling wasn't nearly as easy as PS5.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
isn’t that every streaming service ever?
There are very few and between streaming services that are not losing money outright. Making at least some money in the process? Only Netflix after a whole series of constant price-hiking and sunsetting of some options. Hell, even Spotify is far from being financially stable. And Netflix and Spotify are way older and widespread than XGP.

H-I-M

I'm lost and confused.
What's even the point of GamePass anymore ? Can one of the XSheep explain this to me ?
GK5D0US.gif

Haint

No idea why "Standard" even exists, ain't nobody going to pay that much for a truncated delayed library. Just keep Core for online play only people, and Ultimate for everything.

PC Gamepass sub numbers must be under the toilet for them to still be offering that deal in light of hiking everything else to the moon.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There are very few and between streaming services that are not losing money outright. Making at least some money in the process? Only Netflix after a whole series of constant price-hiking and sunsetting of some options. Hell, even Spotify is far from being financially stable. And Netflix and Spotify are way older and widespread than XGP.
That kind of shows how dangerous the model is and I only shudder at the thought of what end game these companies have in mind once they feel safe to monetise it and recoup all the costs they had to face when “growing”.

How people cheer them up and think that there is something to gain in the short term taking advantage of the “first hit is free-ish” that is part of the “growth” phase for such services is almost incomprehensible… it is an irresponsible ultimately fatalist mentality :/.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I was expecting a price increase, but not that it would be that high. I'll probably be out with the next one.

Reactions: Isa

Astray

If someone's price conscious, it surely makes more sense to buy MS single player releases physically,
They're not coming out physically anymore tho.

Where's the physical release for Hellblade 2? Indiana Jones and Avowed haven't been announced for physical releases either.

I don't want to subscribe to "core" I want to subscribe to the tier I was promised I would get xbox studio releases day one, something that's now being taken away unless I pay a bribe on top of what I'm already paying

What's making this even worse is Microsoft are saying the price will stay as is unless you cancel your subscription, so they are now holding you to ransom with a price increase if you DARE to cancel gamepass

Sorry but I cannot support this nonsense, wtf is gaming turning into
Every subscription service gets taken away unless you pay the new price. Sony just did the same thing last year.

Sounds like you're describing "grandfathering" which is strictly better than just forcing you to pay the new price the next time you're charged which is pretty common these days.

Then don't support it. Seems silly to suggest people go to Sony who aren't any better when it comes to their online service. PC would be a more fitting suggestion since you get the best of all worlds and free online.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Utterly done with all this bullshit personally. Dropped all of these shitty 'subs' last month and went strictly PC.

Better running games, free 'cloud saves', a million better games and cheaper games in the long run. Have you played Red Dead 2 on PC over the Series X? Fucking night and day

You're just paying for fuck all. Even the PS5 pisses me off chronic that Sony holds your save game hostage with their shitty sub, that's just fucking evil

Blurgh, sick of the lot of em.

When Stellar Blade and Demons Souls make PC I'll die happy. As for the Xbox? All games on PC now so what's the damn point.

Not to mention MS and Sony seem to have signed contracts with the DEI wankers left and right, not a fan at all

I'll just dev mode my remaining Series consoles for emulation machines.

kikkis

Utterly done with all this bullshit personally. Dropped all of these shitty 'subs' last month and went strictly PC.

Better running games, free 'cloud saves', a million better games and cheaper games in the long run. Have you played Red Dead 2 on PC over the Series X? Fucking night and day

You're just paying for fuck all. Even the PS5 pisses me off chronic that Sony holds your save game hostage with their shitty sub, that's just fucking evil

Blurgh, sick of the lot of em.

When Stellar Blade and Demons Souls make PC I'll die happy. As for the Xbox? All games on PC now so what's the damn point.

Not to mention MS and Sony seem to have signed contracts with the DEI wankers left and right, not a fan at all

I'll just dev mode my remaining Series consoles for emulation machines.
Online hackers and mouse players against controller ones suck on pc. And no sleep mode updates or quick resume blows too.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Online hackers and mouse players against controller ones suck on pc. And no sleep mode updates or quick resume blows too.
If those things bothered me to begin with it would be a problem, and it might have done twenty years ago if I was still neck deep in multiplayer

But to me there hasn't been a better multiplayer game than BF1942 and it's mods so I'm good on that front. I'm that old and I find most multiplayer games shite these days. The ones I would play (Homeworld 2 etc) are not even on consoles :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Never used quick resume, never really needed to and updates are such a non problem on most PC games to me.

I'm just sick of subs. Everything's a damn 'sub' these days! And I'm not gonna take it anymore!!

k32Tvzu.jpeg

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Well well, just a few years ago Mat himself loudly proclaimed that Game Pass does not cannibalize game sales, but rather increases them, while Philbo Spencer assured that the Game Pass model is very sustainable. Now what do you mean it has "been true for a while". Are you saying that the earlier statements were not honest?!
Game Pass cheerleading was ‘cool’ among analysts until reality (predicted by less cool Jimbo and Layden) settled in. Part of the reason to avoid any analytics from guys like Mat or Ahmad. They are usually good with numbers post factum.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Every subscription service gets taken away unless you pay the new price. Sony just did the same thing last year.

Sounds like you're describing "grandfathering" which is strictly better than just forcing you to pay the new price the next time you're charged which is pretty common these days.

Then don't support it. Seems silly to suggest people go to Sony who aren't any better when it comes to their online service. PC would be a more fitting suggestion since you get the best of all worlds and free online.
It's more the idea of gamepass was offered to people as "The best deal in gaming"

It's now more expensive than it's competitors, and arguably offers less of a service, with worse games

Also, the fact that they came out with yesterday "Stream your gamepass games on an amazon firestick!", literally a day later telling everyone you need to pay $20 a month for the privilege, it's actually laughable

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Warzone is F2P and doesn't require any subscription.

What this mostly impacts is the annual releases of CoD, which only costs 70 dollars per year. So unless they plan to increase the price of CoD, which would be a mistake, adding it to GamePass doesn't make it worth it for most people.

Warzone isn’t the only COD MP. Pretty sure a very large portion of those buying this year’s Black Ops game are interested in the MP mode. For those, it’s never been just a $70 commitment.

That lickarse claiming the data backed it up for ages. When did he publicly make this guess prior?

You mean aside from the multiple times he posted that subscription growth had flattened?

P7MNjm8.jpeg

Last edited:

FireFly

It's more the idea of gamepass was offered to people as "The best deal in gaming"

It's now more expensive than it's competitors, and arguably offers less of a service, with worse games

Also, the fact that they came out with yesterday "Stream your gamepass games on an amazon firestick!", literally a day later telling everyone you need to pay $20 a month for the privilege, it's actually laughable
It still is a good deal, if you would otherwise have paid for Core, and convert to Ultimate. At these new prices I make the yearly upgrade cost ~$40.

Every subscription is a worse deal than it was after a price increase and they all increase their prices.

PS+ and GP are pretty similar price wise as you go up the tiers. They differ some but it's a really hard sell to say MS offers less of a service when Sony charges $18 for their highest tier and doesn't even have day 1 games.

Don't see how you can by this upset at MS but suggest people go with Sony who did this same thing last year lol.

At the end of the day, console gamers are getting owned and PC gamers are eating.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I was an ult subscriber before -- I'll stay an ult subscriber. I do think it's needless confusing -- but it's not 'dead' lmao -- I don't understand people wanting GamePass to fail. If I'm willing to spend $20 a month instead of buying a new full price game every 3 months, what's the difference to you?

I usually buy COD every year -- so that's effectively 3 months it's 'worth it' for me -- so another 3 "full price" games that I enjoy in a year, and it's a wash.

I know I don't 'own' them -- but I (personally) don't care about that. If I like the game enough, I'll buy it when it goes on sale. I can't tell you how many games I've played, enjoyed, beaten on GamePass that I never would have spent the $60/$70 on.

TL;DR -- it's still a great service worth the money to me.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Every subscription is a worse deal than it was after a price increase and they all increase their prices.

PS+ and GP are pretty similar price wise as you go up the tiers. They differ some but it's a really hard sell to say MS offers less of a service when Sony charges $18 for their highest tier and doesn't even have day 1 games.

Don't see how you can by this upset at MS but suggest people go with Sony who did this same thing last year lol.

At the end of the day, console gamers are getting owned and PC gamers are eating.
I'm upset because it was only about 2 months ago Microsoft had a showcase where every trailer started or ended with "Available day one on gamepass", It didn't say "Available day one on gamepass Ultimate, and only if you give us another $5 a month"

It's ridiculous that people are defending this with "Well Sony does this and that", Microsoft are straight up false advertising at this point

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Very true. It's just an overpriced rental service at this point. The only reason I actually kept it on so long In the end was my lad was/is hooked on MS flight sim

That's it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'll just buy him the damn thing which I should have done in the first place instead of being a lazy twonk and letting it lapse.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You should’ve listened to the ads and grabbed Judgment/Lost and Atomic Heart and SWJ:S. Unless of course you already have.
👀

..I bought everything. I was serious when I said I've gone strictly PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

aeAqa91.jpeg
yeRSlPe.jpeg
s9xtavT.jpeg

And thanks to Gaf for pointing out a couple in there I would never have known about.

The only console games I'll buy from now on are physical Switch games, PS5 exclusives, physical. As for the Xbox, I guess they'll be on PC.

Subs? Pffft. Away with yee.

Simply absurd, I can't believe people in here are attempting to defend this. Random price hikes are exactly why we should all be wary of services like GamePass. Microsoft wants everyone completely dependant upon GamePass and the Xbox store for all game purchases. Once you invest in that library it is incredibly difficult to walk away. This is why platform holders such as Microsoft are slowly but surely attempting to phase out physical media. When physical dies then we consumers no longer have control. No more selling, trading or loaning. No more pre-owned cheap games. Just complete dependence.

Gaming is quickly becoming the most anti-consumer space in all of entertainment. A literal micro-transaction riddled, locked-down hellscape where consumers don't have any actual ownership of the products they pay for. Is this really the future anyone wants?

Last edited:
The only thing game pass had going for it is day one games, this is worse the ps plus premium 😂

£20 a month for day one games, yeh fuck that

Last edited:
I'm upset because it was only about 2 months ago Microsoft had a showcase where every trailer started or ended with "Available day one on gamepass", It didn't say "Available day one on gamepass Ultimate, and only if you give us another $5 a month"

It's ridiculous that people are defending this with "Well Sony does this and that", Microsoft are straight up false advertising at this point
My original post to you was because you brought up Sony as the more cost effective alternative even though buying the game + lowest tier for online play costs almost exactly the same. You were the one that brought up Sony initially.

Just felt the need to call out the blatant fanboyism and you've done a really poor job at defending yourself lol.

cebri.one

Price increase = Not profitable?
isn’t that every streaming service ever?
Precisely, that’s why Netflix increased prices and added to the lower tier. Or because Amazon Video now has ads as well.

People try to sold us you were going to get hundreds of games for 10€ a month which was bullshit. Now it’s 18€ a month which is 220~ € a year and this is not the last price increase you’ll see. I expect another one in 12-18 months after GP eats a significant part of CODs revenue.

GP will be sustainable at 25-30€ a month.

Top Bottom