• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One controller on PC. Led light, crappy software, firmware updates and other woes.

nkarafo

So today i tried to research a way to finally shut off that damn controller led light on the XBOX one controller that prevents me from playing in the dark, because of how bright it is and messes with my peripheral vision.
Till now i was using electrical tape that i had to cut very precisely so it won't interfere with the whole button press process. But that doesn't work very well because after a while the glue of the electrical tape turns into a residue goo that can't hold the sticker in place.

Anyway after searching a bit i found that maybe i should install the "xbox accessories" application, in order to be able to access some settings for my controller. And some people said there is a new option for dimming the light there. I don't really like installing bloat on my computer but if this is the only way to fix the issue then sure. So i installed it, opened it, it detected my controller and then... wait for it... It asks me to login to my XBOX profile! FFS are they serious? I have to login to some server only to change some settings on my fucking controller?

And if that's not bad enough, you can't just login from the Xbox accessories app that i just installed, no. I now also have to install another app simply called "Xbox" which is some kind of marketplace that i don't give a shit about. Then register an account that i don't need and login with my profile which i will never use anyway. All that just to access some SETTINGS ON MY CONTROLLER.

I thought what the hell, i came all this way, let's just do what they are asking and be done with it. At this point i just want to know if there is an option to dim the stupid light. So i installed the damn thing. I made a profile. II logged in and i finally reached the settings. And guess what. No option to dim the light. Just some swap button options. Back to Google then, i need an explanation for this.

Turns out i didn't try everything. There is a possibility that my controller has an old firmware and needs to be updated in order to have the option i'm so desperately looking for. But again, there is a catch. I'm still not sure if there is going to be an option even after that. And, more importantly, i have to do a firmware update. That means a small risk to brick the controller but also that it won't work as well as before after i do it. Right now it works fine (if you exclude the annoying led). So what if after the update it gets messed up? I won't even be able to downgrade it as there isn't such option.

So, GAF, what to do. I need to be able to switch off the led or dim it. But i don't want to mess up the controller. Is there any other way?

Firmware updates don't mess up xbox controllers.
And no there's no other way, I've dimmed my series controller on my xsx, but if I connect it to my pc, its back to full brightness, so it's not a setting that gets saved at the hardware level.

Sorcerer

I haven't turned my Xbox on in long time. But with the Elite 2 (also an Xbox one controller) I could have sworn the led light control was on the settings already on the console itself. I could be wrong.

nkarafo

Welcome to why I still use 360 controllers.
I still have a few 360 controllers but they all have weird deadzone issues and the sticks are much harder to push.

Firmware updates don't mess up xbox controllers.
And no there's no other way, I've dimmed my series controller on my xsx, but if I connect it to my pc, its back to full brightness, so it's not a setting that gets saved at the hardware level.
Do you know if this option is also available on the XBOX One controller?

Also, whatever, if it's not saved then what's the point?

Back to the electrical tape i suppose.

Buy a 8bitdo ultimate wireless and thank me later. Hall effect sticks. Really good dock that turns it on or off automatically. Really good dpad. Way better wireless connection. Best $50 I ever spent.
I’m a big fan of the Xbox controller, but so much this for PC. Love that thing. And it’s almost identical when you hold it, unless you are super picky (which to be fair, from the level of frustration in your post, I feel like you might be. A bit :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Last edited:

nkarafo

Buy a 8bitdo ultimate wireless and thank me later. Hall effect sticks. Really good dock that turns it on or off automatically. Really good dpad. Way better wireless connection. Best $50 I ever spent.
And what about the dongle? Does this controller have one for itself? Or do i also have to buy a bluetooth? I already have two that never worked right. I never had good experience with bluetooth controllers because of that. The reason i'm using an XBOX controller at all is it's official dongle and how it never causes any issues or disconnects. last thing i want to do is struggle with bluetooth settings that get lost after restarts, disconnects, input lag, etc.

Do you know if this option is also available on the XBOX One controller?

Also, whatever, if it's not saved then what's the point?
My xbo controller died a few years ago so I can't test it for you.
It's saved on the machine you set the brightness for, but it's not saved on the controller itself, this probably means you can't change it and then uninstall the apps.

nkarafo

My xbo controller died a few years ago so I can't test it for you.
It's saved on the machine you set the brightness for, but it's not saved on the controller itself, this probably means you can't change it and then uninstall the apps.
Right, that means if it works then i will always have to keep those apps in the background. And maybe also be logged in at all times.

Yeah, i think i prefer the light.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
And what about the dongle? Does this controller have one for itself? Or do i also have to buy a bluetooth? I already have two that never worked right. I never had good experience with bluetooth controllers because of that. The reason i'm using an XBOX controller at all is it's official dongle and how it never causes any issues or disconnects. last thing i want to do is struggle with bluetooth settings that get lost after restarts, disconnects, input lag, etc.

It comes with a dongle that is wayyyy better than the xbox one in my experience

D_N_G

Colored-Duct-Tape-3-Core-1-88-X-20-Yds-Black-Bundle-of-5-Rolls_465bf053-6b57-4321-b23e-9ba95742d5e5.bebc7b3884ed08f8191fdea120e6e3e4.jpeg

Edit: sorry saw you already tried this, but Duck tape is a little better than standard electrical tape for adhesion

Last edited:
So today i tried to research a way to finally shut off that damn controller led light on the XBOX one controller that prevents me from playing in the dark, because of how bright it is and messes with my peripheral vision.
Till now i was using electrical tape that i had to cut very precisely so it won't interfere with the whole button press process. But that doesn't work very well because after a while the glue of the electrical tape turns into a residue goo that can't hold the sticker in place.

Anyway after searching a bit i found that maybe i should install the "xbox accessories" application, in order to be able to access some settings for my controller. And some people said there is a new option for dimming the light there. I don't really like installing bloat on my computer but if this is the only way to fix the issue then sure. So i installed it, opened it, it detected my controller and then... wait for it... It asks me to login to my XBOX profile! FFS are they serious? I have to login to some server only to change some settings on my fucking controller?

And if that's not bad enough, you can't just login from the Xbox accessories app that i just installed, no. I now also have to install another app simply called "Xbox" which is some kind of marketplace that i don't give a shit about. Then register an account that i don't need and login with my profile which i will never use anyway. All that just to access some SETTINGS ON MY CONTROLLER.

I thought what the hell, i came all this way, let's just do what they are asking and be done with it. At this point i just want to know if there is an option to dim the stupid light. So i installed the damn thing. I made a profile. II logged in and i finally reached the settings. And guess what. No option to dim the light. Just some swap button options. Back to Google then, i need an explanation for this.

Turns out i didn't try everything. There is a possibility that my controller has an old firmware and needs to be updated in order to have the option i'm so desperately looking for. But again, there is a catch. I'm still not sure if there is going to be an option even after that. And, more importantly, i have to do a firmware update. That means a small risk to brick the controller but also that it won't work as well as before after i do it. Right now it works fine (if you exclude the annoying led). So what if after the update it gets messed up? I won't even be able to downgrade it as there isn't such option.

So, GAF, what to do. I need to be able to switch off the led or dim it. But i don't want to mess up the controller. Is there any other way?
I had the same problem and I used electrical duck tape too lol

nkarafo

It comes with a dongle that is wayyyy better than the xbox one in my experience
You ever had issues with the Microsoft dongle?

I have the second one (the smaller sized) for 5 or so years now and it's been perfect for me.

I really didn't want to buy a new controller just because of this stupid issue. Because other than that, the XBOXone controller feels nice. But maybe i'll bite, dunno. Maybe after i finish with my new build as i'm tight on budget right now.

How bright is the light on that controller though?

Tried that already. Doesn't work. Sweaty fingers can dissolve any permanent ink with messy results.

nkarafo

Excuse me, woman colors?

Their website only showed this so I looked at Amazon too, it's all pastels lol. I thought "girl" because they look like the toys my child niece gets.

rDRZMbu.jpeg
Yeah, those look ugly as sin. I mean, i shouldn't care about how a controller looks but it's like they are trying to make it harder for you on purpose.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Tried that already. Doesn't work. Sweaty fingers can dissolve any permanent ink with messy results.
That's weird, i even "fix" my car's paint from time to time with this and have no problems with rain. Isn't the only light in the on/off button which you barely use?

BlackTron

Yeah, those look ugly as sin. I mean, i shouldn't care about how a controller looks but it's like they are trying to make it harder for you on purpose.

I may have impulse bought one right now because I didn't realize they made a pad with hall sticks and Nintendo style d-pad for thirty bucks. But gotta wait for a normal color.

nkarafo

Aside from the light, Xbox One controller has always been plug and play for me, am I missing something?
It is plug and play. But not the xbox accessories app that gives you some extra options.

That's weird, i even "fix" my car's paint from time to time with this and have no problems with rain. Isn't the only light in the on/off button which you barely use?
Sweaty fingers are waaay worse than rain.

Also, i do access this button quite often because i use it as a "home" or "menu" in various emulation frontends and RetroArch. It's the only button left, all the others are used for gameplay.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I went through the same exact journey (but with the series controller) few weeks ago as you OP
My findings lead me to the realization that theres no way to disable the light on PC at all and that id have to buy their console just to do that, the app cannot do that regardless of updates.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I would look at guides for disassembling the controller. One of two scenarios:
  1. The controller has a dedicated LED power wire that you can safely snip
  2. You'll be able to access the LED and put tape directly over it, which you won't see from outside
Failing that the 8bitdo Ultimate seems to be a solid direct replacement option.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I use xbox one S now, and never had issues with it, although some older game doesnt recognize it.
rarely the connection to windows is kinda wonky...

but i can rework by disconnect it and restart, and working as intended.

i never update their driver or something.
i once broke my windows because of that.

i never install anything. just connect it and go.

I'm starting to use wireless since 2019.
back before Logitech F520 or something since 2011,
only broke when my friend uses it for pro evolution soccer. so, i bought twice.
never broke since 2015(?). the drawback is no vibration and wired. but i can use it.
it's finally broke when my intern borrow it for phantasy star 2, and he is kind of
hardware destroyer.

all of my friends at studio using 8bitdo though. i want to buy 8bitdo, but well,
i dont know what to say to my wife, as I buy two xbox controllers (one and S)

nkarafo

You'll be able to access the LED and put tape directly over it, which you won't see from outside
I was thinking about this myself, yeah. I remember i already had to disassemble the controller to fix something on the d-pad so i'm familiar with the process. This will be the next thing i try then. Cover the led somehow, not snip it. I still want the indicator just not that bright.

Wonko_C

It's funny (not really) how the Dualshock 4 and the Dualsense paired with DS4Windows are better X-input controllers than the ones Xbox makes. I've used them for years and never had issues. Xbox controllers OTOH? random disconnects, some games don't want to get along with it, some emulators go crazy when there is more than one connected, etc.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Fuck that light. OP please let us know if you ever find an easy way to turn it off.

Pantz

It's still bright even if you dim it. I also wish it could be turned off.
Same as my main complaint for the PS5 console. I wish I could turn off the lights from my PC too.

Rivdoric

Red paint/stick over the button will turn the light to... red and make this less of an annoyance as a last resort.
Red lights are often used by us amateur astronomers.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Fuck that light. OP please let us know if you ever find an easy way to turn it off.
Instead of taping the button, use tape to attach a little flap that covers it. It'll still look less silly than a tricked Game Boy Color.
My next trick will be to open the controller and see if i can cover the led from the inside, so there isn't a sticker outside.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You ever had issues with the Microsoft dongle?

I have the second one (the smaller sized) for 5 or so years now and it's been perfect for me.

I really didn't want to buy a new controller just because of this stupid issue. Because other than that, the XBOXone controller feels nice. But maybe i'll bite, dunno. Maybe after i finish with my new build as i'm tight on budget right now.

How bright is the light on that controller though?

Maybe I was just unlucky but I had issues with multiple Xbox dongles. I made a thread about the 8bitdo a while ago.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I,ve never had an issue with mine. It's as easy as plug and play.

Edit: Wait, Xbox ONE? I meant Series controller.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I only needed to enter it once, so it's getting saved somewhere
I tried to install this through STEAM and it says "Driver Installation Failed".

OH WELL.

Edit: I tried the command anyway and it reported that it was successful and it saved it but the light didn't change.
So now i need to figure out why STEAM doesn't enable this option for me.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

In my almost new Xbox Series controller the left stick started to drift. Also my Xone and Series controllers randomly lost and regained connection using official dongle, and being 2m from the dongle.
Now I switched to 8bitdo and so far so good, zero issues.

BlackTron

In my almost new Xbox Series controller the left stick started to drift. Also my Xone and Series controllers randomly lost and regained connection using official dongle, and being 2m from the dongle.
Now I switched to 8bitdo and so far so good, zero issues.

Yea I had the same experience with the newer official dongles. 360 still 100% reliable.

keefged4

I have went through just about every controller imaginable on PC, and honestly the Dualsense is the best overall option, or the 8bitdo ultimate.

Rockman33

Every single accessory I own for PC has software. Headset, mouse, keyboard and mic. But for SOME reason the Xbox controller is the problem… PC gamers are the biggest gamer complainers there is.

Top Bottom