• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Rich!

tempted to buy a Panasonic 32PD30 purely for this game. CRT TV with component in - would look incredible, as well as being great for my Dreamcast and SNES.

-KRS-

OMG this is out! Damn I don't have any money for games right now. I hope it's not one of those games that'll become impossible to find new in a month or two...

TheContact

I bought this for my Wii and tried playing it on my 47'' LCD HDTV...needless to say it looks bad. I went out and bought component cables but it just made things look sharper and even worse. I managed to rip the game to my PC's hard drive and play it through the dolphin emulator and there are no jaggies, everything is smooth, and it just looks amazing. The only problem is my computer monitor is only like 21'' or something =\

I _COULD_ hook it up to my TV, but I play the game with the mouse+keyboard so it would be weird trying to play this from my couch =p

Rich!

carfo said:
I bought this for my Wii and tried playing it on my 47'' LCD HDTV...needless to say it looks bad. I went out and bought component cables but it just made things look sharper and even worse. I managed to rip the game to my PC's hard drive and play it through the dolphin emulator and there are no jaggies, everything is smooth, and it just looks amazing. The only problem is my computer monitor is only like 21'' or something =\

I _COULD_ hook it up to my TV, but I play the game with the mouse+keyboard so it would be weird trying to play this from my couch =p

What the?

Even if you have ripped your game, and played it on dolphin, why wouldn't you use the wii-remote and classic controller to play it via bluetooth?

Mlatador

Banned
richisawesome said:
tempted to buy a Panasonic 32PD30 purely for this game. CRT TV with component in - would look incredible, as well as being great for my Dreamcast and SNES.

God damnit, go for it! Espesially if you have SD Consoles. When everyone switched to LCD a couple of years ago, I got me 2 CRTs (one being the biggest and best one in Europe) and NEVER regret it!

I'm sooo happy! I love my old consoles, espcially my SNES.

So, why are you even thinking. DO IT!

Rich!

Mlatador said:
God damnit, go for it! Espesially if you have SD Consoles. When everyone switched to LCD a couple of years ago, I got me 2 CRTs (one being the biggest and best one in Europe) and NEVER regret it!

I'm sooo happy! I love my old consoles, espcially my SNES.

So, why are you even thinking. DO IT!

Just asked the girlfriend if I could drive to yorkshire to pick up this 32" CRT. Her reply consisted of 'fuck off'.

IM GONNA DO IT ANYHOW.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alextended said:
How?

And what are your PC specs?
Well, you can rip it with a Wii and a portable HDD. I'll let someone else go in depth on that.

The game is actually running pretty well with a Phenum II at 2.8 GHz, using a specific version of Dolphin. I only tried it for a good 10 minutes, but it seems good so far.

Rich!

Drkirby said:
Well, you can rip it with a Wii and a portable HDD. I'll let someone else go in depth on that.

The game is actually running pretty well with a Phenum II at 2.8 GHz, using a specific version of Dolphin. I only tried it for a good 10 minutes, but it seems good so far.

I'm gonna try it out later on mine. I can run Twilight Princess just fine, so Xenoblade should be good. Not sure how I'd transfer my save over though..

qg3LJ.png

I'll take this! Thanks!!

Dunbar

Wait, does the game really look better on a CRT? I have a 32" CRT with component in and a 47" HDTV right next to each other, the CRT used for pre-HD games. Is it a better idea to hook up the Wii to that and play the game in 480i than using the HDTV for 480p?

Seik

Banned
carfo said:

Do yourself a favor and buy a blutooth dongle so that your Wiimote/Classic Controller can work on your pc. DO IT!

RPGCrazied

Dunbar said:
Wait, does the game really look better on a CRT? I have a 32" CRT with component in and a 47" HDTV right next to each other, the CRT used for pre-HD games. Is it a better idea to hook up the Wii to that and play the game in 480i than using the HDTV for 480p?

Yes. Play on the CRT with component.

TheContact

Alextended said:
How?

And what are your PC specs?

There might be different ways to do this, but I...

bought an LG GDR 8164B dvd drive (it can rip wii dvds) and I used nero to make an .iso. that's it =)

my pc specs aren't that great, but i have an i5 2.60 and a gtx460 video card with 4gb ram. it runs at 100% most of the time, slowing down to 90% during some scenes.

I don't have a bluetooth adaptor for my pc so that's why I play mouse+keyboard. I am going to pick one up this weekend when I have time though, although I find the mouse+keyboard controls to be very comfortable.

Gambit

Everyone is so much faster than me, wish I had more time to play atm.

I am three hours in and just started my journey.

I cannot believe my childhood love interest actually got killed! I really liked her voice actress and miss her already. The whole sequence leading up to Shulk and Reyn wandering off with Dunban looking out the window after them was incredible.

It has been forever since any RPG has drawn me in as quickly as this has. Well, at least on consoles, Radiant Historia did the same. (And I will finish it this week, I think)

Varion

BlazingDarkness said:
At the 50 hour mark, just reached Eryth Sea
Alcamoth
looks incredible! :O
Man and I thought I was playing slowly.

51:26 and arrived in the next major field area. Not moving on for a while though, got a lot of subquesting to do. I actually arrived in the next area with the enemies my level for once, clearly that's a sign I need to quest more.

McNum

I hate sickdays. Except when I have a brand new JRPG to play. That almost makes it up for the pain.

Anyway, did a Wiimote battery killing run in the game today. Got from
Makna Forest
to partly through
Alcamoth
. I keep having to remind myself that this is a Wii game, the art is just so good, even if it some times becomes painfully obvious what corners they've cut. I'm liking where the story is going, I'm so headed for a fake-out final dungeon soon.

I've gotten the hang of Melia, too. She's powerful. Really powerful! I think I got a party that can take on most things that they're supposed to at their level. Shulk, Melia, Sharla. It all comes down to positioning with Shulk and Monado abuse on that team. Get behind the monsters so they'll have to turn around to attack the other two, and then show them why that's a bad idea with back attacks. This lets Melia do her blasty thing and Sharla her healing thing mostly in peace. If a foe is attacking Melia or Sharla with normal attacks, they get a Monado Speed thrown their way. That'll hold until Sharla gets a heal off. Just had that setup tested in one hell of a boss fight.
The one in the Tomb with the giant bird and the evil woman.

Also... Riki. I was wondering when the "WTF?!" character would show up. I want to both kick him and hug him at the same time...

More general game musing: I think this game is one of those I've been whining about not existing. It does take good parts of JRPGs and WRPGs and mixes it into something that's its very own. Add to that modern gaming conveniences like regenerating health and frequent checkpoints and you've got a very modern game rooted in tradition. There'll be more musings to follow, I'm sure.

Zafir said:
Yikes, 50hours at
Eryth Sea
? I'm there and I'm only just under 30hours.
:lol I could probably have stretched out a good few more hours before going too, still got sidequests unfinished but I wanted to progress the story a wee bit

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
MYE said:
Man, we need a spoiler thread at some point. Its raining black bars in here

This game is 100 hours long and
fYj04.png
... I mean seriously you would need to spoiler shit anyway because no one would be on the same level.

Spoiler threads are only good for people who've completed it, and I don't think anyone has yet
No way I'm going in there if there's story spoilers all over the place

Zafir

BlazingDarkness said:
:lol I could probably have stretched out a good few more hours before going too, still got sidequests unfinished but I wanted to progress the story a wee bit
I counted how many sidequests I've done so far last night. I'm in the 90s, lol.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Still no receipts in NA yet I guess. I'm betting next week is more likely. As long as it gets here before Labor Day.

Aeana

truly101 said:
Still no receipts in NA yet I guess. I'm betting next week is more likely. As long as it gets here before Labor Day.
A few of us in the US have gotten it. I got mine yesterday.

Varion

Kjellson said:
Okay, I got the game today and just one quick question before I start to play:

WiiMote or Classic Controller?
Classic Controller, definitely.

Providing it's a Pro anyway, if it isn't... I dunno. Never used the original CC.

Reveirg

truly101 said:

A few people already said they received it yesterday (a few from game and from asda I believe)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Aeana said:
A few of us in the US have gotten it. I got mine yesterday.

Oh okay, I couldn't tell a concensus if anyone from the US had received it, the only ones I could tell that were from the US, like RPGSonnytheCoocoobird, had definitely not received it. I wouldn't want to be near him when it happens. I'm thinking he's going to ejaculate and then punch random people.

RPGCrazied

^were you making fun of me? :> So I'm excitied. Sue me.

I should get it today. I mean someone in my area got his yesterday, course we used different sites, but still. Come on!

Reveirg

Regulair Mail (Canada Post) passed by and no package... though I'm fairly sure that for box-like parcels, another postman comes by later during the day.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
RPGCrazied said:
^were you making fun of me? :>

I should get it today. I mean someone in my area got his yesterday, course we used different sites, but still. Come on!

Dude, I'm expecting full Tazmanian Devil when that thing appears in your mailbox. In fact, I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

RPGCrazied said:
^were you making fun of me? :> So I'm excitied. Sue me.

Don't forget to sit near your mailbox! Actually do a live stream 1 hour before mail comes!

RPGCrazied

Oh leave me alone guys. :p

I'll take a picture of my TV with the title screen with the box on the side, but that's all I'm doing.. and of course play all day.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
12 hours in, level 21. Just attempted to rescue
Juju
. I've been trying to complete all the time restricted quest before venturing on, but a few of them it appears I have to level up a bit.

And because I'm exploring a lot, mapping out areas, I tend to have the items for Material Quests as soon as I accept them. Hooray..

Aeana

The_Technomancer said:
I thought you were actually in Japan for some reason...
I suppose it's understandable for people to get that idea, but no, I haven't lived in Japan in a little over a decade.

Top Bottom