• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People are beyond retarded at this point if they believe ANYTHING Phil and his PR team says. Stupid dosent even begin to describe.

It's also beyond retarded to use a 17 month old article for a merger that already happened last year as a gotcha mechanic today 🫢

Conversion rates are better when you aren't a current subscriber. So Core/Gold to GPU is a 3:2 ratio. Add a month to any conversion as you have to subscribe to GPU to initiate the conversion process. Conversely, if you are a current subscriber, a year of Core/Gold only increases your current sub by 4 months.

It's not really worth doing conversion if you have an existing sub.

Last edited:
It's also beyond retarded to use a 17 month old article for a merger that already happened last year ago as a gotcha mechanic today 🫢
I4cftc1.gif

bender

What time is it?
You arent accounting to the code.
I bought couple codes, and did not stack. You need to be lucky with the code allowing to stack.

Incorrect

It's not really worth doing conversion if you have an existing sub.

Correct. Out of subscription conversions, as long as they aren't touched, will still be the best way if you are spending money. Though if I'm reading this correctly, stacking will not be viable after Sept. 12 so you will not be able to split the upgrade month ($19.99) over multiple years.

adamsapple

You arent accounting to the code.
I bought couple codes, and did not stack. You need to be lucky with the code allowing to stack.

Codes stack. The ones that don't are either trial or the retailer will specifically tell you that it doesn't stack because it's only meant for lapsed subscriptions.

adamsapple

We are a little over three months out for Call of Duty to make its grand debut on Game Pass. You really believe that has no bearing on this price hike or the nerfing of Xbox Game Pass for consoles?

It probably does, but kinda irrelevant to use articles about them saying the price won't increase because of the merger. The merger has been done and dusted a long while ago now. Sub services increase their prices every year or two anyway. Both PS+ and GP seem to be on a 2 year holding pattern.

Ass of Can Whooping

He is watching the show happily

He's gonna go back to the dark room when the next acquisition gets announced tomorrow.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Codes stack. The ones that don't are either trial or the retailer will specifically tell you that it doesn't stack because it's only meant for lapsed subscriptions.
Incorrect

Correct. Out of subscription conversions, as long as they aren't touched, will still be the best way if you are spending money. Though if I'm reading this correctly, stacking will not be viable after Sept. 12 so you will not be able to split the upgrade month ($19.99) over multiple years.
You guys know it, but not the average joe.

bender

What time is it?
We are a little over three months out for Call of Duty to make its grand debut on Game Pass. You really believe that has no bearing on this price hike or the nerfing of Xbox Game Pass for consoles?

Got to give him a little grace as he's busy negotiating for the purchase of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Topher

Gold Member
It probably does, but kinda irrelevant to use articles about them saying the price won't increase because of the merger. The merger has been done and dusted a long while ago now.

Pretty sure the point of posting that article was to highlight Microsoft lying to the CMA in an attempt to get the acquisition approved. Microsoft is effectively legitimizing the very concerns regulators had in opposing the deal.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

$20 now for what I've been paying on and off? Nope. I'm out.

Also, who TF is gonna pay $15 with no day 1's? LOL. This is gonna slowly kill game pass.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Pretty sure the point of posting that article was to highlight Microsoft lying to the CMA in an attempt to get the acquisition approved. Microsoft is effectively legitimizing the very concerns regulators had in opposing the deal.
Price hikes suck. But those concerns were pretty stupid. EA play Pro is $17. Ubisoft is $18. They barely have anything compared to GP. Activision sub by itself could be $18.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The issue is their games are hot garbage currently.
Was good 2 years ago. Now the service is filled with trash.

Completely disagree.

Notable day 1 Game Pass releases in 2023/2024:

• Palworld
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Botany Manor
  • Manor Lords
  • Little Kitty, Big City
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
  • Still Wakes the Deep
  • Ara: History Untold
  • STALKER 2
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
  • Avowed
  • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 6
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Atomic Heart
  • Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
  • MLB The Show 23
  • Minecraft Legends
  • Cassette Beasts
  • Planet of Lana
  • Venba
  • Sea of Stars
  • Starfield
  • Lies of P
  • Cocoon
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Jusant

... plus a bunch more.

If it's not for you, then fine, but it's silly to say their games have been hot garbage over the last couple years. If anything the service is better than ever.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I only do GPU and the small increase is fine as long as I get day one games. I use the service daily for games for my son to play on PC that I wouldn’t want to buy plus I use it for a lot of releases. Pays for itself still in the long term.

If they revoke day one or put it behind $30+ for example then I’m out. $20 is basically the limit for me for this.

Ozriel

M$FT
What a massive discrepancy... I wonder if they meant to type 174.99 a year...

At 20 dollars a month, it absolutely isn't worth it for Microsoft's Day 1 games, CoD included.

If you’re a COD MP player, Ultimate is an easier pill to swallow since it includes ‘Gold’.

Given I don’t play MP, I’m not amused at this increase at all. It’s probably driven by COD since their past few first party releases have been underwhelming.

The value proposition will not be there for many people until they prove otherwise with quality releases.

adamsapple

Phil himself said price increases are inevitable before the acquisition closed.

There was even a GAF topic about it, somehow with a lot more nuanced takes than this one.

If anyone was expecting a sub service's price to stay static for the whole generation regardless of any M&A, that's their own nativity naivety.

Last edited:
Just because there isn't enough confusion.......if Xbox Game Pass Standard will become available "in the coming months" and Xbox Game Pass for console will no longer be available starting tomorrow, it seems new console gamers who want access to Game Pass games will be forced to subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate. Why the hell is it going to take months for Standard to be available?

sEJBtxv.png

Qihkwhr.png

Confusion Reaction GIF

Easy answer. They want them to buy the new games.

At the end of the day MS wants new users to buy the games. That's where they'd make the most money. Over time they're going to price-creep GP Core, Standard and Ultimate to the point where many people just decide to not sub and go back to buying their games.

They'd probably like to cancel Game Pass altogether right now but don't want to pay back all subs for the remainder of their subscription, don't want to deal with the legal mess that would present, and probably want to leverage Game Pass in some way for their mobile store plans going forward. Those are likely the three big reasons they are still keeping Game Pass around.

But best believe, they will keep price-creeping it to make just buying your games the more appealing option to users.

adamsapple

Completely disagree.

Notable day 1 Game Pass releases in 2023/2024:

• Palworld
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Botany Manor
  • Manor Lords
  • Little Kitty, Big City
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
  • Still Wakes the Deep
  • Ara: History Untold
  • STALKER 2
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
  • Avowed
  • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 6
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Atomic Heart
  • Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
  • MLB The Show 23
  • Minecraft Legends
  • Cassette Beasts
  • Planet of Lana
  • Venba
  • Sea of Stars
  • Starfield
  • Lies of P
  • Cocoon
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Jusant

... plus a bunch more.

If it's not for you, then fine, but it's silly to say their games have been hot garbage over the last couple years. If anything the service is better than ever.

Still the best deal in gaming™

Kanye West Shrug GIF

kikkis

Eli5 on conversion now?

Kind of losing interest in gaming now. 75 dollars a year to play online or bulky expensive pc that is littered with cheaters. No quick resume or offline downloads either.

Topher

Gold Member
Price hikes suck. But those concerns were pretty stupid. EA play Pro is $17. Ubisoft is $18. They barely have anything compared to GP. Activision sub by itself could be $18.

That would have been a better argument that wouldn't have come back to bite them at least.

Phil himself said price increases are inevitable before the acquisition closed.

There was even a GAF topic about it, somehow with a lot more nuanced takes than this one.

If anyone was expecting a sub service's price to stay static for the whole generation regardless of any M&A, that's their own nativity naivety.

lol.....I liked your response....

Last edited:

adamsapple

ehhhh, I don't think I've redeemed any of Tim Apple's free games for almost a whole year now. The biggest appeal of GP is a lot of day 1 content that Epic doesn't have (not to mention I only have a shitty 1060 laptop)

Last edited:

odhiex

Core is redundant now that Standard will include online as well.

Should have just axed core, Standard and Ultimate as the only tiers.

MS converted those millions of XBOX LIVE users onto GP Core, accumulating the GP total subscribers (including PC Game Pass) in the mix. How could they sustain the total numbers with the GP Core tier being axed?

adamsapple

MS converted those millions of XBOX LIVE users onto GP Core, accumulating the GP total subscribers (including PC Game Pass) in the mix. How could they sustain the total numbers with the GP Core tier being axed?

Turn Core into Standard. They're both not gonna have day 1 games but include Gold (live). They're essentially t he same service now, just a difference of what back catalog either has, which should be made the same across them.

3 tiers is too many. Just have 2 tiers, one 'standard' one 'ultimate'. Easier marketing and easier to distinct what's different about them for the layman.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Turn Core into Standard. They're both not gonna have day 1 games but include Gold (live). They're essentially t he same service now, just a difference of what back catalog either has, which should be made the same across them.

3 tiers is too many. Just have 2 tiers, one 'standard' one 'ultimate'. Easier marketing and easier to distinct what's different about them for the layman.
I said that at first but Core is still good just for conversions and online only people. Once you wrap your head around it, its fine. When it goes away an extra option is gone.

bender

What time is it?

The problem is pricing. If you want to play online but don't have interest in Game Pass, $14.99 a month is a hard pill to swallow.

adamsapple

The problem is pricing. If you want to play online but don't have interest in Game Pass, $14.99 a month is a hard pill to swallow.

What I would have done is make a single GP Standard tier that merges Core and Standard, price it $12.99

It would keep the trend of the console standard GP being $1 more than the PC equivalent and lessen the messy tier system.

rCGsY38.png

xuwpH9K.gif

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If you’re a COD MP player, Ultimate is an easier pill to swallow since it includes ‘Gold’.

Given I don’t play MP, I’m not amused at this increase at all. It’s probably driven by COD since their past few first party releases have been underwhelming.

The value proposition will not be there for many people until they prove otherwise with quality releases.

Warzone is F2P and doesn't require any subscription.

What this mostly impacts is the annual releases of CoD, which only costs 70 dollars per year. So unless they plan to increase the price of CoD, which would be a mistake, adding it to GamePass doesn't make it worth it for most people.

Top Bottom