• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Roberts

Just played The Medium for an hour or so. I wish it had a slightly higher resolution - there was some shimmering (for example, in the morgue), but, man, that game oozes mood. Really nice sound, lighting and the overall vibe. Can't wait to see how the story will fit in the whole political/history context that it constantly teases us with. I know it is not a game for everyone, but how the fuck can you give it 3/10 or 4/10?

there was some shimmering (for example, in the morgue),

I know the exact assets you are talking about. I noticed this clearly on my PC running at 1440p. Even upsampling the image to 4k didn't eliminate the shimmering there, nor did using DLSS or other AA methods. Tried a sharpening filter, didn't fix it either. I think it is just something in the game engine. I notice a table in the resort spazing out with some weird dithering even when I was standing right next to it.

Probably just bugs, especially since the shimmering is especially apparent on numerous items in that morgue, yet nowhere near as bad anywhere else so far.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just played The Medium for an hour or so. I wish it had a slightly higher resolution - there was some shimmering (for example, in the morgue), but, man, that game oozes mood. Really nice sound, lighting and the overall vibe. Can't wait to see how the story will fit in the whole political/history context that it constantly teases us with. I know it is not a game for everyone, but how the fuck can you give it 3/10 or 4/10?

Noticed that on the Series X and was worried it was the GPU going bad. Some artifacting at times.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
My Jaw dropped when I launched Medium on S|X..games got 9's-10's for a damn reason. Moody as hell with a great Silent Hillish story. Spooky Atmospher 2nd to none.

Wfmemhe.jpg

8b8cRGK.jpg

Ko8ZJjJ.jpg

dZRmmwj.jpg

No shit. I'm totally digging it so far.

Noticed that on the Series X and was worried it was the GPU going bad. Some artifacting at times.

Yeah, I watched that scene played on a Series X, then played through it myself on two different GPUs and the shimmering was present in that one scene all three times. Just a weird visual oddity

Night.Ninja

Banned
I spent 15 minutes playing the medium, this game definitely is not for me I don't have time for those old school PS2 slow walking games.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
^I played at different resolutions on a 2060 Super and at 4K I got those weird colored orbs artifacts, but not 1080p/1440p. It almost fit with the game, but it's certain to be a glitch.

Question for the masses: My external hard drive doesnt seem to turn off when the XSX is shut down like my ps5 does. Ive got the option checked to shut down the external drive when xbox is turned off but the light doesnt go out so I'm assuming its still on. Anything I'm missing?

Its a Western digital black 5TB p10.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I get why people love the game but most of my gripes from the original are ratcheted up a notch here.

-The chase sequences are more annoying than they are spectacle.
-I still don't love how the combat feels but it is so inconsequential after the first hour or so as the upgrades given out early make it really difficult to die from normal enemies, combat shrines or bosses.
-I still never feel perfectly comfortable with the controls and I think that is mostly due to the LB fling ability and the overall button mapping to the non-Jump air continuation tricks.

I don't hate it or anything and it sure does look and sound wonderful, I just wish I loved the mechanics more.

Going to give the Medium a whirl this weekend.

Desless1

Question for the masses: My external hard drive doesnt seem to turn off when the XSX is shut down like my ps5 does. Ive got the option checked to shut down the external drive when xbox is turned off but the light doesnt go out so I'm assuming its still on. Anything I'm missing?

No idea. My WD P10 game is shutting down after the cool down period of the fan in the Xbox.

Change USB port perhaps? I have mine in the bottom port on the backside on Series X.

Kagey K

Banned

Are you fully shutting your Xbox down or is it rest mode where it it is looking for and auto grabbing patches while you are away?

T-Cake

My Seagate HDD does the same. It shuts off then 60 seconds later spins up and then spins down. Repeat forever. Ive unchecked The box so the disk stays on which will be better for its health. But if I’ve finished for the day, I do a complete power down. With only 20 seconds to get gaming from a cold boot, I don’t see the need for leaving it on overnight.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Does 12 months EA Access still convert to 4 months GP Ultimate if you are an existing subscriber to GP Ultimate?

3 months GPU - £32

12 months EA (converts to 4 months GPU) £20

Last edited:

Roberts

So, I played The Medium (on XSX) a bit more and I think it is pretty great. More like a point and click adventure game (without much pointing) than a walking simulator, but it is not what makes it captivating for me. I totally understand how most can find it boring or that it is a polarising game, but it will definitely speak to those of us who have lived through the end years of Soviet regime and its aftermath. The whole thing left a lot of ghosts and I don't mean that in the literal way.

Also, they patched it this morning and I think it fixed some tech issues that some people had. At least I don't have any of the loading textures glitches or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I played The Medium (on XSX) a bit more and I think it is pretty great. More like a point and click adventure game (without much pointing) than a walking simulator, but it is not what makes it captivating for me. I totally understand how most can find it boring or that it is a polarising game, but it will definitely speak to those of us who have lived through the end years of Soviet regime and its aftermath. The whole thing left a lot of ghosts and I don't mean that in the literal way.

Also, they patched it this morning and I think it fixed some tech issues that some people had. At least I don't have any of the loading textures glitches or anything like that.

If you don't mind me asking, are you all the way from Russia?

Edit: yea I noticed that about the Stealthy patch dropp today but had no clue about the tech notes.

Last edited:

Gatox

Banned
So I`m fairly new on here, though I have lurked for quite a while. But dear god some of the arguments put forward on here are unbelievable. I asked in that Microsoft purchase thread about why its deemed better for a company to buy a dev who once made a game for them exclusively, well by better they mean LESS EVIL!!!!!! I`m now stuck in an argument with some muppet who said it just is, and he thinks that a well though out explanation..

Sorry for the whining, but I`m going to use this thread as a bolthole away from the madness I think :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I'm absolutely loving this game. It looks great, sounds great and plays great. I'm not a fan of fixed cameras but I've gotten used to it in this game and the other aspects make it worth putting up with. I hope they leave the ending open to sequels, because I would like to see more of The Medium games.

I also think any reviewers giving it a 30 or 40 score is criminal. You may not like this type of game or the story but there is NO WAY this game is a 30 or a 40 score.

Moogle11

Banned
So I`m fairly new on here, though I have lurked for quite a while. But dear god some of the arguments put forward on here are unbelievable. I asked in that Microsoft purchase thread about why its deemed better for a company to buy a dev who once made a game for them exclusively, well by better they mean LESS EVIL!!!!!! I`m now stuck in an argument with some muppet who said it just is, and he thinks that a well though out explanation..

Sorry for the whining, but I`m going to use this thread as a bolthole away from the madness I think :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Yeah key to enjoying Gaf is staying the fuck away from sales threads, threads arguing game performance across platforms etc. Game review threads are pretty painful too, especially for any exclusives due to all the fanboy nonsense.

Stick with the platform OTs like this, game OTs (most of the bickering seems to stay in review and performance threads in my experience, and mods tend to clamp down on fanboy crap in OTs if reported) and some random poll/question threads and it’s mostly enjoyable.

It will probably never be the hotbed of gaming discussion that it used to be as most of the game OT crowd left for era or left forums all together for Discord and other outlets. But it’s still useful for skimming for news and chatting in threads like this and the few games that get active OTs.

Elias

also, that halo infinite blog post is ridiculously long, so expect a lot of news "articles" taking pieces of from it to use as headlines, haha.

Yeah key to enjoying Gaf is staying the fuck away from sales threads, threads arguing game performance across platforms etc. Game review threads are pretty painful too, especially for any exclusives due to all the fanboy nonsense.

Agreed. I rarely venture outside of this thread for the reasons you stated.

This thread is a great resource for Xbox gamers, and continued to thanks to those who are on top of all the newest developments and provide the links to them.

Gatox

Banned

Stick with the platform OTs like this, game OTs (most of the bickering seems to stay in review and performance threads in my experience, and mods tend to clamp down on fanboy crap in OTs if reported) and some random poll/question threads and it’s mostly enjoyable.

It will probably never be the hotbed of gaming discussion that it used to be as most of the game OT crowd left for era or left forums all together for Discord and other outlets. But it’s still useful for skimming for news and chatting in threads like this and the few games that get active OTs.
Yeah ive rapidly came to that conclusion, unfortunately. I'm far too old for those fuckwits moronic takes based on a piece of plastic they arbitrarily bought.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Does 12 months EA Access still convert to 4 months GP Ultimate if you are an existing subscriber to GP Ultimate?

3 months GPU - £32

12 months EA (converts to 4 months GPU) £20
You can get 12 months EA Play from Shopto for £17.85. I bought it the other month when it was £16, it automatically converted to the 4 months GPU.

splattered

Not trying to be negative about it but how is Halo Infinite's launch content JUST NOW finished and ready for bug squashing/polish?

Either the game really wasn't ready at all for SX launch or they changed way more in-game content than people are expecting.. hmmm

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah ive rapidly came to that conclusion, unfortunately. I'm far too old for those fuckwits moronic takes based on a piece of plastic they arbitrarily bought.
Same. In my 40s, never had any loyalty to any corporations (gaming or otherwise) and make plenty of money to buy every console so it's a moot point anyway. I'm all about the games and have no patience for fanboys. Those are mostly just people who are too poor to afford them all, too busy to justify owning them all or kids who's parents won't buy them all. They then end up defensive and ranting due to their FOMO bugging them as all platforms have great exclusive games and features and you're simply going to miss out if you don't have the means to own and play them all.

Last edited:

Elias

Not trying to be negative about it but how is Halo Infinite's launch content JUST NOW finished and ready for bug squashing/polish?

Either the game really wasn't ready at all for SX launch or they changed way more in-game content than people are expecting.. hmmm
??? They didn't say that the game was just now content complete. They just said they are in the polishing bugs phase. And they didn't change any content, Staten played through the campaign months ago.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Yeah, it’s proper bananas. In a relatively small industry like gaming, where there’s only 3 major console manufacturers, it’s likely that everyone has good relations with everyone.

The fact that they think the studios have no agency in whether they get purchased, and that Sony just have a divine right to cherry pick whoever they want, is pretty amusing and sad.

There’s no romanticising it, you either support acquisitions or are against them. It’s not ok for Sony to do it just because Mark Cenry got a BJ from a programmer at Naughty Dog 27 years ago or whatever the fuck they are on about. Loons.

Top Bottom