• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
£14.99 a month in the UK?

Pretty much the ceiling for what I’m willing to pay. They don’t have much wiggle room left before I drop a tier or two and go back to the old way.
Can current existing members continue to stack more than 13 months after September ?

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Kinda puts the whole Xbox on Fire Stick thing in context too. No streaming unless you pay for Ultimate...
yea it really shouldn’t be that hard

They should just have the following and leave it at that. Especially with their whole play Xbox everywhere shtick

gamepass cloud only
Game pass without day one (inc pc/console/cloud)
Game pass with day one (inc pc/console/cloud)

Moses85

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF

XXL

So, PC GamePass still gets Day 1 games for less than the cost of the standard GamePass on Xbox that doesnt get Day 1 games....
Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

What a smack in the face for the Xbox faithful.

How anyone could support this console any further is beyond me...they pretty much just told you to go fuck yourselves.

What a fucking shitshow.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I think they can't remove Day 1 AAA.

I think they should create a new premium tier that has the Day 1 AAA games, but is priced appropriately. Kind of in line with EA Play Pro. Maybe like 20 dollars a month.

They should have made a deal with Paramount+ to bundle GamePass and Paramount+ when Halo TV launched.

Their biggest problem is Day 1 PC and Day 1 AAA PC GamePass. That needs to be priced WAY higher.
December 8th, 2023

If I'm Microsoft I'd do the following things

• Create a tiered GamePass that has first party AAA games and remove those games from the basic GamePass
  • Port the following games to PS5/Switch/Mobile where appropriate
    • Halo MCC
    • Gears of War games
    • Sea of Thieves
  • I'd make a deal with Sony/Bungie to do a multiplatform Halo game with 343i acting as a support studio
  • Make CoD biannual
  • Really try and build up Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon into transmedia properties
  • Put out an Xbox Streaming device and bundle it with Xbox controller
  • Make deals with as many TV manufacturers and streaming device manufacturers to carry the Xbox App

December 14th, 2023

You're entirely right, but I don't know how effective shilling is in retrospect.

It truly is a story of MoviePass meets Netflix. I'm sure had the FTC and CMA not pushed against Microsoft, things would not have stopped at ABK.

Regulators almost certainly helped derail Microsoft's long-term plans, but the plan was probably a pipe dream from the get go and was never going to work in a post pandemic world.

I think we ultimately see a rebranding of GamePass if not this year, by the end of next year. They won't have two back to back years with CoD on GamePass without restructuring/increasing the price. Again, they're going to ask their most ardent fans to pay the bill. I would not be surprised if GamePass is largely shuttered within 2-3 years. It might become more like EA Play and EA Play Pro. Once a subscription service hits a subscriber ceiling the only thing you can do is start to increase price/cut cost. So you increase the price and scale down the offering, probably only including original non-licensed content. Then you have a catalog tier vs a day 1 tier.

May 25th, 2024

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Zuzu

I wonder how long it will take for day 1 releases to be available for Game Pass Standard? 6 months? 1 year? What’s the time frame for how long these games will be locked to Game Pass Ultimate?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So, PC GamePass still gets Day 1 games for less than the cost of the standard GamePass on Xbox that doesnt get Day 1 games....

How anyone could support this console any further is beyond me...they pretty much just told you to go fuck yourselves.

What a fucking shitshow.
Exactly. The "evangelists" will still defend it though.

ZehDon

What a fucking shitshow.
It's been covered in this thread, but I think it's worth repeating: they're moving away from consoles. Their next hardware SKUs are going to be PCs, not Xbox consoles. They want people on PC - be it a custom PC under your TV or a handheld PC. Rather than trying to support two platforms, it would appear they're smooshing their Xbox platform into their PC platform and quietly killing the former. Xbox is now a brand, not a platform. And the Xbox brand just means "Microsoft Gaming", be it on Xbox branded PC hardware, your custom built PC, or on your Sony PlayStation.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I wonder how long it will take for day 1 releases to be available for Game Pass Standard? 6 months? 1 year? What’s the time frame for how long these games will be locked to Game Pass Ultimate?

I would guess that they won't hit standard for at least a year. Six months is way too soon and defeats the purpose of paying for Day 1 service.

N30RYU

So basically Microsoft is trying to push xbox players to get a PC?

Shocked Futurama GIF

The no stacking is the underneath final measure they tryed to put between all the numbers... so gamepass always could die in the next 13 months without massive refunds

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Only publisher putting out games for adults with this type of consistent quality. I think we're going to see more PC support and more quickly to be specific, but yeah, putting this under a sub model would make no sense. The only way to justify it would be to add a tier on top of their premium tier for like an additional 5 dollars per month.
November 23rd, 2022

The real issue is that if GamePass has completely stagnated and Xbox sales are drying up, your replacement value isn't going to be where it was. That means you're absolutely going to see a decline in GamePass subscribers this year, which will force them to raise the price, which will in turn reduce how many subscribers they have.

This is the real reason why they're going 3rd party.

Things that we're going to see in 2024
  • Continued reduction in Xbox sales
  • Increase in price in GamePass
  • Fewer 3rd party titles on GamePass
  • More than 4 Xbox games on PS5 and Switch
And for a more wild prediction, I think they will further break out a tier for first party day 1 games on GamePass, but that might not happen this year.

For Microsoft there is no recovering from this.

When they talk about the next generation Xbox being the largest leap from one console to another, I don't doubt them. I can already see what they're planning. The next Xbox is essentially going to be a high-end gaming PC but it'll be priced according to that. We're talking about 800-1000 dollars. With maybe a low end option like the Series S for people who just want GamePass, but it won't be as heavily subsidized as this. This is how they'll keep the Xbox community going, but that's going to be the real Xbox Tax.

You design a gaming system with basically a 4090 in it and sure it'll be more powerful, but they're not going to sell many of these to casual gamers, but they'll sell the system for a profit.
February 17th, 2024

FireFly

£14.99 a month in the UK?

Pretty much the ceiling for what I’m willing to pay. They don’t have much wiggle room left before I drop a tier or two and go back to the old way.
It doesn't seem like they stopped Ultimate stacking. So if that's the case, you can still get 2 years of Ultimate for 3 years of Core. Monthly subs were never good value compared to stacking.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It doesn't seem like they stopped Ultimate stacking. So if that's the case, you can still get 2 years of Ultimate for 3 years of Core. Monthly subs were never good value compared to stacking.
Stacking is now limited to only 13 months. So you can only stack 1 year on top of the first month you have. No more workarounds.

I2EjAJx.jpeg

Mephisto40

So if they are charging $14.99 for the standard version, what the hell is ultimate going up to? Like $20 a month?

That's an outrageous price hike, that going to mean this "standard" tier is more expensive than ultimate currently is

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That’s only for the discontinued (but grandfathered) Console tier, that’s why they specifically listed it under changes to that tier.
Oh okay.

The wording here still seems confusing to me because it doesn't just say "Game Pass for Console". It says "Game Pass for Console users". So, technically, Ultimate is also something that console users get.

But you and F FireFly may be right.

FireFly

Why would you stack this shite service when you can buy their games on steep sales all the time in steam.
It depends whether you would otherwise have purchased Core, since it's basically allowing you access to the catalogue for 50% extra. And of course there is no Steam on console.

Mephisto40

So it's actually more cost effective if you are jumping on the cod bandwagon this year, to just buy a PS5 instead, pay for PS+ essentials, and just buy cod outright, than it is to pay this $20 a month BS

I'm sorry but as good as gamepass has been, it is NOT worth $240 a year

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's the way I read it, when they referenced it's like EA Access.
It'll be interesting indeed if that's true - that Standard will only have first-party games.

Because then it means that for $15, players are only getting first-party games, and not on day one either. This will also mean a fractured userbase, which means that third-party additions will only be for Ultimate ($20 tier). That'd significantly lessen the incentives for third-party games to launch games on Game Pass.

Having said that, I don't think it meant that. I think the Windows Central writer only mentioned EA Play because, EA Play doesn't get EA games on day one. Hence, the similarity with the new 'Standard GP' tier.

But I'm interested in seeing more info/confirmations on that.

FireFly

So it's actually more cost effective if you are jumping on the cod bandwagon this year, to just buy a PS5 instead, pay for PS+ essentials, and just buy cod outright, than it is to pay this $20 a month BS

If you're going to be subscribing for the whole year, you should be converting from Core instead. Monthly subs make sense if you are dipping in.

Is there not a yearly option for Ultimate or whatever tier gets COD?

Looks like a year of "Core" is still a few bucks cheaper than a year of PS+ essentials so it doesn't look cost effective at all. Especially if they don't have a PS5 already.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Is there not a yearly option for Ultimate or whatever tier gets COD?

Looks like a year of "Core" is still a few bucks cheaper than a year of PS+ essentials so it doesn't look cost effective at all. Especially if they don't have a PS5 already.
I don't want to subscribe to "core" I want to subscribe to the tier I was promised I would get xbox studio releases day one, something that's now being taken away unless I pay a bribe on top of what I'm already paying

What's making this even worse is Microsoft are saying the price will stay as is unless you cancel your subscription, so they are now holding you to ransom with a price increase if you DARE to cancel gamepass

Sorry but I cannot support this nonsense, wtf is gaming turning into

Roufianos

So $20 a month instead of the $15 I’m paying now? Yeah, I’m ok with that if I still get day 1 games.
If someone's price conscious, it surely makes more sense to buy MS single player releases physically, complete them in your own time, then put them on eBay. Will probably work out to $20 lost, it not less.

I think I'll do that going forward instead of resubbing for a month. I hate the feeling of having to get the most out of my sub, same for PS+.

Top Bottom