• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

GHG

Gold Member
I still remember people saying Nintendo and Sony needed to adapt or get left behind (regarding sub services like Game Pass). It must be a critical situation if even the talking heads on Twitter are finally being honest about the 'best deal in gaming'.

All of this should make people pause and think about what's previously ben said by these guys in the "media" and who it benefits.

Quite simply, they wanted to destroy Sony and Nintendo's business models, the business models that 3rd party publishers/developers (including indies) rely on, all so that Microsoft and Xbox could ultimately be victorious.

You cannot tell me that people like Mat, who are well versed on the financial side of the industry and have access to all the data (both current and historical), couldn't see what he was being asked to do in terms of messaging.

If the plan is to move console-only gamers over to PC then they’re doing a great job. Why pay a higher subscription fee on console when you get more for a lower fee on PC where you also have all the other benefits from having a PC?
It's about devaluation games, they're not done on PC yet.

PeteBull

Gold Member
So EA Play and Day One titles are included in the cheaper Game Pass PC option, but on console you're paying more for this new 'Standard' Game Pass and yet EA Play & Day One games are not included? Dude... They're shitting on us console users.
Thats coz they can, they think xbox only owners got no choice anymore.

But ofc like usual they are wrong, if u can get urself gaming pc, prices nowadays are really good.

For example this rig https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X2jZMV is as strong or stronger from upcoming ps5pr0 in every aspect, on top of that u will have option to get cheap gamepass, all xbox "exclusives" day1, many playstation "exclusives" too, miriad of pc only games and u dont even need to pay for online like console players :)

Here Horizon Forbidden West running on such a rig, u can see stable native 1440p60 maxed (well above 60 actually :)

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Wait until they buy Steam 😆
5Mr0bEc.gif

Then we riot!

(Which will be me screaming in the wind again and nothing happens)

Ozriel

M$FT
Here is a nice thread for you 🤡:

MAT PISCATELLA (NPD): Still No Sign GamePass Cannibalizes Game Sales​

Thread based on (now deleted) Tweet from 2021. What’s that got to do with a position on a different topic shared in 2023 and reiterated in 2024?

Why won’t you jesters even read what you share?

I subbed to GP yesterday for the first time since last year and tbh I don’t really care if it was the price as a single new game per month. The amount of content on there is absolutely mind boggling. I quickly went through the whole list and added what I’m interested in and it turned out to be 48 games. Access to almost 50 games for £15 a month is fucking stupid especially considering almost half the games I added were £50 or more when I cross checked them on my PS5 store.

Only issue is I really dislike the Xbox controller. It feels like cheap plastic with annoying clicky buttons and the A button feels like it only registers presses 50% of the time (I’ve had it replaced then bought a new one and it’s just the same). I have no issues with buttons not working on my Switch Pro and several PS5 controllers. Is this a known issue for Xbox standard controllers?

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Warzone isn’t the only COD MP. Pretty sure a very large portion of those buying this year’s Black Ops game are interested in the MP mode. For those, it’s never been just a $70 commitment.

And what did I say? I said that CoD is released annually for 70 dollars, so unless they increase the price of this, getting it free on GamePass isn't going to be worth it.

GHG

Gold Member
Thread based on (now deleted) Tweet from 2021. What’s that got to do with a position on a different topic shared in 2023 and reiterated in 2024?

It's not a different topic, it's all under the same umbrella.

They lied about the impact of gamepass on game sales as a means of making content acquisition from 3rd parties easier and they got prominent journalists and analysts to do their bidding.

We've had "it's sustainable", "it's profitable for us" along with "it increases game sales".

It was all a lie, top to bottom.

Why in the world would that tweet now be deleted? :messenger_smirking:

Yes the discussion about GP sustainability and what is doing to the industry has been discussed before 2023 fish brain.

And it shows that these butt smooching Analysts have been willingly blind.

Mat now: " true for a while"

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's a matter of finding what fits their narrative.

Eg folks trying to use a 17 month old Spencer quote about the merger not leading to a price increase, which it didn't. But ignoring the far more recent quote from late last year where he said the GP price increase is inevitable, like all subscription services tend to.

Guy will now spend the next 10 days scanning your entire posts history lol.

Truth GIF

I like my friend Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 but he's no GHG GHG when it comes to post-history crawling.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I didn't read this entire thread but the rumor that really kills GamePass for me would be Microsoft doing away with the yearly option.
I'm gone if that is the case.

Topher

Gold Member
It's a matter of finding what fits their narrative.

Eg folks trying to use a 17 month old Spencer quote about the merger not leading to a price increase, which it didn't. But ignoring the far more recent quote from late last year where he said the GP price increase is inevitable, like all subscription services tend to.

I mean.....you are just showing that Microsoft is doubling down on their lie to the CMA. This price increase is clearly in relation to Call of Duty coming to Game Pass. You've already admitted as much.

Lol it is not. They just don't have enough users yet to enforce that, they will try now with PC, cloud(fire) and the strategy to buy more publishers. The strategy is the same to enforce subscription model they will just need more time.
If you really think PC gamers will save Gamepass...just go and take a look at the most played games on Steam. They are all F2P games.

And "they will need more time"? Gamepass is 7 years old already. How long can MS keep up a failing subscription service? If 2 years ago someone told you MS was about to release their stuff on Playstation 5 and starting to clearly move towards PC more and consoles second no one would believe that. Yet here we are: MS consoles are failing to sell like never before, all MS games selling well now are 3rd party Activision releases (basically games they just bought...and didn't participate in their development) or Sea of Thieves that just released on...PS5.

This year will be a huge test for MS...whatever COD does on Gamepass will dictate what will happen to the service. There's no bigger franchise out there than that one (except for GTA)...if Gamepass not only fails to gain subscribers but also if COD loses lots of sales (or revenue) because it's Gamepass day one, you can bet your ass Gamepass will be considered a failed experience for MS.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The no stacking is the underneath final measure they tryed to put between all the numbers... so gamepass always could die in the next 13 months without massive refunds
EDIT:
Only for Gamepass Console, which is being replaced.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Hey Microsoft, contact me whenever you're free to discuss my payment, thanks.

I always thought a 3 tier system makes more sense. Also, just rename it to Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Tier 1 - Game Pass Bronze (Game Pass Core)
Tier 2 - Game Pass Silver (Game Pass Ultimate with 1st Party games releasing after sometime in Game Pass Catalogue)
Tier 3 - Game Pass Gold (Game Pass Ultimate we have now)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You were an Idiot in 2021 too.
I moved on, you haven't 🫢

The argument you quoted didn't even bring up Philbo BS PR or prizing, just how purposefully blind the analysts have been.

My post linked a Phil quote from late last year talking about how a price increase is inevitable, it's more relevant to this topic than Piscatella's deleted tweets from 2021 that you're referencing.

BlackTron

It's not even fun to dunk on Xbox anymore. It's like collecting Pokemon cards. They hit me with so much stuff, I couldn't keep up and lost interest.

Duchess

Even the PS5 pisses me off chronic that Sony holds your save game hostage with their shitty sub, that's just fucking evil
Agree with this. I recently took out a one month PSN sub to back ups my current saves.

Yes, I know I can backup everything onto an SD card / USB drive, but having to do that every day is a PITA.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Most subs increase prices. That is not all that is happening here.
The fact that the service is getting worse changes with each new change and it's being dismissed by some is....something.

Basically the biggest draw, first party games day one...what many used to say made it worth it...the feature is now being locked to Ultimate.

Last edited:
I moved on, you haven't 🫢
bHWaH8V.png

Did you?

My post linked a Phil quote from late last year talking about how a price increase is inevitable, it's more relevant to this topic than Piscatella's deleted tweets from 2021 that you're referencing.
So you admit to your weak ass double down quote, without reading the arguments? Or weak ass try to move goal posts?🤡

Mephisto40

If you really think PC gamers will save Gamepass...just go and take a look at the most played games on Steam. They are all F2P games.

And "they will need more time"? Gamepass is 7 years old already. How long can MS keep up a failing subscription service? If 2 years ago someone told you MS was about to release their stuff on Playstation 5 and starting to clearly move towards PC more and consoles second no one would believe that. Yet here we are: MS consoles are failing to sell like never before, all MS games selling well now are 3rd party Activision releases (basically games they just bought...and didn't participate in their development) or Sea of Thieves that just released on...PS5.

This year will be a huge test for MS...whatever COD does on Gamepass will dictate what will happen to the service. There's no bigger franchise out there than that one (except for GTA)...if Gamepass not only fails to gain subscribers but also if COD loses lots of sales (or revenue) because it's Gamepass Ulitimate day one, you can bet your ass Gamepass will be considered a failed experience for MS.
Fixed ;)

King Dazzar

What yearly option are they doing away with?
Here in the UK it seems to push you towards monthly and to Ultimate. I'm sure there must be other options and ways, but its not intuitive to just get Core for example, or yearly.

This is what I get when looking to join from outside my account and just clicking to join gamepass:

skmfUnb.jpeg

And from my account. The yearly or Core options simply aren't given:

GxSPIxz.jpeg

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yes, I know I can backup everything onto an SD card / USB drive, but having to do that every day is a PITA.
I don't think you can back up PS5 game saves onto a USB device or SD card. Only PS4 saves

Which is why Sony suck testicles. You have to sub to back up saves.

If people here and in the media think this just adds more confusion yet again, same as when Core launched, you're not wrong and it's working as intended. it's all lube along the way to their end goal that would have been far too unpalatable and resulted in uproar if it was forced out in one fell swoop. Eroding away the lowest form of Game Pass resulting in a subscription service that locks people in but content that is more spliced up than ever, games with day one or follow-up expansions, premium additional content editions, fomo-exploiting "early access" which is effectively just a middle finger to the loyal users who pay up front without any real guarantees what they'll get in return, this list goes on. They'll execute that final form streamlining soon enough and it won't be pretty when GPU ends up even more expensive and all tiers having fuck all in the way of worthwhile stacking options and loyalty schemes to exploit.

The best value in gaming.

xbox-boss-phil-spencer-sees-the-funny-side-in-yakuza-phil-meme.large.jpg

We’ve been hearing for years and years that these “spliced up” games, day one expansions, exclusive access, etc etc things are coming and here we are and they still don’t exist.

The time for them to have implemented any of that would have been years ago when they launched new hardware. The time to not do any of that would be now and beyond, when the market has told them they prefer the hardware and software of Nintendo and Sony, and now that MS themselves are releasing more of their games on other consoles.

No one would stay subbed for what you’re describing and worse off, it would destroy the games for any potential sales outside of the service. No one wants to sub to the service for chopped up games, and no one outside of the service on any platform wants to buy chopped up games with day one expansions, or even full games with content locked behind a sub service.

Astray

Will be interesting to watch next XBox showcase with a lot of asterisks at each Day 1/GamePass mention...
It's very dumb to do this after a big showcase where tons of things were labeled "play day 1 on gamepass".

Tells you something about their lack of strategy at the moment. Every decision is made on the spot (and is later justified by fans on the spot, for some strange reason).

Topher

Gold Member
Most Microsoft first-party are AAA games, don't talk wet.

Don't talk wet? No idea what that means. Either way, that's my point. Your selection of AAA games on Game Pass are limited to MS first party unless you don't mind waiting/hoping the games you actually want to play come to the service. So in most cases folks are going to be spending $70/game regardless.

Topher

Gold Member
Here in the UK it seems to push you towards monthly and to Ultimate. I'm sure there must be other options and ways, but its not intuitive to just get Core for example, or yearly.

This is what I get when looking to join from outside my account and just clicking to join gamepass:

skmfUnb.jpeg

And from my account. The yearly or Core options simply aren't given:

GxSPIxz.jpeg

Ok, but I don't think there has been a yearly option for anything except Core and that isn't going away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom