• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

What a disaster. Not only is this extremely confusing (coming from someone who roams gaming boards, now imagine how casuals view this!), but the new price is a complete ripoff. $20 a month for the day 1 games? Awful deal. This is now more expensive than Netflix/Hulu. Knew it was a matter of time before a price increase, as is the case for every sub service but still, insane decision from MS here.

dorkimoe

always love when they add confusion to this shit. its hard enough for parents to understand this shit for their kids too.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So I have a year left of GPU. Is there any reason to try to extend my subscription now with these pricing changes or am I still best off just letting it expire a year from now and then doing the Xbox LIve/Core -> GPU conversion?

Assuming this is mostly their creative way to try and sell at least some standalone $70 copies of the new CoD on Xbox.

So, when do the new titles get added to Game Pass Standard? 6 months? 9 months… a year?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Stay subbed and waste money

Or cancel and accept the new price.

Choices choices

We're talking about the second class citizens here

I'm, personally, loaded with points up the ass so it's a very easy no-brainer for me.
For the average joe, I would say either look into cheap ass codes or just do a monthly sub for when you have a few games coming that you want.

So I have a year left of GPU. Is there any reason to try to extend my subscription now with these pricing changes or am I still best off just letting it expire a year from now and then doing the Xbox LIve/Core -> GPU conversion?

As of right now the lapse -> convert will be the most cost effective for you but who can say what the key resellers will be selling the codes at a year from now.

-

I'm interested in seeing what, if any, service or feature level improvements they'll add to GP in the coming month(s) like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has heard.

Last edited:
They think 4 first party games per year is worth the price hike.
A $40 discount off four full-price games hardly seems worth it, if that’s the goal.

Only if you want all four. Not every first party game that launches is what every Game Pass subscriber wants.

And let’s be honest. If you’re spending $240 a year on a video game subscription, you’re likely not super budget-conscious. 🤷‍♂️. So price isn’t really a barrier for you anyway, in that case.

Last edited:
Funny to see this being considered as some sort of gotcha moment for Xbox sceptics.

Ultimate still get all benefits. This move simply means I will sub - unsub instead of long term stacking. Doesn’t change much for me.

Also, their pc gamepass price is lower cause… they know its not same as using on the console. You get what you pay for. Simple as that.

mitch1971

Gold Member
No more stacking?

Frustrated World Cup GIF

bender

What time is it?
Assuming this is mostly their creative way to try and sell at least some standalone $70 copies of the new CoD on Xbox.

So, when do the new titles get added to Game Pass Standard? 6 months? 9 months… a year?

I'd assume they are using CoD being Day 1 on GamePass to cushion the blow of the price increases.

The second question is a good one but I'd assume a year as that would allow the next installment of COD to come out and keep people on higher tiers. I'm still curious if/how this affects 3rd party Day 1 releases.

Zones

So will the Buy a year of GP standard, and upgrade to GPU for a one month fee work anymore?
Just got raised to 75 per year. Then convert once to standard 15 or ultimate 20.

Ultimate through conversion is 2 years for 170 vs. 480.
Just so it's clear, the Game Pass Core to Game Pass Ultimate conversion for lapsed members is now 3:2.

Meaning 36 months of GPC will convert to 24 months of GPU.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Just so it's clear, the Game Pass Core to Game Pass Ultimate conversion for lapsed members is now 3:2.

Meaning 36 months of GPC will convert to 24 months of GPU.
Yeah I was still wrong lol. 3 to 2 plus $20 once is roughly $10 a month. 120 a year. Half price.

Maybe.

I’m glad they did this move, so I can forget about their subscriptions for good.

Either subscribe for 1 month and catch up on games, or buy a game and its equivalent to only 3 month of gamepass. The real problem is the core requirement for multiplayer, but at some point that would just depress your online communities as the cost increases.

PSN gives out real ass games with the base tier. They could stop, but I think it is killing Xbox more than anything else. No one want 2 subs, and PSPlus is just a better free handful of games program.

All in all, bad company with a division in dire straights.

Pop

Xbox wants out of the console market.

PC gamers keep Day 1 games but not new console users? Yeaaaaaa ok why is that

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I just hope that most PC people keep hating gamepass, because even with the price hike it is ridiculous what you get.

Iced Arcade

$279 a year is hilarious 😂

They are totally in the position to charge whatever they want 😂 I never seen a company so disconnected from reality than Xbox this gen lol

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I read that the new limit for subs is 13 months? When does that start? This just indicates for me they are setting things up for more price increases more frequently.

Last edited:
Re

Receipts everywhere. Lol
You mean cherry picking mid complaints? Right. Difference between me and the real warriors is I complain about shit I bought when they fuck up, while they bitch about the other console which they never owned. So yeah, if you think that's a major gotcha, think again. Ask them to go dig up all the times I bitched about Xbox and praised PlayStation.

Bernardougf

$279 a year is hilarious 😂

They are totally in the position to charge whatever they want 😂 I never seen a company so disconnected from reality than Xbox this gen lol
They know they wont get any more growth right now.. they want to milk dry their loyal fanbase of gamepass users while they can since they will do an early next gen ... I expect some big changes with their new model/console ....I can see easily they doing a early next gen without any gamepass day one tier or a new next gen day one tier even more expensive. Who knows.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
$20/month is way too much for my play habits. I stacked during the Gold conversion days(~$6/month), so I still have 2yrs of GP Ultimate left. I'm moving on from subs after that. I'm pretty much a Deck/PC player these days, and between Steam sales/code resellers, and EGS giveaways, I just have way too much to play.

bender

What time is it?
The fuck does that even mean

Because I'm bored (this is eyeballed so forgive anything missing and typos):

Only on PC:

Against the Storm
Age of Empires DE
Age of Empires III DE
An Elder Scrols Legend: Battlespire
Arx Fatalis
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation
Battletech
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
Depersonalization
Dungeon Keeper 2
Dyson Sphere Program
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Firework
Halo Sparton Strike
Jade Empire
Keplerth
League of Legends
Legends of Runeterra
Manor Lords
Medal of Honor: Warchest
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Offworld Trading Company
Populous
Populous II
Populous: The Beginning
Quake 4
Quake III Arena
Return to Castle Wolfenstien
Rise of Nations
Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri
Sim City 3000
Sim City 2000
Sim City 4
Sim City Complete
Sins of a Solar Empire
Spore
Teamfight Tactics
Terra Invicta
The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redgaurd
The Saboteur
The Sims 3
Valorant
Wolfenstien 3-D

Only on Xbox:

Army of Two
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Batman Arkham Knight
Bejeweled 2
Bejeweled 3
Black
Blinx
Brutal Legend
Contrast
Control (non-Ultimate Edition which is on both PC/Xbox)
Costume Quest
Costume Quest 2
Crimson Skies
Dante's Inferno
DayZ
Dead Island 2
Dead Space Ignition
Dirt Rally 2.0
Doom (2016)
EA Sports UFC 3
Fable
Fable II
Fable III
Feeding Frenzy
Feeding Frenzy 2
Fight Night Champion
Fuzion Frenzy
Gears of War (non-Remake)
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War Judgement
Golden Eye 007
Halo 5
Heavy Weapon
Iron Brigade
Jetpac Refueled
JoyRide Turbo
Kameo
Kona
Lego 2K Drive
Massive Chalice
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
MLB The Show 24
NBA 2K24
NBA Live 19
NHL 23
NHL 24
NHL 94
Party Animals
Payday 2
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark 0
Rage
Rare Replay
Ryse: Son of Rome
Screamride
Skate
Skate 3
SSX
Stacking
State of Decay: Year-One
SteamWorld Dig
The Cave
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Quarry
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
The Walking Dead: Michonne Series
UFC 4
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata 2
Zuma
Zuma's Revenge

A lot of those exclusive titles to PC or Xbox is simply a matter of them not being available on the other platform. The recent titles missing from PC Game Pass that caught my eye was Dead Island 2 and The Quarry. Tastes will vary in the back catalogue and for sports titles but I certainly don't see a gap worthy of an $8 a month difference. We do see a lot of complaints about the Game Pass client on PC though.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So I’m reading that long time loyal Game Pass for Console subscribers won’t get CoD black ops 6 day one? What a slap in the face.

No, they will if they are already subscribed. New console subscribers as tomorrow will have to get Ultimate though.

Nydius

Earlier in the thread I believe I saw someone say that they’re doing this because they don’t want people to subscribe for only one month then drop… but it seems to me that increasing the price will only make more people do precisely that.

It’s still cheaper than buying a game at full retail but since day one releases are getting much fewer and far between, I think this will only increase the number of people who sub for a month then drop for several months until something else interesting drops. If it’s something they know they’ll play often, it would be cheaper overall to just buy the game outright, especially on sale.

Edit:
So…do existing GamePass users get day 1 games on standard or after our sub is done we have to get ultimate?

Shit is confusing

If you’re an existing GP Console subscriber, so long as you keep it set up as a recurring payment, you will keep your current level of access including day one games. They will also still allow prepaid cards until further notice. But if you let it lapse in any way, you have to choose one of the other plans.

Last edited:
Existing Xbox console GP subscribers can stick with what they have and get day one. If they let their sub lapse they have to choose between Standard (not day one) and Ultimate (day one).

Yeah.....it's a mess.

So I can continue paying for standard month to month and still get day 1?

Nydius

I’m locked into GP ultimate until late 2025, I wonder if I can switch to standard month to month and still get the cheaper rate…

I don’t think you can “downgrade” from Ultimate to plain Game Pass Console.

Since you’re already locked into Ultimate and they’re taking away the GP “Console” option tomorrow, when your sub reaches its end your only options will be Core, Standard (w/ no day one), or Ultimate.

Edit: I’m in the same boat, with my GP Ultimate expiring November 2025.

Last edited:
Top Bottom