• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Standard is a newly classified tier. Console, the existing tier, still gets day 1 and even retains the same price. New customers just can't buy into that tier anymore.

Apologize for being wrong, ass.
chicote-whip.gif

Technically you're right, but idgaf I'm still going to run with it. So suck it, bitch.

Bernardougf

You are underestimating the average users.
Everyone can do math bro ... anyone that wants the awesomeness that is gamepass have it, if not is not one game that will change that, even more a multiplayer game that people buy to play indefinitely, sure one or two over the fence may get it or someone wanting to play just the campaign may sub for 1 month. But moving the needle substantially to make a difference? Not a chance. Zero.

Elios83

Gamepass is a failed bet. They thought gaming would transition to a subscription based model and it just didn't happen.
People simply don't play hundreds of games and with gaas taking over many people are stucked playing the same game for months. A completely useless scenario for a subscription.
What they accomplished is to devalue their own first party games which now their fans don't even want to buy at full price.

Anyway Microsoft internally has already moved on, the goal of gamepass is now to try to be viable with the current userbase by raising prices, while the main strategy of the company is focused on becoming a dominant full multiplatform gaming publisher.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

So if youre subbed up to ultimate already, you can stay on that price for as long as you dont cancel and resub later?

If thats how it works, its a great time to jump in before 12/8 if youre considering game pass.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Everyone can do math bro ... anyone that wants the awesomeness that is gamepass have it, if not is not one game that will change that, even more a multiplayer game that people buy to play indefinitely, sure one or two over the fence may get it or someone wanting to play just the campaign may sub for 1 month. But moving the needle substantially to make a difference? Not a chance. Zero.
You can't claim something which you haven't seen.

Fess

So if youre subbed up to ultimate already, you can stay on that price for as long as you dont cancel and resub later?

If thats how it works, its a great time to jump in before 12/8 if youre considering game pass.
Yeah that was my thinking as well. And stacking 12 months Core subs and then convert to Ultimate still works. I’m in til 2026 for the cost of two full priced releases.
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Topher

Gold Member
well what is it about? i mean WE ALL knew this was coming and for $20 it's still a steal "for me" considering the amount of content i play on there. find it funny sony raises ps5 prices twice so far this gen and no one bats an eye cause it still sells, but evil MS does it by a whopping $3 and it's the end of the world.

Guess you'll just continue to ignore the changes to day one games.

Here are the threads where no one is "batting an eye" talking about the PS+ price increase....

You'll ignore these too I guess.

Three

You people always fail to see the real problem and try to strawman "neogaf hyperbole" in every bad xbox topic .... if they just kept their mouths shut and do nothing and say nothing and just work, we wouldn't have this discussions, but for every Xbox "controversial" decision there is an executive or PR person saying the opposite not so long ago .... changing tiers and upping prices were expected of course after so many acquisitions and changes... BUT you have record of them saying that they wouldn't do that... thats why Xbox will always be at this stage.. everything is a non issue, everything is persecution and hyperbole, nothing they do or say they are accountable for. You smile, take it in the ass and thanks papa Phil for being so nice and let you finally play call of duty for 20 dollars a month.

Another example of Xbox talking out of both sides of their mouth

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/micr...unching-first-party-games-on-ps-plus.1640145/

I guess there actually wasn't any benefit seeing as they removed day one options.

Three

But they havent removed the day1 option. They introduced a new option. There was no reason to bring that. Just a gatcha tribalism.
Removing options doesn’t mean they removed the price hiked day 1 Ultimate entirely. It means they removed day 1 games from the previously $10.99 teir and made it $14.99. they essentially made you buy things you might not want plus removed a benefit you had before.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Microsoft removed a tier that had day one and replaced it with a tier that does not. That's what T Three was referring to, clearly, and has just confirmed it.
Removing options doesn’t mean they removed the price hiked day 1 Ultimate entirely. It means they removed day 1 games from the previously $10.99 teir and made it $14.99. they essentially made you buy things you might not want plus removed a benefit you had before.
The new option isnt replacing anything. Its just there to counter the price increase.
Old got price increase, new option is simply for people that dont like the price increase.

avin

The aspect of Gamepass I enjoy most is the curated access to great indie games I might not find otherwise. But they don't seem to have the one tier that makes sense to me, which is relatively cheap day one indie games, first-party after some time, folded in with multiplayer access? Not on console anyway, or I'm not seeing it. Did I miss something?

avin

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
The aspect of Gamepass I enjoy most is the curated access to great indie games I might not find otherwise. But they don't seem to have the one tier that makes sense to me, which is relatively cheap day one indie games, first-party after some time, folded in with multiplayer access? Not on console anyway, or I'm not seeing it. Did I miss something?

avin
Indie games was a good gear for them. After Activision blizzard, it become normal gear. They aren't worth that much attention now, when they can simply get cod and other big games.

Three

The new option isnt replacing anything. Its just there to counter the price increase.
Old got price increase, new option is simply for people that dont like the price increase.
How do people who don't like the price increase avoid the price increase? Xbox Game Pass for Console will be shuttered for new users. You seem to be confused about what has happened and your options. Xbox Gamepass standard is being replaced by a $14.99 tier which doesn't include day 1 games. You could have paid $10.99/m before and got day 1 games on xbox gamepass before. Ultimate is getting a price hike, so is PC gamepass. So is Gamepass
Cores annual plan that most got before.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How do people who don't like the price increase avoid the price increase? Xbox Game Pass for Console will be shuttered for new users. You seem to be confused about what has happened and your options. Xbox Gamepass standard is being replaced by a $14.99 tier which doesn't include day 1 games. You could have paid $10.99/m before and got day 1 games on xbox gamepass before. Ultimate is getting a price hike, so is PC gamepass. So is Gamepass

Xbox Game Pass Standard is the $14.99 option. Think you mean "standard" in a generic way, but dude is already confused enough. :messenger_beaming:

Three

Xbox Game Pass Standard is the $14.99 option. Think you mean "standard" in a generic way, but dude is already confused enough. :messenger_beaming:
Yeah, "standard" with the double quotes. The $14.99 one isn't called standard either I think, only with double quotes. I think the confusion is by design. Certainly seems to have got feynoob baffled as to what's happening.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I am reading the standard as the old ultimate.
If the standard is just the Xbox version, that is highway robbery.
The Office Lol GIF

Three

I am reading the standard as the old ultimate.
If the standard is just the Xbox version, that is highway robbery.
The Office Lol GIF
I could reply with

If people bother to read [properly] , we wouldnt see posts like these.

but that would be a little mean. I'm just messing because I dont blame you really. Not long ago you had

$14.99
Cloud access
Day 1 games
PC and Console

Now $14.99 gets you
No cloud access
No Day 1 games
Just console?

So it's easy to mix up the two just based on the price ending up the same in a year. They've essentially become EA Play or Ubisoft+ with a bigger publishers games. "blocking MS from benefitting consumers" they said.

Fess

You’re talking in circles.

A price increase or new creative tier subs is not the problem.

The problem is this:

* There is a $11 option for PC-only gamers to get the Gamepass library and day 1 games.

* There is NO $11 option for console-only gamers to get the Gamepass library and day 1 games.

Why is there only a $20 console+PC option for console-only gamers who want day 1 games?

Gaming media should ask MS this. I’m on PC but I still think this needs to be asked. The only reason people aren’t complaining here is because so many are still sitting with prepaid stacked cheap subs or are on PC.

Topher

Gold Member

The problem is this:

* There is a $11 option for PC-only gamers to get the Gamepass library and day 1 games.

* There is NO $11 option for console-only gamers to get the Gamepass library and day 1 games.

Why is there only a $20 console+PC option for console-only gamers who want day 1 games?

Gaming media should ask MS this. I’m on PC but I still think this needs to be asked. The only reason people aren’t complaining here is because so many are still sitting with prepaid stacked cheap subs or are on PC.

People are going to talk in circles when shit gets as convoluted as this is. Microsoft can't seem to do anything simple.

But you are correct. PC is getting the better deal. As Tom Warren said, this is just more evidence that the future of Xbox is on PC, not consoles.

The problem is this:

Shows that MS doesn't really care about their console consumers, first they devalue their own console platform by not supporting it properly, now this with the GP tiers. MS tried desperately to make customers of Xbox trust MS with Phil Spencer pretending to be a gamers' dude. They lured console customers in with all kinds of MS Rewards like tons of points for buying digital games, excessive amounts of points for GP, cheap $1 deals for GP, free months of GP for turning on auto-renewal etc. then they drop most of that stuff out of the blue, have community managers discriminate against specific people, lie about their products, try to buy dev companies and generate artificial success.

They really have no one to blame but themselves for their lack of success in the console market, and their current reputation.

Topher

Gold Member
Shows that MS doesn't really care about their console consumers, first they devalue their own console platform by not supporting it properly, now this with the GP tiers. MS tried desperately to make customers of Xbox trust MS with Phil Spencer pretending to be a gamers' dude. They lured console customers in with all kinds of MS Rewards like tons of points for buying digital games, excessive amounts of points for GP, cheap $1 deals for GP, free months of GP for turning on auto-renewal etc. then they drop most of that stuff out of the blue, have community managers discriminate against specific people, lie about their products, try to buy dev companies and generate artificial success.

They really have no one to blame but themselves for their lack of success in the console market, and their current reputation.
Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

Three

The problem is this:

Because they have xbox players locked in on gamepass on consoles. They've stagnated growth there and are milking them instead for revenue rather than subscriber growth. PC users they're still trying to get people on to it but they still increased that PC price by $2 regardless. It was $9.99 before. $14.99 on PC with no day 1 would pretty much tank any growth they expect there. You have places like Amazon and EGS giving away free games with no sub too. It may be an indication that they're going to try and increase loss on the next xbox to compete still as a loss leader machine but try and make it back by charging much more for services and subs on it.

Gambit2483

Gamepass Console (which included Day 1) was replaced with Gamepass Standard (which doesn’t include Day 1).

It's really not that hard to understand.

Edmund

Some Xbox fans secretly wish that Phil Spencer would fuck their wives. So of course a price increase wouldn't matter. In fact what would really make them happy is if Phil would fuck their wives AND them. And also raise the price of gamepass even more.

That would be the dream.

The problem is this:

Was just thinking about this. Why is Gamepass now so overwhelmingly lopsided in favor of PC compared to console?! As you point out a 'console only' player doesn't have the option of Day one games now, unless one pays for a tier containing PC games that has no relevance to said player.

Some Xbox fans secretly wish that Phil Spencer would fuck their wives. So of course a price increase wouldn't matter. In fact what would really make them happy is if Phil would fuck their wives AND them. And also raise the price of gamepass even more.

That would be the dream.
And then they go surprised Pikachu face when the Xbox brand struggles even further.

Topher

Gold Member
Was just thinking about this. Why is Gamepass now so overwhelmingly lopsided in favor of PC compared to console?! As you point out a 'console only' player doesn't have the option of Day one games now, unless one pays for a tier containing PC games that has no relevance to said player.

I think Microsoft is making every effort they can to sour things for Game Pass on console. They want as many people as they can on Game Pass Ultimate before they transition away from console completely.....

Speculation, obviously.

Fess

Exactly. There needs to be a $11 console-only option. There is no valid excuse.

Top Bottom