• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Colbert

Banned
Good article...I thought all games would offer downsampling though and not be at the discretion of the developpers...

To be able to downsample a game needs a frame buffer above 1080p. So there is this little technical requirement, yes!

I'm kind of happy that pre-orders haven't gone live yet. I'm really indecisive and most likely would have placed/cancelled my pre-order on Amazon at least 10 times by now. Instead I had that debate without messing up my order history!

Still need to watch out for these for my best bud though. He's crazy enough to buy this + a 4K TV this year. Wish I had that kind of expendable income.

Enordash

Lol.

Yeah you got it :D

As someone who works for a Belgian company, you'd think I'd be used to seeing it by now. :/

I hope we get some sort of fair warning on pre-orders opening although maybe this won't really be that hard to secure. I don't know what to expect.

I'm kind of happy that pre-orders haven't gone live yet. I'm really indecisive and most likely would have placed/cancelled my pre-order on Amazon at least 10 times by now. Instead I had that debate without messing up my order history!

Still need to watch out for these for my best bud though. He's crazy enough to buy this + a 4K TV this year. Wish I had that kind of expendable income.

I've been going back and forth as well. I went through a similar thing with the Switch. So where have you landed on the decision? Am I a crazy idiot if I'm sporting a GTX 1070 but still want the X?

As someone who works for a Belgian company, you'd think I'd be used to seeing it by now. :/

I hope we get some sort of fair warning on pre-orders opening although maybe this won't really be that hard to secure. I don't know what to expect.

I've been going back and forth as well. I went through a similar thing with the Switch. So where have you landed on the decision? Am I a crazy idiot if I'm sporting a GTX 1070 but still want the X?

Going off of past consoles, I don't think you'll need to rush anywhere to secure a pre-order for one of these. Hell, PS4 was completely sold out for months after launch but I was able to nab a pre-order like a week or two beforehand. I think Sony/MS are really good at delivering on existing orders, it's just regular stock you may have to worry about.

As for my decision, I'm currently thinking I'll pass on this. I don't own a 4K TV and really don't have an issue with the way games look on my One S. I'd need to see something that looks mind-blowingly different on the One X to convince me to buy in at this point. It also doesn't help that there are a ton of Switch games I want this year so that eats up almost all of my available gaming budget.

I don't think you'd be crazy for buying one if you're already interested in things looking as good as they can. Especially not if you own a 4K TV!

Enordash

Going off of past consoles, I don't think you'll need to rush anywhere to secure a pre-order for one of these. Hell, PS4 was completely sold out for months after launch but I was able to nab a pre-order like a week or two beforehand. I think Sony/MS are really good at delivering on existing orders, it's just regular stock you may have to worry about.

I remember seeing a huge stack of PS4 Pros available on the Best Buy floor. I am kind of assuming the X will be similarly available.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I remember seeing a huge stack of PS4 Pros available on the Best Buy floor. I am kind of assuming the X will be similarly available.

They may be. What I don't understand is, if it costs zero $ to pre-order a console you want on Amazon.com, or at Best Buy for example, why would you not? A person isn't out money, they can choose where to pick it up or have it shipped, etc. I'm talking about early pre-order, not wait in line to get a spot at the last minute pre-order. I don't think I follow the issue.

Enordash

They may be. What I don't understand is, if it costs zero $ to pre-order a console you want on Amazon.com, or at Best Buy for example, why would you not? A person isn't out money, they can choose where to pick it up or have it shipped, etc. I'm talking about early pre-order, not wait in line to get a spot at the last minute pre-order. I don't think I follow the issue.

I'm not really arguing against preordering or anything. I was just wondering what the stock will be like in the long run. I'm currently planning on preordering immediately regardless.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

The difference is that I think MS will tell people the X exists.

Darklor01

I'm not really arguing against preordering or anything. I was just wondering what the stock will be like in the long run. I'm currently planning on preordering immediately regardless.

Please don't misunderstand. I actually understood that you weren't saying that. I think I was agreeing with you, but at the same time questioning why people don't pre-order online for a console at the least rather than play the lottery with whether a store will have them for sale or not without one.

Enordash

Please don't misunderstand. I actually understood that you weren't saying that. I think I was agreeing with you, but at the same time questioning why people don't pre-order online for a console at the least rather than play the lottery with whether a store will have them for sale or not without one.

I suppose if you were planning on preordering at Gamestop you'd have to throw down some cash. The only real benefit to doing so is the possibility of a midnight launch (if you care about such things) and trade in deals if you are planning on getting rid of your current console. You could technically trade in toward Amazon credit via Gamestop, but you'd miss out on any promotions that may happen surrounding the X. I do plan on trading in my S, so I may end up going the Gamestop route even though I avoid them whenever possible.

Edit: But yea, I agree with you that pre-ordering at Amazon and similar places is a no-brainer as it requires no investment.

Darklor01

I suppose if you were planning on preordering at Gamestop you'd have to throw down some cash. The only real benefit to doing so is the possibility of a midnight launch (if you care about such things) and trade in deals if you are planning on getting rid of your current console. You could technically trade in toward Amazon credit via Gamestop, but you'd miss out on any promotions that may happen surrounding the X. I do plan on trading in my S, so I may end up going the Gamestop route even though I avoid them whenever possible.

I avoid shopping at Gamestop these days. I would normally be pre-ordering with Best Buy or Amazon.com. I don't see a reason for anyone who is interested in getting a console on day one not doing this unless all pre-orders are already allocated when they try.

In this case, I'm going with Gamestop because I'll have way more than paid off the console with credit from their trade in promotion. A bonus to doing this through Gamestop in this one isolated case is that when you full-pay for a product at Gamestop with Trad-in credit, that wipes off the sales tax from the sale. In my case, that's like not paying for it with out of pocket cash, guaranteeing I get one day one locally, and on top of that, save about $30 in tax.

Otherwise, and in general, Gamestop gives me little/no reason to continue to do business with them.

Enordash

I avoid shopping at Gamestop these days. I would normally be pre-ordering with Best Buy or Amazon.com. I don't see a reason for anyone who is interested in getting a console on day one not doing this unless all pre-orders are already allocated when they try.

In this case, I'm going with Gamestop because I'll have way more than paid off the console with credit from their trade in promotion. A bonus to doing this through Gamestop in this one isolated case is that when you full-pay for a product at Gamestop with Trad-in credit, that wipes off the sales tax from the sale. In my case, that's like not paying for it with out of pocket cash, guaranteeing I get one day one locally, and on top of that, save about $30 in tax.

Otherwise, and in general, Gamestop gives me little/no reason to continue to do business with them.

Yea, I think we can agree that avoiding Gamestop when possible is definitely for the best. I did pre-order the Switch through there just so I could get it early on launch day rather than have to wait for the mail to come through. I went in shortly after to try and get a case. They claimed to have the one I wanted at another store so they'd just have it shipped over and call when it arrived. They finally called a couple weeks later saying they had it in the store and it turned out to be a completely different one. Different brand and everything. I suppose this isn't really the thread to be hating, lol.

I'm still likely going to preorder there so I can trade in my S because I'm lazy and don't want to go the Craigslist route :/

ASaiyan

Banned
Has this still not been FCC cleared? I get not wanting the final design to leak, but they really should've taken care of this by now, lol. Missed out on directly converting E3 hype into preorders.

Colbert

Banned
Has this still not been FCC cleared? I get not wanting the final design to leak, but they really should've taken care of this by now, lol. Missed out on directly converting E3 hype into preorders.

FCC is only one authority they have to get certification from. They want to launch worldwide which means they have to get certifications in all that countries too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just baffling how they still don't have Amazon preorders up in UK. I've concluded that I'll get one just in case.

I was listening to Major Nelson Radio and the topic of pre orders came up towards the end.

https://majornelson.com/podcast/603-a-midsummer-gaming-discussion/

He said something a long the lines of 'I know that team are working hard on some surprises..... There is he headline right there'.

What could MS have planned for pre orders, the way they are talking about them feels like more than just a 'bundled' game and an extra Game Pass subscription.

Official trade in program?
Elite Controller with Day One Pre orders?
A Day One Xbox One X
Achievement lol
?

I am curious and hope it's not too gimmicky. I'd appreciate anything really, I just want to pre order.

Frostman

I was listening to Major Nelson Radio and the topic of pre orders came up towards the end.

https://majornelson.com/podcast/603-a-midsummer-gaming-discussion/

He said something a long the lines of 'I know that team are working hard on some surprises..... There is he headline right there'.

What could MS have planned for pre orders, the way they are talking about them feels like more than just a 'bundled' game and an extra Game Pass subscription.

Official trade in program?
Elite Controller with Day One Pre orders?
A Day One Xbox One X
Achievement lol
?

I am curious and hope it's not too gimmicky. I'd appreciate anything really, I just want to pre order.

We've been hearing the talk about a 'surprise' thrown around since E3, and to be honest with you I have no idea what it could be. I do think that it could be a slight trap for people setting high expectations and then being disappointed, so expecting an elite controller bundled in for free is a bit of a stretch.

An official trade in program seems the most realistic, but then again, will MS take that hit?

And as you said, I also just want to pre-order lmao.

Darklor01

I was hoping this thread wouldn't get bumped until it was actually possible to preorder.

E92 M3

Hell, if you buy three you'll have XXXs.

gl3x9v7.png

Hawk269

Hope there is a 2tb edition like the S

This is what I am hoping for. Although I have an external 512gb & a external 5tb HDD, it still is not clear about the internal HDD and how they get the 50% increase. If it is just a 7200rpm HDD coupled with the faster memory and bandwidth or did they do something else? Will 7200 external and SSD have the same advantage as their internal HDD?

Hawk269

I'm saying Elite controller for pre-orders.

If they are willing to give away a $149.99 controller, be better to drop the system to $399.99 and get more sales that way. In other words, no way they give away a $149.99 controller for FREE with the purchase of the system.

I am thinking it will be a Free game (newer) and 3 older (enhanced for 4k) games. Only issue with the older games is that some of us most likely have a lot of the older games.

Bsigg12

If they are willing to give away a $149.99 controller, be better to drop the system to $399.99 and get more sales that way. In other words, no way they give away a $149.99 controller for FREE with the purchase of the system.

I am thinking it will be a Free game (newer) and 3 older (enhanced for 4k) games. Only issue with the older games is that some of us most likely have a lot of the older games.

The Elite probably only costs them $30-40 per controller. The console sounds like it is being sold as close to cost as they can. Bundling games/controllers is far less of a hit to them then taking a $100 hit on each console.

It would be kinda dumb to not have a crackdown SKU. It would be cool if 1 and 2 went backwards compat and they included 1 and 2 with 3 as well. Id get the higher sku if it came with crackdown.

I got over $600 from the gamestop trade flip thing, burning a hole in my pocket

giphy.webp

Bsigg12

It would be kinda dumb to not have a crackdown SKU. It would be cool if 1 and 2 went backwards compat and they included 1 and 2 with 3 as well. Id get the higher sku if it came with crackdown.

I got over $600 from the gamestop trade flip thing, burning a hole in my pocket

giphy.webp

I would be all for all Xbox One Xs having the Crackdown franchise bundled in.

I just got $250 back in credit from the Microsoft Store for turning in my faulty Microsoft Band 2 [I had an extended warranty]. Will the Microsoft Store website offer an option to preorder/purchase? I checked but I didn't see an option for even a reminder email when preorders are available.

Top Bottom