• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

bender

What time is it?
You’re a fool if you think there are 10-12 games worth owning each year. That’s a fucking fact.

9.jpg

They'd lose a lot of revenue for people willing to pay for online but not interested in a game subscription service.
🤷‍♂️ It's not avoidable. Even Nintendo does it. There's no way to get one without the other. I'm mostly saying this to just simplify it for Xbox customers. Three different tiers for the same subscription service? I just think that's crazy. Screw the Day One games, when my Ultimate expires, I'm just gonna do Core.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
🤷‍♂️ It's not avoidable. Even Nintendo does it. There's no way to get one without the other. I'm mostly saying this to just simplify it for Xbox customers. Three different tiers for the same subscription service? I just think that's crazy. Screw the Day One games, when my Ultimate expires, I'm just gonna do Core.

That's reasonable, but if you only had a choice between Standard and Ultimate, you might just pick neither. Nintendo's offering is inexpensive at $20 and offers some virtual consoles and free games (Tetris 99, etc.) and then they have the expansion pack which bumps the price and gives you access to more virtual consoles and access to expansion packs for first party games. That's all to say that I don't think ditching the least expensive option is the answer, specifically when it's probably one of the few profitable things that the Xbox division offers.

Revolt at what? 🤣

I assume it must be the PC option being cheaper and still having day one games. But why would console users revolt about PC users getting a better deal… they get better deals all the time no matter what fanbase it is. Some clown will just reply “#SonyToo” but did PS gamers revolt at PC users getting cheaper games and free online? Nope.

Outside of that, idk what the revolt could be about.

bender

What time is it?
bender bender what new games have you purchased this year so far?

Shiren, Thousand Year Door, Balatro, Hell Divers 2, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Unicorn Overlord, SF6 Expansion, FF7 Rebirth, Shadow of the Erdtree, Persona 3 Reload, Stellar Blade, Sandland

I'll also be purchasing EDF6, Ace Attorney Investigations Collection, Marvel vs Capcom Collection, Dragon Quest 3 2D HD, Zelda Echoes of Wisdom, The Thing Remastered. I might also purchase Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster, Luigi's Mansion 2, Astro Bot, Mario and Luigi Brothership, MGS3 Delta, Silent Hill 2, Metaphor

I regret Stellar Blade and probably Sandland but I got that latter physically and for cheap.

Last edited:
That's reasonable, but if you only had a choice between Standard and Ultimate, you might just pick neither. Nintendo's offering is inexpensive at $20 and offers some virtual consoles and free games (Tetris 99, etc.) and then they have the expansion pack which bumps the price and gives you access to more virtual consoles and access to expansion packs for first party games. That's all to say that I don't think ditching the least expensive option is the answer, specifically when it's probably one of the few profitable things that the Xbox division offers.
That's fair. Standard NSO is basically free for how cheap it is. I have the Expansion Pack tier. But we're on a family plan and I don't even pay for it. But I think Nintendo subsidizes the cost of standard NSO with the enormous cost of the Expansion Pass standalone. It's like more than double standard NSO. $50 a year vs $20.

Iced Arcade

so next-gen people will decide.

buy a new Xbox for $499 USD + $240 USD a year ORRRR buy the latest PlayStation (that plays PS and Xbox games) purchase the games you want and save a bucket of money.

I'll save the $1006 Canadian (console+subscription) and just buy a PlayStation next-gen lol

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
so next-gen people will decide.

buy a new Xbox for $499 USD + $240 USD a year ORRRR buy the latest PlayStation (that plays PS and Xbox games) purchase the games you want and save a bucket of money.

I'll save the $1006 Canadian (console+subscription) and just buy a PlayStation next-gen lol
What if that next gen Xbox plays all Steam games as well?

boom smile GIF

bender

What time is it?
That's fair. Standard NSO is basically free for how cheap it is. I have the Expansion Pack tier. But we're on a family plan and I don't even pay for it. But I think Nintendo subsidizes the cost of standard NSO with the enormous cost of the Expansion Pass standalone. It's like more than double standard NSO. $50 a year vs $20.

I'd be curious to see the breakdown of regular vs expansion pass tiers, but I think it's just a matter of somewhat fair pricing. There are infrastructure cots to the niceties we take advantage of on all platforms and a small fee doesn't seem out of the question. That's why $20 a year doesn't seem all that outrageous, especially when it is bolstered by some great free games like Tetris/F-Zero 99 and access to some virtual consoles.

GHG

Gold Member
They’re pushing people to PC with these changes, console users are paying nearly twice as much if they want day 1 games. The Console tier goes poof and Standard don’t have day 1 games, only Ultimate on console does day 1 games.

Yes people might eventually cancel their sub and start buying games… But if they’re moving people to PC they’ll buy games on Steam.

What’s their plan here going by these moves and previous next gen rumours?
1. Move Xbox gamers to PC.
2. Release a living room PC console hybrid.
3. Steam access on the hybrid.
4. Use Geforce Now for streaming.
5. Push streaming/GFN to every device.

What’s left of Xbox in this equation is the Xbox logo in the PC app and the Xbox word in the Xbox Game Pass title.

Are these Sarah Bond’s moves? Or is she just the fallguy? Things has accelerated since she stepped in as the Xbox boss. Maybe she’s a master mind idk but right now I’m just glad I’m on PC and can look at the train wreck from afar.

With the way things are going at the moment, xbox ultimately becomes a streaming and mobile gaming brand.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Shiren, Thousand Year Door, Balatro, Hell Divers 2, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Unicorn Overlord, SF6 Expansion, FF7 Rebirth, Shadow of the Erdtree, Persona 3 Reload

I'll also be purchasing EDF6, Ace Attorney Investigations Collection, Marvel vs Capcom Collection, Dragon Quest 3 2D HD, Zelda Echoes of Wisdom, The Thing Remastered. I might also purchase Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster, Luigi's Mansion 2, Astro Bot, Mario and Luigi Brothership, MGS3 Delta, Silent Hill 2, Metaphor
So nothing of value outside of a two year old games DLC and Sony’s GaaS that was fun for a few weeks

Honest to God, just simplify this and get rid of Game Pass Core. Just have Standard and Utimate. Both include "Xbox Live". That's it.
Its pretty funny as looking back on all this now. Its basically just the same as type of deal as the PS plus tiers. You have the basic, a mid tier and a high tier. Yet, somehow MS made this extremely confusing (to be slightly fair though, MS also has the PC gamepass part). Their constant name changes/marketing is just horrific across the board.

I will just always be amazed on how much Xbox can fuck shit up. Its like they try and sabotage themselves sometimes.

bender

What time is it?
And there is a lot of people who do not want to game on a PC especially those who work in front of a PC all day

Plus have fun waiting on games that launch console only first like GTA

And those people probably aren't going to take advantage of Steam on this mythical next Xbox which doesn't make it a great selling point.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I still save money lol

or buy a gaming PC
With how Sony is putting games on PC its the best platform anyhow

Wonder why there is even a market for consoles anyhow if "just buy a gaming PC" was the answer

And those people probably aren't going to take advantage of Steam on this mythical next Xbox which doesn't make it a great selling point.
It seems some at team green HQ disagrees with your "probably" assessment

GHG

Gold Member
So nothing of value outside of a two year old games DLC and Sony’s GaaS that was fun for a few weeks

Do you even like this hobby or are you just here to cheerlead Xbox?

That post paired with the fact that you want the whole industry to implode (as you said above in another post) just because your subscription costs are going up and Xbox are doing a poor job leads me to believe it's the latter.

Klayzer

Do you even like this hobby or are you just here to cheerlead Xbox?

That post paired with the fact that you want the whole industry to implode (as you said above in another post) just because your subscription costs are going up and Xbox are doing a poor job leads me to believe it's the latter.
He here to troll and gaslight. Nothing more.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Considering how well they've run the business for the past 20 years, that makes me more confident in my "probably" assessment.
Maybe but at least it seems they want to attempt something different because they are tired of getting their asses handed to them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why would you say something so disgusting? I would never buy a MS game. I have tegridy

200w.gif

Shiren, Thousand Year Door, Balatro, Hell Divers 2, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Unicorn Overlord, SF6 Expansion, FF7 Rebirth, Shadow of the Erdtree, Persona 3 Reload, Stellar Blade, Sandland

I regret Stellar Blade and probably Sandland but I got that latter physically and for cheap.

Like FoxMcChief FoxMcChief said in an earlier page. Gamefly + Game pass is the best combination to have. Everything you need on day 1 and by the time you feel like replaying a game years later, it's reached bargain bin prices. I have bought only 2 games on day 1 at full price between 2023 and 2024, personally.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I don't remotely believe they are doing that and still say they are doubling down on hardware next gen its just going to look way different

Based on the rumours they wont be making thier own hardware, a spec sheet (or two) will be offloaded to OEMs.

Three

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 lurking the thread and liking everything pro MS is the best after he kept complaining about price rises and kept going on about "hypotheticals" when people were predicting this would happen post acquisition :
Doesn't change the fact that currently there is no actual Xbox price hikes so for now we are talking about a hypothetical.

If that company no longer offers a good value I don't have to support it. Why should I miss out on a great value because of a hypothetical? Real prices hikes are worse than imagainry ones every time.

8wioep.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
DarkMage619 DarkMage619 lurking the thread and liking everything pro MS is the best after he kept complaining about price rises and kept going on about "hypotheticals" when people were predicting this would happen post acquisition :

8wioep.jpg

This is the best one:

I keep asking this question no one has any answers. Game pass will turn into something horrible and increase the price dramatically! Just you wait! So when this happens obviously the service will be done because the service is based on quality content. Perhaps this is some sort of Game pass will fail out of the market mindset. Well people have been predicting that Xbox would drop out the market any day now and they have been shown to be pretty accurate so I'm certain their predictions of Game pass will come true too.

Orbital2060

Was it, really?

Game Pass subscribers shot at the start of the next-gen because Xbox showed a lot of games in their 2020 showcase, and most of them haven't even been released it yet (e.g., Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild, Contraband, Perfect Dark, etc.). And the ones that did release did not live up to expectations (e.g., Forza, Starfield, etc.)

So people kind of wasted a lot of their money on promises that never came to pass.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

bender

What time is it?
I don't remotely believe they are doing that and still say they are doubling down on hardware next gen its just going to look way different

Considering how bad they are at this, doubling down wouldn't surprise me. They could certainly surprise me, but I find it hard to see the value in a console device that runs 3rd party launchers. As streamlined as Steam is, it's still far clunkier than what a console offers from an ease of use perspective. Microsoft would also lose the incentive to subsidize the hardware by allowing 3rd party storefronts on their system as they'd no longer get a cut of game sales. It's like the worst of all worlds from an end user perspective.

If they want to try something different, they could create something akin to an XBoxOS with a certified hardware requirements that could be given to OEMs.

Like FoxMcChief FoxMcChief said in an earlier page. Gamefly + Game pass is the best combination to have. Everything you need on day 1 and by the time you feel like replaying a game years later, it's reached bargain bin prices. I have bought only 2 games on day 1 at full price between 2023 and 2024, personally.

I'd be questioning my life choices if I was in total agreement with FoxMcChief FoxMcChief .

Last edited:
Considering how bad they are at this, doubling down wouldn't surprise me. They could certainly surprise me, but I find it hard to see the value in a console device that runs 3rd party launchers. As streamlined as Steam is, it's still far clunkier than what a console offers from an ease of use perspective. Microsoft would also lose the incentive to subsidize the hardware by allowing 3rd party storefronts on their system as they'd no longer get a cut of game sales. It's like the worst of all worlds from an end user perspective.

If they want to try something different, they could create something akin to an XBoxOS with a certified hardware requirements that could be given to OEMs.
Non subsidised, high end console hardware. Priced at $700-1000. With aim to sell to their 10-20 million fans. No marketing needed.

This is what I am hoping for.

Maybe I'm reading the "immediately muting this" part, but why post on Twitter in the first place if you don't want a discussion? Studying how and why video games have sold for twenty years is valuable but other forms of media have been disrupted because of subscription models.

*shrug*
I think he's just looking at spreadsheets and probably seeing smaller games that otherwise would have had NO advertising being lifted but it has undoubtedly hurt AAA sales.

bender

What time is it?
Non subsidised, high end console hardware. Priced at $700-1000. With aim to sell to their 10-20 million fans. No marketing needed.

This is what I am hoping for.

Series X would be north of $700 if it weren't subsidized, especially if the market is that small. That doesn't even take into consideration software support. It just doesn't seem viable.

Bernardougf

Their games fall especially fast because they haven't put out a system seller in over a decade.

So no, this isn't the argument you think it is.

Microsoft games are not special enough to warrant 240 dollars annually. The industry certainly doesn't think so, because most people won't even buy Xbox hardware for 250-300 dollars once, let alone every year and no one is buying their games.
Bullshit.. did you play hellblade 2 ? ... I think not! Premium gaming material all 4 hours of it.

Top Bottom