• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yeah that really stuck out to me. I swear I picked up and read through the long piece of cardboard with setup instructions 3 or 4 times looking for a trial code for Gold or Game Pass or something. Not a big deal since I already have it, but I feel like the real one-two punch of the Series X is turning it on and realizing there are so many great games all available right now on Game Pass. A code or some kind of pack-in would've been nice.

On a separate note, I've been playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order thanks to the Game Pass/EA Play deal, and it's a pretty good time but wow those load times are pretty rough even on Series X when you die, I have a friend playing it on a base Xbox One and I can't imagine how bad it is over there. I actually had a moment during combat where I started running away to avoid a death and the whole game froze in place and the loading icon started spinning for what felt like at least half a minute, can't remember the last time I'd seen that in a single player game. Guess that just shows you can't brute force every game into great performance.

Yeah, WTF was up with those loading times after dying in Jedi FO? Those are Bethesda quality times. When QR wasn't working at first loading the game every time took forever too.

Game Pass is killing it lately, but just think about when content starts dropping from the Xbox first party studios, day in date, that's the real crux of the current strategy...

LEWAEmD.png

Last edited:

CatLady

Game Pass is killing it lately, but just think about when content starts dropping from the Xbox first party studios, day in date, that's the real crux of the current strategy.

LEWAEmD.png

It's going to be insane. I've never had a backlog before GP, I was really particular about what games I'd buy and never even really looked at smaller/Indie games, hell I never even heard of most of them.

Game Pass has really broadened my gaming experience and introduced me to games I never would have enjoyed otherwise. Now they keep adding top tier games I'm already interested in, added even more now that they have included EA Play and continue adding quality Indies that really appeal to me, I feel like, damn GP, slowdown I've already got way too many games in my "Play Later" list let me catch up a little bit.

When their 1st party start cranking about bangers it's going to be way TOO MUCH. It's a great problem to have though for only $15 (or less) a month.

silentstorm

So, is EA Play there to stay, because it's another big backlog but curious if i should rush in and make sure to play some games before paying an extra fee is obligatory.

Also, EA is trying to buy Codemasters, if that happens there goes more titles for EA Play.

Doncabesa

So, is EA Play there to stay, because it's another big backlog but curious if i should rush in and make sure to play some games before paying an extra fee is obligatory.

Also, EA is trying to buy Codemasters, if that happens there goes more titles for EA Play.
I'd imagine it's there for a long time, at least a year if not for longer.

asocirev

Speaking of InXile, this rumor has been kicking around for a while, would make a cool idea either way

wow, I was just looking at Arcanum in GOG last night, only 6 bucks! I hope this is true because I loved that game and playing an extremely stupid half-ogre that could barely speak - every NPC in the game got frustrated trying to talk with me. I was blown away at how much the dialogue changed based on character choices.... but I digress.

I would love to spend time in another steampunk RPG (and the director having roots in Arcanum is a great start). Bring it on!

Does anyone think it's weird that Xbox doesn't include a free trial of Game Pass Ultimate with the new consoles? They always used to have a card with a code for a 10 or 14 day free trial of Live Gold in all the consoles I've bought in the past, but there was nothing with my Series X.

I don't really care since I have a few years of GPU, but I thought it odd they didn't have something for people new to the Xbox eco-system since it's the greatest thing ever in gaming and the feature they are pushing the hardest. It seems like a big missed opportunity to me.

All of the new customers with new GTs getting a $1 GP Ultimate trial advertised on the dashboard by default.

Especially now in Dec, they have promo $1 for 3mo GPU.

Bar none an Unbeatable service, nothin but faxs!!

Gerdav

Aaron Greenberg said last week it’s not leaving anytime soon.

Flintty

Whoa, Halo 5 is much better than people would have you believe :eek:

Scrolling through gamepass and EA Play now like

5AaSp8DlGLVzscjKcTEoujQeipvsX7sPvhp7pF54rZBNmZFL1VcP9dw7uNclQFTop-7kZYYRXql2cKaiuDVXqTfObe4NyCSWDsLENmb3C6Cp0hb0xw8l7wyJWmhbnAj3YYVxJ2zSJEPtfRCm0AfbXdNqkAhpes3L_R0

Shame I didn't know I was getting it. Would deffo have got CP2077 and some others on there.

Halo 5 was mechanically and systematically brilliant. Where it failed for me was story, and this is because of the arc they started with Halo 4. Potential spoilers ahead re. Cortana:

Halo was always about more than Master Chief. Cortana was just as important as him in her co-star protagonist role. An incredibly important dynamic. Taking her away from Chief’s side was a big mistake, and the way they evolved her character was a shambles. I get that AIs go rampant, but it was executed poorly. Add this to the second worse thing about the game - the bad guys, and it kinda fell flat (and repeated boring boss fights didn’t help).

Multiplayer was executed brilliantly and kept me playing for a long time. Warzone mode was superb.

TLDR: Mechanically, a superb Halo game.
Story and antagonists - well below the bar.

Mr.ODST

Halo 5 was mechanically and systematically brilliant. Where it failed for me was story, and this is because of the arc they started with Halo 4. Potential spoilers ahead re. Cortana:

Halo was always about more than Master Chief. Cortana was just as important as him in her co-star protagonist role. An incredibly important dynamic. Taking her away from Chief’s side was a big mistake, and the way they evolved her character was a shambles. I get that AIs go rampant, but it was executed poorly. Add this to the second worse thing about the game - the bad guys, and it kinda fell flat (and repeated boring boss fights didn’t help).

Multiplayer was executed brilliantly and kept me playing for a long time. Warzone mode was superb.

TLDR: Mechanically, a superb Halo game.
Story and antagonists - well below the bar.

Alot of people like to Shit on H5 but the multiplayer is excellent and the amount of modes and content was great, got hooked on Warzone for ages

• Gears 5: Hivebusters (Dec 15): "Return to Gears 5 with the new Hivebusters campaign expansion. Play as Lahni, Keegan, and Mac — the heroes of Gears 5’s Escape mode 00 on their first operation as part of the secretive Hivebuster program." GPU
  • Colossus Down (Dec 16): "Join forces with Nika, MechaNika, Agatha and the Great Bleeding Pig in this peculiar and crazy mission of destruction of everything that isn't cool."
  • Freddy Spaghetti (Dec 16): "Walk, run, jump, slide, slap, smash, kick, dodge, and epic fail your way to the goal. Overcome the environment, master your spaghetti!"
  • MXGP 2020 (Dec 16): "Saddle up and challenge the 68 riders of the MXGP and MX2 categories, on the 19 circuits of the 2020 season, and have fun with the new features." GP
  • Synthetik: Ultimate (Dec 16): "SYNTHETIK is an unforgiving tactical shooter rogue-lite where freedom and experimentation is key. Fight in a world overrun by the Machine Legion and their Gods."
  • Elemental War TD (Dec 17): "Elemental War takes Tower Defenses to a new level with dozens of hours of single-player gameplay, and lots of indie love!"
  • Monster Train (Dec 17): "Monster Train is a strategic roguelike deck building game with a twist. Set on a train to hell, you’ll use tactical decision making to defend multiple vertical battlegrounds." GP
  • Neoverse (Dec 17): "Neoverse is a beautiful, fantastic game consisting of adventures with thrilling challenges. It is a strategic, action, rogue-lite, deck building game that will test the player’s skill." GP
  • Wilmot's Warehouse (Dec 17): "Wilmot's Warehouse is a puzzle game about keeping a warehouse running in tip-top shape. You play as Wilmot, a hard working warehouse employee tasked with pushing, sorting and stacking a variety of products." GP
  • 60 Parsecs! (Dec 18): "60 Parsecs! is an Atomic Space Age adventure of scavenge and survival. Keep your crew alive and ready for action. Make difficult choices, face soup shortages and other horrors of outer space."
  • 60 Seconds Reatomized (Dec 18): "The post-apocalyptic dark comedy is back - remastered and even more radioactive than before! Scavenge supplies, rescue your family, and stay alive in your fallout shelter."
  • Cattch (Dec 18): "Amazing! You’ve finally found something you really needed! Colourful and enthralling platform game with the bold anthropomorphic animal as protagonist!"
  • Goetia (Dec 18): "Goetia is a 2D adventure game taking place in England in the 1940s. Lead Abigail Blackwood, a spectral young girl who died 39 years ago."
  • Radio Commander (Dec 18): "In Radio Commander you are playing as an American military commander serving in US Army during the Vietnam War."

Last edited:

Mmnow

So after the update this week, Quick Resume is working like a dream. Haven't seen anything fail to open, which is all I expected. Great stuff!

But is anybody else noticing how quick it is all of a sudden? I haven't done any particularly scientific tests, but Jedi and Tetris open in not much more than a second or two now.

It might be specific use cases. Has anybody else noticed the improvement? Am I imagining this?

Night.Ninja

Banned
I think it depends on what games you have running when I have a Next generation game Like watch Dogs Legion running it can take between 8 to 12 seconds when its a last generation game it can take about 4 seconds.

Its only going to get better.

Ps watch dogs legion is still not in quick resume

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Mod support coming to Master Chief Collection? Supposed source is a 343i employee on Discord

0bcKrq8.jpg
I find that super hard to believe considering what it took to get these games running correctly in general. Granted, now that they have gone back in and properly ported the games, for the most part, perhaps they found a way.

Gerdav

I think it depends on what games you have running when I have a Next generation game Like watch Dogs Legion running it can take between 8 to 12 seconds when its a last generation game it can take about 4 seconds.

Its only going to get better.

Ps watch dogs legion is still not in quick resume

Not scientific, but I find the more games you have in a quick resume state the slower they are to load in general regardless of generation, Valhalla was taking less than 4 seconds I would estimate when it was re enabled, I now have Valhalla, Planet Coaster, CyberPunk and FH4 in quick resume and Valhalla takes a good 10-12 seconds.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ok I am really liking Halo 5 (lol). I dont really care for the stories beyond get to this checkpoint and shoot more grunts. I cant believe I get to play the falconeer as well as other great games and they are just there to download.

I really like the xboxdvr and screenshot stuff and the looking for group things are solid as well.

Definitely think MS will get stronger as the gen goes on as well. At least I know J get to play starfield this way.

Almost half a million became Pirate Legends? Wow, that's super impressive considering it takes a long time to achieve that.

I keep meaning to give this (Sea of Thieves) a try. I’ve got a few friends I’ve convinced to pick up Series X’s when they become more available so I think I have the means to form a ship crew.

Honestly....I‘m drowning in games I need/want to play it’s ridiculous. And I’m still waiting for Valhalla and Cyberpunk to get patched to my satisfaction. Once Flight Sim drops that’s going to be a massive time suck for me. I’m actually praying that Starfield DOESN’T drop in 2021. Forza Horizon 5 I’ll take...because I can play that one in short, satisfying little snippets.

CatLady

IGN gives it 8/10

They just keep coming don't they? I still need to finish FO 3 and Gears Tactics. I took a break from Fallout to play Call of he Sea (loved it). Now I'm back to Gears Tactics, really liking that game now that I finally understand how to play it it was confusing at first.

There are a bunch of other games I want to play too - there is just too much to play right now.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Dont feel like making a new thread, but whats next guys? Medium and then what?
2021? Check the first reply to this thread. Scorn, Shredders, Flight Simulator and Exo One are 2021. Phil said there are more surprises for 2021 so I guess he meant Starfield.

Top Bottom