• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

cormack12

Gold Member
So xbox gaf, i did a thing......im part of the crew, too!!

zPl6FvR.jpg

So xbox gaf, i did a thing......im part of the crew, too!!

zPl6FvR.jpg

I5CBrWz.jpg

So completely virgin account, whats the cheapest/best way to get gold and gpu for ages?

Not sure if it's the cheapest, but this one works out at $4.42 per month for 3 years of GPU.

Look into MS Rewards too, as it's possible to get Game Pass for free with them, if you have the time.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got grounded, halo 5, ori and a few others. There are some solid games on there as well like outer worlds, remnant from the ashes etc

Last edited:

Roberts

Guys, don't sleep on We Happy Few. I kind of dismissed it when it came after thanks to mediocre reviews. But I've been playing for the last two days and enjoying every weird minute of it. First of all, 60 fps on XSX makes a lot of difference (unfortunately, framerate dips below that here and there, but it is not terrible in the slightest). Change FOV to something like 100 and that will make the gameplay more appealing.

Visually and aesthetically the game itself is obviously inspired by Bioshock, but gameplay is more like Dishonored with lots of sneaking and stuff. Lots of attention to detail, British humour and it is weird AF which doesn't happen enough in bigger games. MS were smart to acquire Compulsion Games - these guys are up to something.

Concern

Whoa, Halo 5 is much better than people would have you believe :eek:

Scrolling through gamepass and EA Play now like

5AaSp8DlGLVzscjKcTEoujQeipvsX7sPvhp7pF54rZBNmZFL1VcP9dw7uNclQFTop-7kZYYRXql2cKaiuDVXqTfObe4NyCSWDsLENmb3C6Cp0hb0xw8l7wyJWmhbnAj3YYVxJ2zSJEPtfRCm0AfbXdNqkAhpes3L_R0

Shame I didn't know I was getting it. Would deffo have got CP2077 and some others on there.

I believe Best Buy has a B2G1F next-gen games deal this week iirc. Oh never mind cp2077 doesn't count anyway lol.

How did you manage to even find a console?

cormack12

Gold Member
I believe Best Buy has a B2G1F next-gen games deal this week iirc. Oh never mind cp2077 doesn't count anyway lol.

How did you manage to even find a console?

My missus absolutely battered all the stock notifications etc. from the stockchecker and discord. Eventually she got one from George of all fucking places, lol. She was getting something else and just saw they had some in stock on an off chance. It's a christmas miracle!! I'm not complaining like, she did well. I had no idea and I was moaning as well cos I had to wait in for the delivery. Thought it was a scarf or jumper so was bitching about it all day. Felt bad when I opened it man, lol. So yeah unboxed, checked it all worked, did the updates, set up accounts/GPU and now it might as well stay out the box :) Very pleased with the situation anyway

Concern

My missus absolutely battered all the stock notifications etc. from the stockchecker and discord. Eventually she got one from George of all fucking places, lol. She was getting something else and just saw they had some in stock on an off chance. It's a christmas miracle!! I'm not complaining like, she did well. I had no idea and I was moaning as well cos I had to wait in for the delivery. Thought it was a scarf or jumper so was bitching about it all day. Felt bad when I opened it man, lol. So yeah unboxed, checked it all worked, did the updates, set up accounts/GPU and now it might as well stay out the box :) Very pleased with the situation anyway

Nice. I chose to wait and even gave my Ps5 preorder away to a friend. Only now getting the FOMO because of CP2077 lol.

What??:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_

I think like 99.999999% of people who played will say the opposite lol
can't lie I enjoyed it, but more outdoor sections would have been welcome, I try not to rip games apart like many, story i could care less about in any game so that doesn't bother me, I enjoyed the traversal options.

Concern

can't lie I enjoyed it, but more outdoor sections would have been welcome, I try not to rip games apart like many, story i could care less about in any game so that doesn't bother me, I enjoyed the traversal options.

I couldn't take more than one chapter of the story. Multiplayer was actually a big step in the right direction compared to 4 imo.

But with 343's focus on diversity over talent, I have no hope for infinite now.

Really, really good interview with Sarah Bond about Game Pass, how it gives devs creative freedom/security and getting Xbox's foot in the door with Japanese content etc

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What??:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_

I think like 99.999999% of people who played will say the opposite lol
If you are not fan of Halo (better put, you don't care about it), it's a great shooter to play. Not going to lie and co-op is just icying on the cake.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Guys, don't sleep on We Happy Few. I kind of dismissed it when it came after thanks to mediocre reviews. But I've been playing for the last two days and enjoying every weird minute of it. First of all, 60 fps on XSX makes a lot of difference (unfortunately, framerate dips below that here and there, but it is not terrible in the slightest). Change FOV to something like 100 and that will make the gameplay more appealing.

Visually and aesthetically the game itself is obviously inspired by Bioshock, but gameplay is more like Dishonored with lots of sneaking and stuff. Lots of attention to detail, British humour and it is weird AF which doesn't happen enough in bigger games. MS were smart to acquire Compulsion Games - these guys are up to something.

I so glad you said that. I thought I was the only person in the world that liked We Happy Few. I fell in love with it at the first reveal and followed it until launch, but it got such horrible reviews I passed on it and forgot about it until I got GP and saw it was on there.

I figured it wouldn't cost anything to try it on GP even though I figured it would suck. I ended up loving it as much as I thought I would. Janky as hell, but so weird unique and I had a ton of fun with this game. I guess it's just not a game for everybody or even most people.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
To me, Master Chief is still in that Halo 3 ship, sleeping for some epic battle, far in the future.

I don’t hate what 343 has done in terms of story (Cortana and Chief in Halo 4 was really, really strong) but it’s all so underwhelming, forced, retcon-y, tonally wrong, and jumping all over the place.
Couldn't agree more. The original Halo trilogy had my interest the entire way through when it comes to lore and the various little breadcrumb trails, but I can't even find a single thing worth carrying about in the current Halo story.

Concern

If you are not fan of Halo (better put, you don't care about it), it's a great shooter to play. Not going to lie and co-op is just icying on the cake.

What are you on about? Most people hated the campaign and liked multiplayer. Where did you come to the conclusion that im not a fan of Halo? Please don't jump into random discussions without knowing the context of it.

Concern

To me, Master Chief is still in that Halo 3 ship, sleeping for some epic battle, far in the future.

I don’t hate what 343 has done in terms of story (Cortana and Chief in Halo 4 was really, really strong) but it’s all so underwhelming, forced, retcon-y, tonally wrong, and jumping all over the place.

The more 343 has done with Halo, the more I really would love to see how Bungie would have continued from that ending in 3.

M1chl

What are you on about? Most people hated the campaign and liked multiplayer. Where did you come to the conclusion that im not a fan of Halo? Please don't jump into random discussions without knowing the context of it.
Nah, I did not meant it like that, I am talking from my perspective. I hope that's how English works.

CatLady

Performance Mode, post 1.04 patch

OMG that's hilarious. The much maligned Series S looks better than the PS5. Night City is a very lonely place, at least on the PS5 🤪

cormack12 cormack12 Congratz on your new console and on having an awesome wife. Welcome to the darkside. We just lost one of our top quality posters to the great console warz recently so hopefully you won't be a stranger here, since you are definitely one of GAF's top quality posters..

Roberts

I figured it wouldn't cost anything to try it on GP even though I figured it would suck. I ended up loving it as much as I thought I would. Janky as hell, but so weird unique and I had a ton of fun with this game. I guess it's just not a game for everybody or even most people.

It is a bit janky, but not in a way that ruins the experience - haven't encountered any substantial bugs and Ai while not particularly advanced isn't all that much more stupid than in other stealth games, but, yeah, the key here is the atmosphere. Despite its clear influences, It is kind of unique where weird, silly, hilarious., tragic and serious intersect in some interesting ways.

CatLady

Does anyone think it's weird that Xbox doesn't include a free trial of Game Pass Ultimate with the new consoles? They always used to have a card with a code for a 10 or 14 day free trial of Live Gold in all the consoles I've bought in the past, but there was nothing with my Series X.

I don't really care since I have a few years of GPU, but I thought it odd they didn't have something for people new to the Xbox eco-system since it's the greatest thing ever in gaming and the feature they are pushing the hardest. It seems like a big missed opportunity to me.

M1chl

Does anyone think it's weird that Xbox doesn't include a free trial of Game Pass Ultimate with the new consoles? They always used to have a card with a code for a 10 or 14 day free trial of Live Gold in all the consoles I've bought in the past, but there was nothing with my Series X.

I don't really care since I have a few years of GPU, but I thought it odd they didn't have something for people new to the Xbox eco-system since it's the greatest thing ever in gaming and the feature they are pushing the hardest. It seems like a big missed opportunity to me.
GamePass is the way how they recoup the money for it, I believe that basically the loss on the consoles is really high (especially XSS), that they are not doing this and hoping that you sub to that.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

A one month trial would have been a decent replacement for a lack of built in tech demo like the PS5 and Astro's Playroom

Last edited:

CatLady

GamePass is the way how they recoup the money for it, I believe that basically the loss on the consoles is really high (especially XSS), that they are not doing this and hoping that you sub to that.

That's my point. Give people that have never had GP before, a 14-day or 1 month trial to see how awesome it is so they WILL subscribe to it.

M1chl

That's my point. Give people that have never had GP before, a 14-day or 1 month trial to see how awesome it is so they WILL subscribe to it.
Yeah I can see that 14 days trial for normal GP. Sure that's strange omnition. Especially with all those EA Play games now.

-Arcadia-

Banned
All I’ll say is that I wasn’t sure about GamePass when I got my One X. It sounded awesome, but adding another monthly sub, you know.

After a free month, I pretty much determined it was the most important thing I could be subscribed to and made room.

I really think giving customers a taste is important. I guess you can argue that if you’ve bought an Xbox anyway, you’re going to give it a try at some point, which, fair. All I know is that experience instantly won me over, instead of me hemming and hawing for months before doing it.

Actually, are we sure it isn’t just built in digitally? Like an option to try it for one month on the console itself?

Mr.ODST

Enjoying my Series S to accompany my Series X in my main room, nice little machine, gutted my DPad is broke (the up on the DPad doesnt work properly) and have to wait 48 hours to request a replacement argh

CatLady

All I’ll say is that I wasn’t sure about GamePass when I got my One X. It sounded awesome, but adding another monthly sub, you know.

After a free month, I pretty much determined it was the most important thing I could be subscribed to and made room.

I really think giving customers a taste is important. I guess you can argue that if you’ve bought an Xbox anyway, you’re going to give it a try at some point, which, fair. All I know is that experience instantly won me over, instead of me hemming and hawing for months before doing it.

Actually, are we sure it isn’t just built in digitally? Like an option to try it for one month on the console itself?

I haven't seen anything like that on my dash, but maybe it's because I already have a few years. But even if it's there I think including something in the box would be more effective in bringing it to people's attention.

I mean they boxed the Series X so elegantly, they should have a card in a nice envelope with an invitation to try GP.

Bridges

Yeah that really stuck out to me. I swear I picked up and read through the long piece of cardboard with setup instructions 3 or 4 times looking for a trial code for Gold or Game Pass or something. Not a big deal since I already have it, but I feel like the real one-two punch of the Series X is turning it on and realizing there are so many great games all available right now on Game Pass. A code or some kind of pack-in would've been nice.

On a separate note, I've been playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order thanks to the Game Pass/EA Play deal, and it's a pretty good time but wow those load times are pretty rough even on Series X when you die, I have a friend playing it on a base Xbox One and I can't imagine how bad it is over there. I actually had a moment during combat where I started running away to avoid a death and the whole game froze in place and the loading icon started spinning for what felt like at least half a minute, can't remember the last time I'd seen that in a single player game. Guess that just shows you can't brute force every game into great performance.

-Arcadia-

Banned
5 multiplayer is really, really fun, like top multiplayer games of this generation fun. It plays that well, and some new ideas about movement, really enhanced it for me, and made fights more intense, while taking the clunk out.

It’s nice to be able to dodge under cover, or not argue with the level geometry until you get shot in the head, for trying to jump to something slightly above you.

Unfortunately, I’ve chosen this avatar, which makes this post all for naught.

Top Bottom