• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Diablos54

Holy shit, I just got to
Boins' Leg
, and was killing some birds and fish around a pond when I attacked a group of level 73 Lahar Flamii birds, and lived! Damn this game is fun! :D

McNum

kiryogi said:
Melia is the only character that has an instant topple attack that works on nearly any enemies including bosses. Its why she's the cheesiest character and best :D in terms of using her, she's an ether powerhouse with crazy aoe dealing spells. Use in conjunction with her sleep spell as well.
Yeah, I had a feeling she'd be like that. I looked over her starting arts and I could see that she'd either be useless or broken with arts like that. Didn't see a Topple attack, but do you mean an attack that sips break and goes directly to Topple? That's nasty.

I'd try to control her myself, but I really don't trust the AI with the Monado. That thing has too many skills that needs to be used at the right time to win or die horribly. Not that the AI is bad, but it doesn't know restraint. I really don't want to see Shulk do a Monado Buster just before we really wanted a Shield up during a vision against a boss.

Also, thought of another little trick about the game that I like. Your lead character gets KOd. The AI teammates will use Revive on you. Compare to Final Fantasy XIII and laugh.

kiryogi

Banned
McNum said:
Yeah, I had a feeling she'd be like that. I looked over her starting arts and I could see that she'd either be useless or broken with arts like that. Didn't see a Topple attack, but do you mean an attack that sips break and goes directly to Topple? That's nasty.

I'd try to control her myself, but I really don't trust the AI with the Monado. That thing has too many skills that needs to be used at the right time to win or die horribly. Not that the AI is bad, but it doesn't know restraint. I really don't want to see Shulk do a Monado Buster just before we really wanted a Shield up during a vision against a boss.

Also, thought of another little trick about the game that I like. Your lead character gets KOd. The AI teammates will use Revive on you. Compare to Final Fantasy XIII and laugh.

Spear Break -> Starlight Knee = Profit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm interested in playing this through Dolphin. I was poking around the Dolphin site, and I didn't see any info on creating an ISO from the disc. Can I just put the disc in my DVD-rom drive and it will recognize it? Do I have to rip the disc on my own? Is there some special program I need to transfer a retail Wii disc into a Dolphin ISO?

FlyinJ said:
I'm interested in playing this through Dolphin. I was poking around the Dolphin site, and I didn't see any info on creating an ISO from the disc. Can I just put the disc in my DVD-rom drive and it will recognize it? Do I have to rip the disc on my own? Is there some special program I need to transfer a retail Wii disc into a Dolphin ISO?

Only a very small number of DVD-rom drives are able to correctly read a Wii (or a GameCube) disc.

The way to get an ISO of your game to your PC is a bit complicated. It involves ripping the game from your Wii to a USB drive (or an SD card/flash drive). This requires you to install the Homebrew Channel on your Wii, as well as a few more programs.

Here is the GAF Wiki for installing Homebrew. The program you will want is called Configurable USB Loader. The entire process for installing the programs on your Wii should take you less than an hour at most, and probably closer to a half-hour. I just installed Configurable USB Loader last week to be able to play Xenoblade -- a side benefit is that I will have the ISO on a drive for whenever I eventually get a Dophin-capable PC.

Loto

yursnhere said:
I received my game today from game.uk!! I am in California for what it's worth.

I ordered from game and live in California too... no Xenoblade here. I am assuming tomorrow then =)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
SecretMoblin said:
Only a very small number of DVD-rom drives are able to correctly read a Wii (or a GameCube) disc.

The way to get an ISO of your game to your PC is a bit complicated. It involves ripping the game from your Wii to a USB drive (or an SD card/flash drive). This requires you to install the Homebrew Channel on your Wii, as well as a few more programs.

Here is the GAF Wiki for installing Homebrew. The program you will want is called Configurable USB Loader. The entire process for installing the programs on your Wii should take you less than an hour at most, and probably closer to a half-hour. I just installed Configurable USB Loader last week to be able to play Xenoblade -- a side benefit is that I will have the ISO on a drive for whenever I eventually get a Dophin-capable PC.

Ah, ok, yeah I read all about the Homebrew Channel. I'm a bit leery of modding my Wii as I'm afraid I'm going to brick it. I have a very powerful PC though, and was hoping to be able to import it and just play it through Dolphin. Seems like Hombrew is the only real alternative then... thanks.

Gvaz

Banned
God damn this game owns. Tankin, DPSn, Healan, good graphics, an utterly predictable story, quests, a great combat system, drops, customization, absolutely enormous levels for a wii game, aggro'n mobs, rare tough mobs, light/day cycles, skill trees, upgrading skills, gemming special armors, etc

God damn.

sdornan

Gvaz said:
God damn this game owns. Tankin, DPSn, Healan, good graphics, an utterly predictable story, quests, a great combat system, drops, customization, absolutely enormous levels for a wii game, aggro'n mobs, rare tough mobs, light/day cycles, skill trees, upgrading skills, gemming special armors, etc

God damn.

Eh?

Gvaz

Banned
So far every single element of the story I predicted happening happened.

"oh he's playing off how injured his arm is look at him lol he's trying to make her leave so he can be an invalid in private....yep can't even hold the spoon"

"yep the nerdy Shulk who's handled the Monado before is gonna get controlled just like the dumb guy,...yep"

LaneDS

Trying not to read much/any of this thread (so apologies if this was answered recently), but with Reyn's auras can he only keep one active at a time? I.e. if he's AI controlled, should I just assign one slot to an aura?

I died horribly against a unique monster in the
Colony 6 pits
. Just got mobbed by normal enemies as I was fighting it! That was a very tough battle, but luckily I just scraped by the second time I tried. Currently level 22 and just got to the
central pit

Eusis said:
I'm guessing that's highlighted as an example of how story really is secondary to gameplay for once in a Monolith Soft RPG?

Or maybe that unlike all of Xenosaga and some of Xenogears, Xenoblade's story actually makes sense? XD

It is kinda odd to hear "predictable" and "Monolith Soft" in the same sentence though.

UberTag

jediyoshi said:
Oh God. Monolith Soft just ate Square's lunch.
Companies that do JRPGs better than Square Enix in 2011 = Monolith Soft, Game Freak, Atlus, From Software, Tales Studio, Level 5, Mistwalker... am I forgetting anyone?

I'm broke so no import for me for at least a few months if not next year.

do you guys playing this game think its good enough for an HD Wii U remake?

the game just sounds so awesome to me

FlyinJ said:
Ah, ok, yeah I read all about the Homebrew Channel. I'm a bit leery of modding my Wii as I'm afraid I'm going to brick it. I have a very powerful PC though, and was hoping to be able to import it and just play it through Dolphin. Seems like Hombrew is the only real alternative then... thanks.

I was extremely nervous about bricking my relatively new Wii, but honestly the hardest part of the whole process was that mental roadblock. There is no chance of bricking the Wii if you follow the guide precisely, and there are several benefits.

I'm glad I did it.

The Int3rsect said:
So in all seriousness, how does this game stack up to the classic gen JRPG's?

I don't really know why you'd compare a game that kinda freshens it all up, but it's as good or better than older JRPGs.

Mojojo

Awesome wallpapers!

So now that I have reached Frontier village, I have decided to tackle some old areas with my Sharla/Reyn/Melia team, and there are still some mysteries I haven't resolved in Tephra caves :
Just before the underground lake, Villa Lake, the tunnel forks and there is an unreachable Mine Ore, never found how to get there.
And then in Villa Lake itself, there is this Warehouse door behind a waterfall, but I never found the key...:(

kiryogi

Banned
Mojojo said:
Awesome wallpapers!

So now that I have reached Frontier village, I have decided to tackle some old areas with my Sharla/Reyn/Melia team, and there are still some mysteries I haven't resolved in Tephra caves :
Just before the underground lake, Villa Lake, the tunnel forks and there is an unreachable Mine Ore, never found how to get there.
And then in Villa Lake itself, there is this Warehouse door behind a waterfall, but I never found the key...:(

Endgame.

Mojojo

kiryogi said:
Endgame.
Thanks, I suspected something like that, because I have inspected every nook and cranny of this damn place, expecting some secret passage I could have missed
similar to the sliding wall in Exile Fortress or the very tight passageway in Ether cave after the explosion
I spent a good hour hugging the walls >.< ...

McNum

kiryogi said:
Spear Break -> Starlight Knee = Profit.
I don't think she has Starlight Knee yet. Only level 32-ish. Her low HP and Sharla's ability to lose aggro pretty much means that Shulk is stuck as monster target with that team. Not too good when you want to Back Attack them. Or can I use the summons as tanks?

kiryogi

Banned
McNum said:
I don't think she has Starlight Knee yet. Only level 32-ish. Her low HP and Sharla's ability to lose aggro pretty much means that Shulk is stuck as monster target with that team. Not too good when you want to Back Attack them. Or can I use the summons as tanks?

You should be able to nuke everything with her before things become an issue.

Hiltz

I got the "you're product has been dispatched" e-mail on August 19th from 365 games the day after I bought Xenoblade from it.

I won't be modding my Wii until I get the game.

jediyoshi

wish there was a way to keep one armor's appearance with the stats of another. napon helm > all

VD3Ip.jpg

SecretMoblin said:
Those should be linked in the OP. Wonderful!
Mojojo said:
Awesome wallpapers!
gratzi! here's an avatar dump

q3Xjl.jpg
sgy0H.jpg
I0imN.jpg
z9Xzi.jpg
qg3LJ.png
o2QUv.jpg
b2aUS.jpg
hkrw8.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
This game is fucking retarded. Retardedly awesome that is.

The creators of Xenosaga made this? Welp goodbye social life.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Int3rsect said:
So in all seriousness, how does this game stack up to the classic gen JRPG's?
Let's just say, it's up there.

You can't really compare to the SNES/PS1 era. 1) Those games are too drenched in nostaliga to ever be fairly compared to anything and 2) Xenoblade is so technically beyond anything on those platforms that I'd be tempted to say it's way better in terms of gameplay, but that isn't really fair given the generational difference.

I'd say that it only truly compares to the PS2 generation and onward, and in that sense, it's one of the best games. Many people thought XII was one of the best last gen, and this takes that formula and just might give it a run for its money, depending on the individual.

I don't know how well it compares on intangibles: ability to make you cry, motivation to make fanfics, or dress up in cosplay, or make you FANBOY THE HELL OUT.... but technically, as a game, it's one of the better jRPGs ever made. Don't let that overhype you, it's just a good open-world adventure game, but sure: it's a jRPG must-play, no doubt about that.

Gvaz

Banned
I've played quite a bit of JPRGs and I'm gonna say the five hour's I've played is easily better than 90% of them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well Im gonna call it quits for the night. Close to 40 hours in
just arrived at Eryth Sea
. I really hope the plot will start to ramp up big time here cause honestly ever since I left Colony 6 the story has been just slogging along without much zeal, I mean the most interesting and major plot event so far in the game was within the first 5 or so hours in the starting area, everything after that has just been coasting along on its wave.

Its almost as if there's too much to do outside the main story, which feels wrong to say with how short so many games are these days, but I kind of feel like the early plot isnt strong or meaty enough to bare the weight of 200 or so sidequests that took up literally 60% of those 40 hours Ive played. Right now Im not exactly chomping at the bit to advance the story so much as I am compelled by my OCD need to collect items, level and explore the incredibly gorgeous environments that keeps me going.

do you guys playing this game think its good enough for an HD Wii U remake?

Why anyone'd want to ruin such a great game with shitty controls and even shittier graphics is and always will be beyond me.

This has been a post by your resident too-big-controller-and-HD-visuals-hater.

Hello fellow Nopons! I have a couple queries about some Colony 9 quests...

Where do you find King Squeeze in Colony 9 for the "impersonable critic" quest and where do find the Light Skeeters?

Mega thanks in advance! And this game is such an awesome fusion of RPG mechanics added with great accessibility from the get go. =)

Played til about 0330 this morning and am feeling it at work. ;__;

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
donkey show said:

Where do you find King Squeeze in Colony 9 for the "impersonable critic" quest and where do find the Light Skeeters?

Mega thanks in advance!

The credit shark is from 9pm onwards in the corner of the business district you can only reach by jumping down a ledge behind a building. Its the top left spot in the business disrict, you can get there a bit to the east.

Additionally:

Light Skeeters can be found outside of the business district to the right, on the shore.Not sure which time.

kiryogi

Banned
donkey show said:

Mega thanks in advance! And this game is such an awesome fusion of RPG mechanics added with great accessibility from the get go. =)

Light Skeeters = inner tepha cavern I believe.

Toma said:
The credit shark is from 9pm onwards in the corner of the business district you can only reach by jumping down a ledge behind a building. Its the top left spot in the business disrict, you can get there a bit to the east.
Cool, I'll check there around that time. I swear I ran by, but it probably was slightly earlier than that.

And that brings to mind another great addition to the game, switching time of day on the fly. So good. =)

kiryogi said:
Light Skeeters = inner tepha cavern I believe.

Sweet. Just past that part so I'll head back and check it out. Thanks for the quick replies! =)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Question myself!

There is a guy called
Dionysos
who gives you a quest in colony 9.
He is old and needs something for his back.
I dont know whats it called in english, but where the hell am I supposed to find that? Cleared every other available sidequest I found.

Klyka

Banned
Toma said:
Question myself!

There is a guy called
Dionysos
I dont know whats it called in english, but where the hell am I supposed to find that? Cleared every other available sidequest I found.

Main entrance of Colony 9 at night. Jump down to the beach under the bridge. Kill some Brogs.

Toma said:
Question myself!

There is a guy called
Dionysos
Have you
jumped down near the beach under the main entrance bridge and fought the Brog down there? They drop some brog item that you need for the quest. Then you truck your way back to the residential district and give it to him.

EDIT: Beaten >__<

Top Bottom