• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

cakely

This thread keeps getting bumped but it's ... not available for pre-order yet?

Did anyone here figure out when it's going to happen? I don't really want to read the whole thread.

cucuchu

Does anyone have a link to where FCC posts their approvals specific to Microsoft? I tried navigating their website but I am not finding anything worthwhile.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Did anyone here figure out when it's going to happen? I don't really want to read the whole thread.
No one knows, supposedly they are waiting on FCC device approval..which you would think would be any day now..

Colbert

Banned

I got the info that pre-order starts August (to have the time to certify in all launch countries). If they get certifications earlier they may offer it to an earlier date. But you should expect August from what I hear from people that talked with MS representatives at E3.

I've been looking for a reason to hop back onto the Xbox ecosystem. I loved the UI, controller, XBL... Really, everything to do with the OS in general. Even the TV calibration process is great. I just didn't like the actual performance of the system.

Looks like I just got my reason. Plus I've been looking for a machine to take advantage of 4k and HDR. I'll be buying the X and a 4K HDR TV together when the console releases. Unfortunately no preorders on Amazon Spain either...

Lima

I've been looking for a reason to hop back onto the Xbox ecosystem. I loved the UI, controller, XBL... Really, everything to do with the OS in general. Even the TV calibration process is great. I just didn't like the actual performance of the system.

Looks like I just got my reason. Plus I've been looking for a machine to take advantage of 4k and HDR. I'll be buying the X and a 4K HDR TV together when the console releases. Unfortunately no preorders on Amazon Spain either...

It's not like you have to pre-order it in Spain. That country is such a Sony fortress that they won't be hard to find.

It's not like you have to pre-order it in Spain. That country is such a Sony fortress that they won't be hard to find.

I want to get it through Amazon because of their superb customer service, but I've had bad experiences getting stuff on launch day when preordering close to said launch day.

So I wanna preorder as soon as possible just in case.

It blows my mind this thing lacks Dolby Vision for games and movies.

Could have been a big differentiator between it and the PS4 (Pro)/XB1S as well as a big reason to upgrade from 1S for enthusiasts.

Could have been a big differentiator between it and the PS4 (Pro)/XB1S as well as a big reason to upgrade from 1S for enthusiasts.

Don't think so at all.
And what game is using Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 anyway? Is there a single one?

gamz

Dolby Vision requires a license and HDR is supported by all the leading TV manufacturers. Why is your mind blown? Or perhaps you didn't know Dolby Vision is the same as HDR?

I'm sure MS can update it but currently HDR is the bigger deal and I don't see that changing anytime soon .

EmiPrime

That would be a huge waste of money in licensing fees. Nobody owns a DV TV and AV receiver and games are being made for HDR10.

e90Mark

True. Recent news about 1X not supporting DV is stopping me from upgrading from my 1S. Waiting to see if this changes, but I will go the way of a standalone once DV movies that I want to get start hitting the shelves.

spookyfish

Oppo have heavily hinted that its Oppo 203 UHD player will be able to be updated to be DV-compliant. I feel the same is more than likely possible for the XOX as well.

NeOak

True. Recent news about 1X not supporting DV is stopping me from upgrading from my 1S. Waiting to see if this changes, but I will go the way of a standalone once DV movies that I want to get start hitting the shelves.

Do you even know how much of a pain in the ass is to support Dolby Vision?

HDR10 is the non propietary standard

Oppo have heavily hinted that its Oppo 203 UHD player will be able to be updated to be DV-compliant. I feel the same is more than likely possible for the XOX as well.

The Oppo 203 was updated for Dolby Vision compatibility about a month ago. Works perfectly. There's a few 4K UHD titles that already support Dolby Vision as well. Reviews have suggested it's a significant step up from HDR10.

e90Mark

Do you even know how much of a pain in the ass is to support Dolby Vision?

HDR10 is the non propietary standard

And I'm all for non-proprietary standards, even wishing HDR12 would be the standard for ST.2084 10000.

But between the two current formats and with a software based solution, I can hope my existing device would support DV.

Bsigg12

Has it been discussed if there will be a white version of the X? I much prefer that to the black one they've been showing.

With it launching in November, probably not until next year.

Microsoft loves their limited edition consoles though so we could see something for Assassin's Creed or Crackdown with a different color but I wouldn't count on it.

How likely is it that there is a game bundled with it (at 500$) ?
Like Forza 7 or Crackdown

We'll see when they open pre-orders. I could see something like the rumored Recore Definitive Edition as a way to get the game out and have a 4K game ship with the system for free. Not any of this holidays main titles, at least at $499.

cucuchu

Initially I would say not likely at all, especially if all preorders are snapped up in short order. MAYBE a holiday deal if they feel they need to push it but since they are barely breaking even (or close) on each X1X sold, bundles at $499 would probably be a last resort for them.

It wouldn't be a new game. But a couple of upgrading pack-ins like Horizon 3 or Gears 4 seems like a cheap solution for MS to add value.

Of course, the likely demo for the X will already have one or both games, but its something.

I was on the fence about preordering a One X, but I ordered one of those TCL P series tvs and should receive it tomorrow. Since I will now have a 4K tv with HDR, might as well grab the One X since I can take full advantage of what it has to offer.

I was on the fence about preordering a One X, but I ordered one of those TCL P series tvs and should receive it tomorrow. Since I will now have a 4K tv with HDR, might as well grab the One X since I can take full advantage of what it has to offer.

Oh damn, congrats! The Xbox One X has been a decisional rollercoaster for me. The price turned me off at first, but then hype got to me and I decided I wanted one. Now I think I'm back at reality and realizing that the improvements for my 1080p TV won't be enough to justify that price tag. Good luck to all who want it! I'll still be keeping an eye out for pre-orders either way as I have a few friends that are interested.

gamz

How is that TCL P? I keep seeing it in threads on Gaf.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wonder what the Xbox S trade in value will be and what Gamestop will offer as a trade in bonus. I recall trading in my old Xbox One and PS4 together and getting the Xbox S, 2 controllers and a game with little cost at all.

Hoping they'll do a $200 trade in for the Xbox One S.

How is that TCL P? I keep seeing it in threads on Gaf.

curious about this as well, looking at the vizio summer tvs but now idk

I ordered it Saturday from Best Buy and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. Give me a bit after that to put it through its paces and I'll let you know what I think. Early reviews I've read have been pretty great though, especially for a $600 tv.

Oh damn, congrats! The Xbox One X has been a decisional rollercoaster for me. The price turned me off at first, but then hype got to me and I decided I wanted one. Now I think I'm back at reality and realizing that the improvements for my 1080p TV won't be enough to justify that price tag. Good luck to all who want it! I'll still be keeping an eye out for pre-orders either way as I have a few friends that are interested.

Was a rollercoaster for me too. Was seriously considering holding off, but since I jumped on the 4K tv train I figured I might as well do it.

Wonder what the Xbox S trade in value will be and what Gamestop will offer as a trade in bonus. I recall trading in my old Xbox One and PS4 together and getting the Xbox S, 2 controllers and a game with little cost at all.

There are already bundles out there with brand-new S consoles -- for $200. Several of them in the last week from different retailers. Highly doubtful they will give you $200 as a trade-in when the unit itself is now selling for that price or slightly more.

Before E3 the One S 500Gb was at $150 IIRC. Now it's down to $100 but they offer a $50 bonus when trading towards a new Xbox One S. If I had to bet I'd say $150 max for the 500Gb model come November. $200 would most likely the be 2Tb version.

spannicus

Probably 100 with 50 dollar bonus if anything. As posted new ones are going for 250. Throw in a few used games or whatever and you are golden. Thats what im gonna do.

Before E3 the One S 500Gb was at $150 IIRC. Now it's down to $100 but they offer a $50 bonus when trading towards a new Xbox One S. If I had to bet I'd say $150 max for the 500Gb model come November. $200 would most likely the be 2Tb version.

I'm crossing my fingers for $200 for the 1TB S.

LowSignal

Maybe they will add the option to buy the license to use it for $10 like Dolby Atmos

Don't think so at all.
And what game is using Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 anyway? Is there a single one?
No games use Dolby Vision yet, because it's not yet supported by any consoles. And HDR on PC is only just starting to get some support, so consoles have to lead the way here.

That would be a huge waste of money in licensing fees. Nobody owns a DV TV and AV receiver and games are being made for HDR10.

Yet Dolby Atmos is a more worthwhile inclusion?

DV is gaining ground quickly, most notably due to the popularity of LG OLEDs. Sony is on board now too, and as you may know Sony's been doing very well in TVs lately.

It makes a lot of sense to include it, given the fact they're shelling out extra for UHD Blu-Ray playback and they want to position this above the S.
Dolby Vision requires a license and HDR is supported by all the leading TV manufacturers. Why is your mind blown? Or perhaps you didn't know Dolby Vision is the same as HDR?

I'm sure MS can update it but currently HDR is the bigger deal and I don't see that changing anytime soon .
HDR10 isn't the bigger deal per se, but it's definitely the lesser version of HDR. So for a high-end console, you want the higher-end option.
If they intend on offering it, I'd expect it out the gate. Microsoft likes to flaunt spec sheets at this point in the race, so I don't think they'll offer it given they're not doing so now.
Maybe they will add the option to buy the license to use it for $10 like Dolby Atmos
That would be sweet...

spookyfish

The Oppo 203 was updated for Dolby Vision compatibility about a month ago. Works perfectly. There's a few 4K UHD titles that already support Dolby Vision as well. Reviews have suggested it's a significant step up from HDR10.

Ah. I wasn't aware, but that's good news. I knew Despicable Me 1 and 2 were going to be in Dolby Vision: it's good to know Oppo's up to date now.

Top Bottom