• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

SHA

Meanwhile I'm sober from this service for 4 years and it only helped me buying more games + beating them non stop, it kept me on check, I can't see this service for who genuinely don't wanna pay for games, I can't picture these types of consumers and I don't think ms willingly think the other way either.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
New prices are effective TOMORROW. Existing member prices take effect Sept 12. Says Xbox console GP codes will be redeemable "until further notice". Also, redemption months are now maxed out at 13 for Xbox console. If your Xbox console GP membership lapses, it is gone for good.

GSFI_YNaoAAx0XZ

GSFJBN3aUAAJaOc
Jesus, what a clusterfuck.

GHG

Gold Member
New prices are effective TOMORROW. Existing member prices take effect Sept 12. Says Xbox console GP codes will be redeemable "until further notice". Also, redemption months are now maxed out at 13 for Xbox console. If your Xbox console GP membership lapses, it is gone for good.

GSFI_YNaoAAx0XZ

GSFJBN3aUAAJaOc

What the fuck.

Maybe TimDog wasn't chatting shit when he said the Xbox division was effectively bankrupt.

Nydius

New prices are effective TOMORROW. Says Xbox console GP codes will be redeemable "until further notice". Also, redemption months are now maxed out at 13 for Xbox console. If your Xbox console GP membership lapses, it is gone for good.

GSFI_YNaoAAx0XZ

GSFJBN3aUAAJaOc
Precisely what I suspected. They are counting on people allowing their current Game Pass Console subscriptions to lapse and then they will no longer be grandfathered into the old tier. Can't even remove it from recurring payments. If you do, *poof*, you're off the plan at the end of your time. And "redeemable until further notice" means, in the not to distant future, they will no longer allow people to redeem anything but Core, Standard, or Ultimate and any unused codes will be 'upgraded' to a different tier at a determined/reduced ratio (like they did with people who redeemed XBL Gold time cards while subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate).

Game Pass Console is all but dead. They're just hiding it in PR speak.

They’re doing this for the stated and obvious, but also hoping to boost numbers of users wanting to get grandfathered into the current GP tier. They need a strong Q1 to prevent deeper layoffs in Q2 (Oct-Dec) and organizational scrutiny from the mothership.

This is Phil’s last hurrah

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm confused. So what is the price tomorrow for GPU for new members vs the senior citizen discount GPU?

Is that $20 regardless?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft raising the price of Gold to $75 annually just raised the floor. Expect that to eventually be the new standard entry price for online gaming across the board.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Precisely what I suspected. They are counting on people allowing their current Game Pass Console subscriptions to lapse and then they will no longer be grandfathered into the old tier. Can't even remove it from recurring payments. If you do, *poof*, you're off the plan at the end of your time. And "redeemable until further notice" means, in the not to distant future, they will no longer allow people to redeem anything but Core, Standard, or Ultimate and any unused codes will be 'upgraded' to a different tier at a determined/reduced ratio (like they did with people who redeemed XBL Gold time cards while subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate).

Sounds like a perfect Dark Pattern from the company that brought you such monstrosities as Microsoft 365 and Teams.

Holy hell. My shit-take that it's basically Satya trying really hard to squeeze at least some money before torching this whole circus down and letting the whole troupe to tour on better console platforms.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Being honest, I'd probably hold at $20. I dont think I could go any higher. Just Flintlock alone is $40. Kunitsu Gami is $50. Dungeons of Hinterberg $30. Golden Idol is $18. That's just a fraction of the July games.
I guess I'll have to make a decision in 2027.

With the ability to get games on sale and a major backlog of games, there are very few games I need to play at release from any publisher.

I got Horizon Forbidden West for free on PS+... still haven't played it. It's just very low on my priority list.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I honestly am not %100 sure that the next gen Xbox is coming out.

It's very strange to see a company do things like this, clear cost cutting measures, and then just turn around and authorize doing R&D on a new gen set of gaming devices. They're almost contradictory tbh.

I think we're getting our answer on that by the time PS5 Pro releases, the coordinated shill reaction will be what we need to surmise what's exactly happening there.

Another thing I want to discuss is the idea that the new "standard" tier is not gonna have day 1 games.. So how does that impact 3rd party gamepass deals? I think we might be in for a surprise on those starting in 2025-2026ish?

What comes next for Xbox isn't going to count as an xbox to begin with so there's that.

When Microsoft games support PS5 Pro there is going to be a meltdown, but so is this Halo remake they're planning, so they can get 70 dollars out of PlayStation fans rather than porting the MCC. As soon as this happens the floodgates will open, but the response will be outsized.

• Soon, Xbox Game Pass for Console will be shuttered for new users only.

This is the one part that I really care about ATM, because it's 100% confirmation that the next wave of Xbox devices will not be traditional consoles. That January Discord leak continues to deliver on so many levels, the most OP (non-ransomware) leak in modern gaming history IMHO.

Keeping Game Pass for new users "limited" to just PC Game Pass should more or less indicate exactly what direction they are taking the next hardware. That will be very interesting to see manifest, all things considered.

ZehDon

I subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate, so it seems nothing changes for myself except the price, but this really isn't the clear messaging they needed here.

Game Pass Core
Game Pass Standard
Game Pass Console
Game Pass PC
Game Pass Ultimate
Game Pass Vista
Game Pass Enterprise
Game Pass Community
Game Pass One

Hijacking the Game Pass name and fucking up the messaging; Microsoft is back in charge of Xbox. Confusing naming, confusing offerings, confusing prices - that's the classic Microsoft playbook. Phil may have kept the brand alive, but he had to sell its soul to do it. Pappa Microsoft wants their ROI and they're not asking nicely anymore.

King Dazzar

Do you think so, or are they just counting on abusing it as much as they can? I'm not sure. They certainly dont care how they treat their customers. I have very few regrets in life. But investing into Xbox was one of them and pulled out of it all. But I buy my games. It'll be interesting to see how this sits with their console customers, assuming many of those left, are only there because of GP. But now they're getting rogered harder...

A new tier called "Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September.

• Soon, Xbox Game Pass for Console will be shuttered for new users only.
  • Users currently on Xbox Game Pass for Console will be allowed to maintain their subscription, as well as day one games, and the hundreds of titles in the back catalogue.
  • New users on Xbox Game Pass in the near future will be greeted by a new Xbox Game Pass "Standard." This is more like EA Access, which includes Xbox's back catalogue, and doesn't include day one games. This will be priced at $14.99 per month, and will also include Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer (now known as Game Pass Core, confusingly). It doesn't include Xbox Cloud gaming. Game Pass Standard is supposedly launching in September.
  • From September 12, 2024, Microsoft will only allow users to stack Xbox Game Pass for Console users for up to 13 months, using pre-paid cards and the like, which will continue to function. If you have more than 13 months stacked already, you won't be impacted.
  • Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will not be changed, but it will get a price increase. It will still include PC Game Pass, day one games, and hundreds of back catalogue titles, as well as cloud gaming. But, it is getting a price increase. The new price will be $19.99 per month.
  • PC Game Pass is also getting a price increase, from $9.99 per month to $11.99.
  • PC Game Pass will also continue to get day one games.
  • Xbox Game Pass Core (Xbox Live Gold multiplayer) gets an annual price increase to $74.99 from $59.99, but it will remain $9.99 per month.
  • The price increases are global. You can view the new prices for your region here.
  • For users with recurring billing, the new prices will take effect on September 12, 2024, giving you time to cancel if you don't fancy it.
  • Microsoft now has a support page up dedicated to these changes over here.

GSE-SoNbgAAeCjB

UTgXfEX.gif

Also the sheer LOLworthy fukery of PC Game Pass still getting Day 1 games but console-side users not unless they pay more....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would've thought they at least added demos/trails for "Standard" and PC Game Pass and save Day 1 for the Ultimate tier. You Xbox console players must've really pissed Microsoft off some how :/

King Dazzar

I dont think Microsoft will want Halo on PlayStaiton anymore if they want to lock day One games behidn the Ultimate Subscription
In my mind its two different models co-existing. One is a rental with a limited sized customer base and the other is a sale to a larger customer base.

Quasicat

I was literally thinking today about how much I actually use it and whether or not I was wanting to pay the $18.32 a month for game pass ultimate. I think I’m out.

bender

What time is it?
So is Day One only related to first party titles or would that also include the likes of Lies of P?

Top Bottom