• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Bernardougf

i1l0YE9.jpeg
I will bet this has never happened.. ever ...in the history of acquisitions

Topher

Gold Member
This suddenly makes sense....

LZchKVS.png

"Upon launch, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be playable on Xbox and PC for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for Console members," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer earlier today.

Pretty slick, Microsoft. Didn't lie, but didn't tell the whole story either.

DJ12

I'm not reading all this, can someone summarise the shill(s) response for me please.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
$20 a month for 'day one games' doesn't make sense as they rarely have any releases. Maybe two more this year?

It'll be first year access to first party games or something like that, I'd expect.

2024 for consoles is

Avowed
Indy
COD BLOPS
Towerborne
Hellblade
Flight Sim 24

If you think there's value in that to make it worth paying more over the non-Day-One Gamepass is in the eye of the beholder, but I think I'd have bought COD if I hadn't been expecting it for Gamepass, would have grabbed Indy and if Avowed scores well, I'd be interested in that too.

And that would more than cover full price for Gamepass Ultimate. I definitely wouldn't have bought Hellblade but I appreciated getting a look, will play that Chinese Room Game soon, have been playing Steamworld Dig. So, in that sense, the deal works just fine for me. I think Gamepass is good value.

It'll be a different story if they only manage to ship one or two games in a year, but I can't see how that's possible now with so many studios. They'll doubtlessly include some third party special licensing for something to plug a hole if it does happen.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

LZchKVS.png

"Upon launch, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be playable on Xbox and PC for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for Console members," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer earlier today.

Big Todd is teaching them the skills he has built up over a long and illustrious career of bending the truth

Gambit2483

Calling it now, they are going to wait no more than 3 months before putting "day one" games into the "standard" tier.

That way they can put serious pressure on people to upgrade while not being extremely egregious about holding out on the cheapos.

jm89

LZchKVS.png

Yeah pretty sneaky.

DJ12

It's only being limited for the tier of gamepass they're replacing.
They won't increase the price on the lower one without the other though, and it seems like they are set to increase the lower one.

I would guess for gamepass minus day one the price is what they have calculated to be profitable and will be reviewed yearly.

Where as ultimate should remain above this for the foreseeable future.

How long can you stack ultimate? Indefinitely?

Del_X

Called the $20 price change a while ago. Not a bad deal if they can actually release a AAA game each quarter which I think they can if they throw in enough Bethesda and Activision stuff day one. PC game pass seems like an actual deal since I just wanna play some CoD Campaigns at release.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They won't increase the price on the lower one without the other though, and it seems like they are set to increase the lower one.

I would guess for gamepass minus day one the price is what they have calculated to be profitable and will be reviewed yearly.

Where as ultimate should remain above this for the foreseeable future.

How long can you stack ultimate? Indefinitely?

There's no way that gamepass won't get another price rise at some point in the future, same with Netflix, Amazon Prime, anything.

But they're not changing the current rules on stacking to facilitate an annual price rise as per your previous assertion.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sony has had a subscription service years before Game Pass even existed, it's called PlayStation Now (later rebranded to PlayStation Plus). Somehow, Sony's math showed that putting expensive games there on day one was not worth it, and that selling games while taking 30% commission fee on everything is more profitable.
The wild part is PlayStation Plus was a thing before PlayStation Now.

I think Now launched right when the PS4 launched. Plus started sometime during the PS3 era.

And yeah, many were literally begging for Sony to follow MS down this risky ass path.

5bb9e5cc2e77534b6e50793348c0a7a9.jpg

And damn, I didn't see your post Topher Topher

Last edited:

Metnut

The final blow will be the end of monthly subscriptions and only an annual option for $249 per year (billed at $20.75 per month).

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The fact that XB poured so much PR into not raising prices after the ABK deal, then turned around raised prices, is both hilarious and telling at the same time.
Now that Xbox spend $70 billion on A-B, it's no longer this little sideshow in the Xbox building that can just lose money indefinitely. The disaster of last year's games also was pretty visible. A lot more high-level people are looking at the business and asking questions and demanding changes. I think this explains all the moves MS has made this year, almost immediately after the acquisition went through. I'd expect many changes and price hikes moving forward.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

LZchKVS.png

Classic MS. As expected. And I hate to say it (who am I kidding, I enjoy being right).. but this is why I do not trust MS. Been saying this shit for years.
Calling it now, they are going to wait no more than 3 months before putting "day one" games into the "standard" tier.

That way they can put serious pressure on people to upgrade while not being extremely egregious about holding out on the cheapos.
Keep kidding yourself. You can't possibly be looking at all that is happening and still not see you are watching a house on fire.

Even if they wait 3 months before adding games to gamepass, I expect that wait time to become gradually longer, as delaying its addition to the game catalog gives more value to the day 1 service that already has the games on there. They are slowly transitioning to what Sony does with their PS+. If anything, it's more likely that eventually day one would be gone period. And only then can the lead time to the games showing up in the catalog become an industry-leading "3 months".

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I din't understand how Xbox users are "trained" to not buy games. If gamepass went away, people would just buy games again. I still buy games everywhere, I'd just buy games....

I find some of these arguments don't make sense. It might take a little time but people would just start buying games again..... :/

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It'll be first year access to first party games or something like that, I'd expect.

2024 for consoles is

Avowed
Indy
COD BLOPS
Towerborne
Hellblade
Flight Sim 24

If you think there's value in that to make it worth paying more over the non-Day-One Gamepass is in the eye of the beholder, but I think I'd have bought COD if I hadn't been expecting it for Gamepass, would have grabbed Indy and if Avowed scores well, I'd be interested in that too.

And that would more than cover full price for Gamepass Ultimate. I definitely wouldn't have bought Hellblade but I appreciated getting a look, will play that Chinese Room Game soon, have been playing Steamworld Dig. So, in that sense, the deal works just fine for me. I think Gamepass is good value.

It'll be a different story if they only manage to ship one or two games in a year, but I can't see how that's possible now with so many studios. They'll doubtlessly include some third party special licensing for something to plug a hole if it does happen.

Starfield launched for 70 dollars in September of 2023. By December you could buy it for 45 dollars...

There is nothing special about Microsoft Game Studios that would have people buy into a program for 240 dollars locking yourself into paying for their games, when even if you're interested in SOME of their games, they can be purchased for pretty cheap after launch.

Forza Motorsport launched for 70 dollars in September 2023, and was 55 dollars by December, and 45 by March.

Buying GamePass is like buying your own company's stock instead of playing the market as a whole and having a more diverse portfolio. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

All of this to not actually own your games...

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
People bought the Xbox Series X/S on launch day with no First Party games. I'd believe people are that stupid too.

People buy consoles for an entire generation, not just for the launch month. Third party games were playable on the console. That’s entirely different from a time limited subscription service.

i know there are not many left, but how don't xbox console owners revolt at this 5th class citizen treatment shit. lol

Erm…if the value isn’t there for GamePass, isn’t the sensible option to just stop subscribing and buy the games you want? You know, like how everyone else just buys games.

Revolt at what? 🤣

diffusionx

Gold Member
Starfield launched for 70 dollars in September of 2023. By December you could buy it for 45 dollars...

There is nothing special about Microsoft Game Studios that would have people buy into a program for 240 dollars locking yourself into paying for their games, when even if you're interested in SOME of their games, they can be purchased for pretty cheap after launch.

Forza Motorsport launched for 70 dollars in September 2023, and was 55 dollars by December, and 45 by March.

Buying GamePass is like buying your own company's stock instead of playing the market as a whole and having a more diverse portfolio. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

GP works for the sort of person who posts on NeoGAF that needs to play hundreds of games a year. That's fine. Sign up for it. I had it for years. But I didn't want to be locked in to whatever MS tells me I can play.

Like Age of Mythology is coming out next month for $30. I can sign up for GP and pay every month to be allowed to play it, or just... spend $30 and it is in my Steam library forever. Or I can wait and get it at a discount. AOE2 DE is undoubtedly one of MS' best games and it is on GP, and I can buy it for like $12 right now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My dream of Gamepass dying is getting closer to reality.

It's hilarious to see so many fanboys acting like this is no big deal and that it was inevitable:

Cut the bullshit. You all championed acquisitions because you all believed Big Daddy Nutella would allow Big Daddy Phil to get all sorts of "free" games at the cheapest cost imaginable. You had this fantasy that somehow, someone wasn't going to open the books and demand this make money.

Congratulations, you were all conned.,

Ozriel

M$FT

Everything drops in price within months, aside from Nintendo first party. Might as well argue against buying games day 1, then.

Aside the fact that GamePass gives access to many other third party titles, many of them day 1.

I believe Microsoft's intention (as a company) was to abolish day one releases (for big games) on gamepass once and for all, and this was the best they could do to avoid the massive backlash. I still think that day is coming... specially if MS decides to acquire more big publishers .

As I've said thousands of times, more studios > more people > more salaries > more layoffs > more money you need to keep things going, and if your service/gamingdivision is stagnated, not paying itself in return on investments, console platform is not growing enough... bad things will happen. This clearly explains MS's recent change in approach, "Taking our games/services where the players are". Let's see how that will do for them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
People bought the Xbox Series X/S on launch day with no First Party games. I'd believe people are that stupid too.
To be fair, I bought the XBox Series X, because I expected it would be the best place to play 3rd party games due to being the most powerful and looking better than the Xbox One X. I expected many games to get 60 fps modes, which they did. Games like CoD COld War got a 120 fps mode, which was my first 120 fps experience on an OLED. Loved it.

I bought my PS5 for exclusives.

And now....I just play all my Xbox games on PC....

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I din't understand how Xbox users are "trained" to not buy games. If gamepass went away, people would just buy games again. I still buy games everywhere, I'd just buy games....

I find some of these arguments don't make sense. It might take a little time but people would just start buying games again..... :/

It's no different to how mobile phone gamers are "trained" to expect F2P games or very cheap games.

Or how Nintendo gamers are "trained" to pay $60 on decade old re-releases and that Nintendo games never drop much in price from their full MSRP.

Or how Xbox and Playstation gamers are "trained' to expect super high graphical fidelity and 60fps compared to Switch customers who have a completely different expectation.

The platform holder sets certain expectations and zeitgeist amongst their customers and Microsoft has 100% set the expectation that their big games don't need to be purchased outright.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

c'mon bro. think a little bit harder.

It's no different to how mobile phone gamers are "trained" to expect F2P games or very cheap games.

Or how Nintendo gamers are "trained" to pay $60 on decade old re-releases and that Nintendo games never drop much in price from their full MSRP.

Or how Xbox and Playstation gamers are "trained' to expect super high graphical fidelity and 60fps compared to Switch customers who have a completely different expectation.

The platform holder sets certain expectations and zeitgeist amongst their customers and Microsoft has 100% set the expectation that their big games don't need to be purchased outright.

Yeah, but Xbox owners are playing a similar powered console and from the last numbers only Half of the userbase have game pass. So they either move over to playstation and start buying games or stick with Xbox and buy games, or move to PC and buy games.

Xbox gamers are not mobile phone gamers. The majority of Xbox gamers probably own a PS5/Switch and or a PC that is capable of gaming. People expect mobile phone games to be free to play because the entire design model of those games is built around free to play. Game Pass games are fully fledged retail games that are just on the service. If the market decides that Game Pass is dead and they arent interested in the service, it's not growing, then those people that arent interested in the Game Pass model are surely purchasing games.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Xbox owners are playing a similar powered console and from the last numbers only Half of the userbase have game pass. So they either move over to playstation and start buying games or stick with Xbox and buy games, or move to PC and buy games.

Xbox gamers are not mobile phone gamers. The majority of Xbox gamers probably own a PS5/Switch and or a PC that is capable of gaming. People expect mobile phone games to be free to play because the entire design model of those games is built around free to play. Game Pass games are fully fledged retail games that are just on the service. If the market decides that Game Pass is dead and they arent interested in the service, it's not growing, then those people that arent interested in the Game Pass model are surely purchasing games.
6tIehc0.gif

I find some of these arguments don't make sense.
.....🙄.

I dunno man. ask chatGPT about consumer behavoir.

XXL

LZchKVS.png

Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

Mr.Phoenix

But you have kinda answered your own dilemma...

as long as gamepass day 1 exists, its training Xbox users to not buy games. Nothing to not understand there, you just said it yourself. And so has Ms too. When they said something about gamepass cannibalizing sales. So this is known.

And yes, if gamepass went away, this would just make people go back to buying games. I for one know that since day 1 became a thing, I have never bought a single Xbox game. I instead just pay for gamepass for the odd month or two in a year and play everything the brand has to offer for that year. And that's thanks to MS... they have trained... hell encouraged me to do this. It makes no sense for me to buy a game on Xbox for $70... hell, even $50 when I know for as little as $20... I can play everything they have worth playing in one month. That is a problem. And physical proof that it is? games sell less on Xbox, gamepass subs prices are (as expected) increasing, we are having this conversation, Xbox has created a day 1 less tier... etc.

So the very argument you said doesn't make sense, actually makes a lot of sense. This is a problem unique to Xbox, gamepass and Day 1.

DJ12

There's no way that gamepass won't get another price rise at some point in the future, same with Netflix, Amazon Prime, anything.

But they're not changing the current rules on stacking to facilitate an annual price rise as per your previous assertion.
They won't change the lower price without changing ultimate.

damidu

People buy consoles for an entire generation, not just for the launch month. Third party games were playable on the console. That’s entirely different from a time limited subscription service.

Erm…if the value isn’t there for GamePass, isn’t the sensible option to just stop subscribing and buy the games you want? You know, like how everyone else just buys games.

Revolt at what? 🤣
i mean we saw 50yo fanboyz throwing tantrums over going third party just couple of months ago, didnt we lol
this seems much more anti-xbox gamer than that

Top Bottom